Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 5th April 2012, 17:40   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Smell of Petrol from the engine: Octavia VRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Really?
Do these cars have the charcoal canister? How many years/kilometers before it is damaged if regularly filled to the brim???
Was it only smell and no drop in FE?
ALL fuel injected car are supposed to be carrying the charcoal canister to avoid venting petrol fumes to atmosphere, as required by regulation. This also helps in FE as the fumes trapped by the charcoal canister is purged & fed back to the engine under acceleration.
1self is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2012, 17:54   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self View Post
ALL fuel injected car are supposed to be carrying the charcoal canister to avoid venting petrol fumes to atmosphere, as required by regulation. This also helps in FE as the fumes trapped by the charcoal canister is purged & fed back to the engine under acceleration.

Great.
Thanks.

So the charcoal canister seems to be able to sustain overfilling abuse for 5 years/75000KM at least - going by my experience?

And if overfilling were skipped on some occasions in between, would that help revive the canister?

Also, how about diesels? I have been overfilling my Tucson as well, for last 3 years!!! Tucson takes 15 liters of diesel after auto cut-off - consistently, every time.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 5th April 2012 at 17:55.
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2012, 18:12   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Great.
Thanks.

So the charcoal canister seems to be able to sustain overfilling abuse for 5 years/75000KM at least - going by my experience?

And if overfilling were skipped on some occasions in between, would that help revive the canister?

Also, how about diesels? I have been overfilling my Tucson as well, for last 3 years!!! Tucson takes 15 liters of diesel after auto cut-off - consistently, every time.
In the older vehicles, the charcoal canister could withstand a lot of abuse. The the newer vehicles, in line with stricter regulations, you will immediately get a 'Check Engine' light!

Diesels do not have any kind of charcoal canister as diesel - as a fuel - does not evaporate freely at ambient temperatures.
1self is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote