Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2010, 23:56   #1576
mkh
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,070
Thanked: 102 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
OMG! Yea just remembered it was for 806INR + 600INR(shipping!)

and normal 21-30 day shipping(express delivery is insanely priced!!)

Here are some pics!
(in some pics you might see reflections of the wires(they aren't scratches! )
+ in last few pics you can even see me!

The reflectivity of the paint after waxing literally had me shocked!
passers by were impressed too( you can tell by the "Whoa..." expression on their faces! lol )
The cost is Rs 1552( cost 826+ shipping 726) from 20north- had seen before ordering a couple of them from US where it is for Rs 1100.00 at the most...did you get a rebate or something?
Am planning to get a few more things from the US- cost is much lesser if use free shipping option..NXT wax is about Rs700 if taking free shipping option..
BTW dude- are you not waxing the car a lot?? once every 3 months is good enough maybe...did you wax the last time when you clayed?
on a light note: i guess you must be causing heartburn to neighbors
another question- what microfiber are you using?

Last edited by mkh : 23rd January 2010 at 23:58.
mkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2010, 13:25   #1577
Senior - BHPian
 
sohail99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,250
Thanked: 146 Times
Default

Didn't get any rebate on it!

btw Rs.700 shipped is an awesome price!!(via 20north??)

And yea! I too feel I wax quite a lot! lol
I had given the car for some dent-repair last week and when I got it back, they hadn't even used the rubbing compound properly! not to mention they had 'oiled' the body and wash quality - 0

had to wash the i20 and rub it to gloss, myself and then applied "Turtle Wax Platinum series Precision Car Wax(liquid)" the same day

Shine and smoothness were amazing but I really liked the fact that you don't have to 'buff like hell' with the liquid waxes!(That too the turtle Wax (Precision Series)one!)

And since I got the NXT recently, I really wanted to try it on ASAP!
so waxed yesterday afternoon itself!

Today morning I saw dust particles trickeling down the surface!! Earlier they used to just sit there!

totally worth it!

and I use one Megs Microfiber Towel(M9910) and 4 other 'Sheen' brand MF towels(available at 'in & out' stores)
sohail99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2010, 18:35   #1578
mkh
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,070
Thanked: 102 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Didn't get any rebate on it!

btw Rs.700 shipped is an awesome price!!(via 20north??)

And yea! I too feel I wax quite a lot! lol
I had given the car for some dent-repair last week and when I got it back, they hadn't even used the rubbing compound properly! not to mention they had 'oiled' the body and wash quality - 0

had to wash the i20 and rub it to gloss, myself and then applied "Turtle Wax Platinum series Precision Car Wax(liquid)" the same day

Shine and smoothness were amazing but I really liked the fact that you don't have to 'buff like hell' with the liquid waxes!(That too the turtle Wax (Precision Series)one!)

And since I got the NXT recently, I really wanted to try it on ASAP!
so waxed yesterday afternoon itself!

Today morning I saw dust particles trickeling down the surface!! Earlier they used to just sit there!

totally worth it!

and I use one Megs Microfiber Towel(M9910) and 4 other 'Sheen' brand MF towels(available at 'in & out' stores)
Interesting- prices vary probably a little...well Rs 700 is a price in the US- then someone has to carry it with them to india
Where did you buy the Turtle wax platinum series ?
You are spending a lot on wax...next time try and get it from someone who is coming back from the US..
What is the cost of the cloth you bought from "In and Out"? Are these stores the ones which BPCL petrol pump runs?

BTW:
3m Sells a cloth that is ONLY for the industrial usage- their detailing centers. Its a superb one- the centers use it daily, wash it and the cloth lasts about 3 months( was told by the center)
The cloth sells for Rs 2000 for 6 of them...and not sold outside...
Have a friend who can source ...PM me if anyone would like one...go to a 3M detailing center and see it

SPAR in bangalore has a few microfibers also- good ones...SPAR seems to have the best collection of Microfibers for people in Bangalore
They have wash mitts, 3M cloth(retail ones), Some French make set of 3 and a recent addition something that is single cloth and worth Rs 150 per piece. Will try and get some photos i go there next time to post here...

Last edited by mkh : 24th January 2010 at 18:42.
mkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2010, 21:14   #1579
Senior - BHPian
 
sohail99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,250
Thanked: 146 Times
Default

Yea! I kinda have made a collection of different waxes lol!

I love detailing and taking care of my i20. Seeing it shine gives me all the pleasure in the world!

btw I got the Turtle wax platinum series locally(since the Megs Gold Class wax was running out pretty quickly! ) for ~ 470INR
You also get them at Xenos.in or their authorized outlets(mentioned in the website)

Yea! I got em at in&out store at BP pump for 72INR each.

Even 5 MF towels are not enough sometimes, during detailing.
I'll be interested in getting some from 3M if possible

Last edited by sohail99 : 24th January 2010 at 21:20.
sohail99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2010, 22:29   #1580
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 660
Thanked: 135 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Follow Up:
Anyways- folks please KEEP AWAY FROM CARZ SPA for exterior treatment..wish i can have more people read this..maybe should start a new thread on this...any suggestions?
+1 to this !! I went to the BIMAL CARZ SPA showroom near the WHitefield Honda showroom & found them to be nothing but a bunch of jokers !!

- The have no designated area to wash the car before detailing, they wash it on the road side !
- Not even a sofa for a customer to sit down on, just an empty hall, looking more like a fly - by - night operation rather than a professional detailing center.
- They don't even have a proper pressure wash, it just sprays a light spray and they don't even clean the under body to remove the dirt and mud built up underneath.
- Technically very poor knowledge & unable to answer my queries

I left, thoroughly disgusted at having traveled so far in vain, hoping to get some good options for exterior treatment.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 00:02   #1581
BHPian
 
akshay_b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 362
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Some French make set of 3 and a recent addition something that is single cloth and worth Rs 150 per piece. Will try and get some photos i go there next time to post here...
The french make MFs are not good, Only one is an actual MF, the other one is like a very think terry towel, and the last one is like a thin velvet cloth. Not worth it.
akshay_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 01:10   #1582
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: -_-
Posts: 314
Thanked: 111 Times
Default

the method i believe in is to wash the car with with running water and wipe of the access water with any clean absorbent dry cloth, keep it covered as much as possible.also use waxpol wax polish as often as possible but at least twice a month.the polishing should be done right after cleaning the car in the above mentioned way. with metallic paints the shine is unbelievable. if a person sticks to this procedure , swirl marks wont even come into existence, however this means firing the car cleaning guy and cleaning yourself

since i am a college going guy, my car is rarely used, remains covered all the time , and is washed max once a week(so i dont have to live with the guilt of wasting water). but the above way is the best and the right way to wash. this method is mentioned in my cars users manual as well(wash car with running water and wipe with cloth)

if you wipe your car with a cloth the dust particles get trapped between the cloth and the paint and act like an abrasive(sandpaper). this is the real cause of the swirl marks
mycarhasablower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 02:13   #1583
Senior - BHPian
 
blackasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kolkata, WB
Posts: 2,626
Thanked: 755 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
also use waxpol wax polish as often as possible but at least twice a month.
Twice a month waxing!
I would have muscles like sallu bhai in no time if i follow that regime
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 13:09   #1584
mkh
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,070
Thanked: 102 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
...

Yea! I got em at in&out store at BP pump for 72INR each.

Even 5 MF towels are not enough sometimes, during detailing.
I'll be interested in getting some from 3M if possible
What is the size of the towels you got and what is the make? Are they 70-30 or 80-20(polyster-polyamide ratio)
If you need a pack of meguiars- i got 1 extra, but dunno how to get them to delhi(maybe courier?)
Also for 3M , i can get them, but they are giving 6 and i really do not need that many, if you need 3-4, i can share them with you..again courier is the best option looks like. PM me -that way its better

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
+1 to this !! I went to the BIMAL CARZ SPA showroom near the WHitefield Honda showroom & found them to be nothing but a bunch of jokers !!

- The have no designated area to wash the car before detailing, they wash it on the road side !
- Not even a sofa for a customer to sit down on, just an empty hall, looking more like a fly - by - night operation rather than a professional detailing center.
- They don't even have a proper pressure wash, it just sprays a light spray and they don't even clean the under body to remove the dirt and mud built up underneath.
- Technically very poor knowledge & unable to answer my queries

I left, thoroughly disgusted at having traveled so far in vain, hoping to get some good options for exterior treatment.
You are right- and did you see the space they have for cars to get in- man i was holding my breath when my car was getting inside and out. And if there are 2 cars inside, the inner car cant get out without asking the outside one to move...what a really badly managed place...none should even think about going for exterior enrichment...i wonder why did you even go after reading my post?
I suggest and i learnt this from bad exp- go to 3M..at all service centers they have their detailing service- they are professionals...

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
The french make MFs are not good, Only one is an actual MF, the other one is like a very think terry towel, and the last one is like a thin velvet cloth. Not worth it.
Yeah they are not that great- the orange one is decent and it lifts dust and is good...the blue one i used to clear wax- was decent...dunno whats the use of the yellow one..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
...

if you wipe your car with a cloth the dust particles get trapped between the cloth and the paint and act like an abrasive(sandpaper). this is the real cause of the swirl marks
I think if we wipe our car daily- like we need to in indian conditions, there are vvvvv remote chances that your car surface is intact after a few months..minor surface scratches WILL COME...if you look really close against the light i.e
Also - a new car also has swirls- again you cannot make out- but put under the light and look vv close- you can see them...the final question is- how far do you really want to take it, is what i found out...keep the surface clean and do not rub with any abrasive cloth to keep it as close to the best you can...
mkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 20:24   #1585
Senior - BHPian
 
J.Ravi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,166
Thanked: 3,880 Times
Default

My Fiat Linea is going to be pampered with-
  • 3M Shine & Shield comprising car shampoo, tyre shield, plast shield and glass shine [all 250 ml each] with a free 36 cm x 30 cm yellow micro-fibre cloth costing Rs 99. MRP: Rs 495. Billed Rs 485 at Reliance Autozone today.
  • Recron [a Reliance Product] cream magic wipe 12" x 14" micro-fibre cloth. MRP: Rs 99. Billed Rs 97 at Reliance Autozone today.
  • Formula 1 Carnauba Car Wax costing Rs 299. But I paid Rs 99 only utilizing the gift voucher of Rs 200 in ebay.in. I received it today from the courier. My second transaction with ebay.in is successful. But, unlucky with my first transaction: I have sought refund from ebay.in for non-delivery of Jopasu Car Duster.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 21:16   #1586
Senior - BHPian
 
sohail99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,250
Thanked: 146 Times
Default

^Awesome!!

Do post pics before and after pampering your Linea!

@mkh - The size of the 'Sheen' towels are 40x40cms in dimensions
unfortunately no polyester-polyamide ratio is mentioned anywhere on the packing!

btw I used 'Formula1 Instant Detailer' today and its really an awesome product to maintain the shine and smoothness between waxing sessions!

I'll keep it in my i20 at all times from now on!
sohail99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 21:23   #1587
Distinguished - BHPian
 
IronH4WK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,441
Thanked: 2,993 Times
Default

@sohail99: that's one helluva shine mate! pray nobody touches that beautiful car of yours
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 23:10   #1588
BHPian
 
akshay_b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 362
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post

btw I used 'Formula1 Instant Detailer' today and its really an awesome product to maintain the shine and smoothness between waxing sessions!

I'll keep it in my i20 at all times from now on!
How much did the F1 detailer cost you and where did you buy it?
akshay_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 23:49   #1589
Senior - BHPian
 
sohail99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,250
Thanked: 146 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
@sohail99: that's one helluva shine mate! pray nobody touches that beautiful car of yours
I pray every second man!! I just want my i20 to be safe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
How much did the F1 detailer cost you and where did you buy it?
My dad bought it for me locally! Its the third product from the top here- Formula 1 - Carnauba Wax

I don't exactly know the price currently!(neither there is any price label on it)

will ask my dad and let you know!
sohail99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 13:27   #1590
mkh
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,070
Thanked: 102 Times
Default 3m Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Follow Up:
The guy called up after a couple of calls from me. He said they asked the experts in Surat and they told its most likely a case of improper/unclean pad. Also they told that if the pad is not cleaned the residue becomes hard and can scratch the surface. He also told that they are ordering a new pad..god help the cars who get "treated" with the old one..
I also told him- you guys use dirty micro- he said sorry sir, we should not etc..
I get a feeling- this is just a time pass unit they have opened as an experiment..they care little for whats going on there..(bimal folks)
He said that i can take a refund
I am all happy and will go to 3M folks promptly to get it cleared
BTW i asked him to give me a couple of microfiber cloths they use free as i was royally mistreated and the guy says that it costs Rs 1000 apiece so cannot give me
Not sure what to trust- as the technician there had told me its worth 600-700...wonder what its made of- gold plating to cost that much???
Anyways- folks please KEEP AWAY FROM CARZ SPA for exterior treatment..wish i can have more people read this..maybe should start a new thread on this...any suggestions?
HI All
Finally i got a solution- i went to 3M at Hyundai (Trident) and got the treatment
Professional and FANTASTIC is what i call the service given.

I am a regular customer there and i have a LONG standing relation hence got a great discount also.
They come closest to what you want if you are a perfectionist - they do have some areas to improve on but the rest was top class
They did leave some residue over from the rubbing compound in the beadings and also small beading on the roof has got rubbed and abrased due to the machine but thats a small thing- a rubber polish will cover that up the next time i visit them
CARz Spa are jokers in front of what i got from 3M....they have NO idea what detailing is all about.
The current shine is super- the scratches are 95% gone- 100% cannot anyways and i have just been wiping my car using micro cloth since the past 2 days- no detailing, washing, etc needed which is so much fun. I think in this weather, it would last for another month before i need to apply any effort to clean and surely another 2 months before i wax. I will use Megs Ultimate Quick Wax once in 10 days or so to maintain the wax on it.
Highly recommended and suggested- akshay did tell me, but i was unwise in looking at the distance from home and went to Carz Spa.
Now- only task to get a FULL REFUND from Craz Spa morons...
mkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windshield Polishing & Detailing: Glass Polish India Ltd (Chembur, Mumbai) Epic Mumbai 3 23rd March 2016 10:25
Mixed experience: Car detailing & cleaning from Carzippi.com rajeshsundaram Modifications & Accessories 0 1st February 2016 23:07
Car Detailing & Interior Cleaning - Auto Shine (Kandivali West, Mumbai) renney.varghese Mumbai 62 19th November 2015 17:18
Car Cleaning & Polishing: Thejas Autospa (Phoenix Mall, Chennai) razorBlades Chennai 3 24th August 2015 11:05
Cleaning, Polishing, Painting, etc - Carz Spa (Mangalore, KA) james Other Cities 6 20th December 2013 10:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:15.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks