Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 19th June 2012, 16:42   #121
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudittandon View Post
What a heart-warming thread! Brings back memories of Fiat rides back in the day.

I'm going to take up a similar project sometime next year. Totally impressed with your dedication -- although seeing everything that you've done, I'm now a little worried about being able to do it!

Although it seems to me now that the longer I wait, the more issues I'm going to have with parts etc!

Out of curiosity, is there a high quality multi-brand repair shop in your area? Did you consider a paint-job from someone like a carnation etc?
Thanks for the appreciation Mudit ji, don't worry about anything, you can easily restore a Fiat/PP as parts are still available for a premium. BTW do you own a Fiat or contemplating on restoring for someone?
I don't know about any repair shop in Delhi but in Lucknow, i have found a good Painting facility (paint booth) at one of the authorised service repair shops. Also for panel beating and all the work there are some skilled workmen who are good at their job.
Carnation has also opened its shop in Lucknow but its too far from the city hence i don't have much knowledge about them.
samsag12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2012, 10:38   #122
Senior - BHPian

As per the recommendation from Dhabhar sir i have relocated the fuel filter to a safe place, here are some pics of the new setup.
PS: Have retained the original filter spring and have used a Ign. Coil bracket to mount the filter.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-26062012437.jpg  

Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-26062012438.jpg  

Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-26062012439.jpg  

Last edited by samsag12 : 26th June 2012 at 10:40.
Old 26th June 2012, 11:52   #123
BHPian

Smile Re: Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)

This setup looks neat and more importantly safe as the pipe is away from spark plug wires and the number of joints are less. Is the petrol pipe on a support near the tappet cover or is it just hanging?
Scarlet_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2012, 13:07   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
This setup looks neat and more importantly safe as the pipe is away from spark plug wires and the number of joints are less. Is the petrol pipe on a support near the tappet cover or is it just hanging?
Nice to hear that from you Rahul bhai. Yes the pipe is hanging as of now, the bracket has to be shaped according to the pipe diameter which currently is almost flat in shape. Will do the needful as i get time.
samsag12 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 09:00   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Samsag12 - good. Please mount a clamp for the fuel pipe at the cylinder head location. Old fiats had this clamp, a rubber spacer in a sheet metal bracket. You can pick it up from scrapped engines. The fuel pipe must not even come close to the spark plug wire of the first cylinder. Is the filter tight on the ignition coil bracket? If yes, it is a good piece of information for me, thanks, if no, please add a spacer which will make it tight. Remove the original fuel filter mounting bracket from the cylinder head, it is doing nothing now.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 17:20   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Samsag12 - good. Please mount a clamp for the fuel pipe at the cylinder head location. Old fiats had this clamp, a rubber spacer in a sheet metal bracket. You can pick it up from scrapped engines. The fuel pipe must not even come close to the spark plug wire of the first cylinder. Is the filter tight on the ignition coil bracket? If yes, it is a good piece of information for me, thanks, if no, please add a spacer which will make it tight. Remove the original fuel filter mounting bracket from the cylinder head, it is doing nothing now.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Its a sheer coincidence that today only i found a bracket which i think you are referring to. Have attached the pic. But the problem is where to mount it. Also bought a crankcase ventilation pipe with rubber hose. It was very difficult to open the fuel pump nut holding it (i personally get down with a spanner at the scrapyard ) Now to fit it in the car i will have to either cut the pipe at tappet cover end or at the ventilation pipe itself to fit it.
Regarding the tightness of filter, as you are aware, the bracket has a provision to fix long screw and nut at the closed end, which can be tightened as required to shorten its diameter, i did the same thing, tightened the screw till it held the filter firmly thereby eliminating the spacer issue. BTW have retained the original filter clip for originality purposes as i have a new metal filter stored safely for future.
Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-27062012502.jpg
Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-27062012503.jpg
The vent pipe with hoses
Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-27062012511.jpg

Sir i need some help with this unusual switch fitted on this engine bay light. Can't seem to figure out how to operate it. I hope its not a nayaab thing as i plan to throw it and use a simple switch.
Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-27062012506.jpg
Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-27062012508.jpg
Old 27th June 2012, 20:53   #127
Senior - BHPian

Are it is simple push pull switch. You will get dime a dozen of these switches in auto shops .
manishalive is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2012, 09:43   #128
BHPian

What is the latest on your car? Please post the pictures after the restoration.
jaisha8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2012, 20:02   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisha8 View Post
What is the latest on your car? Please post the pictures after the restoration.
Nice to hear from you after a long gap, actually being a restoration thread i am a bit wary of posting daily updates. I hope its not against the forum rules.

Anyways as its almost a year since the restoration, currently i am working on its cosmetic bits, rubbing & polishing each panel myself to rejuvenate the paint that has started to look old. This will take some time.
On the mechanical front, usual servicing has been done, greasing, change of fluids & replacement of all filters.

Will be posting some pics especially of interior soon.
Old 22nd December 2012, 20:53   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
I Sir i need some help with this unusual switch fitted on this engine bay light. Can't seem to figure out how to operate it. I hope its not a nayaab thing as i plan to throw it and use a simple switch.
It is a limit switch type one; Push OFF type. Some flaps would keep it pushed and therefore in OFF position when the bonnet is shut and lights up automatically when the bonnet is opened.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 20:11   #131
BHPian

Hi guys .
My 84' Premier Padmini is going to the Butcher 2 days from now.

Can someone save her ??

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ore-vizag.html (Places to see enroute Bangalore to Vizag)

https://plus.google.com/photos/10032...55681060328001

Last edited by docel : 23rd April 2013 at 20:20.
docel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2013, 00:41   #132
BHPian

Just saw this post. If you fiat is not yet "butchered", please share your contact details.
bikertillidie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2013, 07:50   #133
Senior - BHPian

Here's what a pesky auto rickshaw did to my S1 few weeks back, was taking a U turn when this freak rammed from behind & as usual, had the guts to say it was my fault.
Bumper was folded resulting damage to the rear fender on other side too.

The damage
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-010720131872.jpg  

Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-010720131873.jpg  

Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-010720131874.jpg  

Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-010720131875.jpg  

Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-010720131876.jpg  

Old 28th July 2013, 22:18   #134
BHPian

Look forward to any suggestions restoring a Premier Padmini (model year 1990).

Mechanically, the car seems to be in decent shape. Body seems rusty in some places.

Judging from the overhead luggage rack, the car may have been used as a taxi at some point in time.

Can someone please suggest names/addresses of spare part dealers in Pune?

Rainwater seems to be leaking into the vehicle at many places, hence this needs urgent attention in order to avoid more expensive repairs later..
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-1374638531_530795630_1.jpg  

Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-1374638531_530795630_2.jpg  

Restoration of Premier Padmini S1 (the Special one)-1374638531_530795630_3_1.jpg  

bikertillidie is offline   Reply With Quote