Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 4th December 2012, 13:33   #6616
BHPian

Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

SO how long is this paint sealant is going to stay if I wash my car once a month with ONR and top it with Colinite 845?
Honda Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2012, 13:34   #6617
BHPian

Where are any of the good quality sealants available in Mumbai? I see a listing on autofresh's website, but most of the stuff is out of stock. i.e klasse/meguiar.

Any place in Mumbai where i can lay my hands on a good quality sealant. Have a couple of vehicles I could use it on
maverhick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2012, 14:45   #6618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Monk
SO how long is this paint sealant is going to stay if I wash my car once a month with ONR and top it with Colinite 845?
If its blackfire you're talking about, I can say from personal experience easily over three months even with rains. My car was last detailed in August and the water beading till day is pretty good.
shashank.nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2012, 16:49   #6619
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra

Don't worry about the dust. The next morning simply wipe the dust off with Jopasu and proceed with the wax coat. If the dust layer is heavy or grimy spray ONR and wipe clean and then wax.

Mind you sealant themselves lend a glossier and wet look so you actually needn't even wax the next day if you are happy with it.
Give me some leads on the clay - which brands are good, where to buy online?
I am getting a feeling that the DG 105 may last longer than the Collinite and may offer better protection too.

About the Meg's Tech 2.0 - How does it compare with DG 105? I know this was the last thing that 3M used during the paint protection and I just thought it is a wax. I may have been wrong in assuming that.
Pedaltothefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2012, 17:05   #6620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Monk
My estimate for your routine would be 4-5 months.

I'm guessing the reason why mine disappeared early is the tech wax 2.0 and it's mild cleaning properties. Even after a claying routine, you can notice some particulate matter that gets back on the cake every time you dab the provided applicator on it. Blackfire on the other hand, does not require maintenance and lasts for 4-5 months. Durability is function of the application procedure, weather during application and the climatic stress that the surface withstands; and it's better to use your judgement to decide the re-application. Blackfire sealants creates a slick finish which I use as an indicator. When the surface is not slick, it's time for a recoat. I just gave my nine month old car a second coat of blackfire recently, and the first coat lasted 4 months. I would've washed it for about 10 times, waxed it with collinite wax (cake type. 915?) once. On a daily basis, I use the jopasu duster and ONR to remove tree sap and other elements. I directly spray ONR at the affected areas and remove the elements. I have an open car park and there's tree sap, bird droppings, dust from construction etc. that my car is exposed to.

One observation- please shake the all finish paint protection bottle well every time you take the contents out of the bottle. If you don't, you will clearly notice crystal like particles in the liquid. When it's shaken properly, it's like an emulsion.
carrerastrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2012, 17:19   #6621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
If its blackfire you're talking about, I can say from personal experience easily over three months even with rains. My car was last detailed in August and the water beading till day is pretty good.
In Delhi it's more of dust and its a serious problem. You leave your car in shed/open or anywhere and after a couple of hours only there will be layers of dust. Moreover in my locality constructions are going on, so it's horrifying these days. Repeated cleaning of dust of the surface with a dry cloth is bound to leave its effect.
I hope it should help protecting the paint for at least 4-5 months.

Where to order blackfire?
Old 4th December 2012, 17:28   #6622
Senior - BHPian

I bought a griots DA polisher from US. It works on 110volts and 850watts. Can anyone please tell me what kind of transformer i need to get. Theres a sinuosidal wave and non sinuosidal wave type. Whats that?
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2012, 17:59   #6623
BHPian

Can anyone provide review on FinishKare 2180 ultra polymer sealant?
I wanted to have a comparison with Duragloss.
Also what about Meguiar's NXT Tech Was2.0? is it also a paint sealant? compared to duragloss? it also claims to remove swirl marks.

There are also spray bottles available of the same products? Are they equally effective?

Last edited by Honda Monk : 4th December 2012 at 18:05.
Old 4th December 2012, 18:32   #6624
BHPian

^^ Tech Wax contains fillers , it will hide swirls but they will come back once it wears off !!! in delhi it lasts little more then one month with proper care !!!
NOTORIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2012, 18:53   #6625
BHPian

Hi!

What is an ideal frequency for getting your interior and exterior detailing done?

Considering car is driven in a city like Mumbai.

Thanks!
engrohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2012, 18:58   #6626
Distinguished - BHPian

Please, people, use plenty of water to get that dust off when cleaning. For just driving, use the lightest of touches with a Jopasu Duster.

Nothing that comes out a bottle is a substitute for that, and any kind of cloth can do damage. I know this is an unpopular message, but it is true.

The stuff in the bottle may have some wax content that hides the damage you are doing, but if you are rubbing dust with a cloth, you are doing damage. It'll show in months or years to come.

Save the quick detailer for already-dust-free paint, and emergencies like bird crap.

Using more water may not be eco-friendly, but neither are cars!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2012, 20:26   #6627
BANNED

Note from Mod : Using Team-BHP to promote vested and commercial interests is STRICTLY prohibited. Do refrain from marketing your goods / services on the board, whether directly or indirectly.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further, and to prevent your account from being permanently disabled.

Last edited by GTO : 5th December 2012 at 12:28.
ThinkBig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2012, 21:04   #6628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Monk View Post
From my past experience without a paint sealant and only collinite, my car maintained the slickness and water beading for a good 2 months. This was when I had my domestic help use ONR for cleaning the car once every 2-3 days. With a sealant I'm sure it'll atleast last 3 months with regular ONR washes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverhick View Post
Any place in Mumbai where i can lay my hands on a good quality sealant. Have a couple of vehicles I could use it on
AFAIK, most the good sealants are not available in store anywhere. If you are looking for Klasse or Wolfgang or Black Fire you'd have to order it from Autogeek US. Shipping is expensive so you'd have to have someone carrying it for you from there. Sanjay from Bringbest has stock of Duragloss, which I've used. Write him a mail. If you are looking for Meg Tech NXT 2.0, 3M car care has them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Give me some leads on the clay - which brands are good, where to buy online?

Of the various claying bars available I'd recommend getting either Mother's or Meguiars clay bar. Between the two Megs is better. Not sure where you get it online. I've ordered mine from bringingbest

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
What is an ideal frequency for getting your interior and exterior detailing done? Considering car is driven in a city like Mumbai.
This would depend on the condition of your car as well as how it has been maintained. When you ask for getting it done are you referring to external vendors like 3m etc or you are a DIY person.
arup.misra is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2012, 22:48   #6629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra

This would depend on the condition of your car as well as how it has been maintained. When you ask for getting it done are you referring to external vendors like 3m etc or you are a DIY person.
Well car would always be driven with windows rolled up and I do not plan to get any external treatment done (wax coating, paint protection etc.). also I would be getting it done through a vendor. No DIY genes in me.
engrohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2012, 11:28   #6630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
Well car would always be driven with windows rolled up and I do not plan to get any external treatment done (wax coating, paint protection etc.). also I would be getting it done through a vendor. No DIY genes in me.
If the car is always driven with windows rolled up, once in 6-8 month interior cleaning should be good enough. Monsoon's would required an extra cleaning.
arup.misra is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote