Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 18th September 2015, 11:39   #31
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Completely repainting cars - Original factory quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
OP, Have you thought about the new PU wrap (I don't know a correct term for this) that is catching the fancy these days. Its a coating done on top of the existing paint and can be peeled off any time you want. Its sold as a DIY kit in US. I am not sure what damage the peel off may cause to an already weak paint. I have seen the PU job done on some pretty expensive cars.
Hi Freedom,
It not PU wraps but VINYL wraps.

@Forerunner: A 5 year car for ground up painting is not a good idea. I take cue from FREEDOM and suggest Vinyl Wraps too.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...nyl-wraps.html (About Vinyl Wraps)

As suggested by Salil, photos of car will help members to guide you better.

Raab Rakha.
ariesonu is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015, 11:53   #32
Senior - BHPian

What you need in my opinion is a touch up.

The first thing I would do is try exterior detailing. It would cost you anywhere between 1,000 to 5,000. If that solves the problem then good

If not, then I would recommend a re-coat. What this means is a layer of paint sprayed onto your car covering only the exterior. This is an easy and quick job but please ensure that this is done in an enclosed paint-booth. The cost should come to around 10,000 to 15,000 all inclusive

If you are going for factory spec, be prepared to pay close to 30,000 to 50,000 with the car stripped to its metal shell, sand blasted, treated for rust and dents and then painted. This is also called restoration ;-)

As for answering questions that prospective buyers might ask on the repaint, keep the bills and before-after photographs of the car handy

All the best

There is this quote I read a few days back.
"My Wife wants to change her name to Mercedes, thinking atleast then I might start spending money on her!!!"
- Mercedes Benz W124 Owner

I can see where you are coming from, our vehicles are more than the sum of their total parts :-)

Last edited by TheARUN : 18th September 2015 at 11:57. Reason: grammar
TheARUN is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015, 12:40   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeRunner View Post
Dear Friends,

I am looking forward to paint my 2010 Swift Dzire, as over the years, wear and tear has spoilt its look. And few body shop works at MSM haven't been done well. The nano thin paint work at MSM makes even a slight scratch to get the paint peeled off.

Now I am looking to completely repaint the car with the same color (white), with the same quality (at least near-factory quality). Now please suggest to me the price and place to get quality work done in Chennai or Bangalore (I am willing to bring the car to Bangalore if the service provided is top notch).

Kindly help me. Thanks in advance.
Painting work clearly depends on the skilled workmanship and less to do with the workshop or a roadside garage. Work done by a local garage could be much more superior compared to an authorized workshop and this I am saying through my own experience. One thing you have to very cautious while you get your car repainted is dismantling and again assembling of the bushes, bidding, etc once the painting is done. This is where the experience of the workshop comes into the picture. Haphazard fitting of the window bidding, etc even after a fantastic paint job will pull down the complete make over experience. This will also pull down the market value of the car completely. Please be extremely careful about this aspect if you have already made up your mind.

Having said this, the very fact that the car has been repainted will depreciate its market value significantly, irrespective of its reason.

Cheers!
sumitdongerkery is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015, 12:46   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

The ED coating will be pretty much intact. If the car is getting repainted ensure, all the body fillers are done properly along with a good coat of primer. Then go ahead with any color you want to, as the process remains the same. But change of color will bring unwanted hassles of updating your RC with the change in color. Same color should pose no issues.

All good paint and body work will have a paint booth and an oven to bake the paint. It is generally baked at either 65 or 70 degrees for a duration of 4 hours.

Recently got my bike repainted to Pearl white with a thick layer of laquer coating. The finish is miles ahead of the factory paint which is nothing to write home about

My colleague's Honda City Anniversary edition had tonnes of rust on all 4 doors. These were repaired and repainted. The result is seemingly better than what Honda initially provided.
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 14:35   #35

Default Honda city 2004 "A NEW BREATH OF LIFE"

Greetings gentlemen,

I was inspired by a “2006 HONDA CITY REVAMP” thread on this forum. I came across it a couple of years ago and wanted to try a thing or two of my own. Mine is a used 2004 HONDA CITY GXI which I bought in 2013. The car had a SEVERE BODY CORROSION and to complement that the PAINT was an aftermarket green.

I decided to GET A NEW PAINTJOB AND BODYWORK DONE. After looking around Kolkata I zeroed in on 11MOTORS (Courtesy Google!). So I made an appointment and met the owner, agreed upon the price etc and dropped off the car on 21Jan2017. I'm not really convinced as the owner did'nt seem to know his stuff. I still decided to drop of the car as time was not on my side.

JUST HOPE HE DOES A DECENT JOB!

The COST OF THE BODYWORK AGREED UPON IS AS FOLLOWS:-

1. body denting and painting Rs 50000/-
2. headlight assembly Rs 7500/-
3. ORVM X2 Rs 3500/-
4. Dashboard centre console Rs 1500/-
5. Wheel caps Rs 1800/-
6. Finishing logos etc Rs 1700/-

HERE ARE A COUPLE OF PICS OF THE CAR BEFORE THE WORK.

Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)-img20150917wa0000.jpeg

Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)-img20150917wa0002.jpeg

Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)-img20150917wa0004.jpeg

Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)-img20150917wa0006.jpeg

Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)-img20150917wa0008.jpeg

Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)-img20150917wa0012.jpeg

Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)-img20150917wa0020.jpeg

Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)-img20150917wa0016.jpeg

UPDATE – 31JAN2017

TODAY I COULD CHECK UP ON MY CAR AND PROGRESS OF WORK. The vehicle was shown to me as promised. The headlights were replaced as well and it LOOKED GREAT. A couple of points I noticed that I wanted to jot down are as follows.

POSITIVE POINTS

1. All the rusted and corroding parts known to me have been addressed. (Even the concealed ones.)
2. Jutting out screws and bolts had been countersunk.
3. Nice improvisation to conceal my chipped front bumper.
4. Good job on leveling the terribly bent up sheet metal.

NEGATIVE POINTS

1. The gap between the front bumper and the headlights has been removed by running a screw into the bumper and through the headlight. (I’m not kidding! they’ve busted my brand new headlights.)
2. Old paint has not been scraped off. He says he’ll paint over.
3. He hasn’t showed me his workshop yet and I’m not convinced he has one.

I’m still optimistic about the job.
HERE ARE PICS OF THE WORK IN PROGRESS AS SHOWED TO ME.

Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)-2.jpg

Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)-3.jpg

Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)-4.jpg

Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)-5.jpg

Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)-6.jpg

Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)-7.jpg

[b]FINALLY RECEIVED MY CAR on 25Feb17. I'm excited and I think the colour is spot on. From the outside the car looks well done up.
SO TO SUM UP MY EXPERIENCE I'LL LIST THE POINTS AS UNDER:-

THINGS I LIKED

1. GOOD job with the choice of COLOR.
2. The owner seemed to be responsive and prompt in returning calls and uploading pics etc.
3. I liked the attention given to details like the black components.

THINGS I DID NOT LIKE

1. The paint has particles which indicate it was painted in the open.
2. Incomplete work as the dashboard work was left out.
3. Indicators were broken when I received the car.( The owner told me to stick it with super glue)
4. Not happy about the lacquer used as the finish looks dull already.
5. He did not give me a copy of what was agreed upon and kept correcting the same over time. UNPROFESSIONAL APPROACH to the deal.

So Overall I'd say that I'm satisfied with the quality of work. Though not perfect I think a coat of paint protection will bring the shine back.

NOTE ABOUT 11MOTORS. The company is run by a person named Archit Khanna. I HAVE NOT SEEN his equipment or workshop however I must say that his price was the best I could manage in Kolkata. His front office is a small room in a residential complex in Belgachia. Not exactly what I had in mind after A VISIT TO HIS WEBSITE.

HERE ARE A COUPLE OF PICS OF THE CAR AFTER THE PAINTJOB.

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 1351
Size:  73.4 KB

Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)-1a.jpg

Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)-9.jpg

Last edited by navin : 6th March 2017 at 16:47. Reason: edited 3 smileys.
ghostforce is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 15:36   #36
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Honda city 2004 "A NEW BREATH OF LIFE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostforce View Post
THINGS I DID NOT LIKE

====
5. He did not give me a copy of what was agreed upon and kept correcting the same over time. UNPROFESSIONAL APPROACH to the deal.

So Overall I'd say that I'm satisfied with the quality of work. Though not perfect I think a coat of paint protection will bring the shine back.
Would you have better/closer picture of the paint finish?

50k for an overcoat is not cheap either, here in Bangalore reputed shops charge between 40-60 k for the size of sedan you have. After spending so much you should demand a fix if finish is not upto the mark.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 16:08   #37
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)

Hi guys,

I too looking to get an overcoat done on my Polo but looking for a good professional painter in Mumbai.

Now, I have been told there there are water-based paints and oil-based paints. The water-based paints are used by the Europeans and hence they get that top finish as compared to the oil-based paints used by the Japanese & Koreans. Is this true?

I have used the services of Rio Designs at Bandra and was very happy with the outcome but their prices are almost double than a regular paint shop so doing an overcoat there is something to think about. As per them they too use oil-based paint.

Any suggestions on an alternate professional painter?

Last edited by Epic : 3rd March 2017 at 16:29.
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 16:15   #38
BHPian

@ghostforce, if you haven't seen his garage itself, how did you bring yourself to leave your car under his care? Things like driving a screw through the head-lamp assy. doesn't look good to me.

Also could you please upload some close-up pics of the panels? Just to see how the finish came out.
MalluDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 00:57   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi guys,

I too looking to get an overcoat done on my Polo but looking for a good professional painter in Mumbai.

Now, I have been told there there are water-based paints and oil-based paints. The water-based paints are used by the Europeans and hence they get that top finish as compared to the oil-based paints used by the Japanese & Koreans. Is this true?

I have used the services of Rio Designs at Bandra and was very happy with the outcome but their prices are almost double than a regular paint shop so doing an overcoat there is something to think about. As per them they too use oil-based paint.

Any suggestions on an alternate professional painter?
Where in Mumbai are you based ? I have a painter in Santacruz W who has been doing our cars for years. Overall workmanship is decent/good especially considering the price. He doesnt have a fancy workshop though, just an area enclosed by plastic sheeting in an open air garage complex
Mortis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 12:02   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi guys,

Your Polo is only six years old - are you already facing issues with the paint? Or is it a case of scratches, in which case detailing might be the better solution.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 15:02   #41
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Honda city 2004 "A NEW BREATH OF LIFE"

Quote:
[b]FINALLY RECEIVED MY CAR on 25Feb17. I'm excited and I think the colour is spot on. From the outside the car looks well done up.
SO TO SUM UP MY EXPERIENCE I'LL LIST THE POINTS AS UNDER:-

THINGS I LIKED

1. GOOD job with the choice of COLOR.
2. The owner seemed to be responsive and prompt in returning calls and uploading pics etc.
3. I liked the attention given to details like the black components.

THINGS I DID NOT LIKE

2. Incomplete work as the dashboard work was left out.
3. Indicators were broken when I received the car.( The owner told me to stick it with super glue)
When you spent so much on the car, you should have simply replaced those bumpers. The jugaad they have done on your bumper is just stupid. They seem to have driven quite some screws(especially on the rear), filled it up and painted on top of those screws. Now in case you need to remove the bumper due to some maintenance work, first task for the mechanic to find those screws and next, removing them, which will make the whole bumper look pathetic.

Please dont mind the comparo, but that fix on the bumper reminds me of State Transport Union workshops trying to drive rivets onto whichever part is loose in a bus and then painting on top of it. If I had paid such a pricey sum for my car, I would have expected a much more professional work.

Also, I believe your car had already been painted whole. If so, then painting another coat all over means too much paint. The surface should have been stripped down and prepared better, if you want a long lasting paintwork.
audioholic is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 19:43   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Would you have better/closer picture of the paint finish?

50k for an overcoat is not cheap either, here in Bangalore reputed shops charge between 40-60 k for the size of sedan you have. After spending so much you should demand a fix if finish is not upto the mark.
Prior to giving the car for the body work I looked around Kolkata for all the OPTIONS AVAILABLE TO ME. I was actually considering driving down to Bangalore and give the car to RED ROOSTER.
But due to various reasons (mainly work) I had to settle for someone in Kolkata.
Dealers in Kolkata quoted from Rs 75,000/- to Rs90,000/-. Finally came to this guy and his website looked really impressive. Looked like he worked only on high end cars.
My work gives me restricted access to cities and I had just about a month to take a call on what to do. So finally I had to settle for this guy. Do advice on what I need to do to keep the car looking presentable. THANKS

PS: I'm not going back to 11motors Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalluDude View Post
@ghostforce, if you haven't seen his garage itself, how did you bring yourself to leave your car under his care? Things like driving a screw through the head-lamp assy. doesn't look good to me.

Also could you please upload some close-up pics of the panels? Just to see how the finish came out.
Regarding seeing his garage and equipment, that's the first thing I asked him but he refused siting some weird reason that HIS CLIENTS START DEALING WITH THE WORKERS DIRECTLY AND HE LOSES BUISNESS! I can't really say but it looks to me like the car was painted in the open.
PLANNING TO SEAL THE HEADLIGHT ASSY WITH HOT GLUE TO PREVENT FOGGING. Hope it works.
PICS ATTACHED AS ASKED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
When you spent so much on the car, you should have simply replaced those bumpers. The jugaad they have done on your bumper is just stupid. They seem to have driven quite some screws(especially on the rear), filled it up and painted on top of those screws. Now in case you need to remove the bumper due to some maintenance work, first task for the mechanic to find those screws and next, removing them, which will make the whole bumper look pathetic.

Please dont mind the comparo, but that fix on the bumper reminds me of State Transport Union workshops trying to drive rivets onto whichever part is loose in a bus and then painting on top of it. If I had paid such a pricey sum for my car, I would have expected a much more professional work.

Also, I believe your car had already been painted whole. If so, then painting another coat all over means too much paint. The surface should have been stripped down and prepared better, if you want a long lasting paintwork.
I Agree, and thanks for the heads up on the bumper work. Will keep that in mind if the bumper has to come off. SO THERE"S PROBABLY TWO OVERCOATS ON THE CAR NOW. Will that cause any severe problem? I intend to get a paint protection done on the car.

PLANNING LIFE OF THE CAR 5 YEARS MAX. Hope the paint job lasts that long.
Attached Thumbnails
Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)-1.jpg  

Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)-2.jpg  

Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)-3.jpg  

Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)-4.jpg  

Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)-5.jpg  

ghostforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 20:23   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Where in Mumbai are you based ? I have a painter in Santacruz W who has been doing our cars for years. Overall workmanship is decent/good especially considering the price. He doesnt have a fancy workshop though, just an area enclosed by plastic sheeting in an open air garage complex
I used to stay at Bandra West but shifted to Borivali a year ago. At Bandra I used Rio's but now its too far to travel. Rio's have a proper painting booth so the outcome is pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Your Polo is only six years old - are you already facing issues with the paint? Or is it a case of scratches, in which case detailing might be the better solution.
Well there are totatlly no issues with the paint interms of corrosion neither are there any dents or accidntial damage. The issue is a few scratches especially on the hood which cannot be removed through detailing. More than that, there are paint chip offs certain panels and doors which are an eyesore especially since my car is black. And once the car is detailed, these paint chip offs stand out even more. The only option is to repaint.
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 20:51   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Do advice on what I need to do to keep the car looking presentable. THANKS
You can try doing the final finishing again, wet sanding, polishing and wax layer once again. Maybe try this on a small piece and see if the results are good and then decide to do the rest of the body.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 21:40   #45
BHPian

Hello

I recently got our family Civic repainted . Its at well over 1 lac kms right now and almost 10 years old. Got this done from Alfa Auto Works in Andheri , Mumbai. and quality is top notch. Its a parsi owned garage which has its own paint booth.

If one has a car that's worth keeping then doing it is well worth the price. I paid RS 35,000 for this job. Images are attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)-img_2310.jpg  

Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)-img_2311.jpg  

Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)-img_2312.jpg  

Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)-img_2313.jpg  

manishkapadia is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote