Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2010, 13:20   #2041
BHPian
 
praful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 937
Thanked: 379 Times
Default

Guys is there any consolidated post in this thread on what to use for what?

I attempted reading thread from the start and lost patience less than half way. There are just too many different items and brands to consider.

I am a first time car owner, just recently picked up a Palio. The previous owner has maintained it pretty well. Swirls are pretty less considering it was 20K kms run car.

Now I need to know what all do I need to have in my kitty to bring back the brand new shine of the car. I plan on working on it myself by hand. I need to everything from what kind of cloth to what shampoo/wax/detailer/etc is a "must have" in my kitty.

Can someone please help me?

Also would be great if someone can point me in the direction where I can get most of this stuff at a reasonable prices!!!
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 17:57   #2042
BHPian
 
NOTORIOUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 782
Thanked: 85 Times
Default

any update on meguirs products ???
NOTORIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 19:24   #2043
Senior - BHPian
 
sohail99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,251
Thanked: 148 Times
Default

@Notorious - You can try scratch out paste.

Dunno about others, 3M Finesse it would be too harsh!!(only meant for deep scratches/to be used post wet-sanding)

-----------------------------------------------------

Today Finally I mastered(kinda ) wet sanding and rubbing on a freshly painted panel(Only painted, not finished!)

I was having doubts regarding the sanding techniques of bodyshop guys etc.
So, got hold of a 3M 1000Grit and a 2000grit sandpapers

In theory, I knew how much I had to sand and the indicators of a perfect wet-sanding job!

after spending good 2-3 hrs the final finish was amazing!!!(UC is a godsent!!)

I finally figured the most important factor necessary for a perfect wet-sanding job

-Dedication and the passion to see you car shine just like it used to(before some crook banged it)

-and the most important, Patience and want for perfection!
sohail99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 23:14   #2044
BHPian
 
Garipagol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 192
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
i am the "unofficial supplier" of megs products for folks here
I think i should turn into a regular soon!! Am trying to see if an importer friend of mine who keeps getting his shipments from all over North America and Europe can add some megs stuff each time he travels. I am expecting some microfibers and NXT from Megs in 1-2 months
Folks keep checking the classifieds for extra stuff that i am posting, cannot post here as mods ask me to put on the classifieds only.
Hit this address through the Meguires dealer locator, have you guys tried to get in touch with ms. Ramachandran? I tried the phone a couple of times...

High Performance composites & Coatings PVT LTD
E-61/62/63 Solaris Complex, Unit No 1 Saki Vihar Road,
Powai, Andheri (East) Mumbai 400 072
Mrs. Geeta Ramachandran
Phone: 91-22-28570180
Fax: 91-22-28575844
Email: hpcc@bom3.vsnl.net.in


meguiars.com: Dealer Locator

Rgds
Garipagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 23:50   #2045
Senior - BHPian
 
blackasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kolkata, WB
Posts: 2,658
Thanked: 798 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garipagol View Post
Hit this address through the Meguires dealer locator, have you guys tried to get in touch with ms. Ramachandran? I tried the phone a couple of times...

High Performance composites & Coatings PVT LTD
E-61/62/63 Solaris Complex, Unit No 1 Saki Vihar Road,
Powai, Andheri (East) Mumbai 400 072
Mrs. Geeta Ramachandran
Phone: 91-22-28570180
Fax: 91-22-28575844
Email: hpcc@bom3.vsnl.net.in


meguiars.com: Dealer Locator

Rgds

I tried to call up the megs Kolkata supplier a couple of times - but without any results.
Though the stuff I noticed in local Wal Mart should be enough to fill my shopping cart to carry back to India.Anything else I have to use amazon.com.
blackasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 01:00   #2046
Senior - BHPian
 
tsk13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,233
Thanked: 272 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Guys is there any consolidated post in this thread on what to use for what?

I attempted reading thread from the start and lost patience less than half way. There are just too many different items and brands to consider.

I am a first time car owner, just recently picked up a Palio. The previous owner has maintained it pretty well. Swirls are pretty less considering it was 20K kms run car.

Now I need to know what all do I need to have in my kitty to bring back the brand new shine of the car. I plan on working on it myself by hand. I need to everything from what kind of cloth to what shampoo/wax/detailer/etc is a "must have" in my kitty.

Can someone please help me?

Also would be great if someone can point me in the direction where I can get most of this stuff at a reasonable prices!!!
Since you mentioned the plethora of brands being discussed here, I would recommend you the good ones easily available.

Shampoo: Sonax, 3M (Don't know how good this is)

Wax: Turtle Wax (Paste form)

Microfiber Cloth: 3M, Solo (The Stationery Brand)

Polish: Formula 1 Metallic Car Polish

Rubbing Compound: 3M Finesse It

For Tyres and Non-Painted Plastics: Waxpol Leather and Vinyl Polish and Formula 1's Shine-it-All

I would recommend you buy Rubbing Compound instead of Polish and use it for small scratches or bruises and never on the entire panel by yourself. This full scale job is to be undertaken by Professionals.

For the basic detailing, first shampoo your car and dry it (Use Microfibers as they're Lint-Free and have great Water Absorbing property). Apply the Wax using Sponge Applicator uniformly over the panel. Remember to first wax the roof and never use wax on non-painted plastics. Since you're new to Detailing go panel by panel, wax it and wait for about 10 minutes before buffing using Microfiber cloth.

Gradually try waxing the entire car at once and provide a longer drying period before buffing for excellent results. Post Waxing, take a piece of Sponge and use it with Waxpol's Leather and Vinyl Polish or Formula 1's Shine-it-All on Non-painted Plastics, Rubber parts and Tyres for that wet and glossy look.

Coming onto the Rubbing Compounds and Polishes, these are Abrasives used to remove scratches and bruise marks. Paint marks of other objects can be successfully removed with Non-Abrasive 3M's Liquid Wax (Success rate >90%). When this fails try using the Polish (Less Abrasive) and in case the marks are too strong then resort to the Rubbing Compound (Highly Abrasive). The method is to apply the Rubbing compound on the affected area with your hand, let it dry for a few seconds and buff. If the desired results have been achieved, wax the same area to smoothen the surface.

And do read this Wonderful thread by Sunilrj, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ond-brite.html (3M Paint Protection V/s Waxoyl V/s Dupont Teflon V/s Jewel Ultra Diamond Brite) I'm very grateful to this guy as he along with members like Parm, Raccoon and Bigman have guided me from the very beginning. It's unfortunate that now we seldomly interact in the threads but I'm obliged to them for their kind tutorials, advices, support etc.

Members active here like Notorious, Sohail99, mkh etc. have some of the best collections when it comes to detailing but the sole problem is their local availability. They've imported these products via 20North.com. The reason I didn't mention these world class Meguiars and other products was not to involve you in a frenzy search at this very moment but hope soon you'll be the one guiding us.
tsk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 12:51   #2047
BHPian
 
Gill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mohali
Posts: 693
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Meguiars update:-

Part # Description Size MRP
M10501 Ultra Cut Compound 1 Gallon / 3.78 L 8970.96
M10532 Ultra Cut Compound 32 oz / .945 L 3441.48
M20501 Ultra Finishing Polish 3.78 L 9197.41
M20532 Ultra Finishing Polish 946 ml 3738.62
G12711 NXT Generation Tech Paste Wax 11 oz / 311 g 2179.59
G12718 NXT Gen Tech Liquid Wax 2.0 18 oz / 532 ml 2209.62
W9000 SoftBuff Fin Pad 8" / 20 cm 1528.27
W8000 SoftBuff Pol Pad 8" / 20 cm 1455.18
G12711 NXT Generation Tech Paste Wax 11 oz / 311 g 2179.59

The have in stock Techwax liquid and finishing/polishing pad.For rest consignement is awaited.

No reply about G220v.2

Last edited by Gill : 9th April 2010 at 12:56.
Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 13:16   #2048
BHPian
 
praful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 937
Thanked: 379 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Members active here like Notorious, Sohail99, mkh etc. have some of the best collections when it comes to detailing but the sole problem is their local availability. They've imported these products via 20North.com. The reason I didn't mention these world class Meguiars and other products was not to involve you in a frenzy search at this very moment but hope soon you'll be the one guiding us.
Thanks tonne for this super duper useful post. I am going to take a print of this and keep!

Last edited by Eddy : 9th April 2010 at 13:26. Reason: Pls don't quote a long post. Thanks
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 15:01   #2049
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,017
Thanked: 519 Times
Default

Any feedbacks on Turtle Platinum series precision wax available on Xenos website? I have ordered one bottle.
poloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 15:05   #2050
mkh
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,070
Thanked: 103 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
Meguiars update:-

Part # Description Size MRP
M10501 Ultra Cut Compound 1 Gallon / 3.78 L 8970.96
M10532 Ultra Cut Compound 32 oz / .945 L 3441.48
M20501 Ultra Finishing Polish 3.78 L 9197.41
M20532 Ultra Finishing Polish 946 ml 3738.62
G12711 NXT Generation Tech Paste Wax 11 oz / 311 g 2179.59
G12718 NXT Gen Tech Liquid Wax 2.0 18 oz / 532 ml 2209.62
W9000 SoftBuff Fin Pad 8" / 20 cm 1528.27
W8000 SoftBuff Pol Pad 8" / 20 cm 1455.18
G12711 NXT Generation Tech Paste Wax 11 oz / 311 g 2179.59

The have in stock Techwax liquid and finishing/polishing pad.For rest consignement is awaited.

No reply about G220v.2
wow -look at the price they are selling the NXT for!!! I am getting some NXT waxes in this or the next month, folks coming from the US, it will be Rs 1100 or so, if you guys can wait, hold on Even with shipping to north, it will still be 1000 bucks lesser!! I guess i deserve a small commission now
mkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 15:51   #2051
BHPian
 
Gill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mohali
Posts: 693
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Another option for DA polisher locally available:-AEG Ex150, with orbital diameter of 3.2/6.4mm,bosch gex150 has 4mm. Price 20700-35% discount=rs13455 :-O
Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 16:41   #2052
BHPian
 
NOTORIOUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 782
Thanked: 85 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
Meguiars update:-

Part # Description Size MRP
M10501 Ultra Cut Compound 1 Gallon / 3.78 L 8970.96
M10532 Ultra Cut Compound 32 oz / .945 L 3441.48
M20501 Ultra Finishing Polish 3.78 L 9197.41
M20532 Ultra Finishing Polish 946 ml 3738.62
G12711 NXT Generation Tech Paste Wax 11 oz / 311 g 2179.59
G12718 NXT Gen Tech Liquid Wax 2.0 18 oz / 532 ml 2209.62
W9000 SoftBuff Fin Pad 8" / 20 cm 1528.27
W8000 SoftBuff Pol Pad 8" / 20 cm 1455.18
G12711 NXT Generation Tech Paste Wax 11 oz / 311 g 2179.59




how much discount on bulk order ????
NOTORIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 20:00   #2053
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 663
Thanked: 136 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
wow -look at the price they are selling the NXT for!!! I am getting some NXT waxes in this or the next month, folks coming from the US, it will be Rs 1100 or so, if you guys can wait, hold on Even with shipping to north, it will still be 1000 bucks lesser!! I guess i deserve a small commission now
Count me in for a tin of the Nxt wax !!!! Will seriously consider the commission too
nirmaljusdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 20:16   #2054
BHPian
 
NOTORIOUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 782
Thanked: 85 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Any feedbacks on Turtle Platinum series precision wax available on Xenos website? I have ordered one bottle.

you are asking for feedback after ordering ???? now as you have ordered already , its now your turn to give us a feedback
NOTORIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 20:20   #2055
Senior - BHPian
 
sohail99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,251
Thanked: 148 Times
Default

I'm in for the DA if they price it at ~ 10K(upto +5k)

Hey mkh, is it possible to get a NXT TechWax2.0(liquid) any time soon?? (will pay commission! )

btw TurtleWax precision car wax is a blended wax(i.e. it consists of a mixture of synthetic polymers and carnuba(brazilian(as they say) )

Its great for long term protection. As for me I like to use synthetic sealants and carnuba waxes as individual steps(1st layer of NXT, 2nd layer of carnuba)

also after waxing with TW precision wax the surface seemed a lot smoother and I could feel that the wax coat was quite durable too!

definitely one of the nicest waxes I've used

Last edited by sohail99 : 9th April 2010 at 20:34.
sohail99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car Detailing and Cleaning - 3M Car Care (Koramangala, Bangalore) nareshtrao Bangalore 25 25th October 2016 15:12
Professional Car Detailing - Sparkle Detailing (Delhi) tsk13 Delhi NCR 11 22nd October 2016 08:34
Windshield Polishing & Detailing: Glass Polish India Ltd (Chembur, Mumbai) Epic Mumbai 3 23rd March 2016 10:25
Car Cleaning & Polishing: Thejas Autospa (Phoenix Mall, Chennai) razorBlades Chennai 3 24th August 2015 11:05
Cleaning, Polishing, Painting, etc - Carz Spa (Mangalore, KA) james Other Cities 6 20th December 2013 10:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:43.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks