Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2011, 13:55   #31
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,852
Thanked: 15,407 Times
Default Re: Leh 2011 MEET : 13th August to 4th Sept.

Pangong to Tso moriri does not involve any mountain driving, just dirt track driving of 12 hours.
Nubra to Pangong has two passes to cross, Wari La and Chang La.

That said you are going end of season. SO do not book in advance.
I would also suggest spend night in Tangste, then next day spend day at pangong. For the night do spot bargain.

Online travel agents usually have 110-120% commission.
Unless you are going before 15th August, there is no reason to waste money.

Also remember, Leh is not about the destination but journey also. So when you go Nubra to Pangong, think of the entire route as a trip.

If you are lucky and the Shyok route is open, it would mean a 5 hour run to pangong Tso from Nubra.
Otherwise, its Wari La for you, again a lovely pass.

I suggest you reach Leh and do window shopping. You will be in leh by afternoon if you start from Kargil early.

I have done the circuit from 20th August as well from early june. First time Leh festival was on, second time it was peak season.
I did not advance book.

Only time I had trouble was finding acco at kargil due to some K.top drive of bikers. Due to that I had to stay at an expensive (1100 INR) hotel instead of the 600rs JKTDC hotel.

Most other hotels were charging 1200-1500 in Kargil.

So I would suggest do not book anything. BTW, which vehicle you are going in?
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2011, 14:53   #32
BHPian
 
jealousdiamond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 268
Thanked: 103 Times
Default Re: Leh 2011 MEET : 13th August to 4th Sept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Here are my suggestions


excellent 2 days is ideal for mumbai Delhi. I would suggest making Udaipur your night half on first night, (I have my home @ Ajmer / Jaipur would prefer driving staright there )and on the second day instead of Delhi go upto Ambala/Karnal (that surely sounds better ). It would be 10-12 hours from Udaipur .
Take the Jammu bypass and stay at a JKTDC near Ramban/Patnitop(can you please help with the rates etc ). Again 12 hours drive from Karnal, with most of it on good roads. You do not need to go to Jammu. The bypass saves time as well as distance (exactly , what experience of people like you talks )
So bassically you head to srinagar on day 4, enjoy the city. Next day stay in Srinagar till 3-4pm and simply head to sonmarg, 3 hours away.
Good plan.
Fine
Here I suggest this
Day 9 - Go to Nubra valley, and enjoy the dunes
Day 10 - See panamik
Day 11 - Take Wari La pass and gome to tangste which is 33kms from Pangong. It has good stay opens. You will easily reach here by 4pm. You can take the call to stay here, or simply move to pangong and reach by 6-7pm. If you can do a 5am start from Nubra, you will be in Pangong by 5pm.
Day 12 - Spend the whole day in Pangong Tso, relax and chill out
Day 13 - Head to Leh.
This way you will spend more time in pangong. Alternatively, you can also spend Day 12 at pangong till 2pm and then start back for Leh

ISarchu has only tented acco, so you may want to push till Keylong/Jispa (how long would this be?? ), entirely your choice
This takes care of your itenary.
For Nubra-Pangong, if you do not want to backtrack to Karu from Sakti(20kms in total extra) you can carry 20 liters of fuel in a jerrycan.

When are you starting your trip, and what is your vehicle?
Well we would be starting from Pune on 13/14th of Aug and proceed as per the plan . Have been following your/ sumans inputs on the itneraries for long on Team/ BCMT , hence please suggest any modifications required to the dates .

As per your suggestions I believe availability of the Hotels etc shouldnt be a problem as it would almost be off season out there .
Also how effective would be the Sat NAV navigator out there ??

The vehicle would be a Tata Safari DICOR 2.2 .

Please advise .

PS : Sir Thanks for all the informative / generous inputs .

Last edited by jealousdiamond : 28th April 2011 at 14:55.
jealousdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2011, 14:58   #33
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,852
Thanked: 15,407 Times
Default Re: Leh 2011 MEET : 13th August to 4th Sept.

If you are willing for some adventure, you can go from Pangong to Tso moriri via chushul. Driving time is 12 hours, and there are no mountains on the way. Mostly dirt track driving and awesome scenery.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2011, 23:32   #34
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,985
Thanked: 351 Times
Default Re: Leh 2011 MEET : 13th August to 4th Sept.

I also might be visiting Ladakh this year "again" during the same window. Understand HVK will also lead a group around the same time. This time intend to do Hanle, Chushul and Turtuk. Lets see how it pans out.

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2011, 12:02   #35
BHPian
 
jealousdiamond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 268
Thanked: 103 Times
Default Re: Leh 2011 MEET : 13th August to 4th Sept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If you are willing for some adventure, you can go from Pangong to Tso moriri via chushul. Driving time is 12 hours, and there are no mountains on the way. Mostly dirt track driving and awesome scenery.
Sir need your inputs on the above post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I also might be visiting Ladakh this year "again" during the same window. Understand HVK will also lead a group around the same time. This time intend to do Hanle, Chushul and Turtuk. Lets see how it pans out.

Cheers
That sounds interesting
jealousdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2011, 12:22   #36
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,852
Thanked: 15,407 Times
Default Re: Leh 2011 MEET : 13th August to 4th Sept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jealousdiamond View Post
As per your suggestions I believe availability of the Hotels etc shouldnt be a problem as it would almost be off season out there .
Also how effective would be the Sat NAV navigator out there ??

The vehicle would be a Tata Safari DICOR 2.2 .

Please advise .

PS : Sir Thanks for all the informative / generous inputs .
Don't worry too much about satnav. Those dirt tracks are mapped only on openstreetmap.
Anyways, if you follow the tracks, you won't get lost.
The chushul route is easily doable by a 2WD safari.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2011, 12:31   #37
BHPian
 
driverace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 406
Thanked: 142 Times
Cool Re: Leh 2011 MEET : 13th August to 4th Sept.

Anybody here planning the same on a bike?
Gauging from the average speeds, dirt roads, Bikes shouldnt be far behind.

Can bikes move in sync with the cars?

Thanks,

Ace.
I am seriously considering the trip!
Live to drive..
driverace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2011, 12:42   #38
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,852
Thanked: 15,407 Times
Default Re: Leh 2011 MEET : 13th August to 4th Sept.

@driverace, it actually depends on the track.
On very bad tracks with some rockfall, bikes have it easier.
However, on fast sections, a biker has risk of slippage and fall, esp when loaded with luggage(as most ladakh bikers are).
That said, if you average it out, an experienced biker in very fit physical health can match the cars, but normally, on such bumpy roads 4-5 hours of ride can give you back pain and fatigue.

Moreover, sometimes it gets hot, and on the passes it gets very cold, so temperature variation also takes it toll on the body.

Then there is the issue of blowing dust on some sections(eg More plains) and plains north of Pangong(Marisimik La area).

So in the end, it tougher than cars, and how fast and how much you can drive depends upon your bike and your state of health and biking experience.

If you do plan to tag along with an SUV, keep all your luggage in the car, this will give you some respite.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2011, 19:40   #39
BHPian
 
driverace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 406
Thanked: 142 Times
Cool Re: Leh 2011 MEET : 13th August to 4th Sept.

I have started looking at the maps and places enroute.
@tsk1979
Thanks for the information/details there.
Some more elaborations on that please covering:
  • Preparation of a new(ly run in) bike heading towards Leh/Ladakh.
  • Bangalore-Leh, google maps call it a 3100km ride one way. How fine is it to ride the bike for that stretch in under 23-25 days (totalling 7000 km almost)
It would need servicing at 3000 & then 6000 and then at 9000 km, as per the schedule.
  • I hear that bikes (in particular) dont take high altitude that well, more on that please too.
Tag Along with a vehicle for luggage is a nice idea.

Help me prepare a list of must have stuff too, appreciate it.
Going through Leh'd travelogues for more info already.

Care,

Ace.
driverace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 11:14   #40
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,852
Thanked: 15,407 Times
Default Re: Leh 2011 MEET : 13th August to 4th Sept.

Any 150cc bike should be doing this route with ease. Lot of bikers go up there on 150cc machines, and some even do it on 100cc machines(though its bit of a struggle).
Which bike are you planning to take.
Regarding services, you will have to simply get service done en route.
I would suggest you do not drive bike all the way to Leh.
Simply get it transported to chandigarh via courier, and then drive from there.

Summer is very hot in north India, and you will be drained even before reaching Leh.
Courier route costs almost the same as fuel(you transport your bike by rail)
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 11:39   #41
BHPian
 
driverace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 406
Thanked: 142 Times
Post Re: Leh 2011 MEET : 13th August to 4th Sept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Any 150cc bike should be doing this route with ease. Lot of bikers go up there on 150cc machines, and some even do it on 100cc machines(though its bit of a struggle).
Which bike are you planning to take.
Regarding services, you will have to simply get service done en route.
I would suggest you do not drive bike all the way to Leh.
Simply get it transported to chandigarh via courier, and then drive from there.

Summer is very hot in north India, and you will be drained even before reaching Leh.
Courier route costs almost the same as fuel(you transport your bike by rail)
I am planning to take my (now a month young !) Fz.

Servicing enroute (check)

@driving all the way to Leh ( that rhymed!)
Well, I have started out driving to prep for the Leh trip.
Slowly stretching the time on bike, and I will take the bike on tours slowly 100-250-500 km oneway.
Will do a couple of runs nearby Bangalore 2 days at a go / more if possible.

I will have better idea then, of how much I can take.

Still, I will keep both driving/transporting options open. (inclined towards driving there more )

I have seen some really hot summers, and i agree they are very straining-kind on a bike drive!
But again, one good thing is, its NH all the way to Chandigarh.
<May be monotonous, but, I can cruise and, fatigue might be lesser (?) >

Thanks for the boost!

care,

Ace.

Autobot, Get ready, all the way, to Leh
driverace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 11:46   #42
BHPian
 
jealousdiamond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 268
Thanked: 103 Times
Default Re: Leh 2011 MEET : 13th August to 4th Sept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
I am planning to take my (now a month young !) Fz.

Servicing enroute (check)

@driving all the way to Leh ( that rhymed!)
Well, I have started out driving to prep for the Leh trip.
Slowly stretching the time on bike, and I will take the bike on tours slowly 100-250-500 km oneway.
Will do a couple of runs nearby Bangalore 2 days at a go / more if possible.

I will have better idea then, of how much I can take.

Still, I will keep both driving/transporting options open. (inclined towards driving there more )

I have seen some really hot summers, and i agree they are very straining-kind on a bike drive!
But again, one good thing is, its NH all the way to Chandigarh.
<May be monotonous, but, I can cruise and, fatigue might be lesser (?) >

Thanks for the boost!

care,

Ace.

Autobot, Get ready, all the way, to Leh
Rethink as mentioned by tsk , its really draining with the frequent changes in temperature . Also you need to consider the rains(monsoons would hit the circuit) that you would meet enroute . The sudden changes in temperature can easily impact anybody in a quicky . Not that I am trying to discourage you , but practically speaking its best to get it transported to Delhi / Chandigarh / Jammu and then enjoy the drive .

Also the monotonous drive as you understand can make you uncomfortable after a few hours .

Happy Driving !!
jealousdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 11:49   #43
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,852
Thanked: 15,407 Times
Default Re: Leh 2011 MEET : 13th August to 4th Sept.

You won't really enjoy the drive to Chandigarh on your bike. Its not really scenic on the way, the NHs are full of killer trucks, and you will wate time and money for accomodation.
Do not lose focus.
If you were doing an Kashmir to Kanyakumari type of trip, I would understand, but you are not.
You are on a leh trip.
Do the extra driving there.
Explore the uncharted territory there.

Explore off beaten places like Chushul, Man Merak or Hanle.
Explore the Changthang plateau.
3-4 days saved in the plains can be better utilized up there.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 10:51   #44
BHPian
 
driverace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 406
Thanked: 142 Times
Cool Re: Leh 2011 MEET : 13th August to 4th Sept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jealousdiamond View Post
Rethink as mentioned by tsk , its really draining with the frequent changes in temperature . Also you need to consider the rains(monsoons would hit the circuit) that you would meet enroute . The sudden changes in temperature can easily impact anybody in a quicky . Not that I am trying to discourage you , but practically speaking its best to get it transported to Delhi / Chandigarh / Jammu and then enjoy the drive .

Also the monotonous drive as you understand can make you uncomfortable after a few hours .

Happy Driving !!
Heat/Cold is something I 'think' I could manage.
But, Rain will be a spoiler for sure.
considering it will drop average speed / visibility / safety (again on NHs!).
Morever, on bike, If I get stuck somewhere, it will be a mess!

thanks for that pointer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
You won't really enjoy the drive to Chandigarh on your bike. Its not really scenic on the way, the NHs are full of killer trucks, and you will wate time and money for accomodation.
Do not lose focus.
If you were doing an Kashmir to Kanyakumari type of trip, I would understand, but you are not.
You are on a leh trip.
Do the extra driving there.
Explore the uncharted territory there.

Explore off beaten places like Chushul, Man Merak or Hanle.
Explore the Changthang plateau.
3-4 days saved in the plains can be better utilized up there.
Well,
I do see, that driving that stretch is sure not going to be "just fun" it IS indeed going to take toll on everything.
plus will tire me just to get there.
and looking at the bike travelogues, I see, people starting from Delhi itself have so much fatigue, that's making me wonder!.. :(

hmm.

I see, it makes sense to start it from Delhi/Chandigarh as per the mass plan here.

Anyone else on bike?

enthusiast,

Ace.
driverace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 11:47   #45
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,852
Thanked: 15,407 Times
Default Re: Leh 2011 MEET : 13th August to 4th Sept.

Lot of bikers often transport their bikes from South via train, and then start their trips from chandigarh.
Check with GATI, or Indian Railways. The rates actually work out to be cheaper than fuel.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Meet & Drive to Leh (Aug - Sept 2014)? BeingCynical The Team-BHP Meet Section 147 2nd September 2014 21:45
Soligere Camping + Cooking + OTR: 13th Sept khan_sultan 4x4 Excursions 43 6th September 2010 18:10
TBHP Delhi Meet on 8th August (Route 04, Khan Market, 08 August 2009 , 5.30 pm) harishnayak The Team-BHP Meet Section 158 12th August 2009 21:25
Mumbai meet on 4th August for Tokyo Drift viper The Team-BHP Meet Section 20 4th August 2006 13:19


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:40.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks