Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2007, 21:21   #166
Team-BHP Support
 
Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 7,110
Thanked: 4,128 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrsraghav View Post
Anyone knows any details of 3m paint care points in gurgaon or delhi??
I have been trying to find some too but to no avail. Please let me know if you come across any
Eddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2007, 11:12   #167
BHPian
 
Speedme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 44
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

I guess some of the 3M products are available at Khan Market!!! How ever I not sure on the authenticity of these products!!
Speedme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2007, 11:21   #168
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: mumbai/delhi
Posts: 26
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrsraghav View Post
Is there anything specific to shine the Metallic car name installed at the rear of most cars. Like in Adventure its written "Adventure sports" at the rear, and "16v 100" at ahead of front doors on both sides.
I think its some steel coated with chrome.
You can try WD40. It is an antirust + rust protector of sorts, available at almost every electrician/hardware shop
vidurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2007, 12:50   #169
Team-BHP Support
 
Rudra Sen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,151
Thanked: 3,561 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrsraghav View Post
I think its some steel coated with chrome.
They're all plastic and chrome plated. Do not try any metal polish on them.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2007, 17:25   #170
BHPian
 
hrsraghav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 287
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
They're all plastic and chrome plated. Do not try any metal polish on them.
Rudraji i think its metal, bca its showing red dots of rust.
I tried the Mr. Muscle (the one advertised in TV for removing stains of hard water on tiles, and stains on Kitchen appliances).
I sprayed it, waited for few minutes then scrubbed it gently with toothbrush. I repeated it 5-6 times and rust was removed considerably.
Only drawback was that the adjoining paint showed faided marks.
I applied formula -1 polish on it, and the shine of paint was recovered.
All in all, it worked to some extent.
hrsraghav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2007, 17:41   #171
BHPian
 
hrsraghav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 287
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidurm View Post
You can try WD40. It is an antirust + rust protector of sorts, available at almost every electrician/hardware shop
Does it remove existing scratches too? And what do you think about BRASSO.
Its used to shine the metals, and specially copper alloys.
hrsraghav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2007, 00:24   #172
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: mumbai/delhi
Posts: 26
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

No no. It does not remove scratches. It just removes rust. I have used it on multiple things, including my guitar and it works like a charm. Brasso is for golden coloured brass things, my brother uses it to clean his drum cymbals, i dont think it would be any good on chrome. Silvo might work....
vidurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2007, 11:38   #173
BHPian
 
hrsraghav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 287
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

WHICH PAINT CARE PRODUCTS

Following this thread, i have concluded to get following items for my Adventure.

1) Wax polish, which can remove minor scratches.
2) Tyre cleaners
3) Dashboard cleaner
4) Glass claner for windshields and door glass
5) Car shampoo for washing
6) Blue cloth for cleaning
7) Someting which can clean and shine the Black Bumpers.

My adventure is in silver frost colour. Also for Item No. 7 I am not sure whether dash board cleaner can be used, or i need separate product.
Now at the start of thread Rudraji have mentioned following brands
Turtle, SONAX and Waxpol. Also i have seen few peoples using Formula 1 kits also. So all the experts are requested to advice, whether these items are sufficient and which brand is best.
Right now I am just using Formula-1 carnabua Wax.
Regards
hrsraghav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2007, 11:41   #174
BHPian
 
hrsraghav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 287
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrsraghav View Post
WHICH PAINT CARE PRODUCTS

Following this thread, i have concluded to get following items for my Adventure.

1) Wax polish, which can remove minor scratches.
2) Tyre cleaners
3) Dashboard cleaner
4) Glass claner for windshields and door glass
5) Car shampoo for washing
6) Blue cloth for cleaning
7) Someting which can clean and shine the Black Bumpers.

My adventure is in silver frost colour. Also for Item No. 7 I am not sure whether dash board cleaner can be used, or i need separate product.
Now at the start of thread Rudraji have mentioned following brands
Turtle, SONAX and Waxpol. Also i have seen few peoples using Formula 1 kits also. So all the experts are requested to advice, whether these items are sufficient and which brand is best.
Right now I am just using Formula-1 carnabua Wax.
Regards
sorry i forgot one major priority for me,
i need that glossy wet look and sort of a coating on paint surface which feels very smooth and dirt dont stick on it, so which wax polish is best for this effect.
hrsraghav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2007, 11:45   #175
Team-BHP Support
 
Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 7,110
Thanked: 4,128 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrsraghav View Post
6) Blue cloth for cleaning
I am not sure if this is the one you are talking about, but there is one blue colored microfiber cloth available at Big Bazaar ( Ambience Mall, ggn) for 150 bucks. I got it last week but have not used it yet.

Will post the brand name tonight but its manufactured somewhere in Pune.
Eddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2007, 11:51   #176
Team-BHP Support
 
Rudra Sen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,151
Thanked: 3,561 Times
Default

My choice:

1) Wax polish, which can remove minor scratches = Turtle/Waxpol/3M if you get.
2) Tyre cleaners = Hard bristle brush with soap. Waxpol tyre shine. Wipe it after applying to get that matt black look.
3) Dashboard cleaner = 3M. Will work for your point 7 also.
4) Glass claner for windshields and door glass = 3M. Simply fantastic.
5) Car shampoo for washing = SONAX
6) Blue cloth for cleaning = Have a proper hot water wash before using it.
7) Someting which can clean and shine the Black Bumpers = As in point 3

Adding one more = Pure wax for polish. Do not mix up please. Polish with cleaning properties remove a coat of paint. Pure wax (only) puts a protective coat and gloss.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2007, 11:56   #177
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 598
Thanked: 514 Times
Default

Just my 0.02:

Right after washing your car, please wash the cloths/chamois also very carefully and dry it in a dust-free place. Most people just forget that and they end up with semi-dirty cloths that they use over and over again. Result in bad outcome.

I've tried one tablespoon of vinegar with a bottle of water (about 500 ml) in a squirter to clean my windshield. Works very well if you have greasy stuff on your windshield. As mentioned in a lot of posts here, atleast for your glass components, please be generous with water.

Do ensure that your car is completely dry and the surface is cool before applying wax. A few members has asked why the surface should be cool. The wax is a binder i.e. it binds (sticks) to the paint surface very slightly so that the top gets coated and the wax stays. If the wax is applied in a hot surface, the binding is a lot more than it should be and removing it will be a problem. Better safe than sorry

While cleaning, start from the top. As Rudra mentioned, do it in parts, not soap the entire car. I do it in the following order: wheels & wheel wells(cleaning, washing), roof, glass, side panels, boot, hood, bumpers and wheels once again.

One last thing I'd like to say is that, atleast once in a while, you should wash your own car. Lot of people just give it to someone else (driver, the gardener, local service station guy) to get their cars shiny and new. But the pleasure in cleaning your own car is something you'll enjoy. Especially make it a family activity and spend some quality time. Not to mention, you'll see dents/scratches etc carefully and not ignore them like your "outsourced cleaner" . hehe..
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2007, 12:56   #178
BHPian
 
rmonie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 200
Thanked: 32 Times
Default

There is a new car cleaning service available in Gurgaon in Sahara Mall. Have not checked it out as yet will do so & update.
rmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2007, 13:06   #179
Senior - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 1,956
Thanked: 981 Times
Default

Rudra'ji (and other experts)!

I am keen to safeguard my new black Aveo's colour/finish and need some advice from TBHians.

3M offers their proprietary 'Paint Protection' treatment through Sundaram Motors, the sole GM dealer here in Bangalore. The cost is Rs. 4,500 and consists of 3 separate sessions which can be carried out within 1 calendar year of the first session.

I also spoke to 3M's marketing representative here in BLR and cross-checked that 3M has stopped offering this particular treatment outside of the car dealerships. This means that private parties can still offer '3M' treatment but the same is not guaranteed by 3M in case of any dissatisfaction with the end result.

So is 4.5k for a year's protection worth it? Remember, my car is black and I have already collected swirl marks etc in the last 3 months!

Any advice will be highly appreciated!

Also, has anyone actually tried out The Car Care Club referred to in Jaggu's post? (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...tml#post628904)

It looks an interesting deal.

Last edited by itwasntme : 19th November 2007 at 13:09. Reason: Typo
itwasntme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2007, 14:24   #180
Senior - BHPian
 
androdev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,432
Thanked: 1,107 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Rudra'ji (and other experts)!

I am keen to safeguard my new black Aveo's colour/finish and need some advice from TBHians.

3M offers their proprietary 'Paint Protection' treatment through Sundaram Motors, the sole GM dealer here in Bangalore. The cost is Rs. 4,500 and consists of 3 separate sessions which can be carried out within 1 calendar year of the first session.

I also spoke to 3M's marketing representative here in BLR and cross-checked that 3M has stopped offering this particular treatment outside of the car dealerships. This means that private parties can still offer '3M' treatment but the same is not guaranteed by 3M in case of any dissatisfaction with the end result.

So is 4.5k for a year's protection worth it? Remember, my car is black and I have already collected swirl marks etc in the last 3 months!

Any advice will be highly appreciated!

Also, has anyone actually tried out The Car Care Club referred to in Jaggu's post? (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...tml#post628904)

It looks an interesting deal.
Why did you buy a black color car in Bangalore!! Now that you did buy it, do not be obsessed with keeping it in showroom condition :-)

I got that 3M stuff done - but for the life of me I can't tell the difference between my car and other cars in terms of finish and gloss. Maybe it protects it from fading, bird droppings, etc. but I didn't see any shine/gloss. The swirl marks are inevitable. Anyways, I have faith in 3M and I hope their treatment is actually protecting my paint. I am sure their 2nd and 3rd free treatments will offer more value because the car will look dull by then.

Note1: Ask them to cover the plastic/rubber surfaces with some masking tape or there will be white residues on the black plastic/rubber parts which will be very hard to remove later.

Note2: The method of daily cleaning of the car will determine the finish of your car. No amount of 3M stuff can help you there.
androdev is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car Detailing and Cleaning - 3M Car Care (Koramangala, Bangalore) nareshtrao Bangalore 25 25th October 2016 15:12
Professional Car Detailing - Sparkle Detailing (Delhi) tsk13 Delhi NCR 11 22nd October 2016 08:34
Windshield Polishing & Detailing: Glass Polish India Ltd (Chembur, Mumbai) Epic Mumbai 3 23rd March 2016 10:25
Car Cleaning & Polishing: Thejas Autospa (Phoenix Mall, Chennai) razorBlades Chennai 3 24th August 2015 11:05
Cleaning, Polishing, Painting, etc - Carz Spa (Mangalore, KA) james Other Cities 6 20th December 2013 10:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:55.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks