Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 9th May 2011, 02:14   #1

Default Engine Vibration - new chevy spark

Hi,

I bought new chevy spark LS at chennai yesterday[8 may 2011]. These two things makes me worry...

1. When i start the car, engine sound is more and I can feel the vibration of it when i sit in the car with just engine running (im not driving nor accelerating).

[I have a santro as well where as I felt the engine vibration only after 1 1/2 yrs that too very minimal]

2. Clutch is not powerful, when I press, it just goes inside and bangs at the bottom [asked the sales person who delivered, he says it is normal for all chevy spark]

Is this the case in all new chevy spark ? if not any suggestions on the problems.

Thanks folks !!!
danychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011, 11:55   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Engine Vibration - new chevy spark

- Spark vidrations are pretty less. In fact I find it hard to confirm with the vibrations if the engine is actually running.
- Clutch in Spark is pretty light and as you said it buttoms out with the least of effort. I found it pretty nice. In fact it feels like a work out on my Indica cluthc after riding Spark.
pvgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011, 12:02   #3
BHPian

I have test driven the Spark twice and on both occassions did not find any vibration related issues. Get your vehicle checked especially if you are saying you are feeling the vibrations.. Test drive another spark at the dealer to see if you are facing the same vibration issue. INfact if you stress enough they will allow you to start up another new spark thats waiting for delivery to compare vibrations.

Regarding the clutch GM vehicles generally have a soft clutch especially if you are using to driving a Hyundai vehicle which have slightly hard clutches. This should be ok and will need to getting used to.
jinu_joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011, 12:05   #4
BHPian

For the vibration issue, check if Engine Mount is fine. may need tweaking or replacement.
pkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011, 18:58   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hard to say how good or bad the vibrations are, without seeing the car. Tell you what : Go check out another Spark and gauge the level of vibration. If it's the same, well...it's not a problem with your new car.

And yes, enjoy the light clutch
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 08:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

There is a small vibration when the engine is idle this is normal, I also had this issue initially. The problem was sorted out in the first service. As other members have suggested clutch is very soft compared to Maruti and Hyundai cars (observed when driving them), this is not a problem. Other difference you may see is the gearshift which is again smooth.

Last edited by deehunk : 10th May 2011 at 08:08. Reason: typo error
deehunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 10:04   #7
BHPian

Hi,

I've been driving a Spark for more than a year now and I don't feel any vibration at all. Most of the times the engine is so silent that we crank it up again by mistake. So please take your car to the service centre and get a check done.

Regarding the clutch, it is super light in all of GM's vehicles. You need to get used to it.

Hope your problem is solved very soon.

Regards,
Anant.
anantu2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 11:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

Engine vibration! Please get it checked. According to me Spark engine is super silent comparing to others. Sometimes it is difficult to tell whether engine is running or not.

Regarding clutch - As others mentioned, enjoy!
Latheesh is offline   Reply With Quote