Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2017, 22:46   #46
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,605
Thanked: 6,690 Times
Default Re: Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishkapadia View Post
... ... ... If one has a car that's worth keeping then doing it is well worth the price. I paid RS 35,000 for this job. Images are attached.
That's an amazing result. The car looks like new. I am sure it is better value than applying fancy surface treatments every few years!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2017, 13:28   #47
Senior - BHPian
 
Epic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,192
Thanked: 280 Times
Default Water Based Paints vs Solvent Based Paints?

Hello everyone,

Needed some information on water based paints vs solvent based paints. In Mumbai I have not come across a single professional workshops till date that use water based paints. While researching on a workshop to get my VW Polo over coated, I came across a point from a friend of mine who suggested that for a better finish, I get the car painted from a workshop using water based paints.

I have asked many professional painters and all of them use solvent based paints even though their charges vary between 35k to a lakh for a entire re-coat. Only OEM like VW, Honda, Fiat, etc. use water based paints. On probing further, I have been told that companies have moved to water based paints only because they are more environment friendly as after the paint job what evaporates into the environment is water as compared to chemicals in the case of solvent based paints. But there is not specific difference in finish. As a matter of fact, I believe the finish will depend on the skill of the painter and the infrastructure used for the paint job.

Does a water based paint really make a significant difference in finish as compared to a solvent based paint?
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2017, 17:02   #48
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 635
Thanked: 299 Times
Default Re: Water Based Paints vs Solvent Based Paints?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hello everyone,

Needed some information on water based paints vs solvent based paints. In Mumbai I have not come across a single professional workshops till date that use water based paints. While researching on a workshop to get my VW Polo over coated, I came across a point from a friend of mine who suggested that for a better finish, I get the car painted from a workshop using water based paints.

I have asked many professional painters and all of them use solvent based paints even though their charges vary between 35k to a lakh for a entire re-coat. Only OEM like VW, Honda, Fiat, etc. use water based paints. On probing further, I have been told that companies have moved to water based paints only because they are more environment friendly as after the paint job what evaporates into the environment is water as compared to chemicals in the case of solvent based paints. But there is not specific difference in finish. As a matter of fact, I believe the finish will depend on the skill of the painter and the infrastructure used for the paint job.

Does a water based paint really make a significant difference in finish as compared to a solvent based paint?
The reason for this is probably the drying time and cost. Water based paints cost a lot more than solvent based ones too which might be hard to swallow for someone expecting a cheap and cheerful paint job from the local painter. Also it takes a LOT longer to air dry a water based paint and you would absolutely need a drying oven to set the paint as compared to solvent based paint, hence it is generally unfeasible for small paint shops who rely on a quick turnaround time.
That said, you will still get a perfect shade match to your water based paint if you repaint with a solvent one. As far as I can tell, if you want a better aftermarket paint then Standox paints are better compared to the regular Dupont ones AFAIK. The cost would be around 70% more than Dupont i.e. if Dupont costs 3k then Standox would cost 5k.
Do you want the contact details of my guy ? He has both options and if you want you can visit him to get an idea of his paint quality and workshop
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2017, 19:20   #49
Senior - BHPian
 
Epic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,192
Thanked: 280 Times
Default Re: Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)

So I finally got my 2011 VW Polo 1.6 a paint over coated from the authorized VW Authorized Service Center and I was overwhelmed by the result and that too at a reasonable price. I paid a total of 60k for the job which took around 10 days and I am very happy with the result. Here is the outcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)-polo-bonnet.jpg  

Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)-polo-bonnet-close-up.jpg  

Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)-polo-front-panel.jpg  

Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)-polo-front-left.jpg  

Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)-polo-side.jpg  

Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)-polo-side-left.jpg  

Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)-polo-side-right.jpg  

Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)-polo-rear.jpg  

Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)-polo-rear-close.jpg  

Epic is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2017, 20:16   #50
BHPian
 
abhishek46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Athlone,Ireland
Posts: 608
Thanked: 859 Times
Default Re: Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
So I finally got my 2011 VW Polo 1.6 a paint over coated from the authorized VW Authorized Service Center and I was overwhelmed by the result and that too at a reasonable price. I paid a total of 60k for the job which took around 10 days and I am very happy with the result. Here is the outcome.
May I kindly ask why you went for a repaint, and how many years old was your car?
I ask this question, because i own a VW polo and I clearly remember at the time, VW boasting off in all ADs etc about their supreme paint quality.

Had you tried the 3M treatments anytime before?
abhishek46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2017, 22:41   #51
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,605
Thanked: 6,690 Times
Default Re: Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
So I finally got my 2011 VW Polo 1.6 a paint over coated from the authorized VW Authorized Service Center ... ... ...
Fantastic. I too wonder if it really needed it, and why, but no arguments with the results: you've got yourself a brand new car for 60K!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2017, 09:14   #52
Senior - BHPian
 
Epic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,192
Thanked: 280 Times
Default Re: Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
May I kindly ask why you went for a repaint, and how many years old was your car?
I ask this question, because i own a VW polo and I clearly remember at the time, VW boasting off in all ADs etc about their supreme paint quality.

Had you tried the 3M treatments anytime before?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Fantastic. I too wonder if it really needed it, and why,
My car completed 5 years in Feb 2017. Well firstly let me make it clear that there was no issue with the original paint quality at all. The problem was I had a few scratches and paint chips that was caused flying stones and other careless drivers which of course no amount of detailing could remove. These are an eye sore especially on a black car.

The affected areas were the hood, front panels, front two doors and bumpers. Based on this I thought might as well give it an overcoat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
but no arguments with the results: you've got yourself a brand new car for 60K!
I was in two minds whether to take the chance with the authorized service centre or give it outside somewhere but I am more than happy with the result!
Epic is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2017, 13:57   #53
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,605
Thanked: 6,690 Times
Default Re: Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)

Thanks, Epic, and again: congratulations on your "new" car

Do you plan to go for any paint protection/sealant treatment on the new paint?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2017, 11:03   #54
Senior - BHPian
 
Epic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,192
Thanked: 280 Times
Default Re: Repaint without stripping the car? (Paint Overcoat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Thanks, Epic, and again: congratulations on your "new" car

Do you plan to go for any paint protection/sealant treatment on the new paint?
Now that the there is a new paint job on the car, I am considering the ceramic coating.
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Registration of a new car without any broker(without paying bribe) in Noida hdi_pro Indian Car Loans & Insurance 56 23rd March 2017 20:40
Cost to repaint a Car? musicmanaman Technical Stuff 34 6th March 2017 14:55
DKG's Paint Stripping Machine GTO Technical Stuff 7 20th October 2016 13:11
Restoration of a Norton Big Four 633cc - Stage 1 - Stripping her down kevinephraim Vintage Cars & Classics in India 21 11th December 2011 22:29
corolla repaint!! impact Modifications & Accessories 38 5th April 2007 20:33


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:45.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks