Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2011, 20:06   #16
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: India
Posts: 673
Thanked: 137 Times
Default Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
This should be slight OT, but posting it, since it deals with Service. Decided to go for the Polo 1.2 CL
OR Price comes to 5.95L which includes Extended warranty costing Rs. 7199. This is not mandatory.

If we avail this AMC, all the services availed in the 3 years would be completely free, no charges what so ever. Charge only for physical damages. This was assured by the very obedient SA.

Should I opt for it? For the new Polo, how much would be the average Service cost for 3 years?
Congratulations dre@ms.

There are confirmed service cost for Polo petrol shared by fellow Team-Bhpians only for the 1st service, which is approx. 7k avg. Going by that, 3x7=21k for 03 yrs (1 yr / 15 k service interval for Polo). Not much to save here considering the 03 yrs time period.

Moreover, one of early Polo owners in Team-BHP, Chetan did opt for something similar (AMC) and there is some misunderstanding about the cost of service etc. with the dealer. He wasn't happy, you can refer his thread for more information (New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Also it was mentioned, there is a AMC available only for the 1.2L for 3 years which is Rs. 19, 990 and for 4 Years which is close to 34k.
Just checking with you, this mention only about Years and no KMs. If somebody is driving 30K kms/year avg., so it would be 02 services / year.

So, does this AMC will cover 3x2=6 services for 20K /- in 03 yrs?
If yes, this make sense, provided its genuine contract from Dealer.

Last edited by AvonA7 : 30th May 2011 at 20:11. Reason: edit
AvonA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 21:55   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
gaurav_chopra04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,249
Thanked: 493 Times
Default Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Congrats Dreams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
There are confirmed service cost for Polo petrol shared by fellow Team-Bhpians only for the 1st service, which is approx. 7k avg. Going by that, 3x7=21k for 03 yrs (1 yr / 15 k service interval for Polo). Not much to save here considering the 03 yrs time period.
Nice math you did here mate. I have a feeling that brake pads will not be included in 3 year one. Should cost another 2-3k. Also, the AMC covers only regular service, no AC service nothing. I too believe its not worth buying an AMC, but I am glad atleast VW is offering one.

Quote:
Just checking with you, this mention only about Years and no KMs. If somebody is driving 30K kms/year avg., so it would be 02 services / year.

So, does this AMC will cover 3x2=6 services for 20K /- in 03 yrs?
No, AMC is for 45k kms or 3 years; or 60k kms or 4 years. That ways if you do 30k in one year, your AMC will end in 1.5 to 2 years depending on 3 or 4 year AMC.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 23:02   #18
BHPian
 
dre@ms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Twin City
Posts: 475
Thanked: 95 Times
Default Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Thanks guys. The AMC is mentioned in the price list given to me. There is no mention of KMs in it. If needed, I can scan and attach here.

It seems its not worth, rite?
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 17:35   #19
BHPian
 
rajamuneeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: srinagar
Posts: 212
Thanked: 66 Times
Default Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Hi guys. I am finally picking up my polo comfort line TDI on the weekend. Any thing in particular i need pay attention to while doing the PDI. I will be carrying the PDI bible of team bhp along but is there any other area i need to look for as a precautionary measure. Also the dealer is offering me ICE Kenwood with four speakers for 21000. Its a double din. So please advice.
rajamuneeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 23:13   #20
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: India
Posts: 673
Thanked: 137 Times
Default Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajamuneeb View Post
Hi guys. I am finally picking up my polo comfort line TDI on the weekend. Any thing in particular i need pay attention to while doing the PDI. I will be carrying the PDI bible of team bhp along but is there any other area i need to look for as a precautionary measure.
Congratulations and all the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajamuneeb View Post
Also the dealer is offering me ICE Kenwood with four speakers for 21000. Its a double din. So please advice.
If its the Polo highline music system with 04 speakers, just FYI... I got it for 10K that too 10months back with waiting period of 3-4 months on Polo irrespective of version. Bargain hard, you may bring the price down.
AvonA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 23:24   #21
BHPian
 
rajamuneeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: srinagar
Posts: 212
Thanked: 66 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7

Congratulations and all the best!

If its the Polo highline music system with 04 speakers, just FYI... I got it for 10K that too 10months back with waiting period of 3-4 months on Polo irrespective of version. Bargain hard, you may bring the price down.
Thanks buddy the ICE is not the highline one but one with integrated Bluetooth, a USB port and iPod dock. Is that worth 21K.
rajamuneeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 23:33   #22
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: India
Posts: 673
Thanked: 137 Times
Default Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajamuneeb View Post
Thanks buddy the ICE is not the highline one but one with integrated Bluetooth, a USB port and iPod dock. Is that worth 21K.
Oh Ok, I think its the one mentioned in Polos accessories list, kenwood ~22K (HU+4 speakers). Thats fine in this case.

However, the price is always high at dealership, you can get the same setup in at least 3-4K less provided you can ensure no wire cut etc during installations. That will take care of the warranty.
AvonA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 23:38   #23
BHPian
 
rajamuneeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: srinagar
Posts: 212
Thanked: 66 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7

Oh Ok, I think its the one mentioned in Polos accessories list, kenwood ~22K (HU+4 speakers). Thats fine in this case.

However, the price is always high at dealership, you can get the same setup in at least 3-4K less provided you can ensure no wire cut etc during installations. That will take care of the warranty.
Kool. In that case it's better to get it from the dealer itself. Atleast will have a peace of mind that warranty won't be affected at all. Thanks Will update soon about the delivery and the initial experience.
rajamuneeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 22:09   #24
BHPian
 
Omega Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Thane
Posts: 145
Thanked: 39 Times
Default Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Seasons greetings to All @ TEAM-BHP,

Our new VW Polo P 1.6 HL has done just 600kms and is a month new. Today during rains, the wipers seemed like they were rubbing against the windshield. Also, although there was no fogging on the windshield from inside the car, there seemed like fog on the windshield from outside despite the wipers in operation. As a result, we could hardly see the road when other cars headlights shone on our windshield. Tried changing the AC settings but in vain. Its very difficult and risky to drive with such a condition. Never experienced this with our Innovas.
Sorry, if this is not the right thread to discuss this but any info to tackle this would be helpful.

Ride Safe this rainy season.

Last edited by Omega Man : 2nd June 2011 at 22:15.
Omega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 11:05   #25
BHPian
 
sadnabrina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 339
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

I have seen this happen in my Polo as well as other cars I had owned earlier. You seem to have a layer of oil, grease and dirt accumulated on the glass and wiper blades. The blades are unable to apply the pressure required to wipe the grime off and is leaving a thin layer on the surface.

Try cleaning the glass and wiper blades with a car wash solution or some detergent. Then dry the wiper blades off with a soft cloth and the glass with some news print (black and white).
If this does not work then apply a thin layer of vinegar on the glass (watchout - the vinegar can damage the paint surface), let it be there for 15 minutes and then wash off with water and wipe it clean.
During the rainy season, you might need to do this cleaning once a week or more frequently as the need may be. The problem increases if the cloth used by your car cleaner is dirty (not washed with detergent every single day). Unknowingly the cleaner guy transfers a thin layer of grime on to the windshield when he washes the car every morning.

I usually carry the required equipment in the car always and clean the glass whenever I see such a problem.
I had faced this problem with most of the OEM wiper blades. However when I switched to Bosch wipers in my Swift this problem was greatly reduced.

ps. Remember to switch to the "Service" mode for the wipers when you lift them for cleaning. Otherwise you will damage the paint on the bonnet.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
Seasons greetings to All @ TEAM-BHP,

Our new VW Polo P 1.6 HL has done just 600kms and is a month new. Today during rains, the wipers seemed like they were rubbing against the windshield. Also, although there was no fogging on the windshield from inside the car, there seemed like fog on the windshield from outside despite the wipers in operation. As a result, we could hardly see the road when other cars headlights shone on our windshield. Tried changing the AC settings but in vain. Its very difficult and risky to drive with such a condition. Never experienced this with our Innovas.
Sorry, if this is not the right thread to discuss this but any info to tackle this would be helpful.

Ride Safe this rainy season.
sadnabrina is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 15:46   #26
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bombay
Posts: 357
Thanked: 101 Times
Default Glacier Blue Polo TDI High Line

Folks - I haven't spent anything as yet but wanted to update you all on the AMC and Extended Warranty Prices for the Polo TDI. Initially they had it only for the Petrol models.

Extended Warranty - Rs 7899 for 3 years
AMC - 9,999 for 3 years. This contract will ensure labour is free. apparently in the 2nd and 3rd services, the labour costs go high and this is where it comes in useful. Also free labour anytime you take the car to the shop for any repair. Additionally 3% discount on parts
NevGin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 16:19   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
gaurav_chopra04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,249
Thanked: 493 Times
Default Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
Seasons greetings to All @ TEAM-BHP,

Our new VW Polo P 1.6 HL has done just 600kms and is a month new. Today during rains, the wipers seemed like they were rubbing against the windshield. Also, although there was no fogging on the windshield from inside the car, there seemed like fog on the windshield from outside despite the wipers in operation. As a result, we could hardly see the road when other cars headlights shone on our windshield. Tried changing the AC settings but in vain. Its very difficult and risky to drive with such a condition. Never experienced this with our Innovas.
Sorry, if this is not the right thread to discuss this but any info to tackle this would be helpful.

Ride Safe this rainy season.
Dont ask man, I have been cribbing about this since it rained first time after we bought the car. Add to it the fogging effect on a center of the screen (towards driver side) due to vents not properly sealed and air falling on windscreen, Driving in rain is a menace in Polo. Havent witnesed it in any other car apart from 800. Ofcourse 800 didnt have HVAC, but polo isnt far off when it comes to driving in rain.

We can try what Sadnabrina suggested, but I will be a bit afraid as paint may be damaged or the plastics may go white. Also, the solution which is used to stick windscreen may get damaged, if its done every week.

Changing the wipers though sound like a good option but where to get wipers for Polo that too non OEM .

But I must say the wipers clean beautifully when your screen is dusty and you spray water and clean it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
Folks - I haven't spent anything as yet but wanted to update you all on the AMC and Extended Warranty Prices for the Polo TDI. Initially they had it only for the Petrol models.
I am glad AMC and Extended warranty are out for Tdi as well .

Quote:
Extended Warranty - Rs 7899 for 3 years
Do you mean 3rd year or extended warranty for 3 years which makes it 2+3 years?

Quote:
Also free labour anytime you take the car to the shop for any repair.
That will anyways be free till the car is under warranty. Or are there any exceptions to that?

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 3rd June 2011 at 16:22.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 17:53   #28
BHPian
 
Omega Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Thane
Posts: 145
Thanked: 39 Times
Default Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
You seem to have a layer of oil, grease and dirt accumulated on the glass and wiper blades. The blades are unable to apply the pressure required to wipe the grime off and is leaving a thin layer on the surface.

Try cleaning the glass and wiper blades with a car wash solution or some detergent. Then dry the wiper blades off with a soft cloth and the glass with some news print (black and white).

The problem increases if the cloth used by your car cleaner is dirty (not washed with detergent every single day). Unknowingly the cleaner guy transfers a thin layer of grime on to the windshield when he washes the car every morning.

PS: Remember to switch to the "Service" mode for the wipers when you lift them for cleaning. Otherwise you will damage the paint on the bonnet.
Thank you Anirban, you got it right on the dot. I took my car to a local Car Spa and they said exactly the same thing that you have mentioned here. They advised me to change the wiper blades to OEM but that seems impossible.

I put some thick C-Fold tissue papers under the wiper blades and run it for a while and sure enough, I could see some grime from the blades and the glass as well. The Car Spa guys also told me that these blades were lubricated with silicon to keep them soft all the time. That too maybe causing this issue. When the blades run across your screen, it becomes a little hazy but clears off soon enough, that is a sign of oil mixed with water rubbed on the glass by the wipers.

Regarding service position for the wiper blades, my neighbors keep asking us why our cars wiper blades are always in that vertical position and I keep explaining to them that its service position but they think that its some malfunction with our cars wiper system.
We have sort of formed a habit of keeping the wipers in service position everytime we exit the car. With the summer heat, it was much needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
We can try what Sadnabrina suggested, but I will be a bit afraid as paint may be damaged or the plastics may go white. Also, the solution which is used to stick windscreen may get damaged, if its done every week.

But I must say the wipers clean beautifully when your screen is dusty and you spray water and clean it.
+1 to that Gaurav
Omega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 18:14   #29
BHPian
 
dre@ms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Twin City
Posts: 475
Thanked: 95 Times
Default Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

VW provides 2 years warranty. If we go for AMC, then its for 3 yrs. So this means 2+3=5 yrs warranty? Or, total of 3 yrs warranty with no service costs? Can some one throw some light?
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 04:36   #30
Senior - BHPian
 
gaurav_chopra04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,249
Thanked: 493 Times
Default Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts, POLO -1.2 Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
VW provides 2 years warranty. If we go for AMC, then its for 3 yrs. So this means 2+3=5 yrs warranty? Or, total of 3 yrs warranty with no service costs? Can some one throw some light?
For 1.2 Petrol, the warranty, which comes with new car is for 2 years or 1 lac kms. You can extend this warranty for another 2 years but the kms remain same as 1 lac. So after buying extended warranty, your polo's warranty should be 2+2 years or 1 lac kms. Now, the first 2 years warranty covers almost entire car with exceptions of wear and tear parts.

The two years extended warranty should include powertrain and major electrical parts.

All the repair/replacement jobs will come under warranty.

The same should be for 1.6 polo as well.

The AMC on 1.2 petrol is for 3 years or 45k kms; or 4 years or 60k kms.

All service cost will come under AMC.

please note, I think some of the wear and tear, like other OEMs will not covered under either extended warranty or AMC. A few are, tyres, AC service, suspension parts, bearings, clutch, rubber mounts etc. Will only be able to confirm once I take extended warranty and have T&C in front of me in Black and white.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 4th June 2011 at 04:37.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos laluks Long-Term Ownership Reviews 7861 10th December 2016 23:02
Car Battery: Dos and Don'ts! evilshantanu Technical Stuff 188 27th September 2016 10:24
Maruti's new Service Packages - MCP (Maintenance Cost Protect) for its entire range of cars RavenAvi Technical Stuff 12 10th August 2016 23:38
Effective Resume/CV creation ,dos and donts ,suggestions . black12rr Shifting gears 29 26th April 2011 00:55


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:46.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks