Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 26th April 2016, 09:09   #991
DWC
BHPian

Default Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Yes!
Thank you, will try this out. The reason i'm asking is because sometimes i carry a lot of luggage in my car and due to the headrests, the rear seats do not fold completely.
DWC is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016, 11:11   #992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC View Post
Also, is anyone else facing problems with their bluetooth? My 2015 Polo is giving me all sorts of troubles with the bluetooth. It works, intermittently. Thats the best way I can explain it. It's like it has a mind of its own. Sometime it works, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it gets cut in between a call, sometimes it comes back after it gets cut. I'm going to show this to them soon as my service is due in around 500 kms. Im afraid that it may just work while i'm there. Then what?
I had this problem earlier. I think this was because Polo head unit does not support older bluetooth standard. This problem was resolved after I upgraded my mobile.

Earlier bluetooth will not connect, or even if it is connected, I will not be able to receive call. Typically I used to get ring and then bluetooth used to get disconnected.

Note: I have 2013 Polo. I am not sure it is the same HU in 2015 Polo.
radek is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2016, 21:01   #993
BHPian

My GT tsi is 3 months old now, and from what ive read the inspection is at 7,500 kms/6 months.

In the interim do i need to periodically check the engine oil and coolant levels, brake fluid etc, and top up if need be, or are the service intervals set up so that this is not required from our end?

Sorry if this is an amateur question, but as my other car is a civic and it goes for servicing every 3 months. The service station guys, top up all fluids as need be, so ive never needed to check on those, and a six month service interval seems like a long time frame

Thanks
nova9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2016, 07:09   #994

Hello nova9,

All Polo variants have similar servive schedules. An inspection after 6 months from sale and thereafter annual service. Depending on usage of your vehicle, it is good to keep a check on oil/fluid levels. In my ownership experience of Polo, I have never faced any oil/fluid related problem in between the service intervals. So it is safe to assume that the service schedule is timed at decent intervals.
Ambersariya87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2016, 13:10   #995
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambersariya87 View Post
An inspection after 6 months from sale
I really don't know how necessary this is. It used to be routine with new cars a long time back: bolts need to be tightened, more oil would be used in early life, etc etc. I don't think that is needed any longer. Actually, there was no 6-month service on my 2011 Polo.

I suspect it is a "courtesy" thing, where courtesy is redefined as marketing ("Hello, this is just a courtesy call") but... it's free, so why not get it.

The question would be: would not getting the six-month service affect the warranty?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2016, 14:33   #996
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I really don't know how necessary this is. It used to be routine with new cars a long time back: bolts need to be tightened, more oil would be used in early life, etc etc. I don't think that is needed any longer. Actually, there was no 6-month service on my 2011 Polo.

I suspect it is a "courtesy" thing, where courtesy is redefined as marketing ("Hello, this is just a courtesy call") but... it's free, so why not get it.

The question would be: would not getting the six-month service affect the warranty?
I don't think it would void the warranty. I took delivery of my Polo a couple weeks ago and the SA was explaining the service routine to me. He mentioned that it would merely be a check-up in the 6th month. The actual service would be carried out at 1 year / 15000 km. Skipping the service would void the warranty. The check-up is optional.
kaush666 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2016, 02:10   #997
BHPian

I had an interesting experience today. Had gone out to check out the S-Cross 1.6 and got my Polo GT TDi evaluated.

One of the things that the evaluated did was to rev the engine a bit, and the remove the dip stick. A whitish smoke started coming out of the dip stick hole. I asked him about it and he said it is normal.

Funny thing is that I has another evaluator do the same for my Swift and there was absolutely no smoke.

From my research I understand that this is blow by. Some forums do suggest that it is normal while some others say that the engine may have compression issues. Power delivery is fine.

It seems to be normal as per this link

What do you guys think?

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2016, 08:56   #998
Senior - BHPian

A little bit of this is quite normal. White smoke might be just traces of water vapour. After you shut down your engine depending on ambient conditions there could be a bit of condensation inside the crank case. As soon as you restart the engine and the lub oil heats up, the water vapour evaporates out. But you are very likely to always see some grey type of smoke coming out of the dip stick hole when running the engine. It's all about how much. Easiest to get some feel is to compare a few similar cars/engines.

When in real doubt you will have to do a blow by test on the cylinder head and or compression test on each cylinder
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2016, 09:47   #999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
A little bit of this is quite normal. White smoke might be just traces of water vapour. After you shut down your engine depending on ambient conditions there could be a bit of condensation inside the crank case. As soon as you restart the engine and the lub oil heats up, the water vapour evaporates out. But you are very likely to always see some grey type of smoke coming out of the dip stick hole when running the engine. It's all about how much. Easiest to get some feel is to compare a few similar cars/engines.
Is there any design approach in engine design in which some engines may exhibit this behaviour and some other don't? The reason I am asking this is because my Swift never had this even after 150k kms. The evaluator also mentioned that Maruti cars do not have it. Said it has something to do with the way different manufacturers tune their engines.

Anyway I plan to keep an eye on this and also if I get the chance check it out on a few other Polos as well as you mentioned.

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2016, 10:40   #1000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Is there any design approach in engine design in which some engines may exhibit this behaviour and some other don't? The reason I am asking this is because my Swift never had this even after 150k kms. The evaluator also mentioned that Maruti cars do not have it. Said it has something to do with the way different manufacturers tune their engines.

Engines get designed to have minimal blow by as it is a waste so it affects fuel efficiency, emissions and in the worst case even the engine balancing.

Obviously, at least in theory, the higher compression ratio an engine has the more likely you are to see some blow by affects. But then again an engine gets designed for a specific compression ratio.

Be aware that what you observe at engine idle is different as to what might be going on when the engine is under load under higher rpm's! And it only makes sense to look for this with a properly warmed up engine and lub oil.

Try and rev the engine and see if you see or feel a bit of smoke/over pressure.
Jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2016, 15:56   #1001
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Another post for my friend's polo which went for servicing to Automark. The car is 4.5 years old and has done 35000kms. Servicing cost was around 8000+ battery replacement. The bummer came when they were washing the car and water leaked inside through windshield. My friend got a call from the technical supervisor informing that they are putting the car in workshop to check what the issue was, and they removed the windshield to check and it will cost around 5k for putting the sealant to remove this leakage. My friend dint have a choice so he said please go ahead. Then he got another call that there is some corrosion on the windshield frame and he should come and check the same before they begin work, and to remove the same it would cost around 2.5k. Today he got a bill of INR 9400 from bodyshop + 14000 for the regular servicing+ battery. How do you verify what is genuine and what is not? In addition, he has been told that his car's suspension bushes need to be changed which will cost around 15k+labour and there is some play in steering wheel rack as well and that will cost another 11000. He is really frustrated cause of this and has written to VW as the costs are too high. Also, he had got his windshield repaired in 2013 from VW Frontier in Delhi and they didnt do the job properly hence the corrosion and water leakage. Is there anything which can be done about this? His car is not in warranty anymore, can anyone suggest a good workshop where he can get the suspension and Steering checked as he doesnt want to visit any VW service center anymore.

Last edited by shelleve : 25th May 2016 at 15:59. Reason: I would like to add a few items
shelleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2016, 16:36   #1002
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleve View Post
Hi Guys,

Today he got a bill of INR 9400 from bodyshop + 14000 for the regular servicing+ battery. How do you verify what is genuine and what is not?
Compare it with the estimate he was provided (along with anything that was agreed on over the phone verbally). If the amount differs widely from that, give a poor-to-medium rating to VW CRM and await the dealer's call.

Quote:
In addition, he has been told that his car's suspension bushes need to be changed which will cost around 15k+labour and there is some play in steering wheel rack as well and that will cost another 11000. He is really frustrated cause of this and has written to VW as the costs are too high. Also, he had got his windshield repaired in 2013 from VW Frontier in Delhi and they didnt do the job properly hence the corrosion and water leakage. Is there anything which can be done about this? His car is not in warranty anymore, can anyone suggest a good workshop where he can get the suspension and Steering checked as he doesnt want to visit any VW service center anymore.
This is actually standard practice these days, especially at VW but not restricted to them. When I was getting my Vento wheels aligned, I realised that my brake pads need replacement. VW insisted that I replace the brake discs as well but mine have been replaced once before and are perfectly fine for another 20,000 km at least so I told them to replace only the brake pads. They did, but not without giving it everything they had to get me to change not just the discs but the brake master cylinder as well! "Spongy lagaa, sir!" is what I was told and it kinda plays on your mind since we're talking about brakes after all. I panicked and asked them to bleed the brakes again (they claimed they had already done it twice, "on the machine" and it wouldn't help). After a long argument I finally agreed to take it outside for a second opinion and come back if all those parts really needed replacement. In a day or two the car felt fine, probably the usual time it takes for the new brake pads to settle in!
Things like suspension, brakes, steering rack etc. are easy picking for these guys. If you are the type who loves your car but are not very sure what goes on under the hood (90% of car owners, if you ask me!) you will almost certainly at some point buy into the spiel and get ripped off.
If you perceive there is a problem, take the car to an independent garage for a check.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2016, 17:43   #1003
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Compare it with the estimate he was provided (along with anything that was agreed on over the phone verbally). If the amount differs widely from that, give a poor-to-medium rating to VW CRM and await the dealer's call.

This is actually standard practice these days, especially at VW but not restricted to them. When I was getting my Vento wheels aligned, I realised that my brake pads need replacement. VW insisted that I replace the brake discs as well but mine have been replaced once before and are perfectly fine for another 20,000 km at least so I told them to replace only the brake pads. They did, but not without giving it everything they had to get me to change not just the discs but the brake master cylinder as well! "Spongy lagaa, sir!" is what I was told and it kinda plays on your mind since we're talking about brakes after all. I panicked and asked them to bleed the brakes again (they claimed they had already done it twice, "on the machine" and it wouldn't help). After a long argument I finally agreed to take it outside for a second opinion and come back if all those parts really needed replacement. In a day or two the car felt fine, probably the usual time it takes for the new brake pads to settle in!
Things like suspension, brakes, steering rack etc. are easy picking for these guys. If you are the type who loves your car but are not very sure what goes on under the hood (90% of car owners, if you ask me!) you will almost certainly at some point buy into the spiel and get ripped off.
If you perceive there is a problem, take the car to an independent garage for a check.
Thanks for the quick response and I appreciate the same. Yes, he cares for his car and a similar thing was done by them when they told him earlier last year that he should change his brake pad and disc together, he waited for few months and then got it done. I will ask him to take a view from independent garage. He got a rough estimate over the phone and the total bill is INR1000 above that, so its fine. But when he asked for breakdown he was told the windshield sealant cost is 4500 the same sealant costs 1200 for Maruti. No wonder its expensive to maintain german cars. DOes anyone know any good and trustworthy garage in Mumbai?
shelleve is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2016, 16:52   #1004
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello nova9,

In my ownership experience of Polo, I have never faced any oil/fluid related problem in between the service intervals. So it is safe to assume that the service schedule is timed at decent intervals.
After first 4000 kms of running, I checked level of engine oil before a long trip & found oil level at "C". Guess it gulped somewhere around 2 liters during top up

Since I have remapped the car with Code-6, oil change is scheduled every 7.5k kms. So this top of 2 liters lasted only for another 3.5 kms, where I drained the oil completely and filled it new

Haven't faced any issues between 7.5k to 15k running or I have not done any intermediate oil level checking ......15k kms vehicle got serviced, where I have replaced the front rotors and pads along with other usual stuffs.

Now at 20K kms, while checking before a long drive, found the oil level to be at C. There are no signs of any leakage anywhere. Spoken to the service centre (Sundaram) & was told by an advisor that oil level getting down is a normal thing & refilling is the option...at 5k? He adds from level C it will consume only 1 litre, but with my previous refilling experience, its around 2 litres

Is this normal?
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2016, 18:22   #1005
BHPian

Quote:
Hello nova9,

All Polo variants have similar servive schedules. An inspection after 6 months from sale and thereafter annual service. Depending on usage of your vehicle, it is good to keep a check on oil/fluid levels. In my ownership experience of Polo, I have never faced any oil/fluid related problem in between the service intervals. So it is safe to assume that the service schedule is timed at decent intervals.
So whats the recommended oil for the GT tsi? I see some people recommending 5w30 and some 5w40, and any specific brand preference?

Thanks
nova9 is offline   Reply With Quote