Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2010, 15:08   #1636
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,065
Thanked: 1,989 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
5. Fuel mileage has decreased, I'm getting about 7.5 km per litre in the city. Could it be because of slow moving traffic due to all the roads that have been dug up on my regular route?
7.5 is too low. my Mhawk gives me minimum 8.5 in bumper to bumper traffic.

Quote:
7. Occasional water drops near the clutch pedal sometimes. Only he=appens whan A/c is on.
happens in my car too, very rarely though.

Quote:
8. I've been advised that rear suspension is making some noise. The bushes may have to be replaced.
Again, has been changed in my car too, at 25k.

Quote:
9. Moisture in rear tail lamp. Is this covered in the warranty?
again, even my car's right tail lamp has little moisture, i plan to leave it alone.

Quote:
11. Other general stuff like seat noise, a bit of vibrations etc.
LOL, even my car's rear seat has been making some noise. maybe its after the abuse it went through in the monsoons, the potholes & my spirited driving is to be blamed.

Quote:
I've also been given a quote to get extended warranty since my warranty expires on the 29th of this month. What do you guys think should I opt for it? It's Rs.13k for 2 years and Rs. 8k for 1 year.
finally, even i was given the same quote. i refused since i feel 13k is too much for 2 years.

Quote:
The advisor told me that bushes and rubber parts are not covered under warranty and I'll have to pay for them. Is this correct?
thats true. since it comes under wear & tear parts.

Quote:
Finally if you have read through this entire long post, a very big thank you guys!
If its anything about the scorpio, WE WILL READ! so, no mention!
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 15:15   #1637
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,588
Thanked: 256 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
I've also been given a quote to get extended warranty since my warranty expires on the 29th of this month. What do you guys think should I opt for it? It's Rs.13k for 2 years and Rs. 8k for 1 year.
Wolfheart, I would go with the 2 year extended warranty. 13k is peanuts compared to the peace of mind that you'll get. Take a look at the post just before yours and you'll see what I mean -
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamtheLeo View Post
My scorpio has moved out of extended warranty on 3rd Aug 2010. So the only option as per MASS is to replace ECU which is costing upwards of 45K.

Last edited by suman : 16th September 2010 at 15:17.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 15:51   #1638
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 446
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

I agree with Suman, when i took extended warranty it was for 9999 & i never had to worry about anything till Aug 2010 when it completed 4 years & just after it i am in a big dilemma what to do. Go for it.
Hope some one will be able to answer my issues.
SamtheLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 16:21   #1639
BHPian
 
Wolfheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bombay
Posts: 160
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

@Raj

Did the ride quality improve after replacing the bushes?

@Suman and Sam

I think that I'll go for the warranty. I recently got the A/C fixed under warranty which would otherwise have cost Rs. 8k.
Wolfheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 16:30   #1640
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,588
Thanked: 256 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamtheLeo View Post
3. Does ECU cost 45k + & is there any where else to source it except from MASS ( i was told probably Kashmiri Gate)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamtheLeo View Post
Hope some one will be able to answer my issues.
Sam, I'm not an expert on Scorpios but I do know that one of the biggest suppliers of M&M & TML have their outlet in Old Gurgaon - Sagar Motors. It may be worthwhile checking price & availability with them. They are located in Sohna Chowk (or should that be Sona?). From the expressway, going towards Manesar, you turn right at Rajiv Chowk. I have PM-ed you the contact name & number.

Last edited by suman : 16th September 2010 at 16:33.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 17:41   #1641
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,026
Thanked: 369 Times
Default

I don't know much about scorpios but my views on few points common to all vehicles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
2. Engine oil and filter replacement - Though it's not routine for the 25k km service the advisor recommended that I get the oil and filter changed. the reason given was that it's been 9 months since the last oil change.
Not a valid enough reason to change , What the user manual says about max interval ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
3. Speedometer and odometer have stooped working since last week. They'll try to fix it but they may even have to replace it. If they replace it
then the reading will start from Zero. I've clocked in 26,000 kms so far.
but silver lining is you can get higher resale value 2 years later :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post

4. Some voice prompts are not functioning since last week. The seatbelt, handbrake and door open warnings are not functioning. However the car is in reserve fuel and the welcome to your scorpio voice prompts are working.
Should be loose / rusted connections or conked off sensors. They should replace them under warranty as it is not consumable or normal wear and tear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post

7. Occasional water drops near the clutch pedal sometimes. Only he=appens whan A/c is on.
Well see under the dashboard if there is any exposed AC pipe , If yes cover it with carpeting matarial. If humidity is high water condenses on AC metal pipes. Only a DIY can fix this kind of issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post

9. Moisture in rear tail lamp. Is this covered in the warranty?
DIY Take the bulb out and leave the vehicle in sun for 30 mts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post

10. Gears slip into neutral sometimes while moving out of parking. This happens with a big jerk as soon as the clutch is released.
11. Other general stuff like seat noise, a bit of vibrations etc.


I've also been given a quote to get extended warranty since my warranty expires on the 29th of this month. What do you guys think should I opt for it? It's Rs.13k for 2 years and Rs. 8k for 1 year.
Since the post tells you already have quite lots of small issues , collective cost of these can be quite expensive to fix out of warranty, So take it eyes shut.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 22:53   #1642
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,065
Thanked: 1,989 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
@Raj

Did the ride quality improve after replacing the bushes?
Not at all! the SA said some sound coming from the rear suspension when going over potholes, something like "khat". so he advised me to change the bushes. I was in kerela, so could not personally check.

I believe in preventive maintainence (), so i decided to change the bushes.

charges were:

1) Bush lower link - 4 pieces - 132x4 - Rs. 528
2) Bush lower link - 4 pieces - 128x4 -Rs. 512
3) Bush pan hard rod - 1 piece - Rs. 169
4) Bush pan hard rod - 1 piece - Rs. 171
5) Cotton waste - 1 - Rs. 8
Total - Rs. 1392/-

Labour charges:
1) Rear Link Bush - Rs. 800
2) Torsion bar - Rs. 560

Regarding extended warranty, no doubt its the safest option if you want peace of mind. but i would suggest you analyze your car's behaviour & maintainence patterns till now. i have not had much issues in these 35k kms except for one AC issue for which i had to shell Rs. 3k, that too under warranty! most of the parts which are susceptible to go bad or show issues are not covered under warranty, thats the glitch! since my car was running trouble free & also since, my daily running has decreased considerably, i dint opt for the extended warranty. even your running of 25k kms in 2 years seems to be less, its barely 35 kms a day. moreover, i dont think i will have to shell out 13k in the next 2 years on any parts. even if i do, it would not matter much since most of the wear & tear parts, electrical components & many such stuff are already not covered in warranty. you can go through the service manual where they have clearly stated which parts are covered in extended warranty.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 16th September 2010 at 23:04.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 15:11   #1643
BHPian
 
Wolfheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bombay
Posts: 160
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Not a valid enough reason to change , What the user manual says about max interval ?
Shucks! Left the manual with the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post

but silver lining is you can get higher resale value 2 years later :-)
I'd rather be honest. Besides, the service history says it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
DIY Take the bulb out and leave the vehicle in sun for 30 mts.
Shouldn't it be replaced since it's been breached by rain water? If so, would it be covered by the warranty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
i have not had much issues in these 35k kms except for one AC issue for which i had to shell Rs. 3k, that too under warranty!
I remember us discussing this issue earlier. It was a faulty cooling coil right? I got the same covered under warranty(including labor) and didn't have to pay anything.However, this was only after intervention by Mahindra. The Mahindra folks gave the service manager an earful when one of their reps had hinted that I would have to bear the labor charges. They were so terrified that they didn't even charge me for a washing the car. The fact is that everything for the cooling coil job should have been covered under warranty.

There's an earlier post by M Upreti where he/she has mentioned that the suspension bushes were changed under warranty. However the rep at G3 told me that I would have to pay for them separately. Why are there different standards at different ASCs? Or are our ASCs trying to rip us off?

Last edited by Wolfheart : 17th September 2010 at 15:12.
Wolfheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 15:29   #1644
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,065
Thanked: 1,989 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
I remember us discussing this issue earlier. It was a faulty cooling coil right? I got the same covered under warranty(including labor) and didn't have to pay anything.However, this was only after intervention by Mahindra. The Mahindra folks gave the service manager an earful when one of their reps had hinted that I would have to bear the labor charges. They were so terrified that they didn't even charge me for a washing the car. The fact is that everything for the cooling coil job should have been covered under warranty.

There's an earlier post by M Upreti where he/she has mentioned that the suspension bushes were changed under warranty. However the rep at G3 told me that I would have to pay for them separately. Why are there different standards at different ASCs? Or are our ASCs trying to rip us off?
Of course. Typically mahindra...
What you did was right. Even i enquired with the SA that why i had to pay 3k for something which is covered under warranty. the SA said that is the norm. when i told them that this will be escalated to mahindra, they did say sorry. but thats about it. i dont expect to get my money back anyways.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 17th September 2010 at 15:30.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 15:47   #1645
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3,848
Thanked: 121 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
...Shouldn't it be replaced since it's been breached by rain water? If so, would it be covered by the warranty?...
Yes, it should be replaced under warranty FOC! Don't even entertain any talks of your bearing any cost for this.


Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Of course. Typically mahindra...
What you did was right. Even i enquired with the SA that why i had to pay 3k for something which is covered under warranty. the SA said that is the norm. when i told them that this will be escalated to mahindra, they did say sorry. but thats about it. i dont expect to get my money back anyways.
Raj,

If people like us itself forgo such cost what do you expect the normal Joe to do? Similar incident at TASS where they charged me for alignment and balancing and for which I paid. I got this amount reduced in my next service bill, basically meaning I got a refund of that amount. I suggest you do not let go of the amount. It is not the amount that is matters here, but the way these centers work. But, its your call.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 15:52   #1646
BHPian
 
Wolfheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bombay
Posts: 160
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

I just got a call from the ASC. They have found the following problems so far:

Spedometer not working because the wiring has been damaged by a rat The wire will cost Rs. 440 and Labor will cost Rs. 900.

They have found the suspsnsion bushing(rear) to be cracked. The following is the cost they have quoted:

Bushing: Rs. 2,000/-
Labor : Rs. 1,600/-
Turner Charges: Rs. 1,000/-

I've asked him to go ahead with the wiring work. However, I need advice abouth the suspsnsion work. Does it really cost so much?
Wolfheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 15:57   #1647
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3,848
Thanked: 121 Times
Default

Wolf: what the heck is the tuner charges?

And rats - tell me about it! Had a recent scare when my little Alto started glowing 'Check Engine' light due to rats love for the wires!!!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 16:05   #1648
BHPian
 
Wolfheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bombay
Posts: 160
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Wolf: what the heck is the tuner charges?

And rats - tell me about it! Had a recent scare when my little Alto started glowing 'Check Engine' light due to rats love for the wires!!!
Perhaps I should tell them to cover the wire with rat poison. Darned rats, the wire is not even nutritious and it ends up costing me a fortune!

I don't know man. They say that they have to take it to a turner.

Last edited by Wolfheart : 17th September 2010 at 16:07.
Wolfheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 16:06   #1649
BHPian
 
roamingrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 335
Thanked: 165 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Turner Charges: Rs. 1,000/-
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
what the heck is the tuner charges?
May be lathe charges : for inserting the bush into the manifold. anyway, turner / lathe charges quoted is very high. usually it is about Rs. 350. try to bargain, but with an ASC, you may have little chance !
roamingrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 16:15   #1650
BHPian
 
Wolfheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bombay
Posts: 160
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post
May be lathe charges : for inserting the bush into the manifold. anyway, turner / lathe charges quoted is very high. usually it is about Rs. 350. try to bargain, but with an ASC, you may have little chance !
I will bargain or get quotes from other ASCs. Do you guys think the other charges are reasonable or they seem inflated as well? I'm a total layperson when it comes to technical stuff

Last edited by Wolfheart : 17th September 2010 at 16:23.
Wolfheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions Rajith Technical Stuff 420 11th April 2017 22:21
Accent / Viva CRDi: Issues & Solutions manishk83 Technical Stuff 61 13th April 2015 14:00
Child safety issues and Solutions sreenidhibr Street Experiences 55 29th April 2013 18:18


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:39.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks