Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section

Closed Thread

Old 11th January 2006, 00:30   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow cool event. Did you guys rent out the track completely ? How does this track/equipment compare to Speedzone?
Old 11th January 2006, 00:51   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
No nitrous anna , trust me when it comes to karting weight is not everything.. Lack of weight actually hampers timings by quite a margin .. Bcoz when we brake hard into the corners due to the lack of weight the kart twiches and slides a lot .. Whereas a person with the average weight will be in a better position to keep the car under control .. We guys can accelarate out of a corners sooner , but u guys can brake and come really hot into a corner without sliding and widing ..

The best example for this are psycho , shantanu and steeroid themselves ... I was closely observing them go into the corners , braking points were the same , turning points into the corners were the same , but my kart was sure sliding a lot DUE TO THE LACK OF WEIGHT .. slide means LOSS OF TIME .. Thats why i am most impressed with these 3 and boy they had the nack to get the karts to fly .. But being overweight doesnt help also , does it ???
McLaren if you dont stop talking about weight, I'm gonna fry your clutch (COMPLETELY - I did a partial job this time around), burn your brakes and slam your Zen into one of those airport road curves at 100kmph on your miserable tyres just to see if my weight will hold it down.

PS: I'll also send a couple of colourful cylinders to the junkyard.

Last edited by Steeroid : 11th January 2006 at 00:56.
Old 11th January 2006, 00:59   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather
v1p3r what show did you put on for the members at the dhaba?????
Overshot the dhaba and did a neat 180 degree handbrake turn @ about 90kmph. Very nice, very spectacular, though I'm not sure if he wanted to do a 180degree...it happened, anyway
Old 11th January 2006, 01:23   #49
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
McLaren if you dont stop talking about weight, I'm gonna fry your clutch (COMPLETELY - I did a partial job this time around), burn your brakes and slam your Zen into one of those airport road curves at 100kmph on your miserable tyres just to see if my weight will hold it down.

PS: I'll also send a couple of colourful cylinders to the junkyard.
kya uncle , what did i do now .. i meant it only for a go - kart .. lets take the dicor for a 1/4 mile and see who clocks faster and see if the weight advantage works ..

nahee .. next time around im not letting u get even 10 mtrs around my baby .. hehe just kidding .. like i said my cars free to carry out any expeeriment u want .. and btw i need those colourful bottles , want to decorate my car better ...

PS : heard u did 160 kmph on the dicor ?? when ?? where ?? how ??
Old 11th January 2006, 01:26   #50
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Overshot the dhaba and did a neat 180 degree handbrake turn @ about 90kmph. Very nice, very spectacular, though I'm not sure if he wanted to do a 180degree...it happened, anyway
ssshhhh .. kya bol raha hey ... v1p3r can do that .. i guess i missed that ..

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 11th January 2006 at 01:27.
Old 11th January 2006, 07:48   #51
Senior - BHPian

Wow, what a meet!!! Being the heaviest of the lot, i was a bit doubtful at first, but then.........decided to give it a go anyway.

What followed, shocked me more than anyone else. I seriously didn't think i was capable of getting into the 34s (let alone clocking the 5th fastest time for the day).

It was just too good to be true.

The 2nd jolt came when i was told that i was still leading the charts after the 2nd round.

All said and done, what made the day for me, were those amazing few laps, fighting it out with Psycho. Who needs F1 when karting can be so much fun. I think it was just brilliant. We were not only giving it everything but, also managed to stay away from the barriers. Thanks to Psycho, my car managed to do a wheelie. LOL

Hoping for some more on track action next time. Damn, i gotta lose some weight now. Hahah.

Shan2nu
Old 11th January 2006, 08:14   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
Looks like the go kart timings and my doc clearly state that I need to lose 15 kg!!!!
Especially after your track day with the evo and pug, i was expecting yuor times to be a lot better.
Old 11th January 2006, 09:48   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrie
Especially after your track day with the evo and pug, i was expecting yuor times to be a lot better.
This was the second time I was in a Kart. Besides that, there were two issues, the kart had been heaviliy banged up in an earlier race and was pulling to the right. Second issue was that the damn thing would not accelerate from a corner like you do in a car. Technique is to go into a corner at full revs apparently
Old 11th January 2006, 10:05   #54
BANNED

Quote:
Technique is to go into a corner at full revs apparently
Can u kindly elaborate a bit more on that ..
Old 11th January 2006, 11:16   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
Can u kindly elaborate a bit more on that ..
As the ground is rough and the karts are slow, you could probably go in at a higher speed. I was braking before the corner and lost power
Old 11th January 2006, 11:34   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

U guys seem to have had a lot of fun! Unlucky me to miss it.

But those karts seem so small! I wonder how Psycho, Shan2nu, Steeroid et al managed to fit into them!

Note to self: Must attend next such meet to witness this, and learn!
Old 11th January 2006, 11:37   #57
BANNED

Quote:
As the ground is rough and the karts are slow, you could probably go in at a higher speed. I was braking before the corner and lost power
ok ok now u gotten me all confused ..
"technique is to go into a corner with full revs" ..
by this did u mean that while going into a corner u need to have the the full rpm band as in stay in as low revs as possible so that u can power out of the corner or that u need to go into the corner at full rpms ( as in be close to the redline).. id personally feel the 1st way is the better way to do it , but would like to get my views cleared out here as i didnt quite get exactly what u meant by that sentence ..

secondly , technically speaking if u brake before the corner , yes u loose power but shouldnt that give u a faster exit time .. I think thats how its done in all forms of track events starting all the way up from karting to f1 .. If one goes too hot into the corner u end up sliding and hence loose more power and this results in slower exit times .. I could be wrong though .. I assume they would thought all this at the track event that u had been to .. if u can kindly highlight a few points that were mentioned by the pros it would be rather helpful for guys like me..
Old 11th January 2006, 11:47   #58
Senior - BHPian

Nah, i don't think a quick entry is a needed. Brake before the corner, come off the gas a bit, let the kart turn in and then, slam the acce just before you exit the corner. It worked well for me.

A hot entry makes the kart go way wider than intended.

Shan2nu
Old 11th January 2006, 11:50   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj
But those karts seem so small! I wonder how Psycho, Shan2nu, Steeroid et al managed to fit into them!
Psycho is tall, I dont think hes very heavy. Shan and I were probably the heavyweights around (okay, the warrior too). ajmat I was quite disappointed by your run - expected more from someone who's driven some exotic cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Yup! I found out the hard way as I refused to use the brakes till my last 2-3 laps, ended up running wide at every exit.

Last edited by Steeroid : 11th January 2006 at 11:53.
Old 11th January 2006, 12:10   #60
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Nah, i don't think a quick entry is a needed. Brake before the corner, come off the gas a bit, let the kart turn in and then, slam the acce just before you exit the corner. It worked well for me.

Shan2nu
yes i quite agree with shan and steeroid here .. I always prefer braking in a straight line just before u start to turn in , ease off a bit and then cut into the corner to make sure u hit the apex , and mid-way into the corner start powering out .. Has always worked well for me .. Also something that one can try if possible .. soon after u finish braking , try to use minimal throttle as in just keep a very light foot ( dab at the throttle a few times ) while turning into the corner .. this gives u a chance to further shave off a milli-seconds if done properly ...

trying to go hot into a corner will only lead to excessive sliding which in turn results in loss of power , and slowers ur exit times dramatically .. And yes like shan pointed out , it will lead to only wider lines and hence further loss in timings ..

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 11th January 2006 at 12:14.
Closed Thread