Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2009, 10:23   #601
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,345 Times
Default

I had problems with my balancing rod even during my North East trip in April. So I had all the nuts and bushes changed before this Ladakh trip. By teh time I reached Padum, the bush and the nuts in the LHS came off, but the balamncing rod retained its posture held on by the nuts on the RHS.

I had to continue retightening the balancing rod nuts throughout the trip every second day.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2009, 13:34   #602
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,076
Thanked: 249 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
...
I had to continue retightening the balancing rod nuts throughout the trip every second day.
HVK, try Loctite Studlock or replace the nut with a self-locking one (the kind that have a plastic insert at the top end).
Aren't M&M using spring-washers for these fasteners?!
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2009, 13:51   #603
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,345 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
HVK, try Loctite Studlock or replace the nut with a self-locking one (the kind that have a plastic insert at the top end).
Aren't M&M using spring-washers for these fasteners?!
Thanks, will try this solution. No spring washers, simple washer only, and the problem was compounded when the ASC guys in Guwahati could not fit the standard nuts and my Bombay ASC did not even have the standard nuts when I visited them the first round (got it fixed later)!

Another problem that has tormented me is the link rod on the LHS. The rubber bush was worn out and the rod itself bent when I checked before my trip. To my horror, when I did my inspection at Leh, the rubbers were frayed again and I replaced them. Back in Bombay, I find that they are in a bad shape again and I have to replace them once again. That will make 3 link rod replacements in 1 month! Very clearly a problem with workmanship at ASCs, can't believe that there is a design or engineering flaw.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2009, 14:11   #604
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,076
Thanked: 249 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
.... Very clearly a problem with workmanship at ASCs, ......
Very likely it is poor quality rubber! None of the home grown makers seem willing to spend the requisite amount for decent rubber!
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2009, 15:57   #605
BHPian
 
amanmalhotra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 60
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingaboysr View Post


2) This story seems funny but its true. i'd parked my scorpio beside a road and was sitting in it. A passerby pedestrian walked by and touched his shoulder with the right OVRM slightly, and thud!! the entire mirror just came off!!!! there is supposed to be a backward motion for the mirror ( the new one in refresh) but it just did not happen, rather it just came off. i plastered it and took it to the ***. They checked it and told that the inner something is broken and the entire set need to be replaced for 2k!!!!!!! I never knew that for a vehicle that is supposed to do off roading, the mirrors were such a delicate thing!!!! Can this be some manufacturing defect? Do I have to pay for it? The worst part is that they are out of stock, so i still drive around with it plastered.. Like my scorpio had a finger fracture!!!!

Faced the same issue, just the difference was there was a drunk guy who for absolutely no reason wanted to feel my wing mirror while the car was in motion, the whole mirror came down hanging.
Next day took it to A.S.S. and was told that they will have to replace the entire set.
They said that they would keep the mirror painted and stuff and I should come back in the evening. In the evening, I looked at the mirror and realized that it was looking different. They said yes, it looks different, that is when we realized that it was the mirror of Xylo.
Anyways, they then found out that they had the mirror of Scorpio, and they can remove the painted portion from the old piece and put it on the new piece.
The whole exercise cost me 1500 or so.
amanmalhotra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 13:51   #606
Newbie
 
Shankarcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 6
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

I have taken delivery of my new scorpio VLX couple of weeks back. Ever since,it came out of the workshop, the tyretronics in the panel keeps beeping shoiwng that the rear left tyre has low pressure. I have checked this at many pumps and the tyre press is 32PSi as prescribed by M&M.
I have not complained as yet since this is not going to make any difference to the running of the vehicle. However, the beep warning can be quite irritating if you are driving long. Is there any solution to fix this or is it that we need to caliberate the tyretronics system?
Shankar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpWarp View Post
Friends,

I am getting delivery of my Scorpio tomorrow.


I had asked for Bridgestone tyres, the car came with JK so insisted them to change. They changed all 4 wheels to Bridgestone and that is when the problem started.

I went to workshop today and found out that the rear-left tyre tronics is not set. It shows low pressure although the pressure is correct and emits that warning sound all the time.
I asked the workshop people to fix it. They have now come back and said that they have reset everything (god knows what that means) and the sensors would get calibrated automatically after I drive 100 KMs. If not they have assured personally to come and fix. This does not sound logical to me.

I was in workshop in person and saw them replacing the faulty tyre with spare wheel but still no luck. So I guess the problem is with electronics and not the actual wheels.

So am I being taken for a ride by the dealer ? Is it big enough reson not to take the delivery tomorrow? Can it fixed easily later? Please advice as soon as possible, I need to decide before noon tomorrow (Dasssera)?

Thanks in advace.
Shankarcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 15:19   #607
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: London
Posts: 411
Thanked: 477 Times
Default

For the past few months it was becoming rather difficult to drive in the night as the headlight of the opposite vehicle was spreading in my windshield, opposite headlights looked kind of flowery light when you have lot of scratchs on the windshield.

Was thinking if there is something wrong with my windshield or my eyes, as I take care of both very well.

Two weeks ago when I have left my Scorpio in the service centre for minor repair, I noticied something horrifying. The service center guys after washing the vehicle used emery paper to clean all the glasses including the windshield. Its basically to remove the salt deposits on the glasses if you are using water straight from a borewell. But emery paper on Windshield??

As I drive a lot during night its becoming very difficult in the two lane highways and in rain. A new windshield costs around Rs.11000\-.

Please let me know if there is a way to repair this.
chandrda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 15:31   #608
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,053
Thanked: 5,296 Times
Default

wow thats some amount of mileage done in the Scorpio!
I ve done about 1/10th of what you've done (give or take) in mine but am inspired to hang on to the Scorpio for the long term!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
My car has clocked over 2,09,000 kms.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 20:20   #609
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3,854
Thanked: 123 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
... Two weeks ago when I have left my Scorpio in the service centre for minor repair, I noticied something horrifying. The service center guys after washing the vehicle used emery paper to clean all the glasses including the windshield. Its basically to remove the salt deposits on the glasses if you are using water straight from a borewell. But emery paper on Windshield??...
Chandrda,

It would be great if you can share which service center did this? I am sure the other Scorpio owners in Bangalore might appreciate it.

Emery paper on the windshield? Wow!!!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 21:37   #610
BHPian
 
ScorpWarp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 56
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankarcv View Post
I have taken delivery of my new scorpio VLX couple of weeks back. Ever since,it came out of the workshop, the tyretronics in the panel keeps beeping shoiwng that the rear left tyre has low pressure. I have checked this at many pumps and the tyre press is 32PSi as prescribed by M&M.
I have not complained as yet since this is not going to make any difference to the running of the vehicle. However, the beep warning can be quite irritating if you are driving long. Is there any solution to fix this or is it that we need to caliberate the tyretronics system?
Shankar
Shankarcv: The problem can be fixed altogh not as easily outside thw workshop. The voice warning can be suppressed, press the reset switch in the glove box during the warning or ask the technician to do it. The tyre tronics needs to be learned if they have changed the tyre positions. The detailed procedure is in the manual but better left to the worshop people.

Also there is calibration error in most of the pumps so notice the difference in the pressure reading on the tyre tronics and at the fuel pumps and try to adjust accordingly. The technicians should be able to fix it if you can not - complain.
ScorpWarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 22:54   #611
BHPian
 
Strangerintown's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 168
Thanked: 39 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
For the past few months it was becoming rather difficult to drive in the night as the headlight of the opposite vehicle was spreading in my windshield, opposite headlights looked kind of flowery light when you have lot of scratchs on the windshield.

Was thinking if there is something wrong with my windshield or my eyes, as I take care of both very well.

Two weeks ago when I have left my Scorpio in the service centre for minor repair, I noticied something horrifying. The service center guys after washing the vehicle used emery paper to clean all the glasses including the windshield. Its basically to remove the salt deposits on the glasses if you are using water straight from a borewell. But emery paper on Windshield??

As I drive a lot during night its becoming very difficult in the two lane highways and in rain. A new windshield costs around Rs.11000\-.

Please let me know if there is a way to repair this.
Get the windscreen polished by the Glasspolish people. I got my 6 year old Indica windscreen polished and it was almost like new . I guess that would remove the micro scratches that the emery paper would have caused. See Glass Polish India Ltd - Advanced Professional Glass and Plastic Repair for further details. (I don't work for or represent Glasspolish in any way!).
Strangerintown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 16:43   #612
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: London
Posts: 411
Thanked: 477 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
For the past few months it was becoming rather difficult to drive in the night as the headlight of the opposite vehicle was spreading in my windshield, opposite headlights looked kind of flowery light when you have lot of scratchs on the windshield.

Was thinking if there is something wrong with my windshield or my eyes, as I take care of both very well.

Two weeks ago when I have left my Scorpio in the service centre for minor repair, I noticied something horrifying. The service center guys after washing the vehicle used emery paper to clean all the glasses including the windshield. Its basically to remove the salt deposits on the glasses if you are using water straight from a borewell. But emery paper on Windshield??

As I drive a lot during night its becoming very difficult in the two lane highways and in rain. A new windshield costs around Rs.11000\-.

Please let me know if there is a way to repair this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Chandrda,

It would be great if you can share which service center did this? I am sure the other Scorpio owners in Bangalore might appreciate it.

Emery paper on the windshield? Wow!!!
Hi HappyWheels

Its Sireesh Auto on Hosur Road, other Scorpio owner going to Sireesh Auto should be careful
chandrda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 16:56   #613
Senior - BHPian
 
Rahulk76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: PNQ
Posts: 1,132
Thanked: 204 Times
Default

Chandrda.. Did your tyre issue / vibrations get resolved yet ?
Rahulk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 17:05   #614
Senior - BHPian
 
sdp1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,566
Thanked: 874 Times
Default

Is water splashing on the Scorp windshield a known problem ?

Yahoo! Groups
sdp1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 17:31   #615
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,053
Thanked: 5,296 Times
Default

this is an old problem which used to be common on Bolero and Scorpio

They tried to set it right by introducing those weird little front additions to the bumper - rather like a skirt front at the bottom of the bumper.

in the bolero these were pretty tacky as on the earlier scorpio of say last year - these little additions were simply stuck on to the bumper.

now with the new refresh model, these have been integrated into the bumper design along with the name SCORPIO etched on the cladding near the rear doors.

however, this is no guarantee that the water wont splash onto the front bonnet and windscreen when going through big puddles on the roads.

this used to be a problem with the old gypsy and the Sierra as well - and to my certain knowledge a couple of people I know solved it by putting those plastic/ pvs mudflaps in front of the tyres in between the tyres and the front of the wheel well. that worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Is water splashing on the Scorp windshield a known problem ?

Yahoo! Groups
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions Rajith Technical Stuff 422 13th July 2017 19:16
Accent / Viva CRDi: Issues & Solutions manishk83 Technical Stuff 61 13th April 2015 14:00
Child safety issues and Solutions sreenidhibr Street Experiences 55 29th April 2013 18:18


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:22.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks