Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2009, 14:35   #421
BHPian

Okay, time for some compliments. Kumar saab, I must congratulate you on the way you have recorded the service history and cost of your car. Your attention to detail is truly spectacular. I don't know your age, but you remind me of my dad. He still has most records of his first Standard Herald (which he says was a super car) and the premier padmini which he bought in 1976.

I, by the way am the complete opposite :(. I have a small question for you sir. Why did you need to change the rear propellor shaft, that too in 2006 itself and also later the steering assembly? Was it a wear and tear issue or a manufacturing one, if the latter why was it not covered in warranty?

My dad tends to feel that a bolt-on chassis is better than monocoque (which I believe the scorp is) and about 33 grand is very reasonable to have spent on suspension given your use.
shekharlele is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25th July 2009, 14:40   #422
BHPian

Oh...sorry. My mistake, you changed the shaft in 2008.
Old 25th July 2009, 14:43   #423
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekharlele View Post
I, by the way am the complete opposite :(. I have a small question for you sir. Why did you need to change the rear propellor shaft, that too in 2006 itself and also later the steering assembly? Was it a wear and tear issue or a manufacturing one, if the latter why was it not covered in warranty?

My dad tends to feel that a bolt-on chassis is better than monocoque (which I believe the scorp is) and about 33 grand is very reasonable to have spent on suspension given your use.
No, I changed only the UJ of the prop shaft in 2006. I changed the prop shaft itself in 2009 (lot of play, very often had to tighten the flange), along with the flange (the thread had worn out).

Changed the steering column (on which the steering wheel is mounted) because of worn out bearings and the resultant vibrations. Steering balancing rod assembly is still the same.

Some of the terminology used by M&M in their bills are confusing but nevertheless I have written down the same description. Only think I missed in my log book is why that part had to be changed. I am a little obsessed with preventive maintenance which is why I change parts which are subject to high wear and tear, metal fatigue, etc from time to time.

Suspension - I have changed all the rubbers roughly once 50-75,000 kms. Also link rods and tie rod ends. I have never been kind with the Scorpio, it has driven on all kinds of good and rough roads.

Last edited by hvkumar : 25th July 2009 at 14:44.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2009, 14:44   #424
BHPian

Also, your legend does not mention engine repair / issues at all. Now, this sounds like good news. Does it mean the scorpio engine is very reliable
Old 25th July 2009, 14:48   #425
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also, your legend does not mention engine repair / issues at all. Now, this sounds like good news. Does it mean the scorpio engine is very reliable
No engine repairs - not opened up the engine. Repaired one of the gaskets because of a coolant leak, that is all. Changed the turbo pipe once because of a cracked bracket.

Yes, the ASC guys say that the Scorpio engine is good for 250,000 kms +. I have no problems (touch wood) with mileage, emissions, power, all tell-tale evidence of a failing engine, so am quite happy the way it is. Someone recommended I take a compression test, which I will try during my next visit to the ASC.

My Matiz's 800cc petrol engine had to be overhauled at 155,000 kms and 2,30,000 kms, so I guess 199,000 kms and running is good life for a diesel engine.
Old 25th July 2009, 14:53   #426
Distinguished - BHPian

In case you find the engine vibration too much or the noise too loud, take a look at the engine and gear box rubber foundations, they need to be changed once every 3 years, they being rubber. Plus, check out the allens in the engine cover, they may be loose. Believe me, after attending to these 2 tasks, my engine runs so smooth, silent and my car is vibration-free.
Old 25th July 2009, 14:56   #427
BHPian

Matiz with that kind of odo is fascinating and so is your scorpio. 2 lac Kms. whew....I wonder if I will ever do that in a lifetime with all my cars combined. I needed some guidance on the following:

I drive about 20 Kms daily to office, most in heavy traffic (Lokhandwala Andheri to Andheri E) and in my hatchbacks, I just use the second gear as long as the car was in some motion by revving the engine slightly. Can I do the same with the scorp or do I need to shift down to Ist?

Just don't want to be nasty with the engine. Also, the fuel efficiency is a little worrying @ 6.5 to a litre, when my Indica gives me 8 in same traffic.
Old 25th July 2009, 15:10   #428
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, my Matiz has done 2,60,000 kms, and all the vehicles I have owned have done 1L + (Suzuki bike - 1,25,000 kms, Mahindra Commander - 1,18,000 kms, Matiz - 2,60,000 kms).

My drive is from Thane to Churchgate daily. I use the second gear as long as I can till it becomes a crawl and then continue on First gear, although I could do it in Second too. I would prefer to ride on first only - why put pressure on the clutch plate?

I get mileage (non-CRDE) of 10-11 kmpl, which is great for my driving style - I drive very fast (120 kmph) between Thane and Ghatkopar (EEH), then slow down to 60-80 kmph speeds thereafter. I zoom off on signals, guzzling lots of fuel in the process and never switch off the engine in signals or traffic jams. On the same route, my friend Guderian running a CRDE Scorpio gets 1-2 kmpl more - he is a better economist of a driver than I am.

MY best mileage is in ordinary diesel, not on Speed or Hi-Speed diesel.

I used to run my old Bridgestone tyres on 29-30 psi, but now I have increased to 32 psi on my Yokos, which give less mileage. I would experiment around with tyre pressure to suit your load and driving conditions till I get a good mileage reading. Your mileage is too low even for your driving conditions, your route is easily the worst in Bombay!

Quote:
Matiz with that kind of odo is fascinating and so is your scorpio. 2 lac Kms.

I drive about 20 Kms daily to office, most in heavy traffic (Lokhandwala Andheri to Andheri E) and in my hatchbacks, I just use the second gear as long as the car was in some motion by revving the engine slightly. Can I do the same with the scorp or do I need to shift down to Ist?

Just don't want to be nasty with the engine. Also, the fuel efficiency is a little worrying @ 6.5 to a litre, when my Indica gives me 8 in same traffic.

Last edited by hvkumar : 25th July 2009 at 15:11.
Old 25th July 2009, 15:19   #429
BHPian

I know, but I hardly get higher than 8 in my Indica / Santro which are all but little pups with 1000 cc engines while this mammoth is 2600 CC.

I wonder if this has to do with my driving style. As far as the worst stretch....you have to see it to believe it. 10 kms, takes me 1.15 to 1.30 hours in the evening. The car only runs on 2nd and for a few golden moments in 3rd.
Old 25th July 2009, 17:55   #430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I get mileage (non-CRDE) of 10-11 kmpl, which is great for my driving style - I drive very fast (120 kmph) between Thane and Ghatkopar (EEH), then slow down to 60-80 kmph speeds thereafter. I zoom off on signals, guzzling lots of fuel in the process and never switch off the engine in signals or traffic jams.
i guess some day we may definitely meet on the road. my daily drive includes ghatkopar to byculla through the EEH!
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2009, 18:25   #431
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
i guess some day we may definitely meet on the road. my daily drive includes ghatkopar to byculla through the EEH!
Here is my regular schedule:

Morning -
Thane (740 am)-Ghatkopar (805 am)-King's Circle (820 am)-Masjid (830 am)-Churchgate (840 am)

Evening -
Churchgate (600 pm)-Sewree (630 pm)-Sumanth Nagar (650 pm)-Ghatkopar (655 pm)-Thane (720 pm).

Watch out for a Black Scorpio, with team-bhp stickers in rear glass, hurrying as though there is no tomorrow.
Old 25th July 2009, 21:24   #432
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Here is my regular schedule:

Morning -
Thane (740 am)-Ghatkopar (805 am)-King's Circle (820 am)-Masjid (830 am)-Churchgate (840 am)

Evening -
Churchgate (600 pm)-Sewree (630 pm)-Sumanth Nagar (650 pm)-Ghatkopar (655 pm)-Thane (720 pm).

Watch out for a Black Scorpio, with team-bhp stickers in rear glass, hurrying as though there is no tomorrow.
i definetely will.
your morning schedule is too early for mine. i pass ghatkopar by 10.15 am & so on...
hopefully someday we will meet on our way back home. who knows, we must have passed each other some day but never realized.
Old 26th July 2009, 10:01   #433
BHPian

Hi,

The metal front number plate was making quite a racket and the bolts which held it were almost gone. Got my local mech to mouth the plate on the bumper, outside the grill which houses the horn assembly. Read this morning, that Mahindra had changed the location of the number plate to below the bumper to avoid overheating issues. Is this true? Should I remount the number plate below the bumper again? It does not cover the whole grill currently, say about 50%....
Old 26th July 2009, 11:26   #434
Senior - BHPian

yes, its true that mahindra had relocated the number plate in the newer scorpios (the model before the W-bumper scorpio). however, in my older non-CRDE scorpio, the number plate is still in the older position, that is in front of the lower grill which you mentioned & i have not faced any overheating issues.
Old 26th July 2009, 12:34   #435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
... the number plate is still in the older position, that is in front of the lower grill which you mentioned & i have not faced any overheating issues.
These changes were not prompted by users in Mumbai!
Have you ever seen 47 ambients?
Then think traffic jams and crawling traffic.
Or, the rigours of driving in those conditions with 4WD Low!!
anupmathur is online now   Reply With Quote