Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2012, 13:06   #5596
Senior - BHPian
 
SunnyBoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mysore / B'lore
Posts: 1,583
Thanked: 2,767 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Managed to work on the hood again, using the new stuff I purchased recently.

Used Mothers Clay + Meguiars SwirlX + Mothers Carnauba Wax.


A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20120323_114027-copy.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20120323_114055-copy.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20120323_114219-copy.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_20120323_114250.jpg

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 23rd March 2012 at 13:10.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2012, 13:42   #5597
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 298
Thanked: 106 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Managed to work on the hood again, using the new stuff I purchased recently.

Used Mothers Clay + Meguiars SwirlX + Mothers Carnauba Wax.
Thats WOW!!

You did that with hand? Or used a machine? What did you do to get that shine on the windshield?
m8002? is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2012, 17:06   #5598
BHPian
 
KkVaidya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 634
Thanked: 253 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Managed to work on the hood again, using the new stuff I purchased recently.

Used Mothers Clay + Meguiars SwirlX + Mothers Carnauba Wax.
Nice work SunnyBoi. But why does the yellow colour look faded, as if it stays out too much in the sun!
Maybe because the colour sensor of the camera is not able to catch correct depth of Yellow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Absolutely correctly done. Glass is never to be clayed or waxed. I use Armour-All Glass Cleaner, does a fab job with newspaper.
You use "Newspaper" on glass. Damn sure to get star bursts aka swirls marks in 3 years.
KkVaidya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2012, 17:29   #5599
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bengal...ooroo
Posts: 589
Thanked: 140 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

There is going to be a delay in getting my Megs ScratchX and the Klasse kit from US, as the person would travel after 2 weeks.

In the meantime i already have the Mothers Clay and would get the Collinite tomorrow (hopefully).

I am thinking of doing the Clay and use Collinite this week. And to start off with ScratchX when rest of the kit eventually reach. Question is, would it be very difficult to remove collinite at the time?

Also anyone has experience with Jopasu MF towels. Do they hold water and offer a streak free finish. I ordered a 3 set MF for INR499 using Ebay.in
hyper-VTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2012, 17:43   #5600
Senior - BHPian
 
SunnyBoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mysore / B'lore
Posts: 1,583
Thanked: 2,767 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Thats WOW!!

You did that with hand? Or used a machine? What did you do to get that shine on the windshield?
Yup, all by hand. Took me 3-4 weekends with 3 hours every day of the weekend to reach this state. I'm buying a machine now. I havent worked on any panel except the hood this past 2 months!

I had used Colin to clean the windshield coupla days back. Maybe thats what causing the shine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Nice work SunnyBoi. But why does the yellow colour look faded, as if it stays out too much in the sun!
Maybe because the colour sensor of the camera is not able to catch correct depth of Yellow!
Thats just my phone camera. Didn't have my DSLR with me now.

Oh, here's a closeup:

Name:  IMG_20120323_114206  Copy.jpg
Views: 1201
Size:  94.8 KB

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 23rd March 2012 at 17:45.
SunnyBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2012, 18:34   #5601
Senior - BHPian
 
el lobo 6061's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 1,497
Thanked: 978 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
You use "Newspaper" on glass. Damn sure to get star bursts aka swirls marks in 3 years.
What do you suggest I use to substitute the newspaper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Yup, all by hand. Took me 3-4 weekends with 3 hours every day of the weekend to reach this state. I'm buying a machine now. I havent worked on any panel except the hood this past 2 months!
SunnyBoi how do you go about washing the car after that you have waxed it? Shampooing removes a certain layer of wax while doing it, so how do you go about it?
el lobo 6061 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2012, 19:16   #5602
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bengal...ooroo
Posts: 589
Thanked: 140 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Yup, all by hand. Took me 3-4 weekends with 3 hours every day of the weekend to reach this state. I'm buying a machine now. I havent worked on any panel except the hood this past 2 months!
Attachment 906376
Your hardwork definitely shows. It is a great feeling seeing the babies shine and that feeling far outweigh the labor put in.

Last edited by hyper-VTEC : 23rd March 2012 at 19:19. Reason: Fixed typos
hyper-VTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2012, 19:30   #5603
BHPian
 
nileshch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: BLR / BOM
Posts: 743
Thanked: 370 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061
What do you suggest I use to substitute the newspaper?
Rohaan, I use a regular MF cloth for the glass too. It does not leave any water on the glass. In all, I have 3 MF cloths - a large one for the body, a smaller one for the glass, and a third small one for the interior.
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2012, 00:58   #5604
BHPian
 
darthvader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 160
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Maintenance Techniques:
1. Once waxed car will get a layer of dust(depending on where you stay), either you did use Jopasu Car Duster to get of it and drive off.
2. Use Jopasu Duster and then quick detail your car. Would hardly take 15-20 mins at most.
3. If car is stationary for many days say 5 days, it would definitely have a thick layer of dust, than just splash some water onto it and shampoo it with any car shampoo and quick detail it.
Quick detail with what?

I finally received ScratchX 2.0. Spent a lot of time figuring out how to use it, and then finally tried to remove three very minor scratches (two of which cannot be felt at all) by applying it with a foam applicator pad...with no success. I am wondering whether this compound works at all, and whether I applied it wrongly. I also tried another application...didn't work.

(PS -- Which of the foam applicator's two sides has to be used, just to be sure?)

Also, the 'hard water spots' did not go with ScratchX 2.0. In each case, I did apply the compound vigorously.

I also contacted Meguiar's India but they are unable to provide Ultimate Compound, SwirlX and Quick Detailer. So, I have two options:

1. Buy Meguiar's stuff from EBay India (very costly).
2. Consider using Mothers' stuff (I can get it through AutoMall/Carpolish.in).

So, what is your take on Mothers versus Meguiar's?
darthvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2012, 09:45   #5605
Senior - BHPian
 
SunnyBoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mysore / B'lore
Posts: 1,583
Thanked: 2,767 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
SunnyBoi how do you go about washing the car after that you have waxed it? Shampooing removes a certain layer of wax while doing it, so how do you go about it?
Honestly I have no idea; This is the first and only car I've worked on so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
Your hardwork definitely shows. It is a great feeling seeing the babies shine and that feeling far outweigh the labor put in.
Thanks! So I managed to put another layer of wax on the car this morning. Looks much better!

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1010216.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1010218.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1010220.jpg

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1010222.jpg
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2012, 10:17   #5606
BHPian
 
KkVaidya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 634
Thanked: 253 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
What do you suggest I use to substitute the newspaper?
It is a popular myth to clean glass with a newspaper. Please understand that a newspaper cannot take in the fine dirt grit off the glass. so after repeated usage, you will observe star bursts at night when there is oncoming light. Newsreels are generally re-cycled paper of around 50-60gsm and don't have much pores especially the printed part. Best thing is to use a microfiber. I use Colin with Microfiber for a streak & scratch free finish. But if it has too much of dust blanket, best is a splash of water followed by Colin and finished by a Microfiber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader View Post

So, what is your take on Mothers versus Meguiar's?
Both are reputed brands. I still doubt whether the marks will go with a rubbing compound! Get a re-spray from the dealer on FoC before they change their mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post


Thanks! So I managed to put another layer of wax on the car this morning. Looks much better!
You used your Camera phone! So that is why no depth in Yellow!
In my opinion, Red and Yellow hues are the most difficult for the camera to depict as per the human eye. Can you post a comparison with a non-detailed area so we all can have a better idea?
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2012, 12:51   #5607
BHPian
 
darthvader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 160
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Both are reputed brands. I still doubt whether the marks will go with a rubbing compound! Get a re-spray from the dealer on FoC before they change their mind.
Yes, I am going to deposit the car today

PS -- Does ScratchX 2.0 work at all?
darthvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2012, 15:26   #5608
Senior - BHPian
 
el lobo 6061's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 1,497
Thanked: 978 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader View Post
Quick detail with what?
Either the Mothers Showtime detailer which you received with the clay bar kit or the best I would suggest ONR(Optimum No Rinse). Get a 8 Oz concentrate bottle and make the quick detailer in the ratio1:16(ONR:Water) and use it for clay bar lubricant in ratio 1:64(ONR:Water) from Carpolish.in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader View Post
I finally received ScratchX 2.0. Spent a lot of time figuring out how to use it, and then finally tried to remove three very minor scratches (two of which cannot be felt at all) by applying it with a foam applicator pad...with no success. I am wondering whether this compound works at all, and whether I applied it wrongly. I also tried another application...didn't work.
Good to know that you finally received ScratchX but the scratch & hard water marks didn't come out. That's some bad news. Either you did try more vigorously and still if it doesn't goes no other option but to repaint. I use SwirlsX works like a charm, I was hoping ScratchX to do even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader View Post
(PS -- Which of the foam applicator's two sides has to be used, just to be sure?)
You can use either of the side, nothing specific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader View Post
I also contacted Meguiar's India but they are unable to provide Ultimate Compound, SwirlX and Quick Detailer. So, I have two options:

1. Buy Meguiar's stuff from EBay India (very costly).
2. Consider using Mothers' stuff (I can get it through AutoMall/Carpolish.in).
You already have best of the products, no more need to buy more products. You could just buy ONR for quick detailer and a Jopasu Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader View Post
So, what is your take on Mothers versus Meguiar's?
Megs I would say, since it is available at 3M Car Care store at Andheri, Mumbai. So no worries of getting it shipped from either Delhi or Banglore. In your case as there are no 3M franchise in Kanpur, you only have one option of getting it from BBImpex or Automall/Carpolish.in.
Megs will be very expensive through import from USA, so I did suggest if you wish to get any further product do get it from Sanjay or Sham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Honestly I have no idea; This is the first and only car I've worked on so far.
But now that you have detailed your car, how are you going about maintaining that finish for weeks to come. And which product did you use on the plastic trim around the front windscreen & on the wipers to get that nice looking matte/gloss finish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Best thing is to use a microfiber. I use Colin with Microfiber for a streak & scratch free finish. But if it has too much of dust blanket, best is a splash of water followed by Colin and finished by a Microfiber.
Will follow the advise and use MF for cleaning glass with ArmourAll Glass Cleaner. Thanks for the head's up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader View Post
Yes, I am going to deposit the car today

PS -- Does ScratchX 2.0 work at all?
I would again repeat what I said above, ScratchX would definitely work. Either the hard water mark has corroded through clear coat because of which ScratchX is not working. But I'm using SwirlX which is a lighter rubbing compound and does a good job of removing scratches.
Now that you have opted to have the surface repainted, if however possible do post the before and after pics.
el lobo 6061 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2012, 15:56   #5609
BHPian
 
darthvader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 160
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
I would again repeat what I said above, ScratchX would definitely work. Either the hard water mark has corroded through clear coat because of which ScratchX is not working. But I'm using SwirlX which is a lighter rubbing compound and does a good job of removing scratches.
Now that you have opted to have the surface repainted, if however possible do post the before and after pics.
I will order SwirlX and Ultimate Compound sometime later as these problems are likely to recur. ScratchX did not work on a scratch either, by the way.

I have uploaded all the pictures on my Cruze thread.
darthvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2012, 19:07   #5610
Senior - BHPian
 
sohail99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 161 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader

I will order SwirlX and Ultimate Compound sometime later as these problems are likely to recur. ScratchX did not work on a scratch either, by the way.

I have uploaded all the pictures on my Cruze thread.
Try applying and working in the scratchx with a portion of microfiber towel and work it till it becomes nearly clear!

Wipe off and inspect. I think it uses diminishing abrasives and you need to work it longer(till it becomes clear) in order for the abrasives to break down to their finest!

If you need something even more abrasive, try the 3M perfect-it compound available over the counter on petrol pumps in&out stores! That stuff is the most abrasive! But be careful with it and reduce the work time, and 3M one needs to be followed with a polish!

SwirlX is less abrasive than scratchX. UC is a good compound and if worked in properly, it will finish perfectly and is great as a one step!

Btw you using scratchX 1 or 2?

Last edited by sohail99 : 24th March 2012 at 19:12.
sohail99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car Detailing and Cleaning - 3M Car Care (Koramangala, Bangalore) nareshtrao Bangalore 26 16th September 2017 22:38
Professional Car Detailing - Sparkle Detailing (Delhi) tsk13 Delhi NCR 11 22nd October 2016 08:34
Windshield Polishing & Detailing: Glass Polish India Ltd (Chembur, Mumbai) Epic Mumbai 3 23rd March 2016 10:25
Car Cleaning & Polishing: Thejas Autospa (Phoenix Mall, Chennai) razorBlades Chennai 3 24th August 2015 11:05
Cleaning, Polishing, Painting, etc - Carz Spa (Mangalore, KA) james Other Cities 6 20th December 2013 10:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:31.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks