Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2010, 19:56   #2386
Senior - BHPian
 
samsag12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: City of Nawaabs
Posts: 1,611
Thanked: 199 Times
Default

Can a tyre shiner liquid be used on black plastic & rubberised plastic surface of a car. I mean can it be used on bumpers, windshield water channel plate etc.
P.S. is kerosene a good deterrent to stray dogs. Or what other can be used to prevent dogs from entering and taking a nap on the underside of the car. They are causing damage to the car cover its belt and what not. So need a good solution.
samsag12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 20:20   #2387
Senior - BHPian
 
blackasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kolkata, WB
Posts: 2,777
Thanked: 956 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Can a tyre shiner liquid be used on black plastic & rubberised plastic surface of a car. I mean can it be used on bumpers, windshield water channel plate etc.
P.S. is kerosene a good deterrent to stray dogs. Or what other can be used to prevent dogs from entering and taking a nap on the underside of the car. They are causing damage to the car cover its belt and what not. So need a good solution.
There are separate clear plastic shiners available - suggest that you use those. I would not use a tire shiner on other body parts.

As for the stray dogs - I consider them a boon taking a nap under my car - as it reduces the risk of a break in at night by multiples (sometimes I feed them too!). Your case may be different.
blackasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 21:04   #2388
Senior - BHPian
 
tsk13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,233
Thanked: 278 Times
Default

Guys, I posted this but yet to receive a feedback.

I've come across following two Random Orbit Sanders at Bosch's website(aka DA Polishers Random orbital sander - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) which I think can be used for Detailing as well. Link to Bosch India's website: http://www.bosch-pt.co.in/papocs-in/...9882/index.htm

I searched one of these sanders with reference to car detailing and read this page: Malaysia Honda Odyssey Forum • View topic - Bosch GEX 125-1 AE
tsk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 21:42   #2389
BHPian
 
Gill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mohali
Posts: 699
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

The cost for 150 gex is 13400/- and for 125ae is 8800/-.it's on higher side,taking into consideration their annual usage,moreover their orbital diameter is around 4mm,which is not much.
I was in same dilemma few months back, then decided to get the job done from a pro, once in a six months. value preposition is better in second case.
Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 22:05   #2390
BHPian
 
benzinblut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Bombay
Posts: 427
Thanked: 206 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Sohail - Thanks for the video, very informative !

Rajesh - Thanks for the tip ! Can you give us more details on the degreaser & how to go about applying & removing it ? Any recommended brands ? Btw, how about gravity being the factor why dust sticks on horizontal surfaces more than vertical surfaces ? Another example which comes to my mind is a TV. Theres always more dust on the top than the screen

Guys, ive shortlisted the following Megs products after some research, please suggest if any additions are required :

G1016 Smooth surface clay kit
A3016 Deep crystal System paint cleaner
A2116 Deep crystal System polish
G17216 Ultimate compound
G17616 Swirl X
G12718 Nxt generation tech wax 2.0
G14422 Ultimate quik detailer
X2020 Supreme shine microfiber towel - 3 pack
X3070 Foam applicator pads
Nirmal, I have a quite similar list for myself. How do you plan to import it? Would it be cheaper if we club our order?
benzinblut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 22:09   #2391
Senior - BHPian
 
blackfire_9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,075
Thanked: 187 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Guys, I posted this but yet to receive a feedback.

I've come across following two Random Orbit Sanders at Bosch's website(aka DA Polishers Random orbital sander - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) which I think can be used for Detailing as well. Link to Bosch India's website: http://www.bosch-pt.co.in/papocs-in/...9882/index.htm

I searched one of these sanders with reference to car detailing and read this page: Malaysia Honda Odyssey Forum • View topic - Bosch GEX 125-1 AE
I agree with Gill. But in case you are looking at DIY, then there are many VFM products out there in the market. You can ask your mechanic or the guys at the authorized workshops.

These brands that I speak of, may be inferior to Bosch, & there's probably no comparison to Meguiars (if they make any), but then they are cheaper & I have a feeling that they can be equally effective because I feel it's more about the technique than the tool.

Take care & drive safe.
blackfire_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 07:59   #2392
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Moga, PUNJAB
Posts: 94
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Guys, Got my car 'compound' by the local paintwala as there is no CarSpa or such agencies in Punjab.

Firstly, he rubbed whole of the car with 3M No. 2000 Sand Paper

Then, he applied WAXPOL's rubbing compound on whole of the car and rubbed it thoroughly. Most of the little scratches went away in this step.

Then, he used Formula1 Varnauba wax and waxed whole of the car with it.

This has given quite a great shine to my car but it's not like sohail's i20.
thorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 09:31   #2393
Senior - BHPian
 
tsk13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,233
Thanked: 278 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
The cost for 150 gex is 13400/- and for 125ae is 8800/-.it's on higher side,taking into consideration their annual usage,moreover their orbital diameter is around 4mm,which is not much.
I was in same dilemma few months back, then decided to get the job done from a pro, once in a six months. value preposition is better in second case.
Gill 22, thanks for the prices. Considering the prices, its better to get the Meguiar's one from the USA, it's for $149.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
I agree with Gill. But in case you are looking at DIY, then there are many VFM products out there in the market. You can ask your mechanic or the guys at the authorized workshops.

These brands that I speak of, may be inferior to Bosch, & there's probably no comparison to Meguiars (if they make any), but then they are cheaper & I have a feeling that they can be equally effective because I feel it's more about the technique than the tool.

Take care & drive safe.
Thanks Prakhar. I'm aware of the ones like gB, Eastman and few Chinese products but don't think they've DA Polishers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorpe View Post
Guys, Got my car 'compound' by the local paintwala as there is no CarSpa or such agencies in Punjab.

Firstly, he rubbed whole of the car with 3M No. 2000 Sand Paper

Then, he applied WAXPOL's rubbing compound on whole of the car and rubbed it thoroughly. Most of the little scratches went away in this step.

Then, he used Formula1 Varnauba wax and waxed whole of the car with it.

This has given quite a great shine to my car but it's not like sohail's i20.
Thrope, that's Carnauba Wax. Can you explain more about this Sand paper thing, I'm hearing it for the first time for Detailing.

Last edited by tsk13 : 28th May 2010 at 09:33.
tsk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 09:31   #2394
BHPian
 
benzinblut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Bombay
Posts: 427
Thanked: 206 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorpe View Post
Guys, Got my car 'compound' by the local paintwala as there is no CarSpa or such agencies in Punjab.

Firstly, he rubbed whole of the car with 3M No. 2000 Sand Paper

Then, he applied WAXPOL's rubbing compound on whole of the car and rubbed it thoroughly. Most of the little scratches went away in this step.

Then, he used Formula1 Varnauba wax and waxed whole of the car with it.

This has given quite a great shine to my car but it's not like sohail's i20.
Post some pics man. Before/After pics if possible.
benzinblut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 16:42   #2395
BHPian
 
NOTORIOUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 783
Thanked: 87 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Sohail - Thanks for the video, very informative !

Rajesh - Thanks for the tip ! Can you give us more details on the degreaser & how to go about applying & removing it ? Any recommended brands ? Btw, how about gravity being the factor why dust sticks on horizontal surfaces more than vertical surfaces ? Another example which comes to my mind is a TV. Theres always more dust on the top than the screen

Guys, ive shortlisted the following Megs products after some research, please suggest if any additions are required :

G1016 Smooth surface clay kit
A3016 Deep crystal System paint cleaner
A2116 Deep crystal System polish
G17216 Ultimate compound
G17616 Swirl X
G12718 Nxt generation tech wax 2.0
G14422 Ultimate quik detailer
X2020 Supreme shine microfiber towel - 3 pack
X3070 Foam applicator pads
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzinblut View Post
Nirmal, I have a quite similar list for myself. How do you plan to import it? Would it be cheaper if we club our order?
Even My List Is Ready , How to import is a problem !!!!!
NOTORIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 17:31   #2396
BHPian
 
NOTORIOUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 783
Thanked: 87 Times
Default

has anyone tried this

J & B Tool Sales
NOTORIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 21:11   #2397
BHPian
 
benzinblut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Bombay
Posts: 427
Thanked: 206 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
has anyone tried this

J & B Tool Sales
I think someone on this forum tried www.autogeek.net. Looks resonable to me. Comments and suggestions pls
benzinblut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 22:17   #2398
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 676
Thanked: 160 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Do add a California car duster to that list!! or get a Jopasu locally.

do get more than one UQDs as one tends to use it quite frequently(as it does give awesome results on a properly detailed paint)

Do check out their waxes(they have a wide selection of polishes/sealants etc.) - Car Wax, paint Sealants,Car Waxes, Show Car Wax, Best Car Wax, Carnauba Car wax, P21s Car wax, Pinnacle Souveran Wax, Meguiars car wax, Mothers
Thanks Sohail ! Will keep that in mind !

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzinblut View Post
Nirmal, I have a quite similar list for myself. How do you plan to import it? Would it be cheaper if we club our order?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
Even My List Is Ready , How to import is a problem !!!!!
Am still planning out myself, am expecting some friends back from the US may request them, also looking at other options ! Cant wait to get them I only wish Megs had a proper channel in India. Ive written a mail to them about the lousy performance of their distributor in Blore.Will write another mail to them about other distributors in India. Need to check out the competitiveness of the prices too.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 01:18   #2399
BHPian
 
Garipagol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 192
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzinblut View Post
I think someone on this forum tried www.autogeek.net. Looks resonable to me. Comments and suggestions pls
I have used Autogeek on numerous occcasons. Wolfgang & Pinnacle are owned by Palm Beach Motoring Accesories which also owns Autogeek. So if you want these brands Autogeek may be your answer. For a few other produsts like Klasse, 1Z Einszett, Merzerna etc (German brands) Autogeek is the best site. But for products from Meguire, Mothers, and a few others check out Amazon. Amazon will give you super saver free delivery to a US address (5-9 days) on these products. Amazon stocks many of the items from these brands. You will have to pay shipping only if you buy from one of their merchants. Minimum purchase is USD 25 to qualify for free shipping. Before buying Meguire products from anywhere else check Amazon, you may get a better deal. If you are set to buy, check out the detailing sites - they have memorial day specials on this weekend.

Rgds
Garipagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 01:35   #2400
BHPian
 
thelord's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 278
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

@NOTORIOUS
I've used JB Tool Sales. Good team and decent prices as well.
The only downside is they USPS for shipping which although being cheaper, is not reliable. Ask them to use UPS or Fedex, should not be much of a difference if you are getting quite a lot of things together.

And even if you plan to source the material from some other vendor, don't fall for USPS shipping option. USPS means that once your package reaches India, its all in the hands of the great Indian Postal Service on how/when and if you will ever receive your package.
thelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car Detailing and Cleaning - 3M Car Care (Koramangala, Bangalore) nareshtrao Bangalore 26 16th September 2017 22:38
Professional Car Detailing - Sparkle Detailing (Delhi) tsk13 Delhi NCR 11 22nd October 2016 08:34
Windshield Polishing & Detailing: Glass Polish India Ltd (Chembur, Mumbai) Epic Mumbai 3 23rd March 2016 10:25
Car Cleaning & Polishing: Thejas Autospa (Phoenix Mall, Chennai) razorBlades Chennai 3 24th August 2015 11:05
Cleaning, Polishing, Painting, etc - Carz Spa (Mangalore, KA) james Other Cities 6 20th December 2013 10:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:28.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks