Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 2nd May 2011, 22:11   #1
Senior - BHPian
Default Replacement for Foam filter oil

I got a foam type conical filter for my Baleno. Drove back home impressed with the intake growl. I was under the impression that oil is required during the clean up of the filter and checked the same with the people who sold me the filter. They told me that oil is not required for our conditions. Since they did not have the oil in stock and i thought i would get it later. However now i realize that the filter should be oiled in the first place. I dont want my engine sucking in dust.

Now coming to the thread topic,
  • Are any foam type filter oils readily available off the shelf in auto parts shops?
  • If they are not available, can i use any alternative oil like a gear box oil or any other mineral oil?

Btw i got the filter from Automech Engineers, and they even put me on phone with N1 racing equiment who told me that oil is not required on the foam filter.
heavy_foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 14:28   #2
Team-BHP Support
Default Re: Replacement for Foam filter oil

Use Notoil. It's a popular brand that shouldn't be too difficult to find.

That said, I'm pretty surprised at Automech & N1engineering giving you the wrong advice. AFAIK, foam air filters NEED to be oiled to work effectively!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote