Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2017, 13:00   #1291
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 32
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Hi Folks, have a query which is baffling me.

Context: Got my battery changed to Amaron Flo 60 Din recently after the original battery went dead in 2.5 yrs, 20k km run Polo 1.5 Tdi (yes I know, its' too low for a diesel; change in job profile resulted in extended outstation visits).

Issue: dashboard fuel gauge has started showing instantaneous avg in the range of 13-15kmpl (instead of 17-19 kmpl). In actual number as well, car is running lesser kmpl. Have got the tire pressure checked to rule out puncture etc. issues. also, post this, AC is not so effective (more feeling based than actual numbers)

Need guidance from all folks on what's the actual issue.

PS: request mods to move post to right section if warranted.

Last edited by MNITDEVIL : 25th May 2017 at 13:22. Reason: Additional info added
MNITDEVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2017, 09:31   #1292
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 130
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNITDEVIL View Post
Hi Folks, have a query which is baffling me.

Context: Got my battery changed to Amaron Flo 60 Din recently after the original battery went dead in 2.5 yrs, 20k km run Polo 1.5 Tdi (yes I know, its' too low for a diesel; change in job profile resulted in extended outstation visits).

Issue: dashboard fuel gauge has started showing instantaneous avg in the range of 13-15kmpl (instead of 17-19 kmpl). In actual number as well, car is running lesser kmpl. Have got the tire pressure checked to rule out puncture etc. issues. also, post this, AC is not so effective (more feeling based than actual numbers)

Need guidance from all folks on what's the actual issue.

PS: request mods to move post to right section if warranted.
Check AC gas levels. If compressor is running longer to keep cabin temperature down, it will consume more fuel.
isodope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2017, 12:19   #1293
Senior - BHPian
 
Vik0728's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,722
Thanked: 2,104 Times
Default Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Guys, can anybody share the length of the 'Rear Wiper Blade' on Polo?

The rubber beading has come off and I have tried using super glue many times, but I guess it is time I change this 3yr old blade.

I have a 2014 1.6 GT TDi, and I am assuming that the rear wiper blade dimensions have not changed.
Vik0728 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2017, 12:44   #1294
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,740
Thanked: 6,967 Times
Default Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
The rubber beading has come off and I have tried using super glue many times, but I guess it is time I change this 3yr old blade.
Goodness yes, although they take a lot less stress than the front-screen wipers.

Actually, that may not be true: occasional use might age the rubber more than regular use.

It is 275mm. And thanks... measuring mine made me notice that it is tearing at the tip. I will get it replaced at the service this coming month.

Unless you are keen to try some third-party blade, I'd suggest just going for the dealer replacement.

Front windscreen wipers I used to replace annually, but the stock VW ones seem good for two years, even in the Chennai climate
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2017, 13:41   #1295
Senior - BHPian
 
Vik0728's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,722
Thanked: 2,104 Times
Default Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It is 275mm. And thanks... measuring mine made me notice that it is tearing at the tip. I will get it replaced at the service this coming month.

Unless you are keen to try some third-party blade, I'd suggest just going for the dealer replacement.
Thank you Thad E Ginathom and though I would not like anything more than the OEM part, the major problem with that is the availability.

You may probably not believe me if I post it here, but I have been running around with VW A.S.S for the rear wiper for over 7 months now, and they never seem to have the part available!!

So I have decided on ordering one online, and this is what I found:

http://www.amazon.in/Power-A211-Rear...AMQ65ZP1CM003F
Vik0728 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2017, 13:43   #1296
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 32
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by isodope View Post
Check AC gas levels. If compressor is running longer to keep cabin temperature down, it will consume more fuel.
Is there a way to do this check without visiting the service station?
MNITDEVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2017, 14:39   #1297
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,740
Thanked: 6,967 Times
Default Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Thank you Thad E Ginathom and though I would not like anything more than the OEM part, the major problem with that is the availability.

You may probably not believe me if I post it here, but I have been running around with VW A.S.S for the rear wiper for over 7 months now, and they never seem to have the part available!!

...
Oh, that's bad news. I was thinking that replacing mine would be just a case of asking!

Have to see how I fare on this here in Chennai. Otherwise, Amazon seems to have the answer
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2017, 08:55   #1298
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 130
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNITDEVIL View Post
Is there a way to do this check without visiting the service station?
There are only two things that the service centre can do that nobody else can: 1. Issue you a new key that has an immobiliser, and 2. Diagnose faults using the company's proprietary diagnostic software. Everything else can be done at any well-equipped, competent garage.

Specific to your question - you can visit any garage with the right tools and they'll let you know if you're running low on AC gas. There are also certain garages that specialise in repairing and servicing automotive AC systems. The system in your car isn't any different from the system in your refrigerator or air-con in the house, so it isn't rocket science.
isodope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 15:37   #1299
BHPian
 
Ferrariwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mumbai.
Posts: 196
Thanked: 407 Times
Default Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Hi does anyone know what is the wiper blade size for the 2011 polo ? My car needs new wipers both in the front and back also which brand do you guys suggest?
Ferrariwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2017, 11:59   #1300
BHPian
 
KkVaidya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 626
Thanked: 251 Times
Default Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrariwell View Post
Hi does anyone know what is the wiper blade size for the 2011 polo ? My car needs new wipers both in the front and back also which brand do you guys suggest?
Just drive to your nearest dealer and they will fix new blades then and there. With the monsoon on the onset, they have stocked up with new blades. For aftermarket, I would prefer Hella and Bosch.
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2017, 11:20   #1301
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Hi folks,
I recently had an accident with my polo (Comforline, 2013 petrol model) due to which my rear bumper got damaged badly. Also rear side doors got some major scratches. So I need your guidance on whether I should go for insurance claim or get it fixed from FNG.
Ambersariya87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2017, 21:08   #1302
BHPian
 
KkVaidya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 626
Thanked: 251 Times
Default Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambersariya87 View Post
Hi folks,
I recently had an accident with my polo (Comforline, 2013 petrol model) due to which my rear bumper got damaged badly. Also rear side doors got some major scratches. So I need your guidance on whether I should go for insurance claim or get it fixed from FNG.
Claim it from Insurance company as bumper will replacement and door re-painting will cost you north of 15,000. You have been paying the company a premium all these years just for this.
KkVaidya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2017, 12:49   #1303
BHPian
 
WhiteFang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Mumbai/Kochi
Posts: 28
Thanked: 40 Times
Default Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Hello guys,

I have recently taken My Polo 1.2 for its first service. As service centre quoted 14.5k for routine service, I had asked them to cut down few things like 3M interior cleaning,Wheel alignment and balancing etc. My car has clocked 10k kilometres so far and wheel balancing/alignment still pending to be performed. I have never encountered any punchures or facing any issue with steering. My question is what is the ideal interval for doing Wheel alignment/balancing for my Polo considering above?
WhiteFang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2017, 14:19   #1304
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 843
Thanked: 592 Times
Default Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFang View Post
Hello guys,

I have recently taken My Polo 1.2 for its first service. As service centre quoted 14.5k for routine service, I had asked them to cut down few things like 3M interior cleaning,Wheel alignment and balancing etc. My car has clocked 10k kilometres so far and wheel balancing/alignment still pending to be performed. I have never encountered any punchures or facing any issue with steering. My question is what is the ideal interval for doing Wheel alignment/balancing for my Polo considering above?
Wheel alignment every 5K kilometers. Rotation and balancing every 10K kilometers. This is the schedule that I follow. Works out well for me in terms of tyre life.

Punctures really do not have a impact on both except if you have a really bad one and have to use a patch. In this case the balancing is impacted. Also slight variations in alignment may not manifest themselves on the steering so it is better to get a regular alignment check done rather than risk damaging a tyre. Once the uneven wear gets going the tyre gets shot to hell very fast.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 17:19   #1305
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: bangalore
Posts: 74
Thanked: 41 Times
Default Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

I dropped off my TDI 1.5L for its first service, ODO was at 12K and the car just turned one. I have asked the SA to add a spare1 Ltr Engine oil bottle and a low tone horn as I didn't like the single tone horn that came with the car.

Said no to Alignment,balancing, no to wash if charged(its free now)
SA said something about 3 or 4 filters that are standard replacement

I just got off the phone and the bill turned out to be a whopping 15,756. the estimate was around 13,500 and now its overshot.

15750 - 2700(horn)+950(oil) = 12100

Does this look normal ?
I have mixed feelings about this, I was hoping to get everything done within 14k but now overshot by around 2k, anything I need to pay attention to when I pick up the car tomorrow ?

This is VW rajaji nagar, one of the Trusted Service centers in Bangalore

Thanks.
kishore1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos laluks Technical Stuff 8756 23rd October 2017 12:56
Car Battery: Dos and Don'ts! evilshantanu Technical Stuff 198 15th August 2017 11:57
Maruti's new Service Packages - MCP (Maintenance Cost Protect) for its entire range of cars RavenAvi Technical Stuff 17 11th July 2017 02:24
Effective Resume/CV creation ,dos and donts ,suggestions . black12rr Shifting gears 29 26th April 2011 00:55


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:15.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks