Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 1st May 2015, 13:45   #781
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

This was even before the SA approached the car. In VW whitefield, they are driving the car inside the workshop even before SA inspection, due to lack of space in the service lounge.
poloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2015, 15:02   #782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Gannu, I don't know whether this is a coincidence, last week I had given Polo for bodywork at VW Whitefield. The car was standing in the front of the workshop. When I was syncing with the SA, some one drove the car inside.By the time I went to collect the valuables, SD card in the HU was long gone. This in a matter of 10 minutes. 2 workshop boys were playing with HU but played total ignorance of the matter.

Did you escalate this? Please talk to Ms Kalpana, she is the service manager . Believe me, they take escalations very seriously .
Today it might be a SD card, but some other day it could be something very expensive . So I would request you to bring this matter to their notice .
Schoudhury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2015, 13:07   #783
BHPian

Hi all,

A close friend of mine's 2013 VW Polo 1.2 (Diesel) has one of its tires (front right) is wearing out faster than the other three. I haven't seen it, but he says the wear is even across this tire. What could be wrong? He is taking the car to the service center this weekend. What could be wrong? Alignment or Suspension ?
DudeWithaFiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2015, 13:11   #784
BHPian

Strangely, my car's rear parking sensors as well as reverse light has stopped working all of a sudden. Though i have the 7500 Kms periodic checkup is scheduled for later this week, just got curious to know the reason behind this.
mr_hardcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2015, 13:11   #785
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
Hi all,

A close friend of mine's 2013 VW Polo 1.2 (Diesel) has one of its tires (front right) is wearing out faster than the other three. I haven't seen it, but he says the wear is even across this tire. What could be wrong? He is taking the car to the service center this weekend. What could be wrong? Alignment or Suspension ?
First get the alignment checked from a competent alignment guy.

Did the car hit any pothole at high speed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_hardcore View Post
Strangely, my car's rear parking sensors as well as reverse light has stopped working all of a sudden. Though i have the 7500 Kms periodic checkup is scheduled for later this week, just got curious to know the reason behind this.
Check the fuse or wiring connections. Rat menace IMO.

Last edited by a4anurag : 6th May 2015 at 13:12.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2015, 13:13   #786
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,

Should be an alignment issue. Ask your friend to fit equally & even worn tires on the front before getting the alignment done. If the tires are already worn completely, I suggest replacing them just before aligning. In general, specialized alignment centers do a better job than the ASC.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2015, 13:20   #787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Ask your friend to fit equally & even worn tires on the front before getting the alignment done. If the tires are already worn completely, I suggest replacing them just before aligning.
Thank you Saket, but the problem here is, there are no 'tires', the wear is only on ONE tire in the front (the front right tire). Could it still be because of bad alignment?
DudeWithaFiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2015, 13:27   #788
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Saket, but the problem here is, there are no 'tires', the wear is only on ONE tire in the front (the front right tire). Could it still be because of bad alignment?
Absolutely. Also look if that particular tire is wearing at any specific area, like the outer or the inner edge. This indicates a wrong camber setting as the front wheels are not parallel to each other.

If the car does not holds a straight line on a fairly plain and straight road, then the toe needs adjustment.

I am sure that a good alignment will solve the issue. But before you begin, you need to have tires of even wear to have the best results.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2015, 16:57   #789
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Check the fuse or wiring connections. Rat menace IMO.
Anurag, the wiring harness of the rear lights and parking aids are concealed within the car and not exposed outside. Fat chance that a rat would chew through them. Could be the fuse.
Gannu_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 13:59   #790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Anurag, the wiring harness of the rear lights and parking aids are concealed within the car and not exposed outside. Fat chance that a rat would chew through them. Could be the fuse.
Got it corrected during the 7500 Km checkup, the wire from connector was ripped off. As per VW, it was chewed by rats but I didn't got any such hints while I was getting it repaired in the service center.

Moreover, it was a tad costly too. The connecting wire (approx 10 cm) was quoted INR 900, tab connector another 270 rs excluding labor charges.

Also, the SA charged me 1500 as labor charges for:

1. Routine Checkup ( a liter of engine oil was also topped up, is it common during the initial Kms or am I the only one who needed to top up the engine oil?)
2. Additional Horn fitment
3. Reverse light and sensor repair
4. Speedometer rattle correction
mr_hardcore is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2015, 16:22   #791
BHPian

Question Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Hey,

So the RHS headlight on my Polo has fogged up completely.
It's been like this for a good couple of weeks, and I haven't had the time to go to the service centre yet. Is there any DIY fix for this at home?

I have attached pictures of both headlights for comparison.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-img_0001.jpg  

VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts-img_0002.jpg  

SiddVish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2015, 16:33   #792
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiddVish View Post
So the RHS headlight on my Polo has fogged up completely. It's been like this for a good couple of weeks, and I haven't had the time to go to the service centre yet. Is there any DIY fix for this at home?
To dry the condensed water inside, remove the headlamp assembly - 2 Torx screws (image), give the headlamp a push from the rear to remove it from the slot below, disconnect the 3 wires (H4 bulb, PY21 bulb, W5W bulb), remove the bulbs and use a heat gun/hair dryer and direct the warm air stream inside through the H4 bulb slot. You will have to leave aside the headlamp for a night to dry the water completely.

Ensure the following after replacing it back:

1. The rubber cover for the H4 bulb is properly seated.

2. The bulb sockets for the PY21 bulb (indicator) and the W5W bulb (parking light) is properly slotted and seated. They turn with an assuring click after the tabs go into the slot.

3. The venting rubber tubes are not clogged.

Were the bulbs changed recently?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 28th May 2015 at 16:34.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2015, 07:45   #793
BHPian

Quote:
Were the bulbs changed recently?
Thanks, I shall try this tonight!
Little worried about opening up the headlight though, shouldn't have any warranty issues right? (Considering VW and all) :P

No, the bulbs haven't been changed. Although, I did have a small accident about 6 months ago where the other headlight was replaced. Not sure if this is related though.
SiddVish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2015, 08:04   #794
BHPian

Quote:
Ganesh, this has happened to me also late last year. The left side rear parking light stopped working and I had even made an appointment with the service centre to fix it (they indicated charges of Rs 300 to 900 on phone depending on the diagnosis). Luckily I was getting the Maruti repaired at that time and the engineer volunteered to open up the polo panel and see the problem. He did so and it turned out to be a break in the wiring (bulbs were OK). I don't know if rats caused it (unlikely) but snapping is a real possibility.
Kumar R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2015, 08:44   #795
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post
He did so and it turned out to be a break in the wiring (bulbs were OK). I don't know if rats caused it (unlikely) but snapping is a real possibility.
Are you referring to the headlight? The wiring to the headlights are exposed inside the engine bay, easily accessible to rodents. However, the wiring harness of the taillights, parking sensors etc. are concealed inside the car within the plastic trims. It isn't exposed to the outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiddVish View Post
Thanks, I shall try this tonight!
Little worried about opening up the headlight though, shouldn't have any warranty issues right? (Considering VW and all) :P
Oh absolutely no. Go ahead. Remember, after the 2 screws are out, you still need to give a push to take the headlight out of its slot.
Gannu_1 is offline   Reply With Quote