Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 27th May 2014, 10:50   #511
BHPian

Post Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
For peace of mind, visit VW workshop. Ask for an appointment before heading to there so that you don't have to waste whole day.
Well tbppjpr, if I go to VW sercvice station by the time they accept my car and open a job card I will loose my peace and mind , I have had several instances where they have kept me waiting for more than an hour even after having an appointment, thats the reason I was trying to avoid them as much as possible, but still if the skoda guy is not able to reset it, I will have no choice but to go to VW folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
No harm in getting it reset. Get the error code, note it down somewhere and get it reset. Its most probably due to water in electrical contacts resulting in false sensor reading reaching ECM and error code was set. If you do not see check engine light after reset then you are good to go.
Thanks Hashim, I have planned to get it reset, hope its the water that caused the faulty errors and nothing else major.
pillaian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2014, 11:37   #512
BHPian

Default Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

@ LizardKing, I also have Polo 1.2 (P) Highline. The AC issue you are facing is completely normal. I also like to switch on AC at manual mode at times. I have noticed that the 'bars' are directly proportional to speed of the car. In case you are at a red light, the bar will eventually be reduced to one. It goes up again when u pick up speed.

At first I also got irritated with this, but the VW guy told me that it is done to surpass the blower noise. At high speeds, the blower makes noise but is overcome by other noises...

I m concerned with an another issue that there is no 'one touch' off button in the Polo climatronic AC!

Last edited by akash_m : 29th May 2014 at 11:40.
akash_m is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2014, 19:53   #513
BHPian

Called up the Bangalore Motors, Rajajinagara service on Friday afternoon and got an appointment at Saturday 10 30 AM for my first checkup for my GT TDi since it was 7.2k on the odo and 6 months had been completed. Reached there on time and the service engineer greeted me and then drove the car over to the lift. He inspected the under-body, apart from the usual checklist and prepared the job card giving me the copy of it. He asked me to come back at 3 PM. All of this was over in about 25 mins.

I reached the service center at 5 30 PM and the car was ready. The car was wash was good but because of the dust from near by construction, I could see some small speckles of dust. Interior too was cleaned except the upholstery.

He explained the job card. He got the AC filters cleaned as it was "choked". Everything was checked and topped up as needed. I bought the 1 ltr bottle of Engine Oil for emergency purpose. He also advised to get the 1st service done at 14k kms itself.

Total came up to Rs 970 which was for the Engine Oil.

Very much impressed with the experience.

Last edited by Kanasu : 7th June 2014 at 19:55.
Kanasu is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2014, 13:43   #514
BHPian

I have been facing pedal vibration akin to ABS pulsation (mine is a non-ABS) when breaking at speeds above 80.This was very severe at 100+ kmph with 4 passengers with a feeling that the steering column itself was vibrating.

Took the car to VW Trivandrum and after a couple of spins the SA was also able to feel the pedal vibration. It was difficult to conduct a speed test given that the highway has speed cameras every now and then and when we got an alternate road we were signaled by other cars about a mobile speed patrol. Wonder how we can ever do a road test legally !

The SA asked me to pick up the car the next day. I was mentally prepared to get a whopping bill for around 8000/- having done extensive reading about how the pedal vibration may be caused by a warped disc. I did not want to get the disc skimmed since the cost difference would be about 2000/- since the brake pads would have to be replaced anyway if the disc was skimmed by a local workshop.

I was very pleasantly surprised when the SA called me a couple of hours later and said that the issue was rectified. They checked the disc for warping and found that it was in good shape and so were the pads. They cleaned and sanded the disc and brake pads and did a couple of test runs and they were satisfied that that would just do. And more pleasant was the bill. Zero Rs. . So that is a job well done by VW.
kutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2014, 12:53   #515
Senior - BHPian

I have posted update to my Polo's thread here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...s-pg-11-a.html

please go through it whenever you guys get time.

regards
GC
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2014, 17:20   #516
BHPian

Default Annual Service coming up!

My first annual service is coming up, and here is a list of "avoidable" items I compiled from earlier posts in this thread:

1. Wheel balancing and alignment
2. Wiper fluid top-up
3. AC disinfectant

Have I missed anything? Also, can someone tell me how much engine oil a Polo Petrol 1.2 needs?

Thanks in advance.

Btw, I am getting the service done at Tornado Motors. Any specific tips with respect to this workshop? I have been given a preliminary quote of Rs. 10,500 while booking the appointment itself!
TheLizardKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2014, 00:48   #517
Distinguished - BHPian

Unless you do a very low mileage, it might be a bad idea to avoid item 1. It might cost you more in tire wear and reduced tire life.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2014, 10:17   #518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Unless you do a very low mileage, it might be a bad idea to avoid item 1. It might cost you more in tire wear and reduced tire life.
Thanks for the tip. I have done about 7500 kms in one year. Does that qualify as "low"? I was going to get it done outside, like it has been suggested elsewhere on this forum. It is cheaper that way, isn't it?
Old 19th June 2014, 10:35   #519
BHPian

Default Re: Annual Service coming up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
My first annual service is coming up, and here is a list of "avoidable" items I compiled from earlier posts in this thread:

1. Wheel balancing and alignment
2. Wiper fluid top-up
3. AC disinfectant

Have I missed anything? Also, can someone tell me how much engine oil a Polo Petrol 1.2 needs?

Thanks in advance.

Btw, I am getting the service done at Tornado Motors. Any specific tips with respect to this workshop? I have been given a preliminary quote of Rs. 10,500 while booking the appointment itself!
Yes that's what they will quote since they include all things even if you tell them to avoid certain stuffs.

You may also tell them not to wash the car since they charge pretty high.

You may get your Wheel balancing and alignment done outside which can be done in 300-400 at a good place. My preferred shop (Pal Tyres @ Lamington Road) who does wheel balancing suggests it to be done after 8.5k - 9k kms along with wheel rotation if you are using the car primarily for city drives.

My first yr service at tornado turned out to be Rs. 7300 with Synthetic oil changeover (~3 ltrs used).

This post may be usefull:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3280301 (VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts)
rahulk2510 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2014, 10:43   #520
BHPian

Default Re: Annual Service coming up!

I thanked you for that post just so I could pull it up when the time came for my annual service. I will ask the SA to make a list of all parts and labour items before starting the service. Then again, since my company will be reimbursing the same (as part of a non-taxed salary component), I am inclined to just let them do their thing...

It is quite amazing how you mentally "adjust" yourself to high maintenance expenses once you buy a German. I am otherwise pretty careful about money as a rule...
Old 23rd June 2014, 00:20   #521
BHPian

I face this issue quite often now a days ... whenever I start my car after 10-12 hrs gap, the ignition key gets stuck and more often it takes a lot of effort, sometimes with two hands just to rotate the keys to start the car.
Please share if you face issues in starting your Polo after a cold start where the keys gets jammed and resolution, if any.
AvonA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 12:39   #522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
I face this issue quite often now a days ... whenever I start my car after 10-12 hrs gap, the ignition key gets stuck and more often it takes a lot of effort, sometimes with two hands just to rotate the keys to start the car.
Please share if you face issues in starting your Polo after a cold start where the keys gets jammed and resolution, if any.
Never faced this in my TDi in 22k km. Assume it's not the steering lock fouling the ignition barrel? Solution is to gently move the steering a bit and it immediately disengages.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2014, 10:23   #523
BHPian

I own a Polo 1.2 Petrol Comfort line. 1st year servicing for my car is due at the end of this month.

I had taken my car for 6 months check up to Vidyut Motors, Pune. The experience was not that great. They kept my cars for two days and did not resolve any of the problems that I had mentioned. I had to leave the car again at their workshop for three days.

My question is, whether BU Bhandari in Pune is any better than Vidyut Motors. I am planning to give my car for servicing at BU Bhandari. Should I go there or should I stick to Vidyut?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Ketan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2014, 23:09   #524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Never faced this in my TDi in 22k km. Assume it's not the steering lock fouling the ignition barrel? Solution is to gently move the steering a bit and it immediately disengages.
Thanks. Next month, I am taking my car for 04th servicing, shall check with them. Hope, they`ll be able to replicate/solve the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan T View Post
I own a Polo 1.2 Petrol Comfort line. 1st year servicing for my car is due at the end of this month.

I had taken my car for 6 months check up to Vidyut Motors, Pune. The experience was not that great. They kept my cars for two days and did not resolve any of the problems that I had mentioned. I had to leave the car again at their workshop for three days.

My question is, whether BU Bhandari in Pune is any better than Vidyut Motors. I am planning to give my car for servicing at BU Bhandari. Should I go there or should I stick to Vidyut?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Vidyut Motors is the place where I bought and did all my car servicing. As per my experience, Vidyut Motors is good, but one need to push them to get issues resolved, also it depends on the SA one is assigned to. Escalation process works here. An eg. once after servicing my car was going left .i.e, the alignment was not right. I called them, wanted to speak to their service manager, they agreed to send their mechanic with necessary tools to my place and get the issue resolved. From my place to Vidyut is ~14kms.

Never been to BU Bhandari for servicing, though I tried, but their workshop is too far for me (I stay in Hadapsar). It would be good to get direct feedback from someone who serviced their car in BU Bhandari. Do share your experience if you service your car at BU B.
AvonA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2014, 11:24   #525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
Thanks. Next month, I am taking my car for 04th servicing, shall check with them. Hope, they`ll be able to replicate/solve the issue.

Vidyut Motors is the place where I bought and did all my car servicing. As per my experience, Vidyut Motors is good, but one need to push them to get issues resolved, also it depends on the SA one is assigned to. Escalation process works here. An eg. once after servicing my car was going left .i.e, the alignment was not right. I called them, wanted to speak to their service manager, they agreed to send their mechanic with necessary tools to my place and get the issue resolved. From my place to Vidyut is ~14kms.

Never been to BU Bhandari for servicing, though I tried, but their workshop is too far for me (I stay in Hadapsar). It would be good to get direct feedback from someone who serviced their car in BU Bhandari. Do share your experience if you service your car at BU B.
Thank you, Avon. I will keep you posted on the kind of service I get from BU Bhandari. I have taken an appointment for this Sunday.
Ketan T is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote