Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section

Old 1st October 2010, 12:16   #1
BHPian

Default The Contessa Club meets at Bangalore

The First Informal Contessa Club meet happened on 19th sep 2010.

A bright Sunday morning saw some similar looking old cars lined up on 19th Sept 2010 on IRR Koramangala, Bangalore. Some youngster were pulling out their mobiles and clicking pictures while others on cars, bikes, buses were intrigued with the lineup. The auto rickshaw guys were heard asking in Kannada “Yen saar linenalli kantessa nodidaraa ???” (What sir, did you see the Contessa’s lined up?). Little did they realize that they were looking at a piece of history and also history in the making.

The meet started off at 10 AM and cars began rolling form all directions. Some calling in for directions other lost and finding their way. By 10:30 AM seven of the ten cars were in and the wait was for the 8th, 9th and 10th car to come in.

The initial Lineup.

Name:  1.JPG
Views: 10886
Size:  205.4 KB
Name:  3.JPG
Views: 10688
Size:  218.7 KB
Name:  4.JPG
Views: 10794
Size:  172.3 KB

After the initial introductions, we discussed the agenda of the day and the foundation of CCI Conty Club India.

The men and their machines.
Well, if the cars are here so were the owners. We had the following members and their cars at the meet:
Tejdeep, Subramani & Sandeep, Leo, Vikram & Harish, Krishna, Sudhindra, Naveen, Gaviappa, Talapathi & Mike

Name:  5.JPG
Views: 10406
Size:  261.8 KB

There was also a muted conversation between the ladies lined up. The grandma yelled “I am the oldest at 1988 and have seen a couple of more workshops and oil changes than you girls”. The youngest lady was a 2003 and obviously throwing her exuberance around casually mentioned “Ohh, sister’s I am an MPFI”.
Name:  contys Medium.jpg
Views: 10942
Size:  83.4 KB

With high regard to the secular ideologies of our constitution, the only car in India with a badge that says “Hindustan” perhaps for being from its HM lineage. Nevertheless, we take national pride despite the Conty’s iteration from Vauxhall Victor-FE (1974).

Name:  hin Medium.jpg
Views: 11526
Size:  71.3 KB

From the Inner Ring Road, we moved in a convoy to the Chinna swamy stadium and later thru MG road-brigade road went upto Johnson Market, had some tea and dispersed.

Name:  6.JPG
Views: 9776
Size:  186.0 KB

Name:  SDC15924.JPG
Views: 9434
Size:  201.8 KB

A few highlights from the meet
Name:  all Medium.jpg
Views: 9278
Size:  71.7 KB

The Conty Club released their first issue of newsletter/magazine called the "Contraction" (from “Conty Traction” and “Contraction” also meaning to shrink in size) signifying the coming together of all the Conty Owners and their cars on a single platform.

Name:  MAG Medium.JPG
Views: 9149
Size:  85.1 KB

One can download the PDF version of the magazine here
NEWCCI.pdf

The details about the next meet will be informed shortly. Please spread the word across to as many conty owners as possible to bring them onto a single platform.

As part of the club, we have started an "Collective Sourcing Initiative" which is is an active initiative by Conty Club to source and procure parts directly from manufacturers. This program is to ensure the availability of critical parts that are no longer produced and are custom made for the Conty Club. This way, existing conty owners will not have much trouble in maintaining their cars. All this can happen when we have good numbers.

Regards,
Krishna & CCI

Last edited by Jaggu : 2nd October 2010 at 13:24. Reason: As requested.
kittigadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2010, 12:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

man these pics made my day i have never seen anything like this

i can help you guys with getting parts and even good mpfi contessa

and would love to sign up for membership
manikjeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2010, 13:13   #3
BHPian

The first pic left me in (as Jeremy Clarkson would say) a crisis!!

10 Contessas for a first meet is great for starters. Great going Bangalore boys. Let the numbers increase next time onwards.

And do share some more pics fellas!
MARCUS_520i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2010, 13:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic! The Contessa, I would say, is not a car at all; it's a ship.

Great going, you Bangalore Conty owners! I hope the numbers will go up day by day. And the photos are cool. Some more snaps would make all of us happier.
arvi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2010, 08:28   #5
BHPian

Its great to hear that India has finally got an OFFICIAL club for its very own Indian Muscle Car . Congrats again. Its really nice to see 10 Contessas for the first ever meet & would like to see many others in upcoming meets.
Its also nice to hear that club has already started "Collective Sourcing Initiative" which is the much better step ahead by the club for all members from Banglore as well as its members across India to procure the spares without any difficulty & keep their beauties in much original & well maintained condition.
BTW, nice magazine.
Way ahead to go Contessa Club.

Last edited by GTO : 5th October 2010 at 10:54. Reason: READ OUR RULES. No more than 2 smileys per post please
dhrishikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2010, 11:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

WOW!!!
Maan ,am i in dreamland? Contis' lied up one by one.
But am really taken back by the fact that this is the first conti club, where have all these years gone?!
A good initiative started, maybe not only spare parts, may even push ailing HM to begin a limited production of Contessa
DicKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 00:58   #7
BHPian

Wow. I just came across this thread. I hope there are going to be more meets of the Contessa club in the near future. Would love to see these beauties together. One quick question: are non Conti owners allowed at these meets?
sabret00the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 06:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

WOW! A Conti Club!! Yet another Club in Bangalore!

On behalf of Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore[FCB], I congratulate Krishna and CCI for this great initiative.

P.S: If you want any contacts in gujiri please PM me.
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 13:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

Excellent stuff! How on earth did you guys hunt yourselves down in the first place?!
Jayabusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 13:42   #10
Team-BHP Support

Lovely pics.
I especially love the conti's that have the 2 headlight circles instead of the single flat light. Absolute drool material.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 10:59   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on the club & the meet! I don't remember the last time I saw so many Contessa' lined up together. The black + black wheels + chrome lip is my favourite. Always like the Conti with its original slim chrome bumpers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
On behalf of Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore[FCB], I congratulate Krishna and CCI for this great initiative.
Your two groups could perhaps have a combined meet? It will make for a heck of a photo shoot.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 11:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Congrats on the club & the meet! I don't remember the last time I saw so many Contessa' lined up together. The black + black wheels + chrome lip is my favourite. Always like the Conti with its original slim chrome bumpers.

Your two groups could perhaps have a combined meet? It will make for a heck of a photo shoot.

Thanks GTO! That would be one hell of a meet. We could add the Bangalore Beetles Club too. May be we we all can catch up informally some time and plan a grand event.

I always dreamed of owning a Contessa, for silly reasons like lack of parking space, I couldnt. May be there would come a day where I too own one.
Old 5th October 2010, 11:52   #13
BHPian

Ladies and Gentlemen,
Thank you all for the warm regards.

Quote:
One quick question: are non Conti owners allowed at these meets?
Every one is invited sir. You just have to park your non conty vehicle far away from the lineup.

Quote:
Karthik, Thank you so much. Fiat club has been a source of inspiration for us. Lets meet up some time, both clubs.

Quote:
We could add the Bangalore Beetles Club too. May be we we all can catch up informally some time and plan a grand event.
Well, this is really interesting. The Grand Retro meet will really be eye catching for sure.

Quote:
I always dreamed of owning a Contessa, for silly reasons like lack of parking space, I couldn't. May be there would come a day where I too own one.
karthik, here is a secret. Download the Conty newsletter PDF. There is something for you there.

Though i do not have many photos of the event, i shall post individual photos of the cars lined up

Name:  car1.JPG
Views: 30265
Size:  256.7 KB

Name:  car2.JPG
Views: 8564
Size:  252.3 KB

Name:  car3.JPG
Views: 11794
Size:  253.4 KB

Name:  car4.JPG
Views: 10200
Size:  241.1 KB

Name:  car5.JPG
Views: 8887
Size:  192.8 KB

Name:  car6.JPG
Views: 8166
Size:  198.8 KB

Name:  car7.JPG
Views: 8972
Size:  205.4 KB

Name:  car8.JPG
Views: 8505
Size:  248.4 KB

Name:  car9.JPG
Views: 8050
Size:  229.8 KB

The 10th car is yet to arrive by then...

The rare rear...

Name:  G4.JPG
Views: 8061
Size:  150.2 KB

Name:  G2.JPG
Views: 7829
Size:  168.9 KB

Name:  g1.JPG
Views: 8390
Size:  208.9 KB

Quote:
The black + black wheels + chrome lip is my favourite. Always like the Conti with its original slim chrome bumpers.
This is for you GTO

Name:  GTO1.JPG
Views: 7857
Size:  230.0 KB

Quote:
I especially love the conti's that have the 2 headlight circles instead of the single flat light. Absolute drool material.
And this is for you bblost.

Name:  GTO2.jpg
Views: 7980
Size:  198.5 KB

Regards,
krishna.

Last edited by kittigadu : 5th October 2010 at 11:53. Reason: Typo correction.
Old 5th October 2010, 12:00   #14
Senior - BHPian

^ I did see the PDF and read every letter of it. Due to personal constraints I wouldnt be able to think of another car atleast for next 6 months. When I believe it is the right time, I would surely get in touch with you.

Coming back to the club, it would be nice if you could publish some known good garages around the city. It may not be the best ones, atleast ones that take a Conti. In general, nowadays only a few garages and road side mechanics are ready to repair our classic cars. Most others shoo away since they cannot make enough profits.

Also, do let us know in case any of your members are looking for any Conti parts. We could salvage a lot from our good old Gujari. FCB has various contacts in Gujari for Fiat related stuff. I am sure, they would extend it to Conti's as well.

Last edited by funkykar : 5th October 2010 at 12:02.
Old 5th October 2010, 12:13   #15
BHPian

karthik,
Its a nice idea to publish garages/mechanics who take conty's in.
But this should come with a disclaimer.

As far as my knowledge goes, There is one garage called Sijo at ejipura. This is where all the govt contys come for work. But i heard his prices are as much as the car itself.

Gaviappa, the guy who drove the 10th car in the conty meet is a mechanic himself working on old cars like contys. He stays some where in Basavanagudi.

With regards to conty parts, yes we definitely need help. Shall send you a PM on that.

Regards,
krishna.