Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2011, 17:50   #5056
Senior - BHPian
 
ajay_satpute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,785
Thanked: 1,321 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
i love the way the 3M guys work. Mezair is very well known to me. i was amongst his first customers. they had done a spectacular job on my linea which was full of swirl marks.

what all are you getting in 7200rs?

i was comparing the powershine and normal packages of 3m and car lounge.

for example the treatment of rs.550 at car lounge costs rs.895 at 3m
I am getting Interior Premium+ + Exterior Premium+ + Underbody anti-rust coating
ajay_satpute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 10:00   #5057
Senior - BHPian
 
sohail99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
I had parked my Vista under a tree for about 30 mins at one place and there was some really hard thick glue-kind of thing on the bonnet. This thick liquid had trickled down till the fog lamps from the bonnet. I have tried Formula1 scratch remover, but this one's not ready to go. What to do?
Thats tree sap! Contrary to popular belief, parking under the sun is safer than parking under a tree!

You need to soak the area with a tar remover etc. Try using tissue papers and hold them on the problem areas while you spray tar remover on them! The tissue will temporarily adhere to the paint and tree sap due to wetness and will also hold the product on the tree sap instead of running off!

After a few minutes dwell time, try agitating it gently with a mf towel and use a QD to prevent marring!
sohail99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 10:34   #5058
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 8
Thanked: Once
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Hi all,

I have been going through this thread before my membership was approved, and really thankfull to all the members who have contributed to this thread. Its just a big bundle of information

A month back i have bought a VW polo (Red Colour) and have been driving in the busy Dadar area in Mumbai. Have to say it , drivers in mumbai have very little patience and they are really rude to new drivers like me who drive slow. Two times my car has been scratched coz i was slow in taking out my car after the signal turned green (A bike and a Taxiwala).

Moreover, i park my car under a tree where a lot of white birds (cranes) live. I have no other option coz thats the only place where there is some space left in our society for parking. The person who cleans my car has also scratched the bonnet trying to remove the bird droppings.

Added to all this, these birds eat insects, and hence their excreta contains insect remains which attract a lot of ants. I sprayed Hit on the tires and the mats and after i came back from diwali i saw a lot of ants dead under the carpet, on my seat.

I am planning to buy a car cover, which i think is a must now. I would like to know is there any protective layer which can prevent scratching. My brother who owns a i10 has suggested to go for teflon coating, but i was not sure about it as it has not been recommended on T-BHP.

I love my car, but its shine is slowly fading away. Please help
ankitvarshneya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 10:55   #5059
Senior - BHPian
 
ajay_satpute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,785
Thanked: 1,321 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Thats tree sap! Contrary to popular belief, parking under the sun is safer than parking under a tree!

You need to soak the area with a tar remover etc. Try using tissue papers and hold them on the problem areas while you spray tar remover on them! The tissue will temporarily adhere to the paint and tree sap due to wetness and will also hold the product on the tree sap instead of running off!

After a few minutes dwell time, try agitating it gently with a mf towel and use a QD to prevent marring!
Thanks Sohail. Will try this procedure and will update.
ajay_satpute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 13:39   #5060
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,781
Thanked: 378 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

I have narrowed down on the following products based on various reviews and recommendations (and also based on availability in India). I have also included the cost and the source from where you could get these products here in India.


Please see attachment and share your views. Indeed car care is expensive.

Book1.xlsx
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 15:21   #5061
Senior - BHPian
 
sohail99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitvarshneya View Post
Hi all,

I have been going through this thread before my membership was approved, and really thankfull to all the members who have contributed to this thread. Its just a big bundle of information

A month back i have bought a VW polo (Red Colour) and have been driving in the busy Dadar area in Mumbai. Have to say it , drivers in mumbai have very little patience and they are really rude to new drivers like me who drive slow. Two times my car has been scratched coz i was slow in taking out my car after the signal turned green (A bike and a Taxiwala).

Moreover, i park my car under a tree where a lot of white birds (cranes) live. I have no other option coz thats the only place where there is some space left in our society for parking. The person who cleans my car has also scratched the bonnet trying to remove the bird droppings.

Added to all this, these birds eat insects, and hence their excreta contains insect remains which attract a lot of ants. I sprayed Hit on the tires and the mats and after i came back from diwali i saw a lot of ants dead under the carpet, on my seat.

I am planning to buy a car cover, which i think is a must now. I would like to know is there any protective layer which can prevent scratching. My brother who owns a i10 has suggested to go for teflon coating, but i was not sure about it as it has not been recommended on T-BHP.

I love my car, but its shine is slowly fading away. Please help
Whoa! That looks like loads of problems! Your Polo needs proper paint correction and regular maintenance on your part!

Also, bird poo can be removed without causing scratches, but there's a technique to it! Most car wash guys are ready to grab a scraper and go to town! But in order to remove it, you have to soften it!

-Keep 2 tissue papers on the poo spot
-spray your choice of cleaner or APC on the tissue so that its soaked completely(even colin will do) and let it dwell for upto 15 mins!(dwell time depends on whether the poo is sunbaked or not)

- Slightly try to feel the poo through the tissue paper whether its softened or not.

- If its softened, then bunch up the tissues to lift the poo with the tissue papers and most of it should come off!

Never try to lift or move it around when its dry! If it dries out spray some quick detailer to keep it moist/wet! Follow up with spot wash and a coat of wax!

After a detail you can try Collinite 845 insulator wax to protect your paint, it'll protect from bird poo etching(only if you remove bird poo immediately after it lands on the paint).

There isnt anything that'll prevent scratches from other bikes and cars! Even Mercedes cerami clear cant protect against them! Ceramiclear was made to hold up to stuff like improper washing techniques, micromarring etc.

Scratches can be prevented to some extent by a car cover! (Get a Dupont Tyvek material cover, also made by Polco)

And while driving, properly predicting everyone's movement around you and taking timely action and always be aware of everyone around you, keep updating their position by looking at both ORVMs and IRVMs and occasional head turns to view stuff in the blind spots etc.

Unfortunately waxes cant protect against a biker's handle bar :(

Last edited by sohail99 : 1st November 2011 at 15:24.
sohail99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 15:28   #5062
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 8
Thanked: Once
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

thanks sohail. I will clean up the car myself this weekend and wax it. Will put up the cover after that. Any recommended product for removing scratches. I think the bird "poo" scratches can be removed without any paint job
ankitvarshneya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 18:16   #5063
Senior - BHPian
 
sohail99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Any rubbing compound or polish will even out the scratches!

Scratchout paste is ok if better ones aren't available! Check out 3M's detail center, they might have some Meguiars polishes or compounds!
sohail99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 20:36   #5064
Senior - BHPian
 
el lobo 6061's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 1,481
Thanked: 963 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I have narrowed down on the following products based on various reviews and recommendations (and also based on availability in India). I have also included the cost and the source from where you could get these products here in India.


Please see attachment and share your views. Indeed car care is expensive.

Attachment 835441
Sun, does Automall has stock of Opti-Seal, as I tried 2 weeks earlier they said they dont have. And even their ebay seller and carpolish.com doesnt list opti seal.
Do let me know it opti-seal is available.
el lobo 6061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 22:51   #5065
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 8
Thanked: Once
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

from where can i buy Dupont Tyvek or Polco car covers in Mumbai. I checked Polco's website it mentions the price of the cover as Rs.3125
ankitvarshneya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 09:46   #5066
BHPian
 
archat68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 678
Thanked: 185 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Any idea about this pressure washer? Anyone used it? Quite cheap for 3K!!
RKM Cleaning Products: Buy RKM Car High Pressure Washer with Free Tool Kit Flashlight at Lowest Price Rs. 2,999 in India | FutureBazaar.com
archat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 10:19   #5067
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,781
Thanked: 378 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Sun, does Automall has stock of Opti-Seal, as I tried 2 weeks earlier they said they dont have. And even their ebay seller and carpolish.com doesnt list opti seal.
Do let me know it opti-seal is available.
It is currently out of stock. I am looking for alternatives.

Can anyone suggest an equivalent sealant?
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 10:21   #5068
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,397
Thanked: 841 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
-spray your choice of cleaner or APC on the tissue so that its soaked completely(even colin will do)
I've used Mothers windshield cleaner to clean out bird dropping spots on my car. They come out very easily, hope the windshield cleaner isn't abrasive and damage my paint in the process.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 14:00   #5069
Senior - BHPian
 
sohail99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 160 Times
Default

Windshield cleaners are completely safe and non abrasive unless specifically mentioned!

they are strong cleaners, so they'll remove or damage any wax coats already on the paint, so follow up the area with your choice of wax!
sohail99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 14:17   #5070
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,397
Thanked: 841 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

If we put the car wash solution mixed with water in such spray bottles (like Mothers Windshield cleaner) even that would work towards helping remove the bird droppings. I think this could be one cheap solution for those on budget.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car Detailing and Cleaning - 3M Car Care (Koramangala, Bangalore) nareshtrao Bangalore 26 16th September 2017 22:38
Professional Car Detailing - Sparkle Detailing (Delhi) tsk13 Delhi NCR 11 22nd October 2016 08:34
Windshield Polishing & Detailing: Glass Polish India Ltd (Chembur, Mumbai) Epic Mumbai 3 23rd March 2016 10:25
Car Cleaning & Polishing: Thejas Autospa (Phoenix Mall, Chennai) razorBlades Chennai 3 24th August 2015 11:05
Cleaning, Polishing, Painting, etc - Carz Spa (Mangalore, KA) james Other Cities 6 20th December 2013 10:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:06.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks