Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 9th May 2011, 01:02   #1
BHPian

Default Oil in Spark Plug Well

Hi Folks
day before went to give my car - Optra 1.6 for CNG conversion and the installer told me that on checking the spark plugs he found a lot of oil in one of the spark plug wells. He said inspite of cleaning it up the oil was back in a some time. He also said that the O2 sensor was defective but he could trying some setting which might make it work.

He asked me to get the oil in spark plugh issue checked at the Service centre urgently and get it repaired. Suprisingly i had just completed my scheduled 50K Kms service just about a month back and there were no problems then.

I am more concerned on the oil in Spark plug well issue. Any ideas on the following:
- what causes this
- how it can be rectified
- how much it will cost
- How much time will the repair job take
- Can it be done at a local garage or does this warrant a visit to the service centre. I hate going to the service centre. I have lost total faith in the so called service centres.

Thanks folks
jinu_joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011, 01:22   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Oil in Spark Plug Well

Get it rectified asap, earlier the better. Either a leaking valve seat or a bust ring can be the cause. It will take 1-2 days if parts are available and take it to a dealer much more reliable. You might not be right in blaming the dealer workshop for this since, its probably a part failure and these days spark plugs needs attention during long intervals and might have gone unnoticed.

Is there any white smoke at start up or while reving the engine?
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011, 11:45   #3
BHPian

Nope no white smoke or any problems. Infact if the installer had not told me I would not know at all as the car is not showing any problem signs.
Old 9th May 2011, 17:08   #4
Team-BHP Support

That is strange, are you sure its oil and not unburnt fuel? If so check the electrical and ignition system for that cylinder especially.

Do this next cold start, stand outside and ask someone else to fire the engine up. See if you get white smoke for a few seconds?
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011, 19:14   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Since you didn't report any smoke or loss in power this might just be a 30mins job if you're lucky The o-rings/gasket in the cam cover which seals the spark plug hole may have busted. Cam cover needs to be taken out to check and replace.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 14:32   #6
BHPian

Suprise Suprise.. I took the car to the service centre today morning asking them to check it.. They said they will open the tappet cover and check. Well got a call from the centre saying there is nothing wrong and there is no oil in the Spark plug chamber.

He suggested what might have happened is during the 50K Kms servicing that happened in Feb, the tappet gasket was replaced. There would have been some residual oil left in the spark plug chamber which is what the CNG installer saw.

As of now there is no oil in the spark plug chamber, infact he said that the first place the oil shows in case of a leak in on the grooves of spark plug and currently there was no oil there.

So now i am totally confused. Is there a problem or not? I guess I will take it back to the CNG installer to validate.
Old 11th May 2011, 01:17   #7
Team-BHP Support

I think Sankar also was referring to the same, i misread your post and assumed that oil was inside the spark plug area/cylinder. ie its showing a wet spark plug tip. Then you need to worry.

If its just outside chamber it might just be some minor oil spill.
Old 11th May 2011, 10:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Get it rectified asap, earlier the better. Either a leaking valve seat or a bust ring can be the cause.
Jaggu, Loss in compression would be the result of a leaking valve seat.

Now if a oil seal on a valve stem had to go bad then there could be oil loss into a particular cylinder, just like bad oil control rings as you mention. If an oil stem leaks then oil accumulates and the white smoke is noticed only when starting after a period of time like say over night. But if rings were bad then white smoke will be belowing out of the exhaust constantly.
regards
deutscheafrikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 10:24   #9
Team-BHP Support

Yup that is what i meant also and wanted him to check Both at start up and also with higher revs. If its start up its a valve leak, continuous means rings.
Old 11th May 2011, 12:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

Jaggu,
I was trying to explain in a delicate way that valve seat leak (which is what you wrote) ends up with loss in compression.
Valve stem oilseal leak (which is what you meant)ends up with accumulated oil getting sucked into the cylinder.
Two different problems.
regards

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 11th May 2011 at 12:49.
deutscheafrikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 14:06   #11
BHPian

Well just to update, the service centre folks maintain that there is no problem anywhere and the seals and gaskets are all fine so not change was required.

The CNG kit installer maintains that there is a leak and I should drive around for a couple of weeks and take it again for a checkup at the service centre. He claims that since he cleaned out the oil when he put in the new spark plugs, the service centre did not find any oil in the spark plugs. That does not mean there is no leak.

So whom do I beleive. Is there any way to check for this leak without having to go to the service centre.
Old 18th April 2014, 22:58   #12
Senior - BHPian

Default Help! Oil in spark plug bay? Baleno BS IV

Petrolheads ahoy!

My BS IV Baleno was skipping its heartbeat today. So I got the plugs and coils changed. When we took off the plugs the 4th cylinder had a little fluid sprayed on the inside, like on the piston (?). After the plugs and coils were changed everything is back to normal. She runs like a charm.

I know if there's oil on the spark plug it's a simple gasket leak or something. But could the fluid on the inside be oil? Am I having piston ring problems? Because I sure hope not, it's run only 78k and has never been treated badly or modified.

I am thinking I'll give it a test tomorrow morning and see if there is white smoke. Could I be panicking for nothing or should I engage my mechanic to work on the rings before it is late? Please help me here.

Thank you.
rocksterraghu is offline   Reply With Quote