Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2012, 10:02   #3166
BHPian
 
kaiserketkar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 182
Thanked: 81 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
For the past some time I am facing issues with my Nippon (OEM) music system. While it runs the original CD's / MP3's properly, the CD's burned on my laptop run as per the convenience of the player, some songs are skipped and in some there is no sound and some run perfectly (the same CD runs in other players). The USB & SD cards have never run on the system as it seems that the IC running those was shot (as per Nippon guy who wanted Rs.1600 for the fix).

I would have lived with the FM but the signal in my area (fag end of Navi Mumbai) is so weak that most of the channels are not even scanned.

Since, the car is already on its way to be phased out by me in the next few months I am not sure whether to get this system repaired (knowing Nippon they would charge anything between 1-2 K) or go for a Chinese one for about 2 K which luck favouring should last atleast 6 months.

Suggestions please
Doesn't the Scorpio's oem music system come with an aux in? That way you could use your ipod/ portable music player bypassing the oem system.
Isn't there also the option of playing music from your phone via blue tooth?

If both these isn't possible, then I'd say it's worth paying Nippon 1.6k and getting the system fixed, rather than gambling on an unpredictable Chinese player. You could even check with your ASC or the Nippon guys if they have a partly functioning second hand system that you could use (either as a complete piece or just the IC) , explaining them your predicament of selling the car in the near future.
kaiserketkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 11:43   #3167
BHPian
 
Styler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 304
Thanked: 104 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Gave my Scorpio for 95,000 km Service at Bhasin Motors Delhi.
Like always they try to add the following useless things to the job sheet
1. Engine decarbonizing (They don't open the head, so it is futile)
2. Fuel Additive
3. Engine flush.
These three things put together cost Rs 4,000/=
When you tell them to do useful work like change bushes of rear suspension, they will just try to avoid such work.
I told them to do just the following
Service Charges 2,500/=
Oil Filter, Oil, Fuel Filter 2,500/=
Basic inspection and thorough check up. I basically give the car to the authorized service center for check-up and they do a shoddy job at that.
Although parts are cheap for the Scorpio, the service charges are really high compared to other vehicles.
The cost of service for my Toyota Camry is 950.
Oil Filter and Oil for Camry is Rs 1500.
So basic service with oil change in Camry is 2500 + taxes and in the scorpio it is 5,000 + taxes. Leave the cost alone, but the real difference is that Toyota does a really professional job at check-up whereas the Mahindra service center will simply wash and return the car.

Styler


Note from Moderator: Please do not use colours and bold unless you are highlighting a specific section of your post

Last edited by navin : 27th December 2012 at 12:47.
Styler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 12:55   #3168
BHPian
 
Styler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 304
Thanked: 104 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

An update about my Scorpio Service.

I got a call from the workshop telling me that they checked the rear suspension, one Kamani is broken. Now they are changing the 12 Bushes of the rear suspension, and the broken Kamani.

The friendly mechanic will never figure out such things, so this is the reason once in a while it is good to give the car for service and inspection to the Authorized Service Center. I am glad they are doing the rear suspension finally.

I had got both the rear brake cylinders and the brake shoes replaced about 6 months back before my Leh trip in June. The service adviser just informs me that they found one rear brake cylinder leaking slightly. It is unfortunate that this happened just after 6 months. I have told them to just put an expert on this and if it needs replacement, they should go ahead and replace it.

Styler
Styler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 13:13   #3169
Senior - BHPian
 
m_upreti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mumbai/Medellin
Posts: 1,556
Thanked: 282 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserketkar View Post
Doesn't the Scorpio's oem music system come with an aux in? That way you could use your ipod/ portable music player bypassing the oem system.
Isn't there also the option of playing music from your phone via blue tooth?

If both these isn't possible, then I'd say it's worth paying Nippon 1.6k and getting the system fixed, rather than gambling on an unpredictable Chinese player. You could even check with your ASC or the Nippon guys if they have a partly functioning second hand system that you could use (either as a complete piece or just the IC) , explaining them your predicament of selling the car in the near future.
I think there is an aux in at the rear end of the system but it is painful to have additional accessories cluttering around. There is no bluetooth support in my system, and external one will not work since the USB port is not working.

But since yesterday thanks to the self healing capabilities of the Scorpio the CD cut in Oct which refused to play even once in the car is playing perfectly now, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

As per your suggestion I a trying to trace the mobile number of the Nippon engineer who lives in the neighbourhood to find out if he can help me unofficially.
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 13:58   #3170
BHPian
 
kaiserketkar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 182
Thanked: 81 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
But since yesterday thanks to the self healing capabilities of the Scorpio the CD cut in Oct which refused to play even once in the car is playing perfectly now, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Three cheers to the self healing Scorpio yet again!

And DON'T touch that CD now! Leave it in and keep on playing it in loop for the next few months.
That'll also serve as an incentive to you to speed up the purchase of that XUV you've been debating with yourself!
If the chap purchasing your Scorpio seems like a good fellow, and if you feel 'udaar', you could gift it [the CD] to him as an accessory with the car!
kaiserketkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 11:14   #3171
Senior - BHPian
 
m_upreti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mumbai/Medellin
Posts: 1,556
Thanked: 282 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserketkar View Post
Three cheers to the self healing Scorpio yet again!

And DON'T touch that CD now! Leave it in and keep on playing it in loop for the next few months.
That'll also serve as an incentive to you to speed up the purchase of that XUV you've been debating with yourself!
If the chap purchasing your Scorpio seems like a good fellow, and if you feel 'udaar', you could gift it [the CD] to him as an accessory with the car!
You are right, I have this habit of having the same CD in for atleast a couple of months until the family gets bugged off with it. Anyhow this one has 80 tracks which should last for some time.

As far as the new car is concerned now it is XUV vs the Rexton since these are the only vehicles of the type which I like within my reach (though the Rexton is stretching slightly off the borderline), I am observing the reports on the Rexton closely and it seems to be faring better as far as the build quality is concerned and it may be a good idea to stretch furher and get peace of mind rather than running around the A.S.S. (had enough with the Scorpio)
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 11:27   #3172
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,547
Thanked: 1,121 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Since, the car is already on its way to be phased out by me in the next few months
OT:

What options are you looking at?
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 12:08   #3173
Senior - BHPian
 
m_upreti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mumbai/Medellin
Posts: 1,556
Thanked: 282 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
OT:What options are you looking at?
It will be a SUV there is no doubt about it , there is complete unanimity within the family on this.

Current list includes with pros / cons:

1. XVU500 - Love the looks but afraid of the niggles 9dont want a Scorpio repeat).
2. Duster-VFM but after being used to the bulk of the Scorpio it seems puny.
3. Rexton - Looks great but still to prove its worth in India & more importantly going slightly over budget
4. Endeavour - Love the bulk but old technology and the current version would be phased out soon. Discounts are tempting.

I will probably go for the change within the first half of 2013

Last edited by m_upreti : 28th December 2012 at 12:11.
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 12:37   #3174
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Hyd
Posts: 242
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Time to change the shocks?

Hi,

I have two issues with my Scorpio, suggestions please.

1. Recently I had to take a ride in the middle row of my Scorpio and at two or three instances I felt that the bump stops came into action. This was at speed breakers of average size, not too high. We were totally three people in the Scorpio all of average build. Father and Me were in the middle row. There was no luggage and I do not even have the third row seats.

Bump stops coming into action for such average sized speed breakers - does it indicate I need to change the rear shock absorbers? should I get them replaced?

Mine is a 2005 CRDe with leaf spring setup. There was no oil leakage from shocks so far and leaf springs were recambered around 3 months back. Externally the height looks normal.

2. From past few weeks I feel the nose diving is more(than before) when I apply breaks. What could be the reason for this? I have the following in mind, is any of these possible?
a) Rear break liners are not effective and all the stopping effort is on front liners.
b) Front left shock is new and the right shock started leaking recently. can this leaking shock be the reason?

Pls suggest

-Vinay.
asdfvinay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 12:51   #3175
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,547
Thanked: 1,121 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Time to change the shocks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Current list includes with pros / cons:

1. XVU500
2. Duster
3. Rexton
4. Endeavour
Out of these, I d prefer the Endeavour. While it is bumpy, hardly has any features and outdated, it is very reliable and robust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfvinay View Post
Bump stops coming into action for such average sized speed breakers - does it indicate I need to change the rear shock absorbers? should I get them replaced?
Check the rear shock absorbers, looks like they are bust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfvinay View Post
2. From past few weeks I feel the nose diving is more(than before) when I apply breaks. What could be the reason for this? I have the following in mind, is any of these possible?
Yours is a pretty well worn vehicle. Have you checked the front springs for proper functioning? They could have gone soft resulting in excessive nose dive. Also, when the rear leaves were re cambered, were they done properly or were they slightly harder?
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 13:40   #3176
Senior - BHPian
 
m_upreti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mumbai/Medellin
Posts: 1,556
Thanked: 282 Times
Default Re: Time to change the shocks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Out of these, I d prefer the Endeavour. While it is bumpy, hardly has any features and outdated, it is very reliable and robust.
I did a TD of the Endeavour and while the bulk and ride are fine it is barebone & I have been spoilt silly by the gizmos in the Scorpio to an extent that I forget to even switch off the lights if I am driving any other car and with the new Endeavour expected in the first half of next year (probably in the bracket of Fortuner / Pajero Sport) I do not know the fate of the existing one.

My bent is still towards the XUV but am waiting to see if M&M brings out a refresh (meaning relatively niggle free) in the next few months or else it would be the Rexton.
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 14:52   #3177
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Hyd
Posts: 242
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Check the rear shock absorbers, looks like they are bust.
Thank you for the replies.

Is there any simple way to check the shocks myself or is it a remove and check job? I'll have them checked during the next service

Quote:
Yours is a pretty well worn vehicle. Have you checked the front springs for proper functioning? They could have gone soft resulting in excessive nose dive. Also, when the rear leaves were re cambered, were they done properly or were they slightly harder?
I have never checked, is there a way to check or is it only by judging the way it bounces(I can not judge this)? If they are soft, can they be hardened again or is replacement a better option? I did not understand "properly or slightly harder?", do you mean the height? I got them recambered to the original height.

Mine has done over 90k and is well cared. There are no sounds or anything from suspension or anywhere. Is it normal for the springs to loose tension by 90k?

Thanks,
-Vinay.
asdfvinay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 15:01   #3178
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,547
Thanked: 1,121 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
My bent is still towards the XUV but am waiting to see if M&M brings out a refresh (meaning relatively niggle free) in the next few months or else it would be the Rexton.
Well, the XUV is sure to become niggle free as time progresses. See what M&M does to you, once an M&M, always an M&M, come whatever may..!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfvinay View Post
Is there any simple way to check the shocks myself or is it a remove and check job? I'll have them checked during the next service
Check for leaks by getting your vehicle properly washed and then driving it on a clean dry road. Also, compare the ride of your vehicle with another cousin of the the same age to get a better idea. The rest will need the shock absorber to be removed and checked, which is difficult at home.


Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfvinay View Post
I have never checked, is there a way to check or is it only by judging the way it bounces(I can not judge this)? If they are soft, can they be hardened again or is replacement a better option? I did not understand "properly or slightly harder?", do you mean the height? I got them recambered to the original height.
Comparing two similar vehicles is the best way to judge this on your own. At the ASC, when the springs are removed, they can be easily compared by placing them next to a set a new springs and if they have lost tension, they will look smaller in height than the the new springs. 90k km is a fair amount of mileage and depending on your loading and usage pattern, they could have become soft. There is no way of repairing them, they need to be replaced.

Also, if your rear leaves were recambered to the same height, it is the wear and tear at the front that is making your vehicle feel bouncy.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2012, 13:40   #3179
BHPian
 
Styler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 304
Thanked: 104 Times
Post Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

My Scorpio is back after service.

Total Cost Rs 12,000

# Around 5,000 for the total Rear Leaf Assembly Replacement, and all Bushes of Rear Suspension Change.

# Around 1200 for Rear left Brake Wheel Cylinder Change.

# Arond 6,000 For Service , Oil, Oil Filter, Fuel Filter Change.

Styler
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-scorpioinvoice.jpg  

Styler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2012, 17:29   #3180
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Madras
Posts: 88
Thanked: 36 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

I was cleaning my vehicle yesterday and to my surprise, found that there is no AC particle filter/AC Cabin filter in the car. Checked with the Service advisor and he confirmed that there is no such thing in SLE. Only VLX has it. Can I fit one if I need to? Scorpio SLE owners, kindly confirm...

SST sir's ownership thread says about the AC Particle filter cleaning during the service. Again it is a VLX.
Jack Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions Rajith Technical Stuff 385 23rd November 2016 15:43
Accent / Viva CRDi: Issues & Solutions manishk83 Technical Stuff 61 13th April 2015 14:00
Child safety issues and Solutions sreenidhibr Street Experiences 55 29th April 2013 18:18


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:53.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks