Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2012, 22:57   #2821
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 66
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Thanks Devdath and asdfvinay for your inputs, I now of different angles to troubleshoot the steering noise issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Does this happen at all speeds, even when the truck is at a standstill? Does it make a noise which can be heard outside the truck? Does your steering vibrate even when the truck goes on a rough patch of road? If yes, your steering column could be faulty, else it sounds like the tires are rubbing somewhere. What size of tires are you using?
I get this sound only in still position. I will check the noise from outside this will happen after having a volunteer to keep turning the wheel. I have not come across the vibration noise in rough patch though. I am using the standard company specified tyres, have checked the tyres its moment is free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfvinay View Post
If you are talking about the sound at the lock position(extreme right and extreme left), then that is normal and not an issue.

While stationary and idling, roll down the window and turn the steering to the extreme right/left and hold it there, you should hear some zzzzzzzzz kind of sound. If you turn one notch back, you will not hear it. Is this the sound you are talking about, if it is then it is normal and happens on both left and right extremes. I was told that some valve opens up at the exteme positions to pump oil to back to the line to reduce high pressure.
The sound something like Ggrrrrr which is just before extreme left or right in still position, i do get the silent whistle sound that you are referring as well.

For the Fog lamps none of the ASC (G3 and Global Galleria) volunteered to replace it under warranty. G3 guys kept on insisted to replace it for 1500 bucks. I guess its another stinger to our mahindra folks.

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Hi, My OEM security system has stopped working suddenly, first the audio warnings stopped after the vehicle came back from A.S.S. after the Engine Check light issue, now the syatem has stopped working completely as I can just unlock and start with the key now.

Would be raising this to M&M tomorrow for sending the Nippon technician to my place.
As per my experience the siren (sound device) goes down within a year, this happens if water enters the siren and gives out only chokes sound. After replacing the siren twice I had myself change the incline angle of the siren - have not faced the issue since then. Sadly Nippon provides warranty for the first of the purchase only.

I would recommend to thoroughly inspect the wiring - could be a rat bite issue as well. Do share cause after Nippon mechanic resolves your issue.

Thanks,

Last edited by benbsb29 : 6th April 2012 at 15:04. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Plz use the Edit button if posting within 30 mins of previous post. Thanks.
Real_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 11:22   #2822
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,902
Thanked: 1,525 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real_man View Post
I get this sound only in still position. I will check the noise from outside this will happen after having a volunteer to keep turning the wheel. I have not come across the vibration noise in rough patch though. I am using the standard company specified tyres, have checked the tyres its moment is free.
The sound something like Ggrrrrr which is just before extreme left or right in still position, i do get the silent whistle sound that you are referring as well.
That clears it then. It is the sound of the power steering pump due to the extra pressure created when you hold the wheel in the extreme right or left position.
Though the steering hydraulics are tested for such pressures, as a good driving practice, try not to turn the steering full lock and hold it there, even for short durations, to enhance the life of your vehicle and reduce wear and tear.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 19:09   #2823
Senior - BHPian
 
m_upreti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 1,568
Thanked: 304 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real_man View Post
As per my experience the siren (sound device) goes down within a year, this happens if water enters the siren and gives out only chokes sound. After replacing the siren twice I had myself change the incline angle of the siren - have not faced the issue since then. Sadly Nippon provides warranty for the first of the purchase only.

I would recommend to thoroughly inspect the wiring - could be a rat bite issue as well. Do share cause after Nippon mechanic resolves your issue.
Thanks,
Hi, had some time so did a DIY with the system, unplugged all the connections (under the front passenger seat) and cleaned up the fuse (behind the instrument panel for carbon deposit) and now the security system is up and functioning regularly.

The siren seems to be kaput, I connected one of the horns to the wiring and it is functioning, so I am thinking of replacing the siren with a Hella horn next week.

Apart from this there were a lot of squeaks and groans from the vehicle so took a spanner and tightened all the nuts and bolts no the cabin is silent with now unwanted sounds

Last edited by m_upreti : 1st April 2012 at 19:13.
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2012, 11:38   #2824
Senior - BHPian
 
m_upreti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 1,568
Thanked: 304 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Hi, had some time so did a DIY with the system, unplugged all the connections (under the front passenger seat) and cleaned up the fuse (behind the instrument panel for carbon deposit) and now the security system is up and functioning regularly.

The siren seems to be kaput, I connected one of the horns to the wiring and it is functioning, so I am thinking of replacing the siren with a Hella horn next week.
1. The security system is behaving erraticaly and at will so have asked M&M to send the Nippon guy to my place to fix.

Any ideas if this would be covered under the extended warrenty.

2. The battery light stays on after starting when the car has been standing for 7-8 hrs.

If I switch off and restart it does not come up again.

Any ideas on this
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2012, 14:59   #2825
BHPian
 
aviorp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 431
Thanked: 737 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
1. The security system is behaving erraticaly and at will so have asked M&M to send the Nippon guy to my place to fix
Could you please explain a little more in detail on what exactly happens?

Quote:
2. The battery light stays on after starting when the car has been standing for 7-8 hrs
Are you referring to the 'Alternator' indicator? If yes, then its normal. During cold starts the alternator does not have enough power and hence the light glows.

Quote:
If I switch off and restart it does not come up again
That's probably because it has minimum power by then.
aviorp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2012, 18:44   #2826
Senior - BHPian
 
m_upreti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 1,568
Thanked: 304 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviorp View Post
Could you please explain a little more in detail on what exactly happens?

Are you referring to the 'Alternator' indicator? If yes, then its normal. During cold starts the alternator does not have enough power and hence the light glows.

That's probably because it has minimum power by then.
Security System:
1. The car does not lock / unlock with the remote at times even though I have changed the battery of the remote recently.
2. The car can opened with the key and ideally it should raise alarm and not start but it starts normally.
3. Sometimes it works normally and the car locks / unlocks
4. Sometimes after locking with the remote it unlocks automatically after some time.
5. The siren does not work

Battery Indicator Light:

I am referring to the Battery icon which lights up in the morning or late evening after the vehicle has been idle for 7-8 hours.

It does not go off, but on switching off the engine and restarting it goes off.
But this is also erratic sometimes it happens and sometimes it dosent.


I am having frequent issues with the Dash board indicators one after the other

1. The ABS light came on - Wiring harness had to be replaced
2. Techometer stopped working - The entire console was replaced
3. Engine Check Light Came on - Some issue wih respect to some vaccum hose ???
4. Now the Security system & the Battery light
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 16:50   #2827
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,595
Thanked: 10,647 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Pages 96-97 had some discussion regarding bug deflectors. This was in June 2010. Almost 2 years down the line, does someone have any information regarding bug deflectors being manufactured for the Scorpio?
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2012, 00:29   #2828
BHPian
 
GunMo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 115
Thanked: 43 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti
...
Sometimes after locking with the remote it unlocks automatically after some time. <<< This is weird.
...

I am having frequent issues with the Dash board indicators one after the other :
...
4. Now the Security system & the Battery light
Did you check the battery's health recently? If not, then please do. I reckon your Scorp is running at third year now - about the time most batteries run out of juice (usually Scorps come with Amaron as OEM and mine held for four years)!

I had similar symptoms before changing the battery (but no "auto-unlock", thank god).

Good luck!!

Last edited by GunMo : 15th April 2012 at 00:32.
GunMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 11:07   #2829
Senior - BHPian
 
m_upreti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 1,568
Thanked: 304 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMo View Post
Did you check the battery's health recently? If not, then please do. I reckon your Scorp is running at third year now - about the time most batteries run out of juice (usually Scorps come with Amaron as OEM and mine held for four years)!
I had similar symptoms before changing the battery (but no "auto-unlock", thank god).
Good luck!!
Hi, Scorpio will complete 4 years in Sep '12, I got the Battery (Ameron) checked recently at the local Exide outlet, and they certified it to be fine, so that rules out the battery, I am not able to fix time with the Nippon technician on account of time constraints so have started manually locking (this way it dosen't unlock automatically) and using the gear lock religiously.
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2012, 21:12   #2830
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 655 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

A friend of mine has a mHawk VLx and is due for service that requires oil change as well. The vehicle is under warranty + extended warranty.

Now, he wants to put a better grade oil than what the ASC provides. He also has good connection with the service guys. He was told that he could bring his own oil and that they will put it too, but will not mention in the job detail. But as they have to put a remark before job closing, they will mention there that the customer brought his own Maxximile oil.

This remark would be available across all ASCs online.

The question is will this retain the warranty or will have some detrimental effect?

If anyone here knows anything about it please respond asap as my friend is
scheduled to take his truck for service tomorrow.

For reasons that you all would understand, cannot reveal the name of the ASC and please don't ask for it too.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2012, 21:48   #2831
Senior - BHPian
 
SPIKE ARRESTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 2,659
Thanked: 713 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Using any lubricant / fuel / grease not recommended by M&M Ltd. in the operators manual, will invalidate the vehicle warranty.
This is an authentic statement and I am afraid I cannot go further on this.

Not trying to scare, but I know people there who specialize in such investigations (if something goes wrong).

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 20th April 2012 at 21:55.
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2012, 11:19   #2832
Senior - BHPian
 
m_upreti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 1,568
Thanked: 304 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
A friend of mine has a mHawk VLx and is due for service that requires oil change as well. The vehicle is under warranty + extended warranty.

Now, he wants to put a better grade oil than what the ASC provides. He also has good connection with the service guys. He was told that he could bring his own oil and that they will put it too, but will not mention in the job detail. But as they have to put a remark before job closing, they will mention there that the customer brought his own Maxximile oil.

This remark would be available across all ASCs online.

The question is will this retain the warranty or will have some detrimental effect?

If anyone here knows anything about it please respond asap as my friend is
scheduled to take his truck for service tomorrow.

For reasons that you all would understand, cannot reveal the name of the ASC and please don't ask for it too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
This is an authentic statement and I am afraid I cannot go further on this.

Not trying to scare, but I know people there who specialize in such investigations (if something goes wrong).

Spike

I dont think there are any issues with the OEM oils being provided at the A.S.S. I am not sure what your friend would achieve extra with a "better quality oil". I have had no issues with my MHawk VLx with the A.S.S. provided oils / top ups in the last 4 years.

M&M have a central repository of Service History and if the service people put a remark that will be available online and in case of anything unfortunate happening your friend may face a tough time with the warrenty and the insurance.
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2012, 14:07   #2833
BHPian
 
GunMo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 115
Thanked: 43 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418
The question is will this retain the warranty or will have some detrimental effect?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR
Not trying to scare, but I know people there who specialize in such investigations (if something goes wrong)
I am not a big fan of extended warranty - having seen many bait & switch tactics. However, if your friend has bitten it already, then it is better to dance per their tunes.

Of course synthetics will be better if vehicle runs high miles / high speeds, but the regular oil will do fine and costs less.
GunMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2012, 10:23   #2834
BHPian
 
sudipta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 248
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

All,

As per my understanding, we can get the extended warranty anytime before the original warranty expires which is good for 2 years. Let me know if I have mistaken.

Also need some pointers on a small spare part. The doors have 2 types of small rubber buffers, one at the top corner (looks like an arrow head) and one at the bottom of the rear doors (cylindrical shape with rings on the body) only. They also have 2 very small rubber buffers (size of rubber on top of pencils) inside the diesel flap door. My understanding is that these are used to dampen the door contact noise and help preserve the paint also.

But every time during the washing, these usually come off and I cannot replace them as they are not available as spare parts with the service centers. Does have anyone any information on where these are available?

Thanks in advance.
sudipta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2012, 13:40   #2835
Senior - BHPian
 
m_upreti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 1,568
Thanked: 304 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipta View Post
As per my understanding, we can get the extended warranty anytime before the original warranty expires which is good for 2 years. Let me know if I have mistaken.

Also need some pointers on a small spare part. The doors have 2 types of small rubber buffers, one at the top corner (looks like an arrow head) and one at the bottom of the rear doors (cylindrical shape with rings on the body) only.But every time during the washing, these usually come off and I cannot replace them as they are not available as spare parts with the service centers. Does have anyone any information on where these are available?
As far as Extended warrantly is concerned you are right, it can be done till one day before the expiry of the original one, however if you want to go for it it is advisable to go for it early in the cycle since there is some discount (couple of K atleast)

With reference to the rubber dampners, they come out easily and one of the missing ones was the cause of rusting after servicing, I fought this off with the A.S.S. and got the missing part replaced (took 2 exreas which I used in th e last 2 years) and got the damaged inner panal scraped & repainted under warrently.

I dont think that these are available outside easily.

Last edited by m_upreti : 23rd April 2012 at 13:41.
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions Rajith Technical Stuff 429 12th October 2017 09:35
Accent / Viva CRDi: Issues & Solutions manishk83 Technical Stuff 61 13th April 2015 14:00
Child safety issues and Solutions sreenidhibr Street Experiences 55 29th April 2013 18:18


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:06.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks