Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2016, 13:57   #4261
BHPian
 
lal79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 59
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

My S10 4WD completed 5780 KM. Now there is a new noise that is very much audible during idle. It is a "grrmm" kind of noise. When the vehicle is on move the noise is there, but the intensity is less. Earlier I faced dull performance, especially in 3rd gear, and reported this to service and they cleaned the EGR hose. After this activity, this noise became audible during idle. No check Engine light till now. Would this be the infamous vacuum modulator issue? or any other leak?

Last edited by lal79 : 23rd June 2016 at 13:59. Reason: spelling correction
lal79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2016, 07:58   #4262
BHPian
 
timuseravan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Pune
Posts: 218
Thanked: 200 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by lal79 View Post
My S10 4WD completed 5780 KM. Now there is a new noise that is very much audible during idle. It is a "grrmm" kind of noise. When the vehicle is on move the noise is there, but the intensity is less. Earlier I faced dull performance, especially in 3rd gear, and reported this to service and they cleaned the EGR hose. After this activity, this noise became audible during idle. No check Engine light till now. Would this be the infamous vacuum modulator issue? or any other leak?
Can you record and post it?
timuseravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2016, 00:14   #4263
BHPian
 
lal79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 59
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
Can you record and post it?
Engine noise from driver seat with all doors closed and windows rolled up.

Engine noise from outside the car with bonnet open


Today I visited the service center and they told nothing unusual. But at times this noise is very loud and irritates me too much. I think I will have to play loud music.
Front passenger side power window switch is loose and it is rattling. This will be replaced in warranty. Part not in stock. SA told he placed order, I will have to followup.
lal79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2016, 15:08   #4264
Senior - BHPian
 
desertfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gurgaon, Delhi NCR
Posts: 1,178
Thanked: 514 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

My Scorpio M Hawk 4WD is now Five years and five months old and has done 54,000 KM.

For the last one month I find all 4wd lights are constantly on when I start the Scorpio, both 4W High and 4 W l green lights are constantly on 90 % of the time.

Last week when I took it off road on some mud tracks and slush after some rains here, both 4WD High and low was required to be used. While in 4H and 4L the lights indicated correctly, but once I shifted back to 2H on tarmac all the lights lit up again.
What could be a possible reason ?
desertfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2016, 21:48   #4265
BHPian
 
AshyRocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 28
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Hi Everyone,

Its been a while since I have been on this thread. But I just got the beast back from its 40k service, and thought its a good time to post here and also, get a few doubts out of the way.

The 40 k service needed the Oil replacement and brake fluid change. Oil change was the standard 6 litres along with the foam air cleaner, climafresh, filter cartridge and engine coating.

Concerns:
The brake fluid used was 1.25 litres, is that normal? I also noticed that it was billed as two seperate items. 1 for 750ml Maximile DOT 4 and another for Brake Fluid 500ml.

Noticed that they replaced the coolant, and accounted for 8 litres of Maximile Ultracool. Is that normal?

Also, they recommended brake pad [KIT caliper pad assy] change which was also done. [3689 for the kit caliper] However, is it normal to need a brake pad change at 40k? I am a fairly sedate driver with only occasional 100kmph [Once a month] runs on the Bangalore Hassan stretch when heading to Mangalore.

Also, needed a stabilizer bar bush change [one front]

Only additional labor being the fuel line cleaning, but I am not sure if it was really required. [The SA said its recommended]

So, oh learned ones, did I get fleeced? Please shine your rays of enlightenment on me!
AshyRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2016, 10:48   #4266
BHPian
 
timuseravan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Pune
Posts: 218
Thanked: 200 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by lal79 View Post
Engine noise from driver seat with all doors closed and windows rolled up.

Engine noise from outside the car with bonnet open

Today I visited the service center and they told nothing unusual. But at times this noise is very loud and irritates me too much. I think I will have to play loud music.
Its not very clear from the video but the sound does seem excessive.
I don't know if this will help, I got 3M 5 year underbody coating done and that has reduced the cabin noise appreciably.
timuseravan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2016, 12:18   #4267
BHPian
 
lal79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 59
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
Its not very clear from the video but the sound does seem excessive.
I don't know if this will help, I got 3M 5 year underbody coating done and that has reduced the cabin noise appreciably.
Under body coating was done during delivery, but not 3M. I am from Trivandrum. Here there is no 3M stores. I think I will try 3M during my next visit to Cochin
lal79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2016, 13:23   #4268
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by lal79 View Post
My S10 4WD completed 5780 KM. Now there is a new noise that is very much audible during idle. It is a "grrmm" kind of noise. When the vehicle is on move the noise is there, but the intensity is less. Earlier I faced dull performance, especially in 3rd gear, and reported this to service and they cleaned the EGR hose. After this activity, this noise became audible during idle. No check Engine light till now. Would this be the infamous vacuum modulator issue? or any other leak?
This sounds very similar to what I started facing after undertaking a long drive between Bangalore & Chennai.
To me, source appears to be somewhere below, to right of & behind Steering Wheel column, behind Fuse-Panel.
It is a rattling sound which peaks at Idling RPM & fades out at higher RPMs.
I experience it again when up-shifting at low RPMs (when Engine RPM falls to low values).

My theory is that it is something loose behind Dashboard, & it is in contact with a surface. Rattling peaks at its resonant frequency (which happens to be Engine's Idling RPM).
I have not yet taken Car for getting it checked.

First course of action I intend to take is to tape down any lose wires or wires that bend in to a loop. Specially those which are touching other surfaces. Those I believe are first suspects.

If that does not resolve, then any loose or unsupported Plastic Parts (sound does not feel like metal clanging).

Finally, I intend to get any rotating parts checked which are around Steering Wheel mechanism.

There is one thing I noticed though! Earlier I used to hear a similar sound at extremely high RPMs too (next higher resonant frequency of this thing).

Although, in your case, this sound is significantly more louder & pronounced!

I understand what you must be going through!
I heard this irritating sound non-stop from Chennai to Bangalore.

Do tell us if you were able to identify what was Root Cause of this problem & how it was fixed.
shailendrars is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2016, 18:28   #4269
BHPian
 
Styler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 304
Thanked: 104 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Hi All

I had a Spiti Trip in my 12 year old non-CRDE Scorpio without any problems at all. As a reward I got new MHAWK Headlights for the Scorpio. The old ones had turned yellow.

The new headlights are original Mahindra -Lucas MHAWK model headlights. The MHAWK are an easy exact replacement for the Headlights in the older Scorpios.
We need slight vertical adjustment to be done, my electrician and I tried buy found only one adjustment screw which did not seem to do the vertical adjustment.
We concluded that perhaps there is motorized adjustment in the MHAWK headlights, and since we have no motor installed we are unable to adjust it.
Can somebody owning a MHAWK confirm if the MHAWK Headlights have motorized adjustment or not.

If it does what is the best way to go about getting the lights adjusted without the motors ? Or should we try to get motors also installed with a switch.

Styler

Last edited by Styler : 16th July 2016 at 18:31.
Styler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2016, 20:53   #4270
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,067
Thanked: 243 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by lal79 View Post
...
Today I visited the service centre and they told nothing unusual. But at times this noise is very loud and irritates me too much....
This noise is patently abnormal and seems to be due to a bearing that is approaching failure.
I am shocked at how these service centres of our home grown manufacturers lie through their teeth!
Am I glad I don't have to deal with these abominable liars any more! In all fairness I must say that my experience with my nine years old Scorpio (which I sold last year) was not something I can complain about. But the service experience was always ghastly!
anupmathur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2016, 10:35   #4271
BHPian
 
Styler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 304
Thanked: 104 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Hi All

I had a Spiti Trip in my 12 year old non-CRDE Scorpio without any problems at all. As a reward I got new MHAWK Headlights for the Scorpio. The old ones had turned yellow.

The new headlights are original Mahindra -Lucas MHAWK model headlights. The MHAWK are an easy exact replacement for the Headlights in the older Scorpios.
We need slight vertical adjustment to be done, my electrician and I tried buy found only one adjustment screw which did not seem to do the vertical adjustment.
We concluded that perhaps there is motorized adjustment in the MHAWK headlights, and since we have no motor installed we are unable to adjust it.
Can somebody owning a MHAWK confirm if the MHAWK Headlights have motorized adjustment or not.

If it does what is the best way to go about getting the lights adjusted without the motors ? Or should we try to get motors also installed with a switch.

Styler
Somehow managed to get the Headlights aligned.

Now I have the old lights. The Right Headlight is old but undamaged and I can give it for free to anybody who needs it.
It is the light that is default in all models before the MHawk.
Styler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2016, 15:33   #4272
BHPian
 
rugsrags's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 144
Thanked: 71 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puneet.S View Post
Simply put - crappy part quality, Mahindra seems to treat modulators as if they are a consumable part..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushuaia View Post
Is there a trend ( ☺). Second time my vacuum modulator needs tossing out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipta View Post
Vaccum modulator seems to be a common part to give way. Took my BIL's scorpio for the cam last Sat and the changed within warranty. This is just a year and half old car.
Well the vacuum modulator is a defect across all their model range it seems. I'v had my rextons vacuum modulator changed atleast 3-4 times now and then i'm again looking at a replacement. For info my cars now 3 years 2 months old and done around 80k kms.
rugsrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2016, 18:42   #4273
BHPian
 
lal79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 59
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
This noise is patently abnormal and seems to be due to a bearing that is approaching failure.
Now this noise is not very evident to me. May be I got used to it. Anyway I am planning for another visit to the service center this weekend. It will be helpful to know which bearing it could be. Then I can ask them to check on those areas. Otherwise they will again tell this is very normal till something fails.
lal79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2016, 19:06   #4274
BHPian
 
AshyRocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 28
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by lal79 View Post
Now this noise is not very evident to me. May be I got used to it. Anyway I am planning for another visit to the service center this weekend. It will be helpful to know which bearing it could be. Then I can ask them to check on those areas. Otherwise they will again tell this is very normal till something fails.
I had a similar challenge with a loud knocking in the engine bay which needed two visits to the service center. First time, I think they totally didnt check it. Second time, they said an Intercooler bracket had failed causing the part to vibrate and create the noise. I was informed that they had made a temporary arrangement i.e. "jugaad" for the issue as the required part was not in stock. They assured me a call back in 2 days once they had the stock. Its now been 12k+ kilometers and 6 months since the assured call back. Incidentally when I went for the next service, they again said the part was unavailable and would let me know in 2 days. Counting 20 days now ... still counting!
AshyRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2016, 16:02   #4275
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 43
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Somehow managed to get the Headlights aligned.
Hi Styler,

Could you please provide details of how you managed to get the headlights aligned.

I too have changed headlights of my 2004 model non-CRDE Scorpio to mHawk ones, due to fading, and now find that the lights are more northward.

Thanks.
AarEmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions Rajith Technical Stuff 385 23rd November 2016 15:43
Accent / Viva CRDi: Issues & Solutions manishk83 Technical Stuff 61 13th April 2015 14:00
Child safety issues and Solutions sreenidhibr Street Experiences 55 29th April 2013 18:18


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:08.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks