Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2011, 20:28   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 26
Thanked: 9 Times
Default How To: Drain water in Fuel Filter - Toyota Innova Diesel

Faced this situation over the weekend and thought a detailed post would be helpful for others.

Vehicle: Toyota Innova V - Diesel

On my trip over the weekend, the fuel indicator started blinking. I had remembered seeing the instructions on the driver side visor and happened to complete the steps mentioned to clear the warning.

1. Houston - We have a problem : Fuel indicator light blinking
How To: Drain water in Fuel Filter - Toyota Innova Diesel-1-warning-light.jpg

2. Instructions on driver side visor (flip it down to see)
How To: Drain water in Fuel Filter - Toyota Innova Diesel-2-driver-side-visor.jpg

3. Turn off engine, open hood
Name:  3 Step 1.JPG
Views: 11467
Size:  52.3 KB

4. The general location of the fuel filter
How To: Drain water in Fuel Filter - Toyota Innova Diesel-4-general-location.jpg

5. The culprit
How To: Drain water in Fuel Filter - Toyota Innova Diesel-5-fuel-filter.jpg

6. Hiding right behind the Battery is the fuel filter
How To: Drain water in Fuel Filter - Toyota Innova Diesel-6-specific-location.jpg

7. Loosen the plastic wing-nut 3-4 rotations, just enough to pump the water out
Name:  7 The Wing Nut.JPG
Views: 11110
Size:  56.8 KB

8. Pump out the accumulated water. You may stop once you smell the dense fumes of diesel.
How To: Drain water in Fuel Filter - Toyota Innova Diesel-8-pump.jpg

9. Not to forget, tighten the plastic wing-nut

Now you are set to go!!

Experts:
I usually fill diesel full tank when the fuel level reaches 1/4th mark. Since I was traveling towards TN, I thought of getting the lower price benefit and the tank was almost empty when I filled the tank at Hosur (BP TVS). The warning light started at about 150 kms later. The fuel filter was changed at the 30K service.

What might be the problem?
1. Bad fuel?
2. Service issues?
3. Condensation in the tank?


Thanks,
Carmania
carmania is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote

Old 24th April 2011, 20:47   #2
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 6,800
Thanked: 4,557 Times
Default Re: How To: Drain water in Fuel Filter - Innova Diesel

Hi Carmania, Thanks for sharing the procedure to remove water from Fuel Filter. This will be very useful for Innova owners who use their car for long distance highway runs as the availability of good quality Diesel on highways is Rare.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 21:00   #3
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,989
Thanked: 9,027 Times
Default Re: How To: Drain water in Fuel Filter - Toyota Innova Diesel

Carmania I have a feeling it's because of bad fuel at the highway bunk and not cause you filled towards empty.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 11:56   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,643
Thanked: 224 Times
Default Re: How To: Drain water in Fuel Filter - Toyota Innova Diesel

Do you also have a Separator (water from diesel) in Innova. The Safari has a Separator(near the fuel tank) and a drain plug(like you depicted) under the fuel filter too.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 17:45   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
mdsaab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,626
Thanked: 441 Times
Default Re: How To: Drain water in Fuel Filter - Toyota Innova Diesel

Thanks for posting a highly useful procedure. this can save a lot of time and discomfort to those stuck on the highway with an issue that can be solved in a few minutes.
i feel the light flashed up due to the poor fuel quality at the bunk.
there are a lot of instances where water is mixed into the fuel and sold. and sometimes the fuel tank storage at the pump was cleaned, so some water remains in the tank and this makes it's way into our engines when we tank up.
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 20:04   #6
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 26
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: How To: Drain water in Fuel Filter - Toyota Innova Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Hi Carmania, Thanks for sharing the procedure to remove water from Fuel Filter. This will be very useful for Innova owners who use their car for long distance highway runs as the availability of good quality Diesel on highways is Rare.
I thought that the procedure was quite simple, but locating the things that needed to be worked on took a couple of minutes. Now, I'm a master

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Carmania I have a feeling it's because of bad fuel at the highway bunk and not cause you filled towards empty.
I am always skeptical about the quality of fuel dispensed on our highways. I guess I was not lucky this time. Another tank full from another bunk and I don't have problems so far (just run about 40 kms).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Do you also have a Separator (water from diesel) in Innova. The Safari has a Separator(near the fuel tank) and a drain plug(like you depicted) under the fuel filter too.
Did a quick check on the underbody. Nothing is visible as such. Will check next time when she goes for service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Thanks for posting a highly useful procedure. this can save a lot of time and discomfort to those stuck on the highway with an issue that can be solved in a few minutes.
i feel the light flashed up due to the poor fuel quality at the bunk.
there are a lot of instances where water is mixed into the fuel and sold. and sometimes the fuel tank storage at the pump was cleaned, so some water remains in the tank and this makes it's way into our engines when we tank up.
We never know what those guys do. At least, I'm prepared now!

Carmania
carmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 23:37   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
parsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,314
Thanked: 668 Times
Default Re: How To: Drain water in Fuel Filter - Toyota Innova Diesel

Thanks carmania for sharing this practical procedure even though the animated procedure is always published by Toyota. This is indeed great knowledge, speaks a lot more words and makes it more explicit. As must be evident by now, a case of bad fuel. Got to be careful on highways, though I have not experienced this till now.

Since many may not have experienced this ever, some stupid Qs here:
1. Any speculation on why did it take 150kms for that light to turn on?
2. Was there any visible/audible difference in car's running during this 150km stretch?
3. I am sure you did not crank up engine once seen the light, or did you? If you did, did you observe any sort of sensation from the engine?
4. What are the after-effects of the procedure? How does the indication change in the control panel indicators post this?
parsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 10:58   #8
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 55
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: How To: Drain water in Fuel Filter - Toyota Innova Diesel

Carmania,
How do we know when to stop tightening the wing nut after draining the water? Lets say I have turned it anti-clockwise 4 times. Now after draining is it necessary to turn the wing nut clockwise the same number of times?
saravananj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 12:46   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,643
Thanked: 224 Times
Default Re: How To: Drain water in Fuel Filter - Toyota Innova Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmania View Post
I

Did a quick check on the underbody. Nothing is visible as such. Will check next time when she goes for service.
Its called the Sedimenter, just to use the right words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saravananj View Post
Carmania,
How do we know when to stop tightening the wing nut after draining the water? Lets say I have turned it anti-clockwise 4 times. Now after draining is it necessary to turn the wing nut clockwise the same number of times?
Tighten just as you would a normal nut, use 3 fingers to tighten so as not to overtighten it.
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2011, 18:28   #10
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 26
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: How To: Drain water in Fuel Filter - Toyota Innova Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Since many may not have experienced this ever, some stupid Qs here:
1. Any speculation on why did it take 150kms for that light to turn on?
2. Was there any visible/audible difference in car's running during this 150km stretch?
3. I am sure you did not crank up engine once seen the light, or did you? If you did, did you observe any sort of sensation from the engine?
4. What are the after-effects of the procedure? How does the indication change in the control panel indicators post this?
Justifiable Qs

1. The amount of water added to ~15 liters of diesel to fill up the fuel filter .
2. Didn't notice any difference, response, speed, NVH - none
3. I filled up the tank and started driving when the light started blinking.
4. Once you drain the water and turn the ignition, it is back to normal until the fuel filter gets filled again. Remember, I had filled ~45 lts of diesel and had to do this 3 times , all the warnings appeared when I was driving.
carmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 21:24   #11
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 221
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: How To: Drain water in Fuel Filter - Toyota Innova Diesel

Thanks guys for the info. I had to do this for innova as fuel filter light was blinking. It is a easy to do the activity
contactme27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toyota Innova Diesel - Battery issue VIKING Technical Stuff 14 25th December 2012 19:15
DIY - Swift Type 2 (2008 - 2011) DIESEL Fuel Filter Replacement shibujp Technical Stuff 7 5th December 2011 14:27
Toyota Innova or Toyota Altis Diesel h.k What Car? 9 4th October 2010 10:48
Water found with Diesel in my Getz CRDi - Fuel Tank anarchist Technical Stuff 17 31st July 2010 20:16
Toyota Innova G2 Diesel in Bangalore. oldmobile SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 8 19th December 2005 19:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:59.

Copyright 2000 - 2014, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks