Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 19th November 2015, 13:10   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: VW Polo--Engine Revving,No pickup after coming out of Traffic Jam

Sounds like a slipping clutch to me.

If it is still capable of moving short distances, you could bring it out of your car park, have it loaded.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2015, 13:20   #32
BHPian

If I were you, I'd do the following:

First I'd check the MID / speedo area for any warning lights. Next, I'd see if I drove in water logged roads previous evening/night and had parked the car overnight with the handbrake ON. This would be a pretty common thing - stuck brake-pads on applying handbrake after driving through water logged areas. You may have released the handbrake but the pads would still be holding on to the discs (don't know the technical terms here though). To identify this as the cause, release the handbrake, put your car in Netural on a flat surface (am assuming your office basement parking should be a good flat place to try this) and push the car gently. It should move - if not - jammed brakes are the cause. If its moving freely, then go to the next step.

If the engine is free revving (in neutral rev till 5-6K RPM assuming its petrol engine), then it could be something with the tranny, or clutch not engaging correctly. Do you get any horrible burnt smell / white smoke while you are revving hard in gear and yet, moving so slow? If so, get the clutch plates/assembly checked.

If you have an OBD adapter handy (am sure one of our buddy BHPians can spare one for 5 mins - assuming they stay near EcoSpace) run a quick test to make sure there is no alert/flag in the status messages.

Beyond this, I'd have to call a local mechanic or VW Tow service.
vsathyap is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2015, 13:23   #33
BHPian

Disconnect the battery and reconnect it after 1hr, if the problem persists, probably you can check the clutch
::CMS:: is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2015, 14:12   #34
BHPian

Thanks Every1 Few Points to add:
1)I had been getting a strange rattling feedback via my clutch over the past few days for sure.Points to a clutch problem as mentioned by FMs here,but just wanted to be sure as the VW vultures will straightaway suggest replacing the entire thing if I go unprepped as per my past experience with them.
2)Handbrake--I park my car overnight with the handbrake on at my apartment,is it something I should not be doing?
3)No warning lights on the cluster at all.

Might be veering offtopic due to frustration ,but Driving through these stupid jams day after day with speeds not topping out beyond 5-10 kmph ,could that be a reason for this damage?
Ecospace as bangalore FMs will no has Traffic Jams inside its campus itself, that stretch for hours,some days I am on an uphill ramp for 15-20 minutes just to exit the parking.Distances as 400 m from my office to ecospace exit take 2 hours somedays.
AppyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2015, 15:17   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppyS View Post
........some days I am on an uphill ramp for 15-20 minutes just to exit the parking.........
Not saying you've done it or it has anything to do with your current issue, but I hope you use the (hand)brakes and not the clutch to stay stationary on such inclines? Sure-shot clutch burner and I see plenty of people doing it everyday at inclines everywhere with gay abandon.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2015, 15:41   #36
BHPian

Thanks everyone.Its rolling free in neutral no pickup yet so called a tow service.I will be damned if they ask me to replace the clutch or transmission as parts are hell as expensive,just for dents and scratches tinker/paint jobs over the past two years they have made me bleed through the nose so far close to a lac rupees over 3-4 visits ,till I stopped bothering:( Will keep you posted on the diagnosis,hoping it helps someone else
Old 19th November 2015, 16:16   #37
BHPian

Sounds like a clutch issue AppyS, as you mentioned that the engine keeps on revving. Do keep us posted with the outcome
KomS_CarLog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2015, 16:50   #38
BHPian

Its the clutch but it should be covered under warranty. German car parts are very expensive !!
sriram.raghavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2015, 17:59   #39
BHPian

It seems to be the clutch per the S.A.Not covered under warranty. The towing guy ended up breaking the inner mudflap lining and gifted an additional scratch as well.S.A agreed to replace the flap lining as towing service was recommended by him.Had to push the car up the ramp in the basement as the towing guy seemed intent on burning out whatever remained of the clutch by flooring the gas pedal.Waiting for the damage estimate.
Old 19th November 2015, 20:43   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppyS View Post
It seems to be the clutch per the S.A.Not covered under warranty. The towing guy ended up breaking the inner mudflap lining and gifted an additional scratch as well.S.A agreed to replace the flap lining as towing service was recommended by him.Had to push the car up the ramp in the basement as the towing guy seemed intent on burning out whatever remained of the clutch by flooring the gas pedal.Waiting for the damage estimate.
Would like to know the reason behind the clutch issue once the SA figures it out. 6K kms is very premature for a clutch issue.

I've noticed on the 1.2 petrol Polo, there needs to be a bit of clutch slipping needed to get it moving especially when on a slope which happens naturally since there is a lag in the rev's building when accelerating.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2015, 21:45   #41
BHPian

Well he said that the half clutch driving in bumper to bumper traffic could be a reason, I am sure guilty of that as i just don't drive, I wade through traffic day in and day out. At the risk of sounding ignorant,couple years ago, the driving instructor hell as much as spent one hour teaching the use of half clutch to move forward in traffic, without telling it bites the clutch so bad.As for slopes, Its my first car, and sometimes on slopes I've been scared out of my life when 1st gear didn't have power enough to push the car up and I had to jump between brake, clutch and gas, till I learnt the hand brake trick.
All that concerns me is that why was the clutch pedal giving so much feedback/rattle over the post few days, was it a warning sign. It was just one of the few I started getting after not having used the car for about a month being abroad. Another being a weird creaking noise from the front disc brakes while the tyres rotated. It was the first run and gradually went away on its own, but then the clutch started rattling and it all ended on a tow today. I hope the brake doesn't bite me back next.
AppyS is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2015, 22:18   #42
Senior - BHPian

Arrow Re: VW Polo--Engine Revving,No pickup after coming out of Traffic Jam

Looks like the GB issue. Pressure plate and the first couple of clutch plates would have burnt-off. Should not cost more than 10k including labor, if not covered under warranty.

Push for the warranty replacement - Your mileage is too low for the clutch to wear-out. But if you even mention about your daily hectic routine to the ASC, it will be convenient for them to decline warranty.

After this, please concentrate / learn on how you drive on ramps, that too in B2B traffic.

All the best. Please update.

Edit: Check out this link: http://www.mycarhelpline.com/index.p...=511&Itemid=10

Last edited by Chethan B G : 19th November 2015 at 22:24.
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2015, 22:28   #43
BHPian

Thanks Sir,he threw a rough 12k at me and clearly said wear n tear is not under warranty
:(
Old 20th November 2015, 19:14   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
All the best. Please update.
Update : The SA kept me on the tenterhooks till 5PM talking about some diagnosis going on, that was going on since 11AM and finally repeated the same clutch issue as the culprit in the evening. Meanwhile the thread merging over to the non fixable Figo frayed my nerves a bit more. I hope the OP's figo got repaired.
As of eod, the Volkswagen SA promised delivery for tomorrow with an estimated charge of 14k including taxes. I have asked him to keep the original clutch aside so that I can see if it were actually that badly damaged.
Old 21st November 2015, 13:05   #45
BHPian

Default re: Engine problem: RPM & Speed limited

I really despise being a VW owner every time the car goes in for service, it just can't come back without a bill of 20000. Yesterday the "DIAGNOSIS" was just the clutch and now it's the flywheel burnt as well. Never got a burnt smell, towed the car with some stupid VW recommended towing people and the woes continue. Additional 6k go in, and the woes continue with a petrol car that makes more noise than a diesel car.