Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2011, 02:34   #4831
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: new delhi
Posts: 41
Thanked: 5 Times
Default re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Guys i am using formula 1 wash and wax but the results are not that great can someone suggest a nice solution for my skoda superb.
Formula 1 High-Performance Auto Care Products

I have also purchased Mr.leather from formula one but not using as i feel it might spoil the the nappa leather,can someone tell me the best product to use on nappa leather. thanks
Formula 1 High-Performance Auto Care Products
ARSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 10:40   #4832
BHPian
 
sharma_sanjeevi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 566
Thanked: 62 Times
Default re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Friends, i have a 1997 M-800. The carpet which covers the roof from the inside has gone very dirty.

My question is, can i wash it with a mild detergent or should i Vaccum Clean it ? kindly suggest.
sharma_sanjeevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 11:39   #4833
BHPian
 
RemingtonSteele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 568
Thanked: 161 Times
Default re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARSC View Post
Guys i am using formula 1 wash and wax but the results are not that great can someone suggest a nice solution for my skoda superb.
Formula 1 High-Performance Auto Care Products

I have also purchased Mr.leather from formula one but not using as i feel it might spoil the the nappa leather,can someone tell me the best product to use on nappa leather. thanks
Formula 1 High-Performance Auto Care Products
@ARSC: Please go thru this exhaustive thread, the more you read the more you will learn from this thread. You will also realise that Formula1 products are one of the el-cheapo products with similar qualities and high rate of duplicacy. The Detailing Guru's here doen't even utter this brand of products here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharma_sanjeevi View Post
Friends, i have a 1997 M-800. The carpet which covers the roof from the inside has gone very dirty.

My question is, can i wash it with a mild detergent or should i Vaccum Clean it ? kindly suggest.
@sharma_sanjeevi: I would suggest first vaccum clean in thoroughly and then get hold of Sonax interior fabric cleaner foam to get amazing results.

Last edited by RemingtonSteele : 5th September 2011 at 11:42.
RemingtonSteele is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 12:28   #4834
Senior - BHPian
 
adimicra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,543
Thanked: 1,007 Times
Default re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

I too bought formula 1 wash and wax a few weeks back and the results are disappointing. It does not help to remove surface contaminants like tar, bird droppings etc. Actually, I don't see any extra benefit from a normal water wash.
The only benefit I guess is it leaves a slightly smooth finish on the car surface, most probably due to the carnuba wax content.

I am getting Amway car shampoo, heard very good things about it.

A quick question about tires - products like Eagle one or AmorAll do they give a black finish to the tires along with cleaning them? I am not looking for shine, just want the tires to look nice and black.
adimicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 12:46   #4835
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 487
Thanked: 110 Times
Default re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
A quick question about tires - products like Eagle one or AmorAll do they give a black finish to the tires along with cleaning them? I am not looking for shine, just want the tires to look nice and black.
I use Armor All's wheel cleaner on the alloys as well as the tire sidewalls. Rinse the tires thoroughly, spray the cleaner onto the alloys & sidewalls, leave for about 30secs, & then agitate with a brush & rinse off thoroughly. Apply Armor All's tire shine foam if needed, it leaves a nice matt black finish, not shiny at all.
mb_jg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 12:48   #4836
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 487
Thanked: 110 Times
Default re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Guys, Madhu Automobiles at Wanowrie have opened a Meguair's detailing shop at Undri, a bit ahead of Palace Orchard. They use only Meguairs products. I have asked Ashwin (owner) to give me a detailed sheet containing all the info & pricing to upload here.
It's very reasonable.
mb_jg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 12:50   #4837
Senior - BHPian
 
speedsatya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: bangalore/manga
Posts: 3,158
Thanked: 703 Times
Default re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

I have been using the 3M Perfect It wax paste .Its important to prepare the surface before you start polishing .I ensure that I clean the body with a good car wash cleaner .I use Turtle Wax .And once the body is wiped clean ,I start applying the wax paste in circular motions .

Never use cloth of utensil detergents .

For some reason,Turtle Wax Platinum series or Meguiars NXT 2.0 never gave the same gloss as the 3M .But have read reports of users observing the other way round.

Just ordered my new sets of car detailing products .Indian car accessory shops just rip off customers .I enquired at Hot Tracks ,Bangalore for the 3 M polish and they quoted 3 K !!! whereas you can get one in the US for around 17 USD( 750 INR).Add another 20 USD for shipping if you dont have anyone to get it here ( 1000 INR max).So thats a max of 1700 INR
speedsatya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 12:50   #4838
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 144
Thanked: 63 Times
Default re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
A quick question about tires - products like Eagle one or AmorAll do they give a black finish to the tires along with cleaning them? I am not looking for shine, just want the tires to look nice and black.
Hi. I've been using Armorall tire foam. It only needs to be sprayed onto the tyres. No brushing / rinsing required. Results are good with minimal / no shine.
bloodred is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 15:53   #4839
Senior - BHPian
 
adimicra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,543
Thanked: 1,007 Times
Default re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
I use Armor All's wheel cleaner on the alloys as well as the tire sidewalls. Rinse the tires thoroughly, spray the cleaner onto the alloys & sidewalls, leave for about 30secs, & then agitate with a brush & rinse off thoroughly. Apply Armor All's tire shine foam if needed, it leaves a nice matt black finish, not shiny at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodred View Post
Hi. I've been using Armorall tire foam. It only needs to be sprayed onto the tyres. No brushing / rinsing required. Results are good with minimal / no shine.
So, it seems we need 2 products to get the desired result - one for cleaning and one for the black look.
For cleaning, can't we use the car shampoo and rub with a brush/rug to save some $ ?
I will go to Reliance Autozone soon to check out these products as well as the Eagle one tire and wheel cleaner.
Btw, anyone knows the prices of these products?
adimicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 16:51   #4840
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 144
Thanked: 63 Times
Default re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
So, it seems we need 2 products to get the desired result - one for cleaning and one for the black look.
Btw, anyone knows the prices of these products?
Hi. Tire foam cleans as well as blackens. IIRC it costed around 475 bucks or thereabouts at reliance autozone gurgaon.
bloodred is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 18:54   #4841
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 487
Thanked: 110 Times
Default re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodred View Post
Hi. Tire foam cleans as well as blackens. IIRC it costed around 475 bucks or thereabouts at reliance autozone gurgaon.
Agree, but the foam works best when applied to a prepared surface. One application will last 2-3 weeks.
mb_jg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 20:02   #4842
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 72
Thanked: 14 Times
Default re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

I got some mothers products- the wax/sealant and tire + wheel cleaner. They are good, NXT tech wax from Megs is best i guess but i did not get it so bought the mothers stuff. I think they are worth the money
hemantbsutar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 20:14   #4843
BHPian
 
doxinboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 44
Thanked: 58 Times
Default re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemantbsutar View Post
I got some mothers products- the wax/sealant and tire + wheel cleaner. They are good, NXT tech wax from Megs is best i guess but i did not get it so bought the mothers stuff. I think they are worth the money
Good day mate!

Can you please let me know where you bought the stuff from? I am in the Market for similar product. Thought of ordering online, but picking from the store is preferable.
doxinboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 14:14   #4844
Senior - BHPian
 
k_ajay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,146
Thanked: 433 Times
Post re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
Agree, but the foam works best when applied to a prepared surface. One application will last 2-3 weeks.
No offense mate, but that is a tall claim. I've used Armor All tyre foam and it is a nothing short of miracle if it lasts a week. There is too much dust and dirt to expect the tyres dressing to last 2-3 weeks. Quite tough with 1 foam action application. Surely, not in bangalore.

aK
k_ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 14:17   #4845
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 487
Thanked: 110 Times
Default re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
No offense mate, but that is a tall claim. I've used Armor All tyre foam and it is a nothing short of miracle if it lasts a week. There is too much dust and dirt to expect the tyres dressing to last 2-3 weeks. Quite tough with 1 foam action application. Surely, not in bangalore.

aK
Arey baba, that's what am trying to tell you! The foam will last longer (the way it's meant to be) if the surface is prepped before application.
It's just like prepping the paint surface by washing it before polishing & waxing it!! One application does last for 2-3 weeks, in the rains too! The surface repels water effectively, as for the muck I just rinse it off with some water & it comes off easily.

Last edited by mb_jg : 6th September 2011 at 14:19.
mb_jg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windshield Polishing & Detailing: Glass Polish India Ltd (Chembur, Mumbai) Epic Mumbai 3 23rd March 2016 10:25
Mixed experience: Car detailing & cleaning from Carzippi.com rajeshsundaram Modifications & Accessories 0 1st February 2016 23:07
Car Detailing & Interior Cleaning - Auto Shine (Kandivali West, Mumbai) renney.varghese Mumbai 62 19th November 2015 17:18
Car Cleaning & Polishing: Thejas Autospa (Phoenix Mall, Chennai) razorBlades Chennai 3 24th August 2015 11:05
Cleaning, Polishing, Painting, etc - Carz Spa (Mangalore, KA) james Other Cities 6 20th December 2013 10:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:06.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks