Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 20th May 2011, 17:19   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Which is better - A car which has driven 1 lac kms in 4 years or 35,000 in 6 year

I would definitely go by the number of Kms rather than the number of years. While what Lucifer says holds some weight, the optimal temperature of most cars come up in about 2 Kms (purely from personal experience) of running which makes the long run point rather redundant. That being said, the maintenance practices which the car has been subjected to is also very important.
neel385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 21:56   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Which is better - A car which has driven 1 lac kms in 4 years or 35,000 in 6 year

I would pick the older car with lower odo reading, but with a bit of a careful evaluation - here is my logic:
1. The most probably maintenance will come from the suspension and the clutch, not the engine - it will more often than not outlive all other components.
2. Depreciation! I will get the car for a much lower price because the primary factor that affects resale price is the year of manufacture / purchase, ODO reading plays only a minor part.

The Evaluation bit - I will look carefully, among other things, for rust and damage to the frame.
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 00:32   #18
BHPian

I would go for the car that has done less kms. 35000 kms is nothing for the kind of engines that are built today provided the car is not roughly used.
msupercool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 14:47   #19
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Exclamation Re: Which is better - A car which has driven 1 lac kms in 4 years or 35,000 in 6 year

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Lastly, as a golden rule, I wouldn't buy a used car with over 75,000 kms on the odo. Sure, if it's my own car with 75K on the clock, I don't have a problem using it till 2.0 lakh kms. But buying someone elses 75,000 kms, of which I have no idea (how it was run, maintained etc.) is a big no-no.
As a thumb rule, i never have brought a 2nd owner car which has more than 35K on the ODO and touchwood, all such cars did great ! So always buy cars which have GENUINE low ODO readings. For example, im after a Sonata 2003 which has genuinely done 24000 KM . The car travels about 10 KM A day at the most. So although its 8 years old, would still be good for its low ODO Reading.
delhi2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 14:41   #20
Senior - BHPian

I have never bought a second hand car. However, looking at some of the deals in the market, I am seriously considering my next purchase to be a second hand one.

What I would look for is a combo of miles clocked and age. I would target cars that are between 1 - 3 years (max 4) old and have an annual run of something like 12 - 15k kms. Too low a usage and the vehichle may have dried up. Too high, simply walk away. Of course other factors such as condition of the car (body, mechanicals, upholstry etc), service history et all are a given.

Another valid point brought up by GTO is regarding the type of usage (city / highway) which would further help determine the long term implications of buying the vehichle.
Urban_Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 17:42   #21
BHPian

The cars that I have owned until now have been bought new and served my transport needs for a period of five years before I let go of them.(This was before I joined Team-bhp!)
Now, knowing that an engine could easily last for 200,000 kms and looking at the attractive pricing available for used cars , it makes a lot of financial sense to go in for a used vehicle..
I would think that the mileage the vehicle has done (rather than the age of the vehicle) coupled together with the service records available for the vehicle would be what I would look at when deciding to buy a used vehicle.
Regards
Ashok
ashphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 21:37   #22
Senior - BHPian

I would say that it purely depends on the buyer.

if you choose the car which has run around 50k kms in 3-4 years ,there are chances that it was driven recklessly or fully driven in highway so bodyline might be good.

Another thought - mechanical can be fixed right in a day or two or just replace the engine but tinkering and painting are big headaches so i would buy a car with better body
joshguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 22:22   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Another thought - mechanical can be fixed right in a day or two or just replace the engine but tinkering and painting are big headaches so i would buy a car with better body
Its not only about the engine, there are umpteen other parts in a car, and its believe me, its damn difficult to clear the niggles, if there are many.

In a paint job, atleast you can see where the dent is, but mechanically, most times, only experts can diagnose.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 23:29   #24
BHPian

I would go with the car with less KMS clocked.
A friend of mine has a Alto he bought 2.5 years back which has clocked just 8,000 KMS, and still looks brand new VS my old car which had clocked 35K in under 2 years. I had to get the battery, tyres and brakes changed.
The more the usage the more wear and tear on car parts.
Pri2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2011, 19:33   #25
BHPian

Interesting discussion. I normally would prefer a car with less ODO reading and also the age of the car shouldn't be more than 4 years because i would intend to use it for 3-4 years

However after reading this thread i'm also getting another idea in my mind, getting a suspension repaired and doing a complete engine overhaul isnt that expensive if your getting a second hand car at a very cheap rate.

If minor body repairs, engine overhaul and suspension is done, the car would just become awesome to do duty for another 4-5 years (especially the maruti cars)
Nash24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2011, 20:12   #26
BANNED

Very tricky subject.

1) I picked up a 1967 VW Beetle with 66K kms on the ODO,(Thats a different story altogether)

2) Picked up a 1971 VW Bus with 32k kms on the ODO, It feels so FRESH to drive it now.

3) Picked up a 1967 VW Variant with 89k miles on the ODO, It feels OLD.

4) Picked up a 1997 M-800 with 32K on the ODO, it has lasted 2.40 lac kms till date and will last longer. Here the previous ownership had been great.

5) Picked up a 2001 Matiz with 9k on the ODO in 2006, Its Still as good as a BRAND NEW SHOWROOM PIECE.

Every car will have its own share of Goods and Bads.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 01:23   #27
BHPian

It is simple, both the theories work, but for different requirements.
In your case, you cover a lot of miles, so for you a older car with lesser mileage works well, do not think about resale value, in any case you buy the car for less since it is old, may be you pay a little more if you get a good low mileage single owner car with full service history, take my word it goes a long way by just paying a little more. If you buy a 3yr old which has done 15 K kms, and if you do 25K kms/yr and if you have it for 2yrs, it will be 65K kms on the odo for a 5yr old car, which is normal and you get a normal resale on it too.

Now for a person who would not do as much mileage, it is better to get a newer model even if it has done more kms, since the mileage covered in this case will be low and when the car is sold the resale value will be just as normal. I come in this category and I bought a 2005 Corolla which had done 84K, but since I do not do more than 9000 KMS/yr it is OK (a toyota with 2lakhs on the odo is still OK), so when I sell it after about 2 yrs it will have done 1lakh on the odo, which is OK for a 9 yr old car.
zulfi hansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 09:13   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hi, friends I dont know about others but I was fleeced by an old man in seventies.
This oldie was staying at DADAR hindu colony and he gave an advertisement in newspaper about his 8OO 5 speed, 2002 model, this was inthe year 2008.
Ad said Maruti 800 5 speed 2002 model, done only 10678 kms.
I was surprised at this and went to his place to see the car, it was second owner * 1st owner being Mahindra & Mahindra at worli,second owner someone else and not this old man.
He said it belongs to my freind and he asked me to sell on his behalf.

This old man had a large flat, a grown up son and a wife, I thought to myself how can such a person be a cheater.

I brought the car and later on all problems started ,which started with Battcery, then suspention, MPFI throttle body service,Axle bearings, wheel bearings, brake pads, etc there wasno end to it.All because it had been used not frequntly.

Then one day water started leaking from front windshield I went to our PATRA WALA he said saab yeh toh accident wala gaadi hai, pillars ,doors are very cleverly repaired , now I lost my cool I called that oldie 's home with all abuses ready to shower on him , but I got reply from his wife that Mr. Seth died 9 days ago. He is NO MORE.
I made my mind and sold my 800 in next 7 days time for good........
Lesson learnt Never go by sweet talks, think that a senior citizen cannot fleece you.. Regards.
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 09:44   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

I will prefer the 100,00km car any day. The owner uses it a lot, must have maintained it well, and it will be cheaper as well.

The 36,000km job may be an excellent buy provided it has been properly maintained, and the service history must be available. In coastal areas the rust issue has to be taken into account.
sgiitk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 17:08   #30
BHPian

The car with less KM on the odo would be an obvious choice for most people. Reasons as described above such as lower wear/tear and hence less abuse and potentially longer engine life assuming the car was maintained periodically.

I have faced this issue on couple of instances while trying to dispose off my previous vehicles through agents. My average usage is around 6-8K/yr which means after 5 yrs, the car would hit the 30-40K km mark. As a seller, I would expect a better resale value but the fact that the car is 5 yrs old would offset some of that advantage. Going through middle men (agents) further accentuates this problem who always give more weight-age to the "year of manufacture" over the odo reading. This might be a bit but follows the same thought process one faces while buying or selling a car.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 30th May 2011 at 17:14.
fuel_addict is offline   Reply With Quote