Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 21st May 2010, 20:37   #1321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Jack the vehicle up and shake the silencer pipe before the rear propeller shaft. It will shake. You have to get tighten it. Better to put some mseal at the packing area and then tighten it.

I had the same issue.
Thanks Red Liner - will check and fix it.

@ Spike - Thanks for the advice
wads78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 18:04   #1322
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wads78 View Post
i have noticed that there is a hummm.. noise when u drive at low speeds (low RPM) as if the silencer is vibrating and touching the body or chasis. Has anyone else noticed this on theirs? or is it just mine and i should get it checked. I just clocked 700 Kms.

Thanks
Is it a vibration? I have a bad vibration issue with at rps below 1500 and have tracked it down to something in the rear door. I removed the rear door pads and put an extra layer of sponge between the pad and the door. This didn't help, I now think it is coming from the rear wiper motor assembly.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 18:30   #1323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wads78 View Post
Guys,

Bought a scorpio almost 2 weeks ago.. i have noticed that there is a hummm.. noise when u drive at low speeds (low RPM) as if the silencer is vibrating and touching the body or chasis. Has anyone else noticed this on theirs? or is it just mine and i should get it checked. I just clocked 700 Kms.

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Is it a vibration? I have a bad vibration issue with at rps below 1500 and have tracked it down to something in the rear door. I removed the rear door pads and put an extra layer of sponge between the pad and the door. This didn't help, I now think it is coming from the rear wiper motor assembly.
Had got rid of a similar issue when i had to insert sponge pads between the rear number plate and the door !!
roamingrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 20:07   #1324
BHPian

I'm plannin to go for 4WD (I guess I have to go VLX way only).
I read the GC is only 180!! Guys, is that enough! I'm not saying that we are going to do lot of off-road stuff here but then even for some occasional maneuver off the road, we may need higher GC for such a vehicle!

Have you guys found this as a big issue? Especially those who owns it for longer time and have done enough trips / off the beatan track!!!

Last edited by Ketan : 22nd May 2010 at 20:16.
Ketan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 20:32   #1325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
I read the GC is only 180!! Guys, is that enough! I'm not saying that we are going to do lot of off-road stuff here but then even for some occasional maneuver off the road, we may need higher GC for such a vehicle!
Ketan, that is the minimum GC specified! That means with designed payload.
While I would have liked another 20 or 30 mm, can't say I've found this to be problematic! Have done Leh etc. and not had any problem.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 20:36   #1326
BHPian

Do you mean the actual with no footrails and when not fully loaded it will be more by few mms?
I read its the same as some hatch! even FordFusion has got around 195is or so.
Old 22nd May 2010, 20:39   #1327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... even FordFusion has got around 195 or so.
Hehe, but it does not have 4WD!!
Relax! Go for the 4WD Scorpio. You'll enjoy it.

And anyway a Fusion is possibly better from the GC point of view!
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 22:10   #1328
BHPian

Thanks Mathursaab,

I will go for a testride by next week or so. For now, going thru the 'All T-bhp scorp owner's pics' thread and some tech threads to know more about the vehicle. I was for an SUV last year where I was looking for 4x4 Safari, but later had to drop the plans for some reason and what I learned so far is Scorp has got a few advantages that made me start looking at Scorp.

-price diff on 4WD versions
-Mahindra reliability and service
-engine refinement and more features on topend version

sorry for being a bit OT, I dont want to deviate from the topic. Lets conitnue discussing Scorp issues and how do you guys come to a solutions for them.
Old 23rd May 2010, 09:18   #1329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you mean the actual with no footrails and when not fully loaded it will be more by few mms?
I read its the same as some hatch! even FordFusion has got around 195is or so.
this is one area where people get confused more often.buddy, a GC is measured from the ground to the lowest point of the body.

in a hatch, the lowest point is the chassis itself or maybe some other component.

but in a SUV, the lowest point in the rear differential, that hangs a lot below the chassis. so the actual GC will be a lot more than 180mm. since the rear differential is aligned with the rear wheels, it will never come in contact with any obstacle below as it will rise & dip along with the rear wheels.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2010, 12:41   #1330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post
Had got rid of a similar issue when i had to insert sponge pads between the rear number plate and the door !!
I am pretty sure its not the number plate vibration causing the noise. In fact i sat in the third row seats and i could feel the exhaust pipe vibrating right below my feet. So i am pretty sure its the exhaust pipe at the rear end.
wads78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 08:05   #1331
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys have a few queries regarding my SLE.

1)The doors do not lock automatically,when the vehicle starts moving,i have to lock them manually everytime,they are supposed to lock themselves,arent they?

2)The Glow plug and Door open indicators are there,but they dont light up?

3)There is no mention anywhere regarding idling before moving and shutting down the engine,do we have to follow this everytime?

4)The remote for central locking has a option button,what is this for?,i didnot get any manual for it.

5)Are there any kind of small mats available for the cubby holes and bottle holders in the centre console?

Last edited by akshay4587 : 25th May 2010 at 08:15.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 09:11   #1332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Hi guys have a few queries regarding my SLE.

1)The doors do not lock automatically,when the vehicle starts moving,i have to lock them manually everytime,they are supposed to lock themselves,arent they?
no. you wil have to set that option from your nippon remote.

Quote:
2)The Glow plug and Door open indicators are there,but they dont light up?
i dont recollect the door open indicator in my scorpio too, i will just check.

Quote:
3)There is no mention anywhere regarding idling before moving and shutting down the engine,do we have to follow this everytime?
yes, its better for the turbo.

Quote:
4)The remote for central locking has a option button,what is this for?,i did not get any manual for it.
to activate & de-activate various options like auto door locking, impact sensors, etc. PM me your mail id & i will send you the nippon manual.

Quote:
5)Are there any kind of small mats available for the cubby holes and bottle holders in the centre console?
you can ask the people who makes leather seat covers, they do this on request.
Old 25th May 2010, 09:17   #1333
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Raj
I Have PM'ed you my email address.
Another query,i opened the glove box,and found that there are two buttons,one for VAS,what is the other one for?
AFAIK Pre refresh had them,to change the code for Immobilizer.
Attaching a Pic of the same.
asking all this as i have been provided a user manual of the VLX,have returned it and asked to provide a SLE one.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-dsc00043.jpg  

Last edited by akshay4587 : 25th May 2010 at 09:21.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 09:37   #1334
Senior - BHPian

hi akash. yes, one is for the VAS & other is for the immobilizer code.

since, refresh scorpios already come with i-CAT with their unique codes, i wonder why is that button used now? i also confirmed this at my A.S.S that the refresh scorpios dont require their codes to be changed.

how about writing a mail to mahindra? this would clear all confusions.
Old 25th May 2010, 10:30   #1335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post

to activate & de-activate various options like auto door locking, impact sensors, etc. PM me your mail id & i will send you the nippon manual.
Raj, I too would need the Nippon manual, they did not provide it for me while taking the delivery of the Scorpio. I have sent you my mail ID through PM, please check.
Anoop RD is offline   Reply With Quote