Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2009, 17:43   #436
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,074
Thanked: 2,022 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
These changes were not prompted by users in Mumbai!
Have you ever seen 47 ambients?
Then think traffic jams and crawling traffic.
Or, the rigours of driving in those conditions with 4WD Low!!
yes, thats true anupji. btw, my non-CRDe is now remains in kerela & not mumbai!

well, delhi cannot compete with mumbai where traffic jams are concerned! my daily drive with my non-CRDe (as well as mHawk) included covering a 3 kms incline which took 30-45 mins!!! enough heating up & clutch burning too!

yes, no 4WD though!
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2009, 18:42   #437
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 100
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Hi folks..

Met some of you on Yahoo groups. Great to see you there! I have a small question about changing my tyres...the current setup is JK Elanzo. Which tyres should I look at? Should I change to JK elanzo's itself or some other tyre like the Yokohama Geolander.

How much would the tyre cost? My budget is about 4.5 K per tyre. Would also like to know how much buy back value I would get (I know depends on condition, but as a ballpark?)

Since I am on a rather tight budget, I was wondering if I could change the front tyres to the JKs and use two of my better tyres for the rear.

What would be the disadvantages of doing this? Also, can I change just the front 2 to a better tyre such as Yokohama (maybe higher price for a better ride quality. I will be using the stock size and not doing any size upgrade.
shekharlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2009, 20:19   #438
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,079
Thanked: 251 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekharlele View Post
... I was wondering if I could change the front tyres to the JKs and use two of my better tyres for the rear.
Ah, and thereby re-kindle the old debate about whether the better tyres should be on the front or the rear wheels!
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2009, 20:55   #439
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,348 Times
Default

Quote:
I have a small question about changing my tyres...the current setup is JK Elanzo. Which tyres should I look at? Should I change to JK elanzo's itself or some other tyre like the Yokohama Geolander.

How much would the tyre cost? My budget is about 4.5 K per tyre. Would also like to know how much buy back value I would get (I know depends on condition, but as a ballpark?)

Since I am on a rather tight budget, I was wondering if I could change the front tyres to the JKs and use two of my better tyres for the rear.

What would be the disadvantages of doing this? Also, can I change just the front 2 to a better tyre such as Yokohama (maybe higher price for a better ride quality. I will be using the stock size and not doing any size upgrade.
Check out the following thread, which has a discussion on tyres for the Scorpio:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...scorpio-4.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1343476-post33.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ated-tyre.html
And this will give you an idea about JK tyres for the Scorpio

I have used Bridgestone Tubed HTs - horrible
Bridgestone Tubeless ATs - fantastic for high-speed driving
Yokos Tubeless ATs - fantastic on wet roads
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2009, 22:04   #440
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,079
Thanked: 251 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Yokos Tubeless ATs - fantastic on wet roads
Aren't these out of his budget?
Why not go with the Bridgestone tubeless option?
In fact I don't know what these cost.

I, personally, am quite happy with my Pirelli STRs. Very low noise on highways, good enough on slush and snow. All-rounders. But they are visually very disappointing!
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2009, 22:07   #441
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,348 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Aren't these out of his budget?
Why not go with the Bridgestone tubeless option?
In fact I don't know what these cost.

I, personally, am quite happy with my Pirelli STRs. Very low noise on highways, good enough on slush and snow. All-rounders. But they are visually very disappointing!
Yokos are around 6100 MRP in Bombay, and Bridgestone AT 5500 MRP. But all rates are negotiable.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 11:50   #442
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 100
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Dear Sirs,

What is the kind consensus of the group? 2 JK Elanzo's for the front, then?

AND one more thing happened this morning. The ac blower now only works on 4 setting (knew this would happen) and on speaking with the Mahindra service centre, they suggested I could get minor things done outside and it won't affect the warranty (engine, gearbox and differential).

My question now is, should I change the resistor (as the Mahindra guy suggested) and see, or should I get the blower serviced, cause that's the bit I suspect. The blower replacement cost outside is 3,500 and in the ASC is 4,500.

Will blower servicing help? Also, the noise was coming from the front passenger side blower only. Does the scorpio have multiple blowers? Plese help...
shekharlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 11:57   #443
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,348 Times
Default

My AC blower also makes higher noise than normal and ASC suggested I change the blower. I promptly ignored the suggestion, but for the slightly extra noise, blower works fine.

Don't have different brand/type tyres for different tyres.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 12:06   #444
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 100
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Kumarji,

You mean extra blower noise is fine. So I will just change the resistor and wait till the blower fails. I just wanted to know if servicing the blower would be a low cost middle of the way solution?

You must mean I should not have different brands for different axles. So, then I will just buy the JK Elanzo for the front and transfer my 'good' elanzo's to the rear.

Saves me some dough...
shekharlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 12:49   #445
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,348 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekharlele View Post
Kumarji,

You mean extra blower noise is fine. So I will just change the resistor and wait till the blower fails. I just wanted to know if servicing the blower would be a low cost middle of the way solution?
They told me they can do nothing about it - servicing won't solve the noise problem. So, I bear the noise - which is a low hum, not irritating.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 13:01   #446
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,079
Thanked: 251 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
They told me they can do nothing about it - servicing won't solve the noise problem.
They've plumbed to such depths!?
Shameless!

If it is a low hum, it could be physical obstruction to free movement of the rotor (choked with dust/leaves) or the mounting rubbers/PVC bushes.
Can't say for sure as I've never seen the assembly.
Is the speed normal?
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 13:04   #447
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,348 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
They've plumbed to such depths!?
Shameless!

If it is a low hum, it could be physical obstruction to free movement of the rotor (choked with dust/leaves) or the mounting rubbers/PVC bushes.
Can't say for sure as I've never seen the assembly.
Is the speed normal?
No, speed is quite normal and despite cleaning the AC system once every 8-12 months, the noise does not go away, so it is not a problem with dirt or dust.

Not surprising about Mahindra ASCs - when I had an engine oil leak, they said I must change the engine gaskets, I finally traced it to loose allens!
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 13:16   #448
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,079
Thanked: 251 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
.... and despite cleaning the AC system once every 8-12 months, the noise does not go away,
Once again:

Have you been getting this cleaning done every 8 to 12 months?!
Why?
As a preventive maintenance measure?
Did this noise start before or after such a cleaning?
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 13:24   #449
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 100
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Hi folks,

I will be changing the resistor today at my local mech. Also need a bolt for the sump guard. Let's hope the old bolt has just fallen off and is not rusted inside....otherwise it'll be a bigger job!
shekharlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 13:29   #450
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,079
Thanked: 251 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekharlele View Post
Let's hope the old bolt has just fallen off and is not rusted inside....otherwise it'll be a bigger job!
Almost certainly the old bolt fell off! It doesn't happen that the head falls off leaving the shank inside, except through manual intervention!

Best of luck. It should go smoothly ....
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions Rajith Technical Stuff 429 12th October 2017 09:35
Accent / Viva CRDi: Issues & Solutions manishk83 Technical Stuff 61 13th April 2015 14:00
Child safety issues and Solutions sreenidhibr Street Experiences 55 29th April 2013 18:18


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:01.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks