Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2013, 20:47   #3256
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,544
Thanked: 10,431 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
...it could well be the noise from the speedometer cable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
The noise persists at around 1500 rpm in 2nd 3rd and 4th gears.
SS We can hear the noise on 2nd 3rd and 4th gear, but it is more prominent in 3rd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
But no noise in 1st/5th gear?
The absolute necessity of a test drive by someone who understands what the car is trying to say!
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2013, 15:53   #3257
Senior - BHPian
 
m_upreti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mumbai/Medellin
Posts: 1,561
Thanked: 290 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Hi Friends, I seem to be facing some ignition issues despite changing the battery 2 weeks back.

The morning first ignition is not instant and seems to be laboured, while the subsequent starts are better.

It is not very cold these in Navi Mumbai still I am facing the issue.

Any pointers.
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2013, 17:41   #3258
BHPian
 
Styler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 360
Thanked: 172 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Hi Friends, I seem to be facing some ignition issues despite changing the battery 2 weeks back.

The morning first ignition is not instant and seems to be laboured, while the subsequent starts are better.

It is not very cold these in Navi Mumbai still I am facing the issue.

Any pointers.
The simplest things should be ruled out first.
The first thing I would recommend would be to change the fuel filter. I have seen this happen when the fuel filter get old and the fuel is not flowing freely.

Styler

Last edited by Styler : 19th February 2013 at 17:42.
Styler is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2013, 18:22   #3259
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,788
Thanked: 1,396 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
One thing I am contemplating doing after completing 1 lac Kms is getting the injectors cleaned. Has anybody got the Injectors cleaned in a Scorpio.
Hariya is at 85k and I got the engine de-carbonized last week at Rakesh Automobiles, Gurgaon using his new WURTH de carbonising machine. Along with me, GD and Roshun (Both Scorpio owners) got their vehicles de carbonized too. It takes all of 20 minutes and INR 1500.00 and is better than getting the injectors opened, cleaned and calibrated again.

All of us feel that the engines have now achieved significant reduction in noise, vibration and feel a lot peppier.

I strongly recommend you get it done.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2013, 18:33   #3260
Senior - BHPian
 
m_upreti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mumbai/Medellin
Posts: 1,561
Thanked: 290 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
The simplest things should be ruled out first.
The first thing I would recommend would be to change the fuel filter. I have seen this happen when the fuel filter get old and the fuel is not flowing freely.Styler
Thanks for the tip, I guess I am behind by 20K servicing by at leasta couple of K kms. let me find time to have the car serviced ASAP.
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2013, 19:18   #3261
BHPian
 
Styler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 360
Thanked: 172 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Hariya is at 85k and I got the engine de-carbonized last week at Rakesh Automobiles, Gurgaon using his new WURTH de carbonising machine. Along with me, GD and Roshun (Both Scorpio owners) got their vehicles de carbonized too. It takes all of 20 minutes and INR 1500.00 and is better than getting the injectors opened, cleaned and calibrated again.

All of us feel that the engines have now achieved significant reduction in noise, vibration and feel a lot peppier.

I strongly recommend you get it done.
Devdath if you read my previous post, you will read that I already got the decarbonising done at Rakesh motors last week. I was lucky to meet GD there and I saw them working on your Scorpio's rear axels.

Styler
Styler is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2013, 20:44   #3262
BHPian
 
Wolfheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bombay
Posts: 160
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Guys I have 2008 Scorpio VLX M Hawk with manual transmission which has done 40k km. Last month the check engine light came on. I sent it to the Mahindra ASC as it was due for routine servicing anyway. They ran diagnostics and charged me Rs. 500 for it. It's mentioned as "laptop charges". According to the service advisor it's due to a faulty "Vacuum Modulator" that the check engine light is on. He said that it needs to be replaced but the spare is not available. It's almost been a month and I have been following up with the ASC regularly. They say that they've placed an order for the part but Mahindra has not supplied them yet and they don't know when it will be available. I have been advised to drive the car in the city but not to take it on long drives. Any of you guys know what the hell is a vaccum modulator and whether my car will suffer any damage since I have no option but to drive around with a check engine light on? I have written an e-mail to the ASC and marked a CC to Mahindra Customer Care. No one has even bothered to respond yet. Getting really put off with M&M. I'll be wary of purchasing another M&M vehicle in the future.
Wolfheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2013, 20:58   #3263
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,758
Thanked: 1,521 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Hariya is at 85k and I got the engine de-carbonized last week at Rakesh Automobiles, Gurgaon using his new WURTH de carbonising machine. Along with me, GD and Roshun (Both Scorpio owners) got their vehicles de carbonized too. It takes all of 20 minutes and INR 1500.00 and is better than getting the injectors opened, cleaned and calibrated again.

All of us feel that the engines have now achieved significant reduction in noise, vibration and feel a lot peppier.

I strongly recommend you get it done.
Can you please elaborate a bit more about the process as to what does the machine actually cleans and how?,Does it involve cleaning of Intercooler and EGR valve etc?
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2013, 21:45   #3264
BHPian
 
roamingrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 335
Thanked: 165 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quoting this from your Hariya ownership thread :
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Hariya, after his dose of System-D was extremely frugal at 12.25kmpl with highway speeds of around 100-110kmph.
From this thread :
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Hariya is at 85k and I got the engine de-carbonized last week at Rakesh Automobiles, Gurgaon using his new WURTH de carbonising machine. Along with me, GD and Roshun (Both Scorpio owners) got their vehicles de carbonized too. It takes all of 20 minutes and INR 1500.00 and is better than getting the injectors opened, cleaned and calibrated again.

Devdath,

Kindly elaborate / provide more gyaan on usage of System D on Hariya. How long have you been using the additive ? What were the noticeable changes ?

Had you noticed any benefits, what made you opt for de-carbonizing despite using system D ? Doesn't using system D provide the same benefits on the long run ?

Eager to know
roamingrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 08:45   #3265
BHPian
 
Styler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 360
Thanked: 172 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

I saw posts from GD, from a long time back about Injector cleaning in his Scorpio done by Rakesh Motors. He had some problems immediately after the cleaning, but he attributed those to other factors like EGR Valve and not Injector cleaning.
GD Sir, can you just recollect for all of us what was the overall outcome of the Injector servicing, and how was the problem that popped up immediately after eventually resolved.

Styler

Last edited by GTO : 23rd February 2013 at 14:40. Reason: Typo
Styler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 11:49   #3266
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,788
Thanked: 1,396 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Can you please elaborate a bit more about the process as to what does the machine actually cleans and how?,Does it involve cleaning of Intercooler and EGR valve etc?
The cleaning process is as under:
1. Idle the engine if cold till it warms up to normal operating temperature.
2. Connect the fuel feed line from the diesel filter to the de carbonising machine.
3. Connect the fuel + solvent outlet pipe from the machine to the HP inlet of the vehicle.
4. Ensure there is sufficient quantity of WURTH solvent/cleaner in the solvent tank.
5. Connect the fuel return pipe to the de carbonisation machine.
6. Start the engine and keep it idling and the indicator on the machine will indicate when the cleaning is done.

Since the fuel going into the engine is mixed with the WURTH solvent, it travels through the fuel lines, the rail, the injectors, the cylinder head, the exhaust system and cleans all the components to varying levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post
Devdath,

Kindly elaborate / provide more gyaan on usage of System D on Hariya. How long have you been using the additive ? What were the noticeable changes ?
I have been using Sys-D on Hariya for the past 2 years now and generally use it at every alternate tank of diesel. However, I usually forget to buy it and for the past six months, did not use it at all. The most evident change that I notice due to the usage of Sys-D is the increase in fuel efficiency by at least 8-10% which impresses me a lot.
Also, since I, at times, need to refill from unknown/non descript looking pumps, Sys-D gives me some confidence as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post
Had you noticed any benefits, what made you opt for de-carbonizing despite using system D ? Doesn't using system D provide the same benefits on the long run ?

Eager to know
Like I said, due to my carelessness, I had not used Sys-D at all for the past 6 months and hence I felt the need for this de carb.

The immediate benefits I noticed post the de carb are as under:

1. Cold start clatter reduced greatly.
2. Engine sound on warm up was like a brand new engine.
3. Low end torque has increased. Hariya now pulls silently at 60kmph on 5th gear(though I dont do it as a practice).
4. The feel of surge during acceleration, especially at signal take offs has improved a lot. It is a lot more silent, powerful and smooth.


PS: I did not experience such a drastic change when on Sys-D.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 15:33   #3267
Senior - BHPian
 
m_upreti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mumbai/Medellin
Posts: 1,561
Thanked: 290 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Guys I have 2008 Scorpio VLX M Hawk with manual transmission which has done 40k km. Last month the check engine light came on. I sent it to the Mahindra ASC as it was due for routine servicing anyway. They ran diagnostics and charged me Rs. 500 for it. It's mentioned as "laptop charges". According to the service advisor it's due to a faulty "Vacuum Modulator" that the check engine light is on. He said that it needs to be replaced but the spare is not available. It's almost been a month and I have been following up with the ASC regularly. They say that they've placed an order for the part but Mahindra has not supplied them yet and they don't know when it will be available. I have been advised to drive the car in the city but not to take it on long drives.
The modulator valve is a part of the transmission vacuum and if it is not working properly, the transmission will not shift properly. This problem occurs when the hose connecting the transmission to the engine vacuum cracks or burns, or collapses onto itself.

Please check again if the Vacuum Modulator itself is conked off or it is the hose which is damaged.

I had faced the exact issue some 6-8 months back (Sep 2007, VLX mHawk), first time the engine check light came on I stopped by the side and did a couple of restarts and idling and finally the light went off. It came on again after a week or so and refused to go, at the A.S.S. they identified the issue to the burst vacuum hose but fortunately they had the part which they replaced but they kept the car for 2 days for testing and rechecking and since then I have had no issue.

They have correctly advise you to not to take the car out on long drives since there is a chance that the car may stall and not start again and you may have to have it towed.

Last edited by m_upreti : 20th February 2013 at 15:36.
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2013, 11:27   #3268
Senior - BHPian
 
m_upreti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mumbai/Medellin
Posts: 1,561
Thanked: 290 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Hi, my VLX seems to be now failing me more often now. It refused to start in the morning again. The battery was replaced 3 weeks back. It seems to be a cold start problem, any clues, inputs.
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2013, 11:44   #3269
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,544
Thanked: 10,431 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
1. Cold start clatter reduced greatly.
Surprising. One would have expected higher diesel clatter once the carbon has been removed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
4. The feel of surge during acceleration, especially at signal take offs has improved a lot.
How is the FE before and after decarbonising?
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2013, 18:26   #3270
BHPian
 
Wolfheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bombay
Posts: 160
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
The modulator valve is a part of the transmission vacuum and if it is not working properly, the transmission will not shift properly. This problem occurs when the hose connecting the transmission to the engine vacuum cracks or burns, or collapses onto itself.


Please check again if the Vacuum Modulator itself is conked off or it is the hose which is damaged.

I had faced the exact issue some 6-8 months back (Sep 2007, VLX mHawk), first time the engine check light came on I stopped by the side and did a couple of restarts and idling and finally the light went off. It came on again after a week or so and refused to go, at the A.S.S. they identified the issue to the burst vacuum hose but fortunately they had the part which they replaced but they kept the car for 2 days for testing and rechecking and since then I have had no issue.

They have correctly advise you to not to take the car out on long drives since there is a chance that the car may stall and not start again and you may have to have it towed.
Thanks for sharing your experience. It seems that thy've finally found teh part and my car's with them since saturday. The only issue I faced was a lack of speed pick up during acceleration apart from the check engine light staying on.

What's really disappointing is that despite sending e-mails and calling Mahindra customer care to get advice, they haven't bothered to respond yet. Same thing with the service advisor. I have to call them to get status updates and most of the time they don't bother to return your call.

I have also learnt that the correct abbreviation for the service centre is not ASC but ASS.
Wolfheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions Rajith Technical Stuff 422 13th July 2017 19:16
Accent / Viva CRDi: Issues & Solutions manishk83 Technical Stuff 61 13th April 2015 14:00
Child safety issues and Solutions sreenidhibr Street Experiences 55 29th April 2013 18:18


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:26.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks