Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2013, 10:23   #3646
Senior - BHPian
 
comfortablynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,268
Thanked: 849 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharika View Post
While I was there at the service center, I saw one funny Scorpio. See if you can find the funny part.
OT:

Do you mean that Scorpio had a sense of humour as it was getting itself serviced at a M&M ASC, or that it was funny looking? If it's the latter, then all mHawk Scorpios are like that, isn't it?

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2013, 10:39   #3647
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 196
Thanked: 32 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post

OT:

Do you mean that Scorpio had a sense of humour as it was getting itself serviced at a M&M ASC, or that it was funny looking? If it's the latter, then all mHawk Scorpios are like that, isn't it?

Cheers,
Vikram
Coming to that, I have always got my Scorpio serviced at ASC, so how many of the Scorpio owners here trust a non ASC mechanic more than ASC? I have never thought of that as an option but it might be time.
This funny looking Scorpio had all the chrome accessories that one can find in the market and the max number of DLR that I have ever seen on one vehicle.
gharika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2013, 18:27   #3648
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 94
Thanked: 69 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Problem:
The beast did not come to life after multiple key kicks one fine friday morning. Took the battery for service/recharge and concluded one of the cells was dead.

Solution:
Replaced the 3.1 Month old Exide 70 AH battery with a Exide 80 AH battery which costed 5200 with replacement. The beast is back to normal self.

Question:
I know its good to have a more powerful battery under the hood but that is where my knowledge ends. I request the experts to point in detail about the advantages/disadvantages and if any other part needs to be replaced/checked in combination with this upgrade of battery power.

Thanks,
G2
TheG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2013, 18:38   #3649
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 94
Thanked: 69 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

[/quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gharika View Post
Coming to that, I have always got my Scorpio serviced at ASC, so how many of the Scorpio owners here trust a non ASC mechanic more than ASC? I have never thought of that as an option but it might be time.
This funny looking Scorpio had all the chrome accessories that one can find in the market and the max number of DLR that I have ever seen on one vehicle.
Dear Gharika,
Even though it is advisable to stick to the ASC for service and other work. Many including me get most of the work done outside at FNG. I visit the ASC every 10k (as against 5k as per manual) only for a regular checkup/service just for the peace of mind. If anything is advised during this visit I get it rechecked at my FNG and do the needed there itself.

The important point here is how good or trustable your FNG is. Please stick to ASC till you find a good FNG. No pointing in giving the beast in wrong hands to save some money.

MODs - Sorry for the back to back post. Realized after posting.

Kind Regards,
G2

Last edited by TheG2 : 24th December 2013 at 19:05. Reason: Back to back post.
TheG2 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2013, 17:33   #3650
BHPian
 
carbaliga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bengalooru
Posts: 88
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

I had posted this query under Scorpio Automatic thread and realize there is no activity on this thread. Thought i will post it here to gather a few pointers and response or help.

My Scorpio AT has done 54500kms in 3 years and is out of warranty. Hit upon this issue during my last week drive from BLR to Pune. I was 50kms away from Pune when the engine light (not the engine check light) started to glow and immediately there are a few violent jerks and engine goes in to a limp mode with high RPM. Did a few restarts and the light would go off and engine worked as normal for a few kms, the engine light would again resurface with engine getting in the limp mode.

I took the vehicle to Silver Jubilee motors in Pune and they said its a 4-5 days procedure for which i was not ready since i was not staying in Pune that long. I drove the car back to BLR in same condition with speed not exceeding 100kmph (RPM revved up to 4). Net result the fuel consumption was more than anticipated. There was an element of surprise in the return journey, i switched off the AC in one of the toll booth stops and then did a restart the vehicle behaved normally for 100 kms afterwhich the problem resurfaced.

So much on the problem, i gave my car to my FNG upon return, he did his routine of checking battery disconnections etc. and the car is now with Anant Cars. The service engineer has diagnosed a faulty Gearbox sensor that is not allowing gear shifts to work normally. The procedure would be to replace sensor, flush out the transmission oil and keep checking with a 200-300 kms run. I have been given an estimate of Rs 39000 for the entire work which includes an estimate of Rs. 25000 for oil (Rs. 1500 per litre) and Rs 6000 for the sensor. I have raised this with Mahindra service customer care and awaiting response.

Meanwhile anyone has encountered this issue in the past? Does the oil cost that much - Rs. 1500 per litre? Is there anyone in Mahindra that i can escalate this issue and get some respite on the cost ?

Thanks for your help in advance.
carbaliga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2014, 11:15   #3651
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,108
Thanked: 984 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

May be due to heating up. Check if the problem occurs in normal city run. If not then it is definitely heat up problem, as long highway runs will heat the oil more.

If there is any radiator for transmission oil, then check it for leaf/dust choking.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 15:03   #3652
Senior - BHPian
 
m_upreti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 1,568
Thanked: 304 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

My Scorpio seems to be going through a bad phase these days:

1. Last Monday the car refused to start, reason battery dead.
I had replaced the battery in Feb last year (Amaron Black - Replacement warranty of 18 months) since then this battery had gone flat twice and both times the dealer found fault with the alternator. I got the alternator checked and there was no issue with the car. In both instances the dealer recharged the battery and charged me Rs. 200.00.
This time I immediately called up the Amaron customer care and lodged a complaint, after 2 days of follow up the local distributor came and picked up the battery.
Another few days of follow up I was told that the battery was completely dead and it would take 2 days to get the required specific gravity and then the battery would be charged.
Finally yesterday (Sun) the distributor came with a new replacement battery and I was informed that connection one of the cells of the battery was broken which was a manufacturing defect.
While the company is no where to be blamed I am planning to lodge a complaint about the dealer who sold me the battery.

2. Happy after having the car back started for Vashi, where on the pride of Navi Mumbai, the Palm Beach road disaster struck again in the form of a 6 inch piece of an iron pipe getting lodged in the rear left tyre, it was a sound of a small bomb going off and the TPMS beeping in less than 15 seconds the pressure was down to .7 psi by the time I stopped.
Later showed the tyre to a local tyre wallah, he opines that the puncture is too large to be fixed and suggests that a patch be applied in the inside (some patch number he quoted) and a tube be installed as the tyre will not be able to hold the air pressure.
Need gurus to advise on the course of action.

3. Simultaneous to the tyre burst and replacement when I restarted the car I have again started getting the engine check warning which I was getting some time back.

So it seems that the car is destined for another stint at the A.S.S.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheG2 View Post
Problem:
I know its good to have a more powerful battery under the hood but that is where my knowledge ends. I request the experts to point in detail about the advantages/disadvantages and if any other part needs to be replaced/checked in combination with this upgrade of battery power.
The only issue I foresee is that the charging by the alternator. Just check the user manual once to see if the vehicle will support a proper charging of a higher power battery.

Last edited by m_upreti : 6th January 2014 at 15:06.
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 16:00   #3653
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 286
Thanked: 152 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

How much does the change of tyres affects the ride quality? I have MRF tyres and having an issue with the ride quality where it makes you feel every patch in the road. The service team stated that both the suspension and bushes are good and the tyre is the reason.

Thoughts?
klassics45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 16:19   #3654
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,900
Thanked: 1,525 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Later showed the tyre to a local tyre wallah, he opines that the puncture is too large to be fixed and suggests that a patch be applied in the inside (some patch number he quoted) and a tube be installed as the tyre will not be able to hold the air pressure.
Need gurus to advise on the course of action.
He is correct. If the puncture is more like a cut on the tire, it is best to install a patch from the inside and put a tube and use the tire as a stepney. However, a few pictures of the tire and the cut would help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by klassics45 View Post
How much does the change of tyres affects the ride quality?
Different tires have significantly different ride qualities and a harder or a softer tire can easily be felt when driving/sitting in a car.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 16:51   #3655
Senior - BHPian
 
m_upreti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 1,568
Thanked: 304 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
He is correct. If the puncture is more like a cut on the tire, it is best to install a patch from the inside and put a tube and use the tire as a stepney. However, a few pictures of the tire and the cut would help.
Actually when the tyre burst it was too hot to think of anything but change and drive on, later when I offloaded it at the tyre shop it was too dark to take any pics.

the pipe was completely embedded in the tyre and it rook almost 15 minutes and 2 people to pull the entire 6 inch piece out (my son has preserved it, I'll share the pic tomorrow).

Once it was out the cut cannot be seen as it is buried under the tread.

Will check with the tyre guy in the evening and update.
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 23:51   #3656
BHPian
 
octane78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 141
Thanked: 28 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
My Scorpio seems to be going through a bad phase these days:

1. Last Monday the car refused to start, reason battery dead.
I had replaced the battery in Feb last year (Amaron Black - Replacement warranty of 18 months) since then this battery had gone flat twice and both times the dealer found fault with the alternator. I got the alternator checked and there was no issue with the car. In both instances the dealer recharged the battery and charged me Rs. 200.00.
This time I immediately called up the Amaron customer care and lodged a complaint, after 2 days of follow up the local distributor came and picked up the battery.
Another few days of follow up I was told that the battery was completely dead and it would take 2 days to get the required specific gravity and then the battery would be charged.
Finally yesterday (Sun) the distributor came with a new replacement battery and I was informed that connection one of the cells of the battery was broken which was a manufacturing defect.
While the company is no where to be blamed I am planning to lodge a complaint about the dealer who sold me the battery.

2. Happy after having the car back started for Vashi, where on the pride of Navi Mumbai, the Palm Beach road disaster struck again in the form of a 6 inch piece of an iron pipe getting lodged in the rear left tyre, it was a sound of a small bomb going off and the TPMS beeping in less than 15 seconds the pressure was down to .7 psi by the time I stopped.
Later showed the tyre to a local tyre wallah, he opines that the puncture is too large to be fixed and suggests that a patch be applied in the inside (some patch number he quoted) and a tube be installed as the tyre will not be able to hold the air pressure.
Need gurus to advise on the course of action.

3. Simultaneous to the tyre burst and replacement when I restarted the car I have again started getting the engine check warning which I was getting some time back.

So it seems that the car is destined for another stint at the A.S.S.




The only issue I foresee is that the charging by the alternator. Just check the user manual once to see if the vehicle will support a proper charging of a higher power battery.
m_upreti, Since your Scorpio comes with TPMS sensors you would not be able to add a tube inside the tyre since the TPMS is designed to work with only tubeless tyres and incase you just add a tube the TPMS has to be removed from the valve and store it else where. The so called patch work would not work and cause bulges on the tyre when you fill up air.

Best would be to change the tyre and be safe .
octane78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2014, 00:24   #3657
BHPian
 
GunMo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 115
Thanked: 43 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Actually when the tyre burst it was too hot to think of anything but change and drive on, later when I offloaded it at the tyre shop it was too dark to take any pics. the pipe was completely embedded in the tyre and it rook almost 15 minutes and 2 people to pull the entire 6 inch piece out (my son has preserved it, I'll share the pic tomorrow). Once it was out the cut cannot be seen as it is buried under the tread. Will check with the tyre guy in the evening and update.
From your words, it appear that the six inch piece is a vertically sliced pipe and has pierced your tire on sideways. If so, then the cut must have been too long to safely repair the tire and use it on highways. A picture of the pipe along with a marking on the tire over the puncture area would help.
GunMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2014, 11:08   #3658
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,108
Thanked: 984 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

The problem with tubeless tyres is that they cannot be used with a large cut, especially if it cuts the reinforcement cords. Once the cords are cut the tyre's structural integrity is compromised and it cannot sustain either the designed load or high temperature generated while driving on the highway.

It is best to retire the cut tyre and get a new one.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2014, 13:10   #3659
Senior - BHPian
 
m_upreti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 1,568
Thanked: 304 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

The tyre was repaired by patching from the inside. Thankfully the iron pipe was flattened before it struck the tyre so the cut is about an inch long and a not wide. The charges for patching and puncture repairs Rs. 750.00

I plan to use this tyre as a spare and to limp to a nearest repair shop in case of a puncture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The problem with tubeless tyres is that they cannot be used with a large cut, especially if it cuts the reinforcement cords. Once the cords are cut the tyre's structural integrity is compromised and it cannot sustain either the designed load or high temperature generated while driving on the highway.
As per the repair guy the reinforcement cords seem to be undamaged and tyre is usable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMo View Post
From your words, it appear that the six inch piece is a vertically sliced pipe and has pierced your tire on sideways. If so, then the cut must have been too long to safely repair the tire and use it on highways. A picture of the pipe along with a marking on the tire over the puncture area would help.
It was not vertical cut, you will be able to gauge that with the picture of the pipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane78 View Post
m_upreti, Since your Scorpio comes with TPMS sensors you would not be able to add a tube inside the tyre since the TPMS is designed to work with only tubeless tyres and incase you just add a tube the TPMS has to be removed from the valve and store it else where. The so called patch work would not work and cause bulges on the tyre when you fill up air.
I thought about that also, if it would have been a tube then TPMS for 1 tyre would be redundant. But since the repair has been done the TPMS is working fine.

The patch is on the inside as the tyre has not been cut deep so it is not bulging, I had it filled to 48 psi before accepting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
He is correct. If the puncture is more like a cut on the tire, it is best to install a patch from the inside and put a tube and use the tire as a stepney. However, a few pictures of the tire and the cut would help..
Nothing seen on the tyre surface now, picture of the pipe alongside a scale attached. When I removed the tyre just the end of the pipe was visible on the tyre surface.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by m_upreti : 7th January 2014 at 13:12.
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2014, 13:36   #3660
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,900
Thanked: 1,525 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
I plan to use this tyre as a spare and to limp to a nearest repair shop in case of a puncture.
That is the best thing to do.

By the way, how many kms had this tire done?
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions Rajith Technical Stuff 429 12th October 2017 09:35
Accent / Viva CRDi: Issues & Solutions manishk83 Technical Stuff 61 13th April 2015 14:00
Child safety issues and Solutions sreenidhibr Street Experiences 55 29th April 2013 18:18


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:35.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks