Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 24th May 2011, 13:34   #1
BHPian

Default Aftermarket Radiator for Cedia

The radiator in my Brother's Cedia has developed leakages and as per Mitsubishi A.S.S, needs to be replaced. They have to order stock from Japan and will take around 3 weeks for it to be available. The cost quoted was around 11K.
  • Is there any aftermarket Radiator available in the market here in Bangalore that would fit a Cedia? Or it is specific to Cedia?
  • If yes, can I get it replaced at a local garage?
  • Can the radiator be repaired locally?
  • Any other options?
The car was running just fine and one evening stalled and there was smoke from the bonnet. A local mechanic identified the issue as no coolant in the radiator and there was a leak. The car is running normally after water was filled in the radiator. Hence I guess its a gradual leak.

Any specific details/comments on this from the experts? Thanks.
Maibaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 14:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Aftermarket Radiator for Cedia

How sure are you that there is a leak, a loose fitting radiator cap could also cause the same problems.

A good mech should be able to get a copper core radiator made for you matching the original size of the cedia radiator (note: Am not sure if it is a combined radiator+condensor if so please wait for the original.)
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 14:37   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
How sure are you that there is a leak, a loose fitting radiator cap could also cause the same problems.

A good mech should be able to get a copper core radiator made for you matching the original size of the cedia radiator (note: Am not sure if it is a combined radiator+condensor if so please wait for the original.)

Its not the case of a loose fitting radiator cap. The service Engineer has confirmed that the radiator has damage both at the top and the bottom. Even the local mechanic was mentioning of the leak.

Now I am still not sure how a radiator get damaged under normal running conditions!
Old 24th May 2011, 15:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maibaa View Post
Now I am still not sure how a radiator get damaged under normal running conditions!
Most of the radiator problems I have seen tend to happen at the press fit joins between the fibre casing and the aluminium body of the radiator(I am facing the same issue too) over a period of time.
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 15:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

@Maibaa, I recently sourced aftermarket brake pads for cedia from a Kashmere Gate (Delhi) wholesaler and I believe they have other parts for cedia too. They supply all over the world. here's the link

Car Parts - Spare Parts Car Spare Parts Supplier Auto parts Exporters India

Please note, I gave cash on delivery as I am in delhi itself.

You may press HM and ask for radiator from assembly line vehicle, it shouldn't be a problem.

Also, I wont be astonished if the radiator in cedia is similar to the one in lancer, if not same. Check that option as well.

lastly, most radiator leaks are repairable if they are from top/bottom joints.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 24th May 2011 at 15:45.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 17:58   #6
BHPian

@gaurav. Can you reveal the price you paid for this radiator?
How many km has your vehicle done, that it has asked for this change?
Can you indicate the location of this shop at Kashmere Gate?
susan3004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 19:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
@gaurav. Can you reveal the price you paid for this radiator?
No, No.. I didnt have any problem with the radiator and neither did I replace it. I just bought front brake pads for cedia from them. And they said, if I need any other part in future, I can contact them. If fact, they called me next day to ask if I want to get them installed installed from their shop in rohini, but I had already got them installed from my local mechanic.

Quote:
How many km has your vehicle done,?
I have done 70k kms plus on my car with absolute trouble free ownership. Detailed reviews can be found here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...0k-update.html

Quote:
Can you indicate the location of this shop at Kashmere Gate?
Actually they delived pads to nearest metro station and I handed the cash there and then after checking the pads.

And lastly, all credit for link goes to Bhpian Sushrutha, who posted the link on civic maintenance thread.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 24th May 2011 at 19:10.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 19:37   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
@Maibaa, I recently sourced aftermarket brake pads for cedia from a Kashmere Gate (Delhi) wholesaler and I believe they have other parts for cedia too. They supply all over the world. here's the link

Car Parts - Spare Parts Car Spare Parts Supplier Auto parts Exporters India

Please note, I gave cash on delivery as I am in delhi itself.

You may press HM and ask for radiator from assembly line vehicle, it shouldn't be a problem.

Also, I wont be astonished if the radiator in cedia is similar to the one in lancer, if not same. Check that option as well.

lastly, most radiator leaks are repairable if they are from top/bottom joints.
@Gaurav - Thanks for the information. I will get more details from the service engineer and post an update. Meanwhile I will also check the link you provided.

The problem with asking for a radiator from Assembly line vehicle is, there may not be any vehicle on the assembly line given the sales numbers HM is reporting every month. But will check for the same.
Old 24th May 2011, 22:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maibaa View Post
The problem with asking for a radiator from Assembly line vehicle is, there may not be any vehicle on the assembly line given the sales numbers HM is reporting every month. But will check for the same.
They will have atleast few cars in the factory, 5-10-15?? getting one radiator shouldnt be an issue...if they really want to.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 23:11   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
They will have atleast few cars in the factory, 5-10-15?? getting one radiator shouldnt be an issue...if they really want to.
In Bangalore, since Southern Motors have shut shop, some of the service engineers have moved to SVR motors which is the only service center in Bangalore. I know some of these people from past interaction during service of my Cedia. Will try to see if there is a possibility of getting one from the factory.
Old 25th May 2011, 01:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

There are any number of radiator repair shops ; and they'll repair your radiator for sure.

However, the Corolla radiator could be a good alternative ,if dimensions more or less match the Cedia's ,given that both engines are almost of the same capacity
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote