Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2011, 12:27   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
stanjohn123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: TN 75
Posts: 1,063
Thanked: 392 Times
Smile A few Qs regarding my rented 2010 Porsche Carrera 4 S!

Hi T-bhp,

I have the 2010 Porsche Carrera 4 S right now(Rented). I have a few doubts first of which is quite silly. I want to fold my side view mirrors but could not find any switch within the car to do so. I can do it with my hand manually from outside but I'm scared i may break it as it may not be foldable.

Another thing is does anyone know if this car has launch control like in the Nissan Gt-R, if so please guide me through how to activate it. And why is the rear tire kicking out in heavy acceleration under sport mode, I thought that mode firms up the suspension and is more track ready but it did kick out when i was on a round about.

Your inputs will be highly appreciated.Thanks.Stani.
stanjohn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 18:33   #2
Team-BHP Support
 
Rehaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 22,364
Thanked: 22,566 Times
Default re: A few Qs regarding my rented 2010 Porsche Carrera 4 S!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
I want to fold my side view mirrors but could not find any switch within the car to do so.
Chances are there is no way to fold them automatically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Another thing is does anyone know if this car has launch control like in the Nissan Gt-R, if so please guide me through how to activate it.
Doubt it for the 4S...

Will point suhaas307 to this thread, as maybe he has some more info on the above 2 points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
And why is the rear tire kicking out in heavy acceleration under sport mode, I thought that mode firms up the suspension and is more track ready but it did kick out when i was on a round about.
Sports mode might firm up the suspension; reducing body roll and making the car handle better, but i think you're mistaken in thinking that it would give you more grip, or better traction in a situation like the one you've described. Turning sport mode could also do a lot of other things, most of which will probably make it more likely for the car to kick its tail out on a corner.

For example (a generalized list) :
- Faster (ie more violent) shifts @ higher RPM (Virtually all cars with a real sport mode)
- Unlock some more HP from the engine (eg. M5)
- Sharpen up the steering
- Reduce the interference threshold of the traction control (rare, as usually its an independent control)

All of the above + the driver's additional enthusiasm make it more likely for the tail to come around in sport mode! Not to mention, in this case you are driving a 911 - with all its weight at the back, notorious for a swinging tail, though less so in the newer models.

Have fun,
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th May 2011 at 18:36.
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2011, 02:54   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
stanjohn123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: TN 75
Posts: 1,063
Thanked: 392 Times
Smile Re: A few Qs regarding my rented 2010 Porsche Carrera 4 S!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

Sports mode might firm up the suspension; reducing body roll and making the car handle better, but i think you're mistaken in thinking that it would give you more grip, or better traction in a situation like the one you've described. Turning sport mode could also do a lot of other things, most of which will probably make it more likely for the car to kick its tail out on a corner.

For example (a generalized list) :
- Faster (ie more violent) shifts @ higher RPM (Virtually all cars with a real sport mode)
- Unlock some more HP from the engine (eg. M5)
- Sharpen up the steering
- Reduce the interference threshold of the traction control (rare, as usually its an independent control)

All of the above + the driver's additional enthusiasm make it more likely for the tail to come around in sport mode! Not to mention, in this case you are driving a 911 - with all its weight at the back, notorious for a swinging tail, though less so in the newer models.

Have fun,
R
Thanks Rehaan, yes you're absolutely right. I just found out sport mode does not give any traction at all , yippee . I did some cool donuts in that mode, will post the videos this week after the review.

Yes the acceleration and steering feedback is awesome in sports mode , throttle response is almost instantaneous. In normal mode there is a lag which is cool since it gives us a raspy notorious sound from the exhaust just before take off.

Honestly for normal road driving I'm pretty scared to drive the carrera in Sports mode , there is no way of controlling anyones heavy foot, the car just tempts you to put her through paces and in turn kick the tail out.

Simply mind blowing car.
stanjohn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2011, 10:42   #4
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,053
Thanked: 6,597 Times
Default Re: A few Qs regarding my rented 2010 Porsche Carrera 4 S!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Hi T-bhp,

I have the 2010 Porsche Carrera 4 S right now(Rented). I have a few doubts first of which is quite silly. I want to fold my side view mirrors but could not find any switch within the car to do so. I can do it with my hand manually from outside but I'm scared i may break it as it may not be foldable.
As far as I know, the switch is located on the door-panel/other side of the mirror. Do check and see if the switch is a part of the mirror-adjuster. More often than not, it is a part of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Another thing is does anyone know if this car has launch control like in the Nissan Gt-R, if so please guide me through how to activate it. And why is the rear tire kicking out in heavy acceleration under sport mode, I thought that mode firms up the suspension and is more track ready but it did kick out when i was on a round about.

Your inputs will be highly appreciated.Thanks.Stani.
Is the Carrera 4S that you rented out, equipped with the PDK (dual-clutch) transmission?

What other features does it come with? PASM (Porsche Active Stability Management)? The Sport mode makes the car more lively, very responsive and tighter, if not a little stiffer and harder. If PASM is switched on, then there is very little chance of the rear end sliding. 911s are plagued with under-steer, but the newer ones are more balanced. The only way to get the car to behave the way 'you' want it, is to switch off the PASM.

Yes, the 911 Carrera does come with launch-control but that's only on the PDK equipped 911. PDK is Porsche's take on the dual-clutch transmission. However, there is a way to get the manual off the blocks quickly. I've attached a picture of the same.
Attached Images
 
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2011, 16:22   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
stanjohn123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: TN 75
Posts: 1,063
Thanked: 392 Times
Smile Re: A few Qs regarding my rented 2010 Porsche Carrera 4 S!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
As far as I know, the switch is located on the door-panel/other side of the mirror. Do check and see if the switch is a part of the mirror-adjuster. More often than not, it is a part of it.
There was only one knob at exactly the same place that you've mentioned to control the angle of the side view mirrors. I will check if there is some other switch nearby it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Is the Carrera 4S that you rented out, equipped with the PDK (dual-clutch) transmission?



What other features does it come with? PASM (Porsche Active Stability Management)?
Yes it is the PDK automatic transmission with PASM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

The Sport mode makes the car more lively, very responsive and tighter, if not a little stiffer and harder. If PASM is switched on, then there is very little chance of the rear end sliding. 911s are plagued with under-steer, but the newer ones are more balanced. The only way to get the car to behave the way 'you' want it, is to switch off the PASM.

Yes, the 911 Carrera does come with launch-control but that's only on the PDK equipped 911. PDK is Porsche's take on the dual-clutch transmission. However, there is a way to get the manual off the blocks quickly. I've attached a picture of the same.
Good then,I am all set to try out the launch control then.

I dont really know about the past 911's but this one does rear slides like crazy when the PASM is turned off or is in sports mode.In fact it understeers even when the PASM is turned on under heavy acceleration but it's just for a few milli seconds and the PASM intervenes after that.

I did donuts without even using the handbrakes. I just Floored the throttle and turned the wheel in the right direction.

Thanks for the info Suhaas :-)

One more thing, I can find only a narrow stretch of road to do this launch control stunt. Since the PASM will be turned off , is it risky trying this stunt as maybe the rear end might step out and everything will go topsy turvy ?

Assuming that I will not do more than 120 and it's a 2 lane road(one way traffic flow) of maybe 150-200 metres will i be able to control the car while keeping the steering wheel pointed just straight ?

Last edited by stanjohn123 : 29th May 2011 at 16:28. Reason: Forgot about a safety issue concerning launch control
stanjohn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2011, 17:59   #6
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,053
Thanked: 6,597 Times
Default Re: A few Qs regarding my rented 2010 Porsche Carrera 4 S!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
There was only one knob at exactly the same place that you've mentioned to control the angle of the side view mirrors. I will check if there is some other switch nearby it now.

Yes it is the PDK automatic transmission with PASM.
Most certainly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Good then,I am all set to try out the launch control then.

I dont really know about the past 911's but this one does rear slides like crazy when the PASM is turned off or is in sports mode.In fact it understeers even when the PASM is turned on under heavy acceleration but it's just for a few milli seconds and the PASM intervenes after that.

I did donuts without even using the handbrakes. I just Floored the throttle and turned the wheel in the right direction.
Yup, it's a real fun car. RWD and 385 brake-horse-power is quite a combination. The boxer-six mated mated to the brilliant PDK transmission and a brilliantly communicative chassis is a heady mix.

RWD cars can slide all day, especially if it's powerful enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Thanks for the info Suhaas :-)

One more thing, I can find only a narrow stretch of road to do this launch control stunt. Since the PASM will be turned off , is it risky trying this stunt as maybe the rear end might step out and everything will go topsy turvy ?

Assuming that I will not do more than 120 and it's a 2 lane road(one way traffic flow) of maybe 150-200 metres will i be able to control the car while keeping the steering wheel pointed just straight ?
You're most welcome stanjohn.

The Launch-Control works very well and you can time your 1/4 runs on the optional Sports-Pack, assuming the 911 is question is equipped with it. Launch-Control gets the best times off-the-mark. The rest of t is up to you. The driver of the car should have the skill to pull it off cleanly if it's a manual, but the PDK makes it ridiculously easy for the driver.

You need to be able to hold it in a straight line, though. The 911's chassis won't let it squimmer off the line as long as you hold it well. The PASM does help the car stay in line, but that's when you're pushing it hard, around a corner perhaps. But the electronic gadgetry on it should keep you safe.

If you're trying this out for the first time, then I suggest you find a relatively wider road. Once you've got the hang of it, you can use the LC on the narrow stretch that you're referring to. Just remember to hold it steady.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 20:57   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
stanjohn123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: TN 75
Posts: 1,063
Thanked: 392 Times
Smile Re: A few Qs regarding my rented 2010 Porsche Carrera 4 S!

Well Suhas , I could not find any button to fold the mirrors. I guess the ones on the Carrera can not be folded.


I did not try out the launch control too. Was really busy on the last day and could not find a long safe stretch of road :-(. Possibly next time, will give it a try.

Anyways do try to read my reviews, will be posting it by tomorrow or day after. Right now its just in the assembly line section waiting for completion.

Really appreciate all your inputs.

Last edited by stanjohn123 : 2nd June 2011 at 21:04. Reason: gramatical error
stanjohn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 12:06   #8
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,053
Thanked: 6,597 Times
Default Re: A few Qs regarding my rented 2010 Porsche Carrera 4 S!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Well Suhas , I could not find any button to fold the mirrors. I guess the ones on the Carrera can not be folded.


I did not try out the launch control too. Was really busy on the last day and could not find a long safe stretch of road :-(. Possibly next time, will give it a try.

Anyways do try to read my reviews, will be posting it by tomorrow or day after. Right now its just in the assembly line section waiting for completion.

Really appreciate all your inputs.
I'm sure the wing-mirrors can be folded electronically. I shall find out more on this and get back to you Stan.

Looking forward to the review.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 12:23   #9
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,759
Thanked: 6,665 Times
Default Re: A few Qs regarding my rented 2010 Porsche Carrera 4 S!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I'm sure the wing-mirrors can be folded electronically. I shall find out more on this and get back to you Stan.

Looking forward to the review.
I don't think its possible on the Carrera. Or maybe its an option which this car did not have.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 12:45   #10
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,053
Thanked: 6,597 Times
Default Re: A few Qs regarding my rented 2010 Porsche Carrera 4 S!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I don't think its possible on the Carrera. Or maybe its an option which this car did not have.
There seems to be no information about this anywhere on the internet. Or maybe I'm not searching right.

It's strange that the Carrera doesn't come with auto-retract ORVMs.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 20:30   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
stanjohn123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: TN 75
Posts: 1,063
Thanked: 392 Times
Smile Re: A few Qs regarding my rented 2010 Porsche Carrera 4 S!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
There seems to be no information about this anywhere on the internet. Or maybe I'm not searching right.

It's strange that the Carrera doesn't come with auto-retract ORVMs.

Hi Suhaas,

I really could not retract the mirrors. There is no option for that. Anyways did you check out my review ? I've mentioned these points there and lots more.
stanjohn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 20:40   #12
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,053
Thanked: 6,597 Times
Default Re: A few Qs regarding my rented 2010 Porsche Carrera 4 S!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Hi Suhaas,

I really could not retract the mirrors. There is no option for that. Anyways did you check out my review ? I've mentioned these points there and lots more.
Guess it wasn't included in the options list then. No worries.

Please PM me the link. I shall go through it today or tomorrow and will definitely leave a comment.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 00:33   #13
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,447
Thanked: 6,422 Times
Default Re: A few Qs regarding my rented 2010 Porsche Carrera 4 S!

Stan, have you rented this car in Kuwait? Nice to know you could rent out such high end cars. And I hope you have got answers to some of your questions too ! Now please thank the gurus by posting some pics of the car buddy !

PS:: I have decided too that I will rent out cars if I work abroad - Where else would you get to taste all these beauties and not bother about the high maintenance bills !

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 7th June 2011 at 00:35.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 00:54   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
stanjohn123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: TN 75
Posts: 1,063
Thanked: 392 Times
Default Re: A few Qs regarding my rented 2010 Porsche Carrera 4 S!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Stan, have you rented this car in Kuwait? Nice to know you could rent out such high end cars. And I hope you have got answers to some of your questions too ! Now please thank the gurus by posting some pics of the car buddy !

PS:: I have decided too that I will rent out cars if I work abroad - Where else would you get to taste all these beauties and not bother about the high maintenance bills !
Yes I've rented it man. Even renting these beauties don't come cheap though but it's well worth every penny. Just make sure to be extra careful since the dealers are just waiting to squeeze a little bit more from you if you do end up crashing/scratching them.

How come no one saw my reviews yet, I've posted it on t-bhp. Anyways here is the link to the review.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...4s-review.html (2010 Porsche Carrera 4S Review)

Also don't have any high hopes or expectations, this is my first review on t-bhp so kindly bear with any mistakes I've done or said.
stanjohn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 01:00   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
stanjohn123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: TN 75
Posts: 1,063
Thanked: 392 Times
Smile Re: A few Qs regarding my rented 2010 Porsche Carrera 4 S!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Guess it wasn't included in the options list then. No worries.

Please PM me the link. I shall go through it today or tomorrow and will definitely leave a comment.
Suhaas, its impossible for not being in the options list since this is a full option vehicle I've got and one of the very few 4S's in the country. Anyways I've send you the link to my review. It isn't all that good but I covered a few points from my normal layman's perspective. Do bear with the mistakes alright. Sorry.
stanjohn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Porsche Drive (Rentals): With a Porsche 911 Carrera voyageur Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 14 19th July 2016 22:10
2010 Porsche Carrera 4S Review stanjohn123 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 31 28th June 2011 20:44
2010 Porsche 911 Carrera GTS jkdas The International Automotive Scene 5 17th September 2010 12:27
Porsche 911 carrera S sridhar24 The International Automotive Scene 1 13th July 2004 15:06
Porsche Carrera GT for sale on Ebay! GTO The International Automotive Scene 7 9th March 2004 02:28


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:51.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks