Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 6th May 2011, 13:40   #1
BHPian

Default Esteem Manual to Automatic Conversion ...?

Hi Guys

Need to know if it is feasible cost wise and maintenance wise to convert from Manual to Automatic transmission in my mpfi esteem.

The need for this is that i am planning to make my wifey/ my dad primary users of this car. Dad is ok with manual, but wifey is a no no for manual trans. She is not ok to sell the car for new auto hatch.

For me, i am planning to buy a Jimny DDIS (whenever released or a used Gypsy).

My options and queries to convert are:
1. Buy 3 speed esteem auto transmission from MASS and get it installed there itself - is it still available...?
2. Buy 4 speed auto transmission of (A-star, SX4, i10) and get it installed at MASS
3. What is the cost of new AT box and used AT box
gypsyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 15:00   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Esteem Manual to Automatic Conversion ...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
My options and queries to convert are:
1. Buy 3 speed esteem auto transmission from MASS and get it installed there itself - is it still available...?
2. Buy 4 speed auto transmission of (A-star, SX4, i10) and get it installed at MASS
3. What is the cost of new AT box and used AT box
Did you check if the *** carries out this conversion, am quite sure they wont.

I dont think the conversion is not feasible because:

A-Star, SX4 and i10 engines are technically more advanced than the esteem mpfi engine.

The cost involved is not worth the outcome. Basically it wouldn't be reliable.

Since this car will be used by wifey and dad, buy a new Automatic vehicle which will be trouble/tension free for years to come.

Cheers,
Rajesh
2500cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 16:48   #3
BHPian

I have a Zen Automatic and conversions are a strict no no

Its surely not worth it to convert a esteem, yes i know they will keep running but rather then this why dont you exchange for a used automatic. You may be able to find a good OHC or NHC automatic or the santro automatic. Avoid the Esteem and the Zen Autos as they are out of production and they were produced in the dozens
kaushikkrishnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 16:52   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

@gypsyfreak, pls dont try this. Suggest you sell this car & buy an automatic. Conversions will not be reliable, and you may end up with a lot of problems in the car (related to the conversion itself).
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 17:59   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Older automatics have very poor resale. It would be both economically and practically, sensible to chose a used Auto. May be a Honda.

You wouldn't want your wife stuck with a problematic car en route to home, do you?
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 18:42   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
Buy 3 speed esteem auto transmission from MASS and get it installed there itself - is it still available...?
Besides the fact that the 3 speed is rubbish (4 speed is the minimum requirement), the cost of a fully imported tranny will cost you more than what your car is worth. Of course, that's if you would ever be able to source one.

Quote:
Not feasible.

Better you sell the Esteem and buy an AT, if you really want an AT.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 19:26   #7
BHPian

If you are looking at Auto Tranny due to budget constraints, then may be you can take a look at Auto Clutch

I remember seeing a few threads & reviews on this system, here in TBHP itself. You can probably contact those who are using this and take a trial. I would say you can give it a try if you want to retain your vehicle and enjoy the benifit of atleast a semi-auto tranny. Good Luck
kri$hna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011, 11:51   #8
BHPian

Thanks for your inputs guys...

It would be good to sell off the esteem and buy her an auto hatch.
AutoClutch still needs gears to be changed. Maybe i will get more details from AutoClutch guys and see if it is feasible option.
gypsyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote