Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2011, 20:33   #31
BHPian
 
devsoftech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Santa Clara
Posts: 228
Thanked: 119 Times
Default Re: Sx4 Idle Problem

Problem was resolved - The mechanic used a 3M carburetter and choke spray and the car is young again. Even with the A/C on/off - no more fluctuations. He said the idling sensor had got "jammed". btw, if the car fails to start, you should try pulling out the oxygen sensor cable and drive to the closest mechanic.
devsoftech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2012, 15:05   #32
BHPian
 
ptaneja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: South Pole,Mars
Posts: 559
Thanked: 279 Times
Default Re: Sx4 Idle Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by devsoftech View Post
Problem was resolved - The mechanic used a 3M carburetter and choke spray and the car is young again. Even with the A/C on/off - no more fluctuations. He said the idling sensor had got "jammed". btw, if the car fails to start, you should try pulling out the oxygen sensor cable and drive to the closest mechanic.
What is this 3M Carburetter and Choke Spray ?
ptaneja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2012, 11:43   #33
BHPian
 
devsoftech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Santa Clara
Posts: 228
Thanked: 119 Times
Default Re: Sx4 Idle Problem

3M India: Choke and Carb Cleaner

Unique through-the-engine formula can be used while the car is running Can be used on cold, warm and running engines Oxygen sensor safe Low-odour, fast-drying, high-delivery rate with quick cleaning action Excellent solvency will attack painted surface (avoid spraying on painted area)
It was used on my system as the throttle body was clogged due to K&N filter's oil getting into the system.
devsoftech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2012, 15:14   #34
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,270
Thanked: 1,235 Times
Default Re: Sx4 Idle Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by devsoftech View Post
3M India: Choke and Carb Cleaner

Unique through-the-engine formula can be used while the car is running Can be used on cold, warm and running engines Oxygen sensor safe Low-odour, fast-drying, high-delivery rate with quick cleaning action Excellent solvency will attack painted surface (avoid spraying on painted area)
It was used on my system as the throttle body was clogged due to K&N filter's oil getting into the system.
Interesting product, thanks for posting. But how does one apply it? Do we need to open the throttle body and then spray this while the engine is running? Is there any other way? How much did it cost?
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2012, 20:24   #35
BHPian
 
devsoftech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Santa Clara
Posts: 228
Thanked: 119 Times
Default Re: Sx4 Idle Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Interesting product, thanks for posting. But how does one apply it? Do we need to open the throttle body and then spray this while the engine is running? Is there any other way? How much did it cost?
The air intake feeder hose was removed (That connects to throttle body) and when the engine was idling, and 2 sprays were applied directly on the air intake section that goes into throttle body.
This spray should never be applied on any rubber part as it is very corrosive.

There's an alternate cheaper product by Abro (TM) retailing at 260 bucks. I have no idea of pricing by 3M's. If I get lucky, I will photograph the application area and definitely enquire the product's cost
devsoftech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2012, 20:32   #36
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,270
Thanked: 1,235 Times
Default Re: Sx4 Idle Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by devsoftech View Post
The air intake feeder hose was removed (That connects to throttle body) and when the engine was idling, and 2 sprays were applied directly on the air intake section that goes into throttle body.
This spray should never be applied on any rubber part as it is very corrosive.

There's an alternate cheaper product by Abro (TM) retailing at 260 bucks. I have no idea of pricing by 3M's. If I get lucky, I will photograph the application area and definitely enquire the product's cost
Thanks for the information. Please do get back on the cost. I think I'll give it a shot for my Fiesta, as it is completing 5 years in March. I did have some instances where the engine/ drive train warning light would come on during cold starts, but that seems to have vanished now. Experts on this forum said that throttle body cleaning was the remedy.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2012, 22:01   #37
BHPian
 
ptaneja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: South Pole,Mars
Posts: 559
Thanked: 279 Times
Default Re: Sx4 Idle Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Thanks for the information. Please do get back on the cost. I think I'll give it a shot for my Fiesta, as it is completing 5 years in March. I did have some instances where the engine/ drive train warning light would come on during cold starts, but that seems to have vanished now. Experts on this forum said that throttle body cleaning was the remedy.
Yup, engine light is for either throttle body or if you have CNG installed or if you have a faulty O2 sensor - but frankly I have never seen an O2 sensor going bad.
ptaneja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2012, 22:37   #38
BHPian
 
Born2Slow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bnagalore/Cochin
Posts: 86
Thanked: 42 Times
Default Re: Sx4 Idle Problem

Throttle body cleaning seems to be the best solution. But leaving the car in idle without AC and any other load for 10-15 mins did the trick for me recently when I had almost given up and was about to take the car to the A.S.S. As usual it started after I had disconnected the battery for a while.
Born2Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2012, 18:40   #39
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,270
Thanked: 1,235 Times
Default Re: Sx4 Idle Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Slow View Post
Throttle body cleaning seems to be the best solution. But leaving the car in idle without AC and any other load for 10-15 mins did the trick for me recently when I had almost given up and was about to take the car to the A.S.S. As usual it started after I had disconnected the battery for a while.
In case you are referring to my problem (and not the one you started the thread for), I simply used to switch off the engine in a few seconds and re-start. The engine/ drive train warning never came on during second start.

It surfaced only in December, during early morning cold starts, when the outside temperature was around 20 degrees. The issue stopped on its own from this week. I'm not sure if the increase in temperature in the weather caused this to dis-appear, but I will give 3M a shot certainly.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2012, 20:26   #40
BHPian
 
Amey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 679
Thanked: 189 Times
Default Re: Sx4 Idle Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by devsoftech View Post
btw, if the car fails to start, you should try pulling out the oxygen sensor cable and drive to the closest mechanic.
And how will that happen ?
Amey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2012, 21:07   #41
BHPian
 
devsoftech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Santa Clara
Posts: 228
Thanked: 119 Times
Default Re: Sx4 Idle Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey View Post
And how will that happen ?
The ECU chooses fail safe values when O2 sensor is not responding. However, this is not a limp home mode, as OBD diagnostics does not register this as a failure and you can still drive. I was also surprised to see that there were no repercussions on detaching the O2 sensor cables, and idling was balancing out and not stalling.
devsoftech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2012, 16:44   #42
BHPian
 
devsoftech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Santa Clara
Posts: 228
Thanked: 119 Times
Default Re: Sx4 Idle Problem

Sx4 Idle Problem-throttlebody.jpg



(Video demonstrating removal of O2 sensor wiring and cranking up. Also shows that ECU lights go off, so its not a limp mode. Sorry about the bad picture quality of video. Still learning the basics
devsoftech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 21:01   #43
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 119
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Re: Sx4 Idle Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshkishore View Post

Disconnect Negative Terminal for some time
Reconnect the terminal.
Switch on the ignition, do not crank the engine. Leave it for a minute. You can hear a motor work intermittently within the engine room (upon keen observation) i guess it is the throttle actuator.
Crank the engine and voila its done.
One fine day, after 5 years and a bit of ownership, after 65k kms of running, the sx4 would not start. The battery seems to be completely dead. Ordered new battery from batterybhai.com (Amaron AAM-PR-00050B20R). They came over and installed within 2 hours, even though it was a Sunday.

After that, I faced the low idle and stalling problem. Came across this thread and I followed the procedure given above. The idle problem seems to have been resolved (not seen from past one month). The engine seems to idle at around 700 rpm now.

The 70k service is coming up shortly. Anything specifically I should get checked, particularly with respect to this idle rpm problem ?
sreenidhibr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013, 11:27   #44
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sudev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,511
Thanked: 2,385 Times
Default Re: Sx4 Idle Problem

If the problem surfaced only after battery change and git resolved then no need for anything else really.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2014, 16:18   #45
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 197
Thanked: 53 Times
Default Re: Sx4 Idle Problem

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I am facing a very similar problem in my new gen i20 1.2 VVT petrol. Have been noticing this since the last 2-3 weeks, ever since the winters retreated and the AC has been brought back into use.

Have noticed this while the car is in idle (traffic lights etc.) only when the AC is ON. The rpm keeps dropping and then bounces back up. The engine never stalls though even though the rpm falls.

The car is fairly new (a little more than an year old), run around 9500kms, and no electrical or any other work had been carried out on it in the recent past. Others who reported the problem mentioned dirty injectors, ECU errors etc. What could this be?
Sinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problem: High Idle RPM burnout_boy Technical Stuff 8 20th May 2016 16:19
Problem: Ford Ikon vibrating (almost shaking) when Idle. Eddy Technical Stuff 34 1st August 2011 13:26
Idle problem in Yamaha Gladiator Hashim Motorbikes 9 15th June 2010 15:59
Puzzling (and expensive) problem with Idle Speed ISA in Santro silverbyte Technical Stuff 0 15th July 2009 18:28
Suzuki SX4 or NHC type 1 second hand EDIT: SX4 now booked - EDIT 1 -Swift VDi booked GeekSrik Hatchbacks 126 24th June 2007 12:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:49.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks