Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2010, 20:33   #1591
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,463
Thanked: 4,430 Times
Default

Last evening it was rainy here and while parking the SUV at home, I noticed water vapour condensed on the inside of the front left headlight, seal beam.The right seal beam was quite OK and clear.

Fellow teambhpians immediately told me to check up the headlight for any crack.

I had clicked the pictures yesterday at dusk.Today morning, while carefully seeing the headlight,I found a hairline crack on its upper part- now marked the crack within the ellipsoid and between the two parallel lines.
There was however no impact or hit of any kind anywhere.Even my parking is secure in the garage at home. At office the SUV is parked in a safe parking place too!
Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-crack-viewed.jpg
Any idea as to what could have been the cause? I am also checking up with the dealer for a replacement.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 21:14   #1592
BHPian
 
CasperRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 88
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Nothing surprising that the beast tends to behave in front of the the manufacturer and their associates, unfortunately the buyers never seem to get a hang at taming it to 100 % satisfaction.

I got another issue today, the AC refuses to throw air anywhere except the windshield (demister) probably the Scorpio thinks that it needs to be at that position only since it has been demisting the glass for the past 1 month due to incessant rains in Mumbai, one sunny day today and it refuses to cool me.
It not only has self healing techniques, but also has self learning capabilities!
For my oil pressure warning, the VMS yelled at me twice yesterday and today morning. However when the service guy came to pick it up, it is quiet, doesnít want to speak up!

@anjan_c2007: The moisture in the lamps are a common thing in Scoprs. Both of my fog laps were replaced for the same reason and I suspect they havenít sealed it well
CasperRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2010, 15:38   #1593
BHPian
 
prithvi_seln's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CHENNAI
Posts: 72
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

I have a unique problem and the *** guys dont have an answer to the issue
The issue is
I use Child Seats of Mothercare (made in UK) make in my car,
1. Scorpio 2006 CRDe 7 seater - the seat fitted with the seatbelts with little difficulty
2. i10 - it fits very comfortably
3. Scorpio refresh 8 seater - i am not able to fit the seats with the seat belt provided since the length is too short in the 2nd row seats and these seats fit good only in the 3rd row
I spoke to *** guy in chennai india garage and took the car there and explained to them the issue and we tried fitting it in the new model 7 seater and we were able to do it with little difficulty.

Whom should i contact in M&M to solve the issue or are their any other solutions
prithvi_seln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2010, 15:52   #1594
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,544
Thanked: 10,431 Times
Default

@prithvi: Try a seat belt extender. Take a look at this:
Auto Seat Belt Extender - Universal Fit
and
gtseatbeltextender - Ergonomic Seat Belt Extender! As Seen On TV! Transform normal vehicles Seatbelt systems to a more sofisticated THREE POINTS system like the ones used on racing cars. For far the Ergonomic SeatBelt Extender is the best solution on. Easy to fabricate something similar too.

BTW, can the 2nd row seats in a Scorpio 8-seater be pushed back? If yes, try again after pushing the seat back all the way.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2010, 19:02   #1595
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,463
Thanked: 4,430 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Last evening it was rainy here and while parking the SUV at home, I noticed water vapour condensed on the inside of the front left headlight, seal beam.The right seal beam was quite OK and clear.

Fellow teambhpians immediately told me to check up the headlight for any crack.

I had clicked the pictures yesterday at dusk.Today morning, while carefully seeing the headlight,I found a hairline crack on its upper part- now marked the crack within the ellipsoid and between the two parallel lines.
There was however no impact or hit of any kind anywhere.Even my parking is secure in the garage at home. At office the SUV is parked in a safe parking place too!
Any idea as to what could have been the cause? I am also checking up with the dealer for a replacement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperRider View Post
@anjan_c2007: The moisture in the lamps are a common thing in Scoprs. Both of my fog laps were replaced for the same reason and I suspect they haven’t sealed it well
CasperRider agree with what you have said.Again today I inspected the headlamp of my Brute SUV.Thats a designers devil and looks like a hairline crack.On viewing the right hand headlamp, a similar hairline design is seen exactly similar in its outline to the one on the left.
Attachment 417346
Attachment 416796
The moisture has come in through some other source for sure.The only place for that to come inside is from the bulb holder-sealbeam gap I believe.
As you say your fog lamps gave a similar problem and you had to replace them.
The maker of these lamps is Lumax and I am sure Lumax makes lamps for many other brands.So the problem may not be Scorpio specific.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 2nd September 2010 at 19:07.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2010, 19:11   #1596
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,544
Thanked: 10,431 Times
Default

@Anjan: Did you get your car serviced recently? Perhaps the high-pressure water jet used to clean the engine bay was inadvertently directed at the back of the headlight reflector?
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2010, 19:24   #1597
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,463
Thanked: 4,430 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
@Anjan: Did you get your car serviced recently? Perhaps the high-pressure water jet used to clean the engine bay was inadvertently directed at the back of the headlight reflector?
No, servicing was last done in May 2010.But recently only last week, in the rainy weather, I drove through more than knee deep water logged roads.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2010, 23:28   #1598
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,544
Thanked: 10,431 Times
Default

Check if:
1. The rubber splash deflector flap separating the engine bay from the suspension is properly clipped into place or not - it's mounted with 4-5 plastic tab retainers.
2. Look for water having collected behind the rubber seal at the base of the HL bulb.

OT: Wow, knee-deep water... Where was this? I thought waterlogging in CCU was a bad dream of the times I used to live there nearly 20 years ago?! I've not been there during the rains for many years, but I understand the places I remember having waist-deep water every year, have zero waterlogging nowadays...
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2010, 08:58   #1599
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,758
Thanked: 1,521 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
No, servicing was last done in May 2010.But recently only last week, in the rainy weather, I drove through more than knee deep water logged roads.
Not with the headlamps,but this happened to my Fog lights,in July,when we drove through water,and there is moisture in there till now
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2010, 09:19   #1600
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,758
Thanked: 1,521 Times
Default

How many Litres of engine oil does a Mhawk Gulp??
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2010, 09:54   #1601
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,026
Thanked: 371 Times
Default

@anjan : Behind the headlamp assembly do you see a small rubber tube bent downwards ? Make sure that this tube is open.

My theory on this is that usually the headlight assembly is never perfectly sealed becuase as we know air inside will expand due to heat of headlight and there has to be mechanism to let out this expanding air.
The small tube behind is meant to be escape mechanism and it is shaped such that water drops do not enter the HL.

When the headlight cools it will again suck in some amount of atmospheric air and if humidity is very high it will condense to water vapor.

Just open the lid of head lamp ( from where the bulb is inserted) and leave it in sun for 30 mts.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2010, 10:50   #1602
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,544
Thanked: 10,431 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
How many Litres of engine oil does a Mhawk Gulp??
All of six litres! CH4 grade or better.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2010, 14:02   #1603
BHPian
 
prithvi_seln's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CHENNAI
Posts: 72
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
@prithvi: Try a seat belt extender. Take a look at this:
Auto Seat Belt Extender - Universal Fit
and
gtseatbeltextender - Ergonomic Seat Belt Extender! As Seen On TV! Transform normal vehicles Seatbelt systems to a more sofisticated THREE POINTS system like the ones used on racing cars. For far the Ergonomic SeatBelt Extender is the best solution on. Easy to fabricate something similar too.

BTW, can the 2nd row seats in a Scorpio 8-seater be pushed back? If yes, try again after pushing the seat back all the way.
i tried the push back but still not working, where can i get the extenders in india
prithvi_seln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2010, 15:42   #1604
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,544
Thanked: 10,431 Times
Default

@prithvi: There's something listed here, but the link says the article has been removed. Global Easy Buy=

You can talk to a manufacturer like Car Seat Belt Manufacturers,Car Seat Belt Suppliers,Auto Seat Belt Manufacturers,Auto Seat Belt Suppliers

or a dealer in Chennai who should be able to fabricate one for you very easily once you show him the pics from the previous link: Choice Seat Zone, Royapettah, Chennai on Askme
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2010, 19:16   #1605
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,463
Thanked: 4,430 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Check if:
1. The rubber splash deflector flap separating the engine bay from the suspension is properly clipped into place or not - it's mounted with 4-5 plastic tab retainers.
2. Look for water having collected behind the rubber seal at the base of the HL bulb.

OT: Wow, knee-deep water... Where was this? I thought waterlogging in CCU was a bad dream of the times I used to live there nearly 20 years ago?! I've not been there during the rains for many years, but I understand the places I remember having waist-deep water every year, have zero waterlogging nowadays...
SS-Traveller thanks. The rubber splash deflector flap is clipped normally.
I will check for water near the rubber seal at the base of the HL bulb.
This was in Nagpur. After heavy showers there is water logging on many road stretches for a few hours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Not with the headlamps,but this happened to my Fog lights,in July,when we drove through water,and there is moisture in there till now
akshay4587 need to detach the bulb for some hours, to allow some warm air inside for drying. Or else, the metal reflectors get rusted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
@anjan : Behind the headlamp assembly do you see a small rubber tube bent downwards ? Make sure that this tube is open.

My theory on this is that usually the headlight assembly is never perfectly sealed becuase as we know air inside will expand due to heat of headlight and there has to be mechanism to let out this expanding air.
The small tube behind is meant to be escape mechanism and it is shaped such that water drops do not enter the HL.

When the headlight cools it will again suck in some amount of atmospheric air and if humidity is very high it will condense to water vapor.

Just open the lid of head lamp ( from where the bulb is inserted) and leave it in sun for 30 mts.
Thanks amitk26 will try the therapy this weekend.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions Rajith Technical Stuff 422 13th July 2017 19:16
Accent / Viva CRDi: Issues & Solutions manishk83 Technical Stuff 61 13th April 2015 14:00
Child safety issues and Solutions sreenidhibr Street Experiences 55 29th April 2013 18:18


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:19.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks