Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 26th May 2011, 10:39   #91
BANNED

Default Re: Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
I appreciate your effort in pointing out the consequences but the constant niggling issues with painter are keeping me off from suggesting or directing anything. He seemed furious the moment i told him i have bought the kit and material as he was strongly urging me to purchase the kit from his source that too at half rate. Have bought the paint kit for 4000 Rs + 1800 more for other material.
Regarding the shade i am not worried about it as i will get it repainted as per my specs in the coming 2 to 3 years using the correct shade, material and technique. I really can't stop myself from thanking you for the cross ref. nos.
I am attaching a pic of the car with the surfacer. Just found it on my memory card.
Sagar,

Do a very simple thing right now.

1) Give some handsome money to the painter for a nice lunch of Biryani and *****
2) Get a little bit more friendly with him by striking an emotional chord regarding the car.
3) Buy him a Lightest of Pink base coat (matte) 1 litre might cost you Rs 600/-, you only need a litre.
4) Ask him to spray this a day before the final coats.
5) Tell him you will pay a little bit extra.

By doing all this, you might loose 2K , but it will save you 15K over the next 10 years....
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 10:59   #92
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
2) Get a little bit more friendly with him by striking an emotional chord regarding the car.

You know what all I did, while restoring my Grand dad's 1100?!!

- Told all stories about my association with the 1100 since childhood to the tinker.
- Showed all my old pics with the 1100, took large prints of the same, pasted in the garage and told them that this is how I expect the end product to be..
- Took my folks at home to the garage.
- My friends used to frequently visit the garage and appreciate the work done.
- I used to take loads of pics and tell the garage guys that these pics would be put in a Website and whole world is seeing your work and applaud about the same.

Result: Job was done to my satisfaction and I spent a little extra bucks.

Next: Now for the mechanical work, I plan to keep a tripod and do a video shoot, as though I am shooting a video for the restoration of my car. Trust me, it works.

Last edited by EARTHed : 26th May 2011 at 11:23.
EARTHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 12:01   #93
Senior - BHPian

Irrespective of you get the base coat changed or not, PK's words are of gold. If you get the desired shade or not, you get the best result when the painter does the work from his heart, same applies to any other work in the restoration process. It should be of utmost importance to maintain the perfect rapport with the personel working on the car. When things are done with love, it matters.

Some how manage the extra bucks, build the necessary rapport with the personel (figure what makes them happy and fulfil it) and get the best for your car. Why restore again and again, think as if this is your first and last opportunity and give her the best.

@ Earthed: Nice concept done by you. I remember you also telling me that your dad had used the same concept while restoring a Morris very long ago. The best part was the tinker retaining one of the family + car pics in garage as the Morris had brought lot of luck to him. Why dont you post some pics in the Nostalgia thread? I am sure everyone would love it.

Last edited by funkykar : 26th May 2011 at 12:05.
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 16:23   #94
BHPian

Quote:
I appreciate your effort in pointing out the consequences but the constant niggling issues with painter are keeping me off from suggesting or directing anything. He seemed furious the moment i told him i have bought the kit and material as he was strongly urging me to purchase the kit from his source that too at half rate. Have bought the paint kit for 4000 Rs + 1800 more for other material.
Regarding the shade i am not worried about it as i will get it repainted as per my specs in the coming 2 to 3 years using the correct shade, material and technique. I really can't stop myself from thanking you for the cross ref. nos.
I am attaching a pic of the car with the surfacer. Just found it on my memory card.
Hey Sagar,

Niggling issues with the people working on the car is a part and parcel of any restoration. To be frank I have lost the count of number of workshops from where I am virtually banned (Ravi..SuperSelect is aware of a few ) Regardless of whatever get things done precisely as what you want. Please dont compromise on anything. Repainting the car after a few years isn't the correct solution. The more a cars body is worked upon, the more 'life' it would lose. Not to mention the bodies on Padmini's post '86 is nothing worth writing home about. Please take your time and get things done EXACTLY the way you want them. Infact I would even suggest you to remove the engine to paint the engine bay correctly, including the steering box, tie-rods, radiator ,suspension upper and lower arms and chassis which should be painted individually. At the moment, we are having access to most of the mechanical consumables which would be required in this task, take gear lever bushes, original suspension bushes from VIR, radiator rubber bushes, etc etc. 3 to 5 years down the lane, even these might not be available. Please PM me your mobile number we can discuss some parts which can be sourced.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar

EDIT : Went through the photograph you uploaded, the trim on the C pillar should be removed before painting. There would be nuts on the inner side holding it in place. Paint it in body colour separately for correct finish.

Last edited by adheesh : 26th May 2011 at 16:30.
adheesh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 18:46   #95
Senior - BHPian

Well, I have been reminded by my mechanic and painter many times that we have been in the industry for long, and you are going to teach us . Thankfully I am not banned. What I did is requested then to do my way, and then even did the work my way to demonstrate them. Now we both are happy.

I agree with pawan and adheesh. Please paint a lighter shade before the final paint, gaddi ka raang nikar jayega and people will ask kya lagate ho .

Also please Buy Rust Guard from wurth (benifits explained already), it will give you amazing result and corrosion prevention. I am going to do the same treatment for my car interiors.
manishalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 21:10   #96
Senior - BHPian

Well thats a truck load of replies on the painting part . Appreciate the suggestions by fellow Fiatians. Will see what can be done now. Hope to complete the car by the end of this month except the interiors.
samsag12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 14:00   #97
BANNED

Quote:
Hope to complete the car by the end of this month except the interiors.
BUZZ!!

Its end of month. Is the Special One painted?

Any updates on the parts you wanted?
Old 31st May 2011, 19:20   #98
Senior - BHPian

The target is achieved and the S1 is painted, fitted with parts and accessories. Just awaiting final sanding and polishing. Will take the car back home on 2nd of June. Most probably share the final pics then.
Regarding the parts, Adheesh has come forward to help me source some vital parts.
Meanwhile few door hinge rubber parts were found missing when the door was being fixed. Called up a contact at the scrapyard and was surprised to know that a S1 will be coming in a day. Went there today and bought the required parts. Will be picking up the Exhaust manifold too.

Last edited by samsag12 : 31st May 2011 at 19:21.
Old 1st June 2011, 08:13   #99
BANNED

Come on Sagar. We need WIP pics too!

Are you satisfied with he color shade?
Old 1st June 2011, 08:39   #100
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHed View Post
Come on Sagar. We need WIP pics too!

Are you satisfied with he color shade?
People like us are standing on our Toes to know the final outcome

Dont post on this thread again without uploading photos.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 08:43   #101
BANNED

LOL PK!

Sagar, are you doing something like this too?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...ml#post1113014 (My 1973 (FIAT 1100) Premier President)

PK: My 1100's suspension will be removed this weekend! By next month the FIAT should be on road! Of course with your help..!
Old 7th June 2011, 17:54   #102
BANNED

Dear Sagar:
Kindly post the updates. We shall guide you in totality and also for parts.
Old 7th June 2011, 21:59   #103
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one) Painting completed

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHed View Post
Dear Sagar:
Kindly post the updates. We shall guide you in totality and also for parts.
Give me some time Will post some updates shortly. Currently busy with my term end.

Last edited by samsag12 : 7th June 2011 at 22:00.
Old 20th June 2011, 20:16   #104
Senior - BHPian

Hey Samsag

Changed my padmini's Timing chain for Good.
Cost - 750 + 250 ( labour ) changed hose pipe as well.

Bought new sealed beams for 120rs each - egolite - multireflector type.
silverado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 22:27   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Hey Samsag

Changed my padmini's Timing chain for Good.
Cost - 750 + 250 ( labour ) changed hose pipe as well.

Bought new sealed beams for 120rs each - egolite - multireflector type.
Glad to hear that you got the chain changed. What make is it. Hope you retained the old one though. The upper and lower Hose pipes for Padmini are easily available. S1 trios are impossible to procure though somehow i managed to dig out a set from somewhere.
If possible post some pics of the new lights.