Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section

Old 8th May 2011, 07:31   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Leh 2011 : 13th August to 4th Sept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco View Post
Planning to do the same in mid-June 2011.
Leaving on 14 May...
Paco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 09:48   #47
BHPian

Default Re: Leh 2011 MEET : 13th August to 4th Sept.

did the mumbai leh and back in 12 days last year the round trip is around 6000kms in july.we were just 2 guys armed with a 10 rs map no bookings no advance planning in a very reliable scorpio and loads of luck.
this year planning to go again in sept may be first week.
Please carry basic medication with cotton rolls and dressing bandages
lots of water bottled and 25 litre cans 1 for water and 1 for fuel.
a second jack extra tools extra fan belt a spare tube even if you have tubeless tyres
a small stove maggie noodles
a fairly large tarpaulin and rope(for towing )
Believe me we used all of the above except for the towing rope.
THE BIGGEST MISTAKE was rushing up the keylong to leh route (TRYING TO STICK TO THE SCHEDULE) without giving our lungs and body enough rest and time to get used to the lack of oxygen and paid a heavy price with acute mountain sickness rendering me completely useless (couldnt breathe couldnt move)it is only due to the army outposts with their medical tents (approx 60 kms apart) and my friends exemplary driving i am alive today.
remember the whole journey is CONTROLLED by nature and no amount of planning will get you anywhere if the gods dont permit.
Let your itenary be just a rough guide to the journey do not push it just to reach your days destination the drive is THE THING what lies at the end of the day is just another place.
sierrakamat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 11:12   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jealousdiamond View Post
Well we can adjust this as per the general consent . All I tried doing was to keep some buffer time , in case we slipped on some deadlines(considering mechanical / technical failures )
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrakamat View Post
Let your itenary be just a rough guide to the journey do not push it just to reach your days destination the drive is THE THING what lies at the end of the day is just another place.
Couldn't have been more precise
jealousdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011, 19:57   #49
Senior - BHPian

And don't forget Diamox. If hit by AMS then it can take a toll on the plan and the trip itself. I was running for my life after spending a night at TsoMoriri. Used to take Diamox for the other trips(i.e. Pangong etc.) but I thought that I was immune to AMS by that time as I got used to the High Altitude and stopped taking diamox. And AMS caught me off-guard on my last day of the trip.
Anyway, do carry loads of water and some dry fruits. We bought apricots at Leh and I was having only Apricots that whole day drive from Tso-Moriri to Keylong. Was in a very bad condition actually.
Anyway, I'm also planning to do Ladakh this year, most probably by July 1/2nd week. Let's hope that I'll be able to drive down instead of relying on Taxis there. My only worry is my physical fitness this year. Not as fit as I was then, need to work on it.
kaushik_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011, 20:27   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
And don't forget Diamox.
You are recommending Schedule A drug, not to be sold without prescription as if it was a vitamin pill. Are you sure that everyone can take Diamox without adverse side effects?
Be aware that whatever you post here is read by thousands of people, and recommending medication without being aware of the potential side effects(some of which can be FATAL) is certainly not done.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011, 20:42   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
You are recommending Schedule A drug, not to be sold without prescription as if it was a vitamin pill. Are you sure that everyone can take Diamox without adverse side effects?
Be aware that whatever you post here is read by thousands of people, and recommending medication without being aware of the potential side effects(some of which can be FATAL) is certainly not done.
Well, I'm not aware if there is any fatal side effect of Diamox. I was just talking purely about my own experience. Anyway, if this medicine does have any side-affect which I'm not aware of then I'm taking back my words. Consult your physician before taking any kind of medicine. I did consulted (so did my friends) and I was told there won't be any issue of me taking it.

EDIT: Please feel free to edit my post with a disclaimer about the medication or remove the reference itself.

Last edited by kaushik_s : 17th May 2011 at 20:48.
kaushik_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 11:08   #52
BHPian

Post Re: Leh 2011 MEET : 13th August to 4th Sept.

@nix1976in
how's the plan shaping up?
i live in Navi Mumbai and am interested in this drive.

sorry i am a newbie on the forum and can't PM you!!
please PM me your phone number so we can get in touch..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nix1976in View Post
Hi Guys,
Am starting a separate thread to enable those interested in making it to Leh this year to sync up and match up plans to check if we can bunch together for a drive to the final frontier.

The window I am planning for (13th Aug - 4th Sept) has 4 holidays apart from our standard saturdays and sundays so in a 11 working day vacation we get around 22-23 days off. I am planning this way ahead so that we can make any changes without haste.

Hope to hear from you all soon....

Regards,
Nix
no_enthu_da is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 12:18   #53
BHPian

So here we go counting for the trip , 13th Aug - 4th Sept :

Jealousdiamond +3 (1 Safari )
nix1976in ..

and counting ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_enthu_da View Post
Also, can an Alto do the trip without too much hassle?
I am asking as I have never driven on such terrain
Enthu Da , make sure that +? is at the max +2 considering an Alto with the loaded luggage . No problems in Alto doing the stretch , just that it would need some real patience in crossing the rough terrain as we head up . Also hoping you are aware of the long list of stuff that you need to carry alongwith you for the terrain . Also we hope you have enough driving experience (long hrs driving ) behind the wheels as the drive through the planes till Delhi / Jammu would just be monotonous .

Last edited by jealousdiamond : 19th May 2011 at 12:33.
jealousdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 12:24   #54
BHPian

Post Re: Leh 2011 MEET : 13th August to 4th Sept.

Adding myself

Also, can an Alto do the trip without too much hassle?
I am asking as I have never driven on such terrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jealousdiamond View Post
So here we go counting for the trip , 13th Aug - 3rd Sept :

nix1976in ..
no_enthu_da +? (1 Alto)

and counting ..
no_enthu_da is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 15:15   #55
BHPian

Hey Guys,
Sorry to go off the radar, was tied up at work for a bit.

nix1976in + 1 (1 Xylo)
no_enthu_da +? (1 Alto)

Am trying to firm up my itinerary as I am being told by quite a few people to book NOW...since most good hotels and tent resorts near Pangong and Tso Morriri will have group bookings in end August. This may be not be true and will be expensive too but I dont wanna take chances with wifey in tow.

Basic plan is to start from Srinagar, Kargil (night halt) onto Leh, visit Nubra-Leh, Pangong-Leh (using Leh as base) and Tso-morriri with a night halt at these places and then move on to Sarchu from Tsomorri and onto Manali finally.

I know the veterans advise moving from Nubra to Pangong to Tsomorriri directly but am quite apprehensive of doing 12-13 hour drives in the mountains since this is going to be my first foray there so I wish to keep it simple and stick to tried and tested routes.

I have already procured army surplus jerry cans from Bangalore (Olive Planet) and some basic tools like a jumpstart cable, puncture kit etc.

No_enthu_da (would love to know the game behind the name )... driving an Alto up in to the himalayas is very much possible (HVK took his matiz when the roads were even worse back in the early 2000's but he's in a different league) and I have heard of a Nano expedition too.

The issue as JD mentioned to which I agree to is the drive from Mumbai to srinagar and back from Manali which would be the real chore but I guess the lure of the mountains will pull you through

So think no further and take the plunge...

Regards,

Last edited by nix1976in : 19th May 2011 at 15:20.
nix1976in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 15:30   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nix1976in View Post
No_enthu_da (would love to know the game behind the name )... driving an Alto up in to the himalayas is very much possible (HVK took his matiz when the roads were even worse back in the early 2000's but he's in a different league) and I have heard of a Nano expedition too.

The issue as JD mentioned to which I agree to is the drive from Mumbai to srinagar and back from Manali which would be the real chore but I guess the lure of the mountains will pull you through

So think no further and take the plunge...

Regards,
Actually, given a choice between a 2WD MUV or an Alto, I would gravitate towards the Alto, or a M800.
People do not give enough credit to this car. Its build very well, can be repaired just anywhere, and is a favorite among rural himachal populace.
It will do the Manali Leh highway fine, esp in August when snows have melted and none of the nalahs have too much water.
On many stretches it will do better than 2WD MUVs which sink in slush due to their weight!

I once did a trip to Khoksar in October(http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ers-storm.html (Riders on a Storm))

While climbing the snowy rohtang pass, we had to rescue a Sumo which kept on spinning its rear wheels. The small cars went up fine after little wheelspin and drama.
Even on the slushy sections, as long as the water is not too deep, a 2WD MUV stands a much greater change of getting stuck than an alto.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 19th May 2011 at 15:33.
Old 19th May 2011, 16:01   #57
BHPian

I would not recommend you to take your Alto for this kind of an expedition. Having traveled there on road, I agree you would not really need a 4x4, but Alto and its suspension would not be able to take the beating of the terrain. You would do better with an SUV with greater GC and stronger suspension setup even without a 4x4. Rohtang pass is a child's play when it is compared to what all passes have to be encountered post that in and around Ladakh valley. The problems with SUVs running there as cabs and they getting stuck in slush is also due to their worn out tyres with no grip.
ess_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 16:19   #58
BHPian

Cool Re: Leh 2011 MEET : 13th August to 4th Sept.

Quote:
Do not lose focus.
If you were doing an Kashmir to Kanyakumari type of trip, I would understand, but you are not.
You are on a leh trip.
Well, I took your advice in a way, I can drive more!
Thanks!
I have roped in another enthusiast driver with me.
He has an Activa and Victor! he doesn't know what to bring.
but, that's another story!
We are travelling -train+bike to Kanyakumari !
from there we will begin with our Bikes, and go across India to Leh..

We are excited to be on road whole day, for a friggin Month!
(27 days in all)

Getting ready mentally, and technically.

Need lot of assistance, gurus.

__
With the convoy above,
we are planning to intercept at Delhi / Leh directly!
Move around Leh with the convoy, and return via different route.

Guys with bike experience, lots of input we need -bike specific.

Thanks,

Live to drive,

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 19th May 2011 at 16:27.
driverace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 16:31   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ess_a View Post
I would not recommend you to take your Alto for this kind of an expedition. Having traveled there on road, I agree you would not really need a 4x4, but Alto and its suspension would not be able to take the beating of the terrain. You would do better with an SUV with greater GC and stronger suspension setup even without a 4x4. Rohtang pass is a child's play when it is compared to what all passes have to be encountered post that in and around Ladakh valley. The problems with SUVs running there as cabs and they getting stuck in slush is also due to their worn out tyres with no grip.
I disagree.
First of all Rohtang pass is the toughest pass. It has the worst surface. Other passes in Ladakh are actually devoid of snow by august and quite easy. As for getting stuck, a heavy 2WD SUV will get stuck sooner than a FWD small car. Only advantage, you have less change of hitting rocks in water crossings, but careful driving can overcome that for you.
Old 19th May 2011, 17:08   #60
BHPian

Quote:
I disagree.
First of all Rohtang pass is the toughest pass. It has the worst surface. Other passes in Ladakh are actually devoid of snow by august and quite easy. As for getting stuck, a heavy 2WD SUV will get stuck sooner than a FWD small car. Only advantage, you have less change of hitting rocks in water crossings, but careful driving can overcome that for you.
Well then I guess, I should mention why I say Rohtang is nothing as compared to other passes. You are right about the surface not being grippy, but other passes are tougher for a car like Alto because of really bad terrain. There are so many places which look like off-roading destinations. Tanglang-la from Sarchu and some parts of Ladakh - Khardung-la would not do good to the Alto's suspension and underbody. They would get a severe beating IMHO. Plus More Plains are also not really plains! But you are right, slush, and Alto would fare better.
ess_a is offline   Reply With Quote