Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2010, 13:37   #1381
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,368
Thanked: 3,325 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
With your kind of travels I think it would be prudent for you to get one fabricated using checkered aluminum sheets
Not a bad idea, but that is simply too expensive! I am now searching the dump yards of Bombay for a sump guard! Once the rains start, the mud that will get splattered inside the engine bay from below is going to make it very messy.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 14:09   #1382
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,547
Thanked: 1,121 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Hariya's first hiccup, or was it??

On the way back from Munnar last evening I deliberately pushed Hariya to his full speed of around 155kmph on the NICE road to check his health. After around 5 minutes of running on full throttle, the engine check light came on. I reduced the speed, parked him and gave him a good 5 minutes of idle before turning off the engine. Also checked the engine hoses, belts and packings for any signs of oil leaks, pressure leaks etc.

I then turned the engine on. No light this time. I again pushed him all the way to check once again. No light.

Any inputs folks??

PS: He had his 35k service 1000 kms ago.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 14:18   #1383
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,368
Thanked: 3,325 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
On the way back from Munnar last evening I deliberately pushed Hariya to his full speed of around 155kmph on the NICE road to check his health. After around 5 minutes of running on full throttle, the engine check light came on. I reduced the speed, parked him and gave him a good 5 minutes of idle before turning off the engine. Also checked the engine hoses, belts and packings for any signs of oil leaks, pressure leaks etc.

I then turned the engine on. No light this time. I again pushed him all the way to check once again. No light.

Any inputs folks??

PS: He had his 35k service 1000 kms ago.
I think it must be a diesel flow issue only, fuel starvation, maybe due to a choked diesel filter. My car does not have the ECU or sensors (non-crde 2005), but I have faced a similar problem in my ECU Matiz car.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 14:27   #1384
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,547
Thanked: 1,121 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I think it must be a diesel flow issue only, fuel starvation, maybe due to a choked diesel filter. My car does not have the ECU or sensors (non-crde 2005), but I have faced a similar problem in my ECU Matiz car.
Yeah, looks like it. The filter is anyway due for replacement at 40k. Do you suggest I replace it right away or wait another 5k kms??
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 14:27   #1385
BHPian
 
prithvi_seln's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CHENNAI
Posts: 72
Thanked: 9 Times
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivapsreddy View Post
Thanks a lot for your suggestion. I will not take these from M&M.

I am also in the process of searching for ART leather PU based seat covers for my would be newbee scorpio vlx 8str, i had a chat with couple of our BHP ians yesterday and today. (nitrous and mission_safari.)

If you are looking for art leather seat covers
suggestions are

Haiton in mogappair - mission safari has installed in his scorpio (i think the cost in 12 K ) get the details from his thread

Gsport - may cost anywhere between 8-10K

autoform - is good - you can get it at jeewajee in gp road or anna nagar

autokame, jack speed are the other brands and other shops out Team BHPians have recommended are
Adamjee - royapetah
Car Jewels - anna nagar
Gaylook (Seat Zone) in peters road
Choice seat zone in royapettah
prithvi_seln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 14:33   #1386
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,368
Thanked: 3,325 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Yeah, looks like it. The filter is anyway due for replacement at 40k. Do you suggest I replace it right away or wait another 5k kms??
I think you should change it rightaway - costs nothing and takes little time. I guess your mileage also may have fallen.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 14:54   #1387
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,547
Thanked: 1,121 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I think you should change it rightaway - costs nothing and takes little time. I guess your mileage also may have fallen.
Not really, was able to get a decent 12.xx kmpl on the trip. Wondering why.....
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 17:12   #1388
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,067
Thanked: 243 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Yeah, looks like it. The filter is anyway due for replacement at 40k. Do you suggest I replace it right away or wait another 5k kms??
I had it replaced at the 20K service.
When you travel out of town often you must expect diesel quality to be poor!
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 17:49   #1389
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,018
Thanked: 360 Times
Default

@devdat ; Your ECU must have stored the last error code untill it is erased which A.S.S can read out, It is not necessary that Check engine light should remain on IMHO.

If Diesel filter is using sensors then it will not be as cheap as what it was for older generation engines ( in range of few hundred rupees) and you should replace only if error code is related to fuel system.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 10:12   #1390
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,547
Thanked: 1,121 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
@devdat ; Your ECU must have stored the last error code untill it is erased which A.S.S can read out, It is not necessary that Check engine light should remain on IMHO.

If Diesel filter is using sensors then it will not be as cheap as what it was for older generation engines ( in range of few hundred rupees) and you should replace only if error code is related to fuel system.
Well, people have been telling me that the filter costs INR 800.00 approximately. If it is so, I do not mind replacing it straight away, else, I will need to check the error code and then go ahead. Moreover I will anyway have the code checked this weekend.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 10:17   #1391
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,018
Thanked: 360 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Well, people have been telling me that the filter costs INR 800.00 approximately. If it is so, I do not mind replacing it straight away, else, I will need to check the error code and then go ahead. Moreover I will anyway have the code checked this weekend.
That's really cheap if I compare this to Delphi Fuel Filter it costs approx 2500 Rs with replacement interval of 30K.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 11:28   #1392
BHPian
 
Strangerintown's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 161
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranga View Post
Strange case of Water collecting in the right side of M Hawk

All ,

I have a strange problem of water getting collected in some right side part of the car . When i go in slow speeds on the road hump , i can hear water moving around some part of the car . I had passed my car for 2 service and this was rectified . Now this problem resurfaced once we had heavy rains in Bangalore . Has any one found this problem in any of the other M Hawks ? Mine is Nov 11 2009 Model
Could be water accumulated in one of the doors. Check the drain holes under the doors and clear them of any debris that might be blocking them. Water can enter the doors during washing or in rains and would accumulate if the drain holes are choked.
Strangerintown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 12:37   #1393
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 100
Thanked: Once
Default Water woes

Hi,

My scorpio has a water leakage problem on the left passenger side. This is not to do with the Ac as it happens only when it rains (heavily) or the car is pressure washed. The water seems to be coming in from near the ac blower (behind the glove compartment)...the recent monsoon check at the ASC confirmed the leak, but they did not have the time to diagnose. I have already got all door channels as well as the one near the windscreen (below the plastic grill near wipers) cleaned.

My FNG says it is common with many cars and says he needs to 'block' the outside air vent. He has given me a quote for 8 grand including ac service which he says will have to be done as this activity might involve gas leakage.

I find this very high. Can the learned men here throw some light on this?
shekharlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 12:46   #1394
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,368
Thanked: 3,325 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekharlele View Post
Hi,

My scorpio has a water leakage problem on the left passenger side. This is not to do with the Ac as it happens only when it rains (heavily) or the car is pressure washed. The water seems to be coming in from near the ac blower (behind the glove compartment)...the recent monsoon check at the ASC confirmed the leak, but they did not have the time to diagnose. I have already got all door channels as well as the one near the windscreen (below the plastic grill near wipers) cleaned.

My FNG says it is common with many cars and says he needs to 'block' the outside air vent. He has given me a quote for 8 grand including ac service which he says will have to be done as this activity might involve gas leakage.

I find this very high. Can the learned men here throw some light on this?
Sounds like a weird explanation, I have never had any such problems despite my having an old car.

Why don't you check out if any water is leaking through the vents outside the windshields, maybe there is some crack/gap below that.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 20:02   #1395
Senior - BHPian
 
mooza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,029
Thanked: 225 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Has anyone tried retrofitting a center headrest/support for the 2nd row of the scorp' ?
I am purely doing this for the passengers safety
@rjstyles, any update on this? I am interested in doing this in my beast too, if it has worked out well in your Scorpio.
mooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions Rajith Technical Stuff 385 23rd November 2016 15:43
Accent / Viva CRDi: Issues & Solutions manishk83 Technical Stuff 61 13th April 2015 14:00
Child safety issues and Solutions sreenidhibr Street Experiences 55 29th April 2013 18:18


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:06.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks