Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 20th June 2017, 09:24   #1321
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If I get alignment and balancing done locally, I should ask them to rotate the wheels. What is the recommended order of rotation?
This depends on whether your spare is a full size rim or a rim that's one size down. If it's a full size, include it in your rotation.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 09:53   #1322
Team-BHP Support

Seems to be a major spare parts shortage at VW. Alternator on my 7 year old Vento needs changing and the car is sitting at VW Pune West (BU Bhandari) for over a week now. They first said 3 days then "confirmed" delivery by Saturday only to do a vote face claiming the alternator belt was not available anywhere in Western India and is arriving from Gurgaon this week.

No loaner car either. Earlier they said they would give one of this extended beyond 3 days. It's been 10 days now.
noopster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 16:25   #1323
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
... ... ... For front wheel driven vehicles, the rear tyres are shifted to the opposite front and the front tyres are shifted to the corresponding rears.
Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
This depends on whether your spare is a full size rim or a rim that's one size down. If it's a full size, include it in your rotation.
My spare is the works! Full size and matching alloy

But it has not been included in the rotation during previous services, so I have four 3-year-use tyres and one unused tyre. What to do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Seems to be a major spare parts shortage ... ... ...
One of our members could not get a rear wiper, which is about as basic consumable as it gets. Hope we are not seeing a running down of VW service, which I have had no troubles with at all over past six years so far.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 18:01   #1324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.My spare is the works! Full size and matching alloy
But it has not been included in the rotation during previous services, so I have four 3-year-use tyres and one unused tyre. What to do?
Lucky you! I don't think there are any issues using one new and three used tyres but best to get a second opinion on that. It does annoy my sense of OCD very much. Assuming it's all okay, you'd want to keep the spare on and rotate the others in and out until those four wear out completely. Your current spare can go till the end of your next set of tyres (at that point, replace all five).

I know you're thinking, but will I keep the car for that long? The answer is yes, absolutely you will. In fact, many many more sets of tyres later, your well maintained Polo is a cult classic amidst a sea of soulless self driving appliances. Heads will turn every time you roll down the street, as the mighty diesel roars amidst the hushed hum of an all electric society. Small children will look on in wonder and knowledgeable fathers will tell them, oh so wistfully, about the days of yore when the Polo was all the rage, setting hearts on fire everywhere it went. You will glance casually at the admiring crowds from behind your dark sunglasses, nod in acknowledgement, blip the throttle as you downshift, and drive off into the splendid sunset.

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 20th June 2017 at 18:03.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 18:03   #1325
BHPian

Quote:
One of our members could not get a rear wiper, which is about as basic consumable as it gets. Hope we are not seeing a running down of VW service, which I have had no troubles with at all over past six years so far.
I have not got the radio antenna for my Polo. It is broken from the base. They do not have the base in stock. They have the antenna. I have been trying for two years now. It is not available outside in any shop either.
Ketan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 21:21   #1326
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Lucky you! I don't think there are any issues using one new and three used tyres but best to get a second opinion on that. It does annoy my sense of OCD very much. Assuming it's all okay, you'd want to keep the spare on and rotate the others in and out until those four wear out completely. Your current spare can go till the end of your next set of tyres (at that point, replace all five).
Quote:
I know you're thinking, but will I keep the car for that long? The answer is yes, absolutely you will. In fact, many many more sets of tyres later, your well maintained Polo is a cult classic amidst a sea of soulless self driving appliances. Heads will turn every time you roll down the street, as the mighty diesel roars amidst the hushed hum of an all electric society. Small children will look on in wonder and knowledgeable fathers will tell them, oh so wistfully, about the days of yore when the Polo was all the rage, setting hearts on fire everywhere it went. You will glance casually at the admiring crowds from behind your dark sunglasses, nod in acknowledgement, blip the throttle as you downshift, and drive off into the splendid sunset.
Beautiful! Until you zoom in to the 90-year-old in the driving seat!

Yes, I hope that I will keep the car that long. I much prefer your reasons: mine are that, when I am 75, in a mere ten years, the bikers around me will still be in their teens and probably worse drivers than they are today --- and I don't think I will have the senses or the sense to be able to handle it. So, floods allowing, I bought this car feeling that it will outlive, not me, but my ability to drive. On the other hand, my mum drove until a few months before her death just three weeks short of 90, so I won't rule out a few more sets of tyres!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan T View Post
I have not got the radio antenna for my Polo. It is broken from the base. They do not have the base in stock. They have the antenna. I have been trying for two years now. It is not available outside in any shop either.
So is the situation that there is nothing wrong with the base except that it has a broken-off antenna screwed into it? Shame on your A-S-S if they cannot handle the removing-a broken-screw scenario! Perhaps you might find a real engineer-mechanic at an independent!

Or is the base itself broken?

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 20th June 2017 at 21:25.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 21:29   #1327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Seems to be a major spare parts shortage at VW. Alternator on my 7 year old Vento needs changing and the car is sitting at VW Pune West (BU Bhandari) for over a week now. They first said 3 days then "confirmed" delivery by Saturday only to do a vote face claiming the alternator belt was not available anywhere in Western India and is arriving from Gurgaon this week.
Got me wondering why they (BUB i.e. BU Bhandari) need to replace the alternator assembly. What alt. part failed? Wasn't repairing/replacing the affected part an option?

At 7 years old I guess your Vento is out of warranty and this replacement will put a dent in your wallet.

PS: My musings are from the fact that most alternators can be repaired. They aren't complicated machines..mechanically or electrically speaking.

Last edited by R2D2 : 20th June 2017 at 21:31. Reason: added PS
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2017, 01:03   #1328
BHPian

Quote:

So is the situation that there is nothing wrong with the base except that it has a broken-off antenna screwed into it? Shame on your A-S-S if they cannot handle the removing-a broken-screw scenario! Perhaps you might find a real engineer-mechanic at an independent!

Or is the base itself broken?

The base itself is broken. They do not have the base in stock.
Ketan T is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote