Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2010, 19:57   #2461
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 84
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

ThinkBig,

Where at Mumbai is the service as mentioned by you located? What are the charges for getting the same done?
NVI2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 11:33   #2462
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 88
Thanked: 35 Times
Default

Fellow TBhpians,
I do not know how good the centres mentioned of Delhi are, but I think if they meet the high standards expected, we all are going to have a great time looking at the beauties on the roads of our cities.

I have been detailing since over a decade and I find the nano polishing compounds, along with the sealant giving an awesome finish. Like Megs, Turtle etc. there are many more companies out there which are real good as they have been years in the business. The new technologies are something which cater to our needs. Easy to clean cars, resistant to bird droppings and of course the diesel washes the dealerships use. I am really impressed with the swirl hiding property of the nano technology (I will post some photos of this later) and also the hardness of the coating. Unless some one intentionally puts scratches, they won't come. Not even with the common drivers/chowkidar's who clean most people's cars.

Here is one more photo to feel the difference. Amazing is what the customer felt!!!!

ThinkBig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 11:54   #2463
Senior - BHPian
 
sohail99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,251
Thanked: 148 Times
Default

btw the nano tech thing sounds real nice!!

any idea when it'll be available here, if at all?

and here in Delhi, only a handful of ppl are interested in actually seeing their cars shine everyday(incl.TBHPians)

most of the cars I've seen are totally dusty(I mean how can a person drive in a dusty car!?)

and detailing centers also don't do much business here as nearly 75-80% ppl are not interested in that and look upon it as waste of money! :(
sohail99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 20:33   #2464
Senior - BHPian
 
sohail99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,251
Thanked: 148 Times
Default

Today I tried Formula1's 'Shine it all' on my mom's car after getting it washed

I used it because it is the only product which they claim is a 'Sealant' and can be applied even on trims and plastics etc.

The thing I instantly liked about it, is that when you apply it on a paint panel, its transparent and after drying it gives a slight haze!(barely noticable)

and it definitely works perfectly for the plastics and rubber trim!(not recommended for tyre sidewalls though)

I even used it on the alloys(since sealants can withstand higher temps)

after taking it off, you could instantly see the shine! but the depth was kinda missing(usual thing with sealants)

next I'll try it on my i20 and see for any difference in shine/feel/reflections/waterbeading etc.
sohail99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 21:44   #2465
Senior - BHPian
 
tsk13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,233
Thanked: 272 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBig View Post

Here is one more photo to feel the difference. Amazing is what the customer felt!!!!

The pic isn't there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
btw the nano tech thing sounds real nice!!

any idea when it'll be available here, if at all?

and here in Delhi, only a handful of ppl are interested in actually seeing their cars shine everyday(incl.TBHPians)

most of the cars I've seen are totally dusty(I mean how can a person drive in a dusty car!?)

and detailing centers also don't do much business here as nearly 75-80% ppl are not interested in that and look upon it as waste of money! :(
My observation regarding cars is totally opposite to what you've seen, I mostly come across clean cars but yes on a rainy day when I'm coming back home even my car is dirty like others.

Delhi is a highly price-sensitive market where mostly quantity is preferred over quality in Retail Business segment and this is the reason why the detailing centers (I only know one in NCR) don't do brisk business. On the other side you do have local detailers who at max will use 3M but will charge you way less (compared to Carzspa) but you won't be that satisfied.

Well, I've a business idea for Pro Detailing Center if Sohail takes the pain to open one.
tsk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 22:26   #2466
Senior - BHPian
 
sohail99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,251
Thanked: 148 Times
Default

Yea! here ppl think that a wash while servicing is ok!(the truth is, they're inducing swirls in the finish!!)

(I remember when I took my i20 for servicing, they wanted to wash it so bad I had to talk to the manager to stop them! and he was quite surprised too!lol)

Seriously man! I wanna open one or be a part of a pro detail center but no one in my family will ever approve of it!! :(
sohail99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 22:53   #2467
Senior - BHPian
 
tsk13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,233
Thanked: 272 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Yea! here ppl think that a wash while servicing is ok!(the truth is, they're inducing swirls in the finish!!)

(I remember when I took my i20 for servicing, they wanted to wash it so bad I had to talk to the manager to stop them! and he was quite surprised too!lol)

Seriously man! I wanna open one or be a part of a pro detail center but no one in my family will ever approve of it!! :(
That's height of keeping a car dirty.

You can seriously excel in this line very well but you will need to work on the logistics aspect considering the good imported products aren't available easily and another problem is the price sensitive Delhi market.
tsk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 22:53   #2468
BHPian
 
akshay_b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 362
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Yea! here ppl think that a wash while servicing is ok!(the truth is, they're inducing swirls in the finish!!)

(I remember when I took my i20 for servicing, they wanted to wash it so bad I had to talk to the manager to stop them! and he was quite surprised too!lol)

Seriously man! I wanna open one or be a part of a pro detail center but no one in my family will ever approve of it!! :(
You're absolutly right, When the guy from A.S.S picks up my car for servicing, i send along a meguiars supreme shine MF cloth everytime, he once told me that they use high quality "soft cloth" to which i said i know how "soft" your cloth is! I discovered many swirls even after they used my MF cloth to wipe it, I've decided not to opt for the " A.S.S car wash" everytime my car goes to the service station.
Here's a thread regarding the same:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...good-they.html (Car wash at A.S.S- How good are they?)
akshay_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 12:55   #2469
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 88
Thanked: 35 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
You're absolutly right, When the guy from A.S.S picks up my car for servicing, i send along a meguiars supreme shine MF cloth everytime, he once told me that they use high quality "soft cloth" to which i said i know how "soft" your cloth is! I discovered many swirls even after they used my MF cloth to wipe it, I've decided not to opt for the " A.S.S car wash" everytime my car goes to the service station.
Here's a thread regarding the same:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...good-they.html (Car wash at A.S.S- How good are they?)
Hi Akshay,

The nano product we are testing has swirl reduction properties. Without polishing out the swirls, and just applying the product you can reduce the swirls by more than 50%. As the product is hard and inorganic it cannot be washed away. The more you apply the product, more the swirls reduce. But you have to wait 24-48 hrs between coats.

Swirls Before



Swirls After applying Nano product



Waxes will wash away and show the swirls much faster then these products as they are inorganic and fused to the paint.
ThinkBig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 21:33   #2470
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 88
Thanked: 35 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
I agree, cant see the pics
Quadra/Benzin,

I do not know what is wrong. I saw the photos at the time of the preview. Afterwards BHP approved the write-up they were still there. Now I too cannot see them. Puzzling. Even the earlier mirror finish has vanished. Hope someone can help me and let me know why this is happening. The previews are ok. This did not happen in the case of the Baleno pic.

I am attaching the photos again. Hope you can see them. I am attaching in a simple way and not with comments between the photos.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-nano-reflection-.jpg  

Attached Images
  

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd June 2010 at 12:20. Reason: To see how to *correctly* insert pics in-between the text, see post #2 in "How to upload photos" in the Announcement section.
ThinkBig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 22:46   #2471
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 663
Thanked: 136 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBig View Post
Hi Akshay,

The nano product we are testing has swirl reduction properties. Without polishing out the swirls, and just applying the product you can reduce the swirls by more than 50%. As the product is hard and inorganic it cannot be washed away. The more you apply the product, more the swirls reduce. But you have to wait 24-48 hrs between coats.

Swirls Before

Swirls After applying Nano product

Waxes will wash away and show the swirls much faster then these products as they are inorganic and fused to the paint.
Think big - Thanks for the pics ! Is the 1st one of the side panels of the Baleno or some other car ?

- Do you think it would be better to apply the nano product AFTER properly prepping the surface as in claying, removing the swirls, scratches, polish etc ?

- The nano would then bring out more depth of the gloss to the final result, it would also be protective to a certain extent ?

- Whats the life of this coating ?
nirmaljusdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 12:48   #2472
BHPian
 
benzinblut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Bombay
Posts: 410
Thanked: 182 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Think big - Thanks for the pics ! Is the 1st one of the side panels of the Baleno or some other car ?
Thats definitely not baleno. Looks like an Audi may be.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBig View Post
I am attaching the photos again. Hope you can see them. I am attaching in a simple way and not with comments between the photos.
Amazing work there. The side panel reflection is just too good.

Swirls are gradually beginning to develop on my car and I am not liking it. Your swirl reducer has not only reduced swirls but the metallic effect is enhanced. Amazing results. Whats the life of the finish?

Looking forward to your test completion and some light on the procedure and products used.

Good work. Keep it up!

I have today cancelled my Tata Nano booking. It would have been the 2nd extra car for me. Using my uncle's Ritz for office (family business) and magnum as pleasure drive. Dont really need another car now. But I'm waiting for the diesel version to be launched. That will be the 3rd car

Last edited by benzinblut : 18th June 2010 at 12:54.
benzinblut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 13:09   #2473
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,017
Thanked: 519 Times
Default

That side profile finish is unbelievable..! Let us know at least which car is this..!
poloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 14:23   #2474
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,058
Thanked: 1,954 Times
Default

the car has V8 written on its fender, so its not a baleno.

by the way, is that even in india? look at the car in the reflection. its not an indian car & look at the number plate.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 14:41   #2475
BHPian
 
benzinblut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Bombay
Posts: 410
Thanked: 182 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
the car has V8 written on its fender, so its not a baleno.

by the way, is that even in india? look at the car in the reflection. its not an indian car & look at the number plate.
Yes even I had that doubt of it not being in india. The car in the reflection looked like EU number plate and a model from SEAT. Could also be fortuner?
benzinblut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car Detailing and Cleaning - 3M Car Care (Koramangala, Bangalore) nareshtrao Bangalore 25 25th October 2016 15:12
Professional Car Detailing - Sparkle Detailing (Delhi) tsk13 Delhi NCR 11 22nd October 2016 08:34
Windshield Polishing & Detailing: Glass Polish India Ltd (Chembur, Mumbai) Epic Mumbai 3 23rd March 2016 10:25
Car Cleaning & Polishing: Thejas Autospa (Phoenix Mall, Chennai) razorBlades Chennai 3 24th August 2015 11:05
Cleaning, Polishing, Painting, etc - Carz Spa (Mangalore, KA) james Other Cities 6 20th December 2013 10:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:55.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks