Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 18th September 2015, 11:39   #31
Default Re: Completely repainting cars - Original factory quality

Originally Posted by freedom View Post
OP, Have you thought about the new PU wrap (I don't know a correct term for this) that is catching the fancy these days. Its a coating done on top of the existing paint and can be peeled off any time you want. Its sold as a DIY kit in US. I am not sure what damage the peel off may cause to an already weak paint. I have seen the PU job done on some pretty expensive cars.
Hi Freedom,
It not PU wraps but VINYL wraps.

@Forerunner: A 5 year car for ground up painting is not a good idea. I take cue from FREEDOM and suggest Vinyl Wraps too.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...nyl-wraps.html (About Vinyl Wraps)

As suggested by Salil, photos of car will help members to guide you better.

Raab Rakha.
ariesonu is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015, 11:53   #32
Senior - BHPian

What you need in my opinion is a touch up.

The first thing I would do is try exterior detailing. It would cost you anywhere between 1,000 to 5,000. If that solves the problem then good

If not, then I would recommend a re-coat. What this means is a layer of paint sprayed onto your car covering only the exterior. This is an easy and quick job but please ensure that this is done in an enclosed paint-booth. The cost should come to around 10,000 to 15,000 all inclusive

If you are going for factory spec, be prepared to pay close to 30,000 to 50,000 with the car stripped to its metal shell, sand blasted, treated for rust and dents and then painted. This is also called restoration ;-)

As for answering questions that prospective buyers might ask on the repaint, keep the bills and before-after photographs of the car handy

All the best

There is this quote I read a few days back.
"My Wife wants to change her name to Mercedes, thinking atleast then I might start spending money on her!!!"
- Mercedes Benz W124 Owner

I can see where you are coming from, our vehicles are more than the sum of their total parts :-)

Last edited by TheARUN : 18th September 2015 at 11:57. Reason: grammar
TheARUN is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015, 12:40   #33

Originally Posted by ForeRunner View Post
Dear Friends,

I am looking forward to paint my 2010 Swift Dzire, as over the years, wear and tear has spoilt its look. And few body shop works at MSM haven't been done well. The nano thin paint work at MSM makes even a slight scratch to get the paint peeled off.

Now I am looking to completely repaint the car with the same color (white), with the same quality (at least near-factory quality). Now please suggest to me the price and place to get quality work done in Chennai or Bangalore (I am willing to bring the car to Bangalore if the service provided is top notch).

Kindly help me. Thanks in advance.
Painting work clearly depends on the skilled workmanship and less to do with the workshop or a roadside garage. Work done by a local garage could be much more superior compared to an authorized workshop and this I am saying through my own experience. One thing you have to very cautious while you get your car repainted is dismantling and again assembling of the bushes, bidding, etc once the painting is done. This is where the experience of the workshop comes into the picture. Haphazard fitting of the window bidding, etc even after a fantastic paint job will pull down the complete make over experience. This will also pull down the market value of the car completely. Please be extremely careful about this aspect if you have already made up your mind.

Having said this, the very fact that the car has been repainted will depreciate its market value significantly, irrespective of its reason.

sumitdongerkery is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015, 12:46   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

The ED coating will be pretty much intact. If the car is getting repainted ensure, all the body fillers are done properly along with a good coat of primer. Then go ahead with any color you want to, as the process remains the same. But change of color will bring unwanted hassles of updating your RC with the change in color. Same color should pose no issues.

All good paint and body work will have a paint booth and an oven to bake the paint. It is generally baked at either 65 or 70 degrees for a duration of 4 hours.

Recently got my bike repainted to Pearl white with a thick layer of laquer coating. The finish is miles ahead of the factory paint which is nothing to write home about

My colleague's Honda City Anniversary edition had tonnes of rust on all 4 doors. These were repaired and repainted. The result is seemingly better than what Honda initially provided.
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote