Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section

Old 19th December 2005, 13:45   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Default report with more pictures - ok! (part1)

We drove from New Delhi in the company Scorpio. It may be a bouncy car but I must say it is bloody solid. It was amazing fun and we carried some spares (according to some very very interesting tips by sideways)
We started off on NH1, towards Panipat/kurukshetra and then as per schedule took a detour off the highway to yamunanagar, Paonta Sahib, Kalsi, Chakrata, Tyuni, Hatkoti and Rohru where we spent our first night.
The roads were narrow and often for hours we had to drive on stretches that had never seen tar. Rough, extremely muddy dirt tracks with large rocks. The road from Kalsi to Chakrata is too narrow for 2 way traffic and they have a gate system which allows one way traffic. Hence you may have to wait at the gate for hours.
This entire mapping was done thanks to Rishaad Saam Mehta from Autocar India, thanks to him we had an awesome time.
I wont go into details regarding routes and drives as that does not belong in this section but here are some pictures enroute for you to enjoy. (Rudra, your point is noted & accepted and I am posting thumbs only.)

Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2005, 13:54   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Default part 2

We spent the night at Rohru and spent the next day walking around the river and taking in the Village, it’s people and the breathtaking unspoiled scenery.

Believe it or not - Thats our hotel in Rohru

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 19th December 2005 at 14:04.
Old 19th December 2005, 13:54   #33
Senior - BHPian

Hey Sam

You could be a very credible double for Slash....
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2005, 14:47   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Part 3

The next day we drove on the most amazing route to Kotgarh/Thanedar. Khaadu meanwhile was still stuck in Chandigarh, as his clutch cylinder on the palio has given way and they had to call for it from Delhi and he was waiting there. Again we did not take the beaten path to Kotgarh, instead we took Rishaad’s route through Baggi (10000ft) and the views, scenery and dense mountain forest was breathtaking.

We went on a mountain trek the next day with a local guide, climbing up to almost 9000 ft. The view of the Sutlej through the mountains was breathtaking. It was difficult to walk for city lubbers like we, but the spectacular scenery made us go on nonetheless. Khaadu had still not left Chandigarh. The Apple trees were bare and stark and looked like the tree of death outside Minas Tirith (any LOTR fans?) incredible. The sheer starkness of the landscape offered a completely different kind of naked beauty sans any clour or lushness. More pictures.

Old 19th December 2005, 14:54   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12
Very nice pics Sam. Awaiting a full report of the trip and the meet. Anyways does ur father / BIL share the same passion as the Wise Old Man.

Thanks v12. Dad and BIL are both photographers. Dad retired though.
I've already posted 3 parts, 2 more to go. This is hard work whew!
Old 19th December 2005, 15:16   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Part 4 (this is longer than i expected :))

Khaadu spent the night at simla. He was to meet us the next morning (mid morning) and take us to the highest peak in the region, called Haatu. We went to the 150yr old church right next to Khaadu’s home, which was about 30 mins away (hill driving) from where we were staying. While we were admiring the church, we heard a rumble in the hills. Yup, you have never heard a freeflow, till you hear it through the distant valleys. I must say the access hill road to khaadu’s house is narrow. Like narrow narrow. We could not fit the scorpio through. Khaadu says he can do it blindfolded and I don’t doubt it for a moment. I cant do it with my eyes open i assure you.

We went to his house (huge by any standard) where his mum welcomed us with hot cuppas and a steaming stove. We saw his very strange dog, that has it’s own pet, a cat. No jokes guys, the cat, piggy backs the dog. In fact this picture is no pose – they were genuinely basking in the sun like this when we took the picture.

General time pass photos

The church near Khaadu's house

The area around his home, view from his home and the steps up to his place

Inside- Warm

and the dog/cat
Old 19th December 2005, 15:47   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Part 5 (whew)

Then we left for Haatu. Dad and Khaadu in his palio. My BIL, Sis and I in the scorpio. We we supposed to drive up the (supposedly) motorable road about 5to 6 km up and then trek it to the top. Of course as usual we were on the lookout for black ice formations on the road. Had we encountered any larger patches we were to park and walk. Luckily for us and because of the time we left (noonish) there was little or none. The road, if you can call it that was (in khaadus words) like driving into a gate. Only the gate was 6km long and winding. No room for error here. Error = death. Literally. And khaadu if you please, was driving like a bloody walk in the park and my gonads were shrivelling up and not due to the weather.
At the end of the (supposedly) motorable road, im waiting for him to park, and khaadu decides to dive headlong into unchartered no-road territory. Having no other choice but to keep up with him I drove. My sister was screaming(heh heh, aint that fun) and my BIL was both smiling and sweating.
One word of advice boys – don’t look down.
We climbed and climbed till we reached 11162 feet. Then parked and walked. We explored the amazing area climbing and trekking for about 2 hours. It really helped to have a local like khaadu on our side as he showed us some hidden meadows and peaky areas on top. I thought I was in good shape, but the thinner air had me panting while khaadu was walking away, tired, but not out of breath, talking about Goa lol.

The climb down was dangerous to say the least and on the way down I committed 2 errors on the hairpin bends and have scraped the Scorpio a bit.

That afternoon, Khaadu joined us at the place we were staying at, basking in the sun and drinking chai, while my poor father lay down for a bit to get over his shock of Khaadu’s driving.

That evening we joined Khaadu’s mum and dad for a wonderful evening, full of whisky, vodka, woodfires, jokes and stories and a scrumptious hot home cooked meal. A wonderful way to say goodbye to the hills.
On both the mornings, the diesel in the Scorpio had frozen over. Apparently when this happens, khaadu’s dad usually lights a fire (I kid you not) under the vehicle till the oil and diesel thaws and then one can start the vehicle. Honestly, we just thought it safer to wait. The locals apparently add a little kerosene to the diesel to prevent this from happening and sideways suggested we add one lt of Petrol to 40 lts of diesel. Sadly we didn’t and we suffered a little bit.

The drive back was through the beautiful NH22, via Simla, Kasauli, Solan, panchkula and then NH1 to Delhi.

Khaadu - I thank you and your family. You are beautiful warm people.
End of report. Bowing. Thank you.

Old 19th December 2005, 16:17   #38
BANNED

Hey Sam, nice write up of ur trip !!! And u know it that ur welcome back anytime and next time u know what u have to do for the staying part , infact that goes to ' ALL BHPIANS ' who enter my back yard !! Me there or not -- coz i myself don't know where I will be ..lol

Following r a few pics that were n my lil digi ( stayed hidden in front of Sam's family cameras ) .. just a few !!

Cheers
khaadu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2005, 16:25   #39
Team-BHP Support

Breathtaking!

But I wonder where you get the fuel for your car from Khaadu? Your own private refinery coz there looks like nothing in those hill there.
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2005, 16:29   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

oh yeah, here's a couple of car photos - members please note the TBHP sticker on the palio
Old 19th December 2005, 16:30   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Breathtaking!

But I wonder where you get the fuel for your car from Khaadu? Your own private refinery coz there looks like nothing in those hill there.
Hi RT

Actually there is a little town about 30 to 40 minutes drive away from Khaadu's called Narkanda. One can buy fuel there.
Old 19th December 2005, 16:32   #42
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Breathtaking!

Hey, I too really wish I had my own refinery !! Unfortunately I don't and have to rely on the fuel pump at Narkanda which is 16 kms from my place. Though, very often I feel like HIJACKING a tanker and parking it somewhere in my area .. !!

And dude, I wonder when r u heading my way ??

cheers
Old 19th December 2005, 16:35   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Hi RT

Actually there is a little town about 30 to 40 minutes drive away from Khaadu's called Narkanda. One can buy fuel there.
Sam, Its 20 mins away ..

Cheers

PS - By any chance does anyone have the Team-Bhp stickers left?? I want a couple of sets as the old ones have worn out ...PLS
Old 19th December 2005, 16:36   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75
Sam, Its 20 mins away ..
Honestly guys, believe me it's 40 minutes away. This man is a lunatic. I was dying in my car while he was zooming away.
Old 19th December 2005, 16:44   #45
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Honestly guys, believe me it's 40 minutes away. This man is a lunatic. I was dying in my car while he was zooming away.
Hey, NO WAYS .. I wish u had sat with my dad in his Van --- Trust me hes faster from point A to point B and smoother !! He was the first person to take his Van up to Haatu and in those days the entire track was like the last 1 km stretch and narrower ... Something like my personal drive ..

Cheers