Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 22nd April 2011, 17:15   #1
BHPian

Default Chevy Optra Engine SEIZED!

Hi Guys,

I had bought a Petrol Optra 1.6 in Dec 2010 (Used). It was for my wife and had been run only by her in last 4 month

But the car just met with a disaster and I seek out help from this forum

Looks like she was driving it with no coolant in the engine. I never got time from my schedule in last few months to check the coolant level...

The car got extremely hot and the engine seized yesterday :(

I had doubted that the head gaskat must have blown and might have lead to few bent valves as well

Chevy Authorised Centre Towed the car to the workshop and today informed me that its not the head gasket or the valves since the car can still start though requires a real long crank. The car goes into Limp Mode/Engine check as soon as it starts. The timing belt is ok as well...

They say they have to remove the engine and looks like one or more pistons have jammed leading to seizure

They are quoting real high estimate for removing the engine and fixing the issue and I am not sure of going ahead with them, hence got the car towed back home today

Now also looks like the original/OEM parts are not available outside and Chevrolet does not sell spares over the counter

Now I real wan your opinion and also tell me:

1.) Is it possible to source engine components/ spares from outside the A.S.S

2.) Can you recommend me an expert level mechanic who can do the job for me..

Please Help out guys. I am really counting on this forum now

regards

Rajeev

Last edited by bblost : 22nd April 2011 at 17:19. Reason: 2 smileys per post. Thanks.
rajismine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 17:28   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Need Urgent Help: Chevy Optra Engine Seized

Parts availability is not a problem for Chevy, you can try AutoStart at Ranigunj or Royal Auto at Masabtank.

Any independent garage worth its salt can do the job it all depends on where you are located.

Dont give your car to KUN they are bunch of idiots.
If u still face problems with parts availabilty kindly p.m.
D.V.R is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 17:36   #3
BHPian

Hey Thanks a ton DVR for taking time to write and help

I called Auto start as well as Royal but both say they have Imported parts!!

They say its not the original parts and and Good quality Imported parts - can I trust that they will be good parts and I wont run into issues later

You are right. I gave my car to KUN and initial 2 discussion with them was so cold and the guys were not even ready to explain much. The manager came to me and asked - Is this your car? I said yes. He said you are in a soop and walked away.

After 10 mins the mechanic came to me and did not explain much to me except that he will have to bring the engine down and may cost about Rs 60K to fix that. I saw Whaat!! I dont believe that and got my car towed back home

KUN and Orange motors also dont sell parts over the counter which is making me nervous. This is covered under the old MRTP act as Unfair and restrictive trade practise but cant do anything for now

Please tell me if those parts from Auto Start or Royal will be good else is there any city/way to get original parts

Also please suggest me mechanics/Workshops who are knowledgeable and price the labour reasonably

thanks again

Rajeev
Old 22nd April 2011, 17:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Firstly Rajiv,have you been told what parts are damaged ? To my knowledge you can't get to know the extent of damage without opening the Engine. If the engine is still starting then I would think that crank, pistons and con rods should be ok.

Please PM me, might be able to help you.

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 18:12   #5
BHPian

Hello MileCruncher

The car starts after a 10-15secs crank and goes into limp mode immediately with check engine on the console

KUN did not tell me the parts but their response was extremely cold. They told me they will have to remove the engine and open it and then only will know the extent of damage. The issue is the i was not happy with attitude and did not want to take a risk of them opening the engine cause then I would be out of any other solution

They said that since the car starts, the head gasket and valves should be ok and its the piston that might be stuck...it could be the rings or rings+piston or rings+piston+block+head

And if there is a scratch in the bore it would be even worse. but since I lack this technical knowhow, I seek help from you guys

Thanks a lot for helping out and sharing Prabhu's new number. I gave him a call and he will send someone tomorrow morning to have a look at the vehicle and suggest remedies

Keeping my fingures crossed

Regards

Rajeev

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 23rd April 2011 at 23:25.
Old 22nd April 2011, 18:56   #6
BHPian

Raj,you would not be facing any problems with the parts.Recently my optra's a/c belt got shred.Since I was near KUN i gave them a try and the quote I got was 3k .The part cost was 1.5k and the rst towards labor.The same belt cost me 600rs at KUN in 2007,

I got the same part outside for 500rs only it was Gates branded and the gates is OEM supplier for GM.My car is having no problems now.

It seems like you are in touch with NewMars,they are a quite good to do the job.

If you prefer in sec-bad you can try out Mazda Motors/Auto Chenoy you can be assured that your car will be treated well.
D.V.R is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2011, 15:39   #7
BHPian

is there anyway we can know the OEM manufacturer of Optra Engine parts like Crank, Piston rings and Piston

I am also wondering if I should sell the car as is if I can get a decent price

regards
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
UPDATE: Apr 23, 2011

The car has been towed by Prabhu's (New Mars) staff from my home.

Prabhu has been very helpful so far..

Keeping my fingers crossed now :-(
Old 23rd April 2011, 15:48   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Chevy Optra Engine SEIZED!

Quote:
Looks like she was driving it with no coolant in the engine. I never got time from my schedule in last few months to check the coolant level
Both of you are at fault (poor car!!). Checking on the basics is as simple as spending 2 minutes more at the petrol pump. I usually give a once-over under the hood, while my tank is being filled up.

Get in touch with Shetty Motors (Link to Directory Entry (Spare parts : Shetty Motors (Opera House, Mumbai))). They should easily be able to source the parts you require. However, before ordering any parts, first have an expert mechanic compile a list of what's really required.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2011, 16:00   #9
BHPian

thanks GTO for pitching in with guidance...

yes both of us are at fault...infact its 95% of me who is at fault since she just learnt driving recently and does not knwo about technicalities..

I am going to compile a list of parts I need and then figure out how to get them..

But also advise me with one more thing: I checked with local dealers who can source Imported parts as well as original parts and the difference is unbelievable.

Original parts are upto four times the imported ones. The dealer told me that there are only few manufacturers hence imported ones are also very good quality products like piston and piston rings and I need not worry about the quality. Original ones are way too expensive because of company pricing policy and are only marginally better then the Imported stuff...

Is that true? For example I was told that Company Piston is about Rs 4500 "each piece" and Imported Set of Four Pistons is about Rs 3800

Regards

Rajeev
Old 23rd April 2011, 16:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

Dear Rajeev,

Engine seizure can cause damage to the Pistons, Bearings both big and small end, valves etc.
In your car's case even if valves seems OK as opined by a mechanic, a clear picture would emerge only after an open inspection.
Piston damage means the cylinders need to go for a rebore or insertion of new cylinder liners and pistons along with the crank shaft bearing setting if required and can put the engine back to normal. Only concern could be the cost implication.
If parts are available a good mechanic can make it ticking normally again.
For parts you can also try at Carnation.

Try this link also Contact-BKS Motors Pvt. Ltd. if they are of any help
for spares.

Regards,
rajeev

Last edited by rajeev k : 23rd April 2011 at 16:27.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2011, 17:18   #11
BHPian

Raj, has your been checked?Update with the damages and estimate?

Regarding the OEM part supplier most of the internal parts in my Optra2004 are imported form GM Daewoo Korea.

Regarding selling the car ,it all depends on the extent of damage being done.Selling as it could cause you a huge loss,as it Optra in top condition have very poor resale value.
D.V.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2011, 21:09   #12
BHPian

Hello DVR,

The engine has not been opened yet. New Mars informed me that there is very low compression hence the its definitive that engine will need to be opened and that will happen on monday

I have checked locally and from Shetty Motors, Mumbai as well and like all of you mentioned, the parts are available

Now tell me this. I have a offer of Rs 1.45 for the Car in as is condition...Should I just sell it? or take a chance and get it repaired..

Last edited by rajismine : 23rd April 2011 at 21:11.
Old 23rd April 2011, 21:18   #13
BHPian

Hi Raj,

Sorry toknow that the compression is low.Was it on all the cylinders?

Regarding selling the car as is ,can you let me know the condition,age,kms run and other details?
D.V.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2011, 21:22   #14
BHPian

not sure if it was on all cylinders...but Prabhu told me that the compression is very low

The condition is neat with few dents on the body but extremely good interiors

Its a 2004 optra 1.6 base model driven about 57,000 kms

I am the second owner
Old 23rd April 2011, 21:30   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now tell me this. I have a offer of Rs 1.45 for the Car in as is condition...Should I just sell it? or take a chance and get it repaired..

Hi Raj,

unless until the optra is a very old one would advice you against selling it. new mars is a good place and let them first give a estimate after opening the up the engine. take the decision of selling or not, only after that.

there are many places to source parts in Hyderabad similar to autostart enterprises. but let new mars source the parts too.

hope this helps.

aadix.

edit: just saw you post, the market rate for a 2004 optra is roughly about 2.5l on avg. so take a call keeping that in mind. would suggest wait till the estimate comes in, weigh the pros and cons and take the call.

Last edited by aadix : 23rd April 2011 at 21:33.
aadix is offline   Reply With Quote