Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2013, 22:25   #7891
BHPian
 
NOTORIOUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 783
Thanked: 87 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfvinay View Post
473ml bottle of Megs No 26 is available here. Can this be used on top of Ultimate Polish? Or any other liquid wax that goes with Ultimate Polish?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Autofresh has a 473 ml bottle for ~ 700 including shipping.
http://www.autofresh.in/exterior-car-care/meguiars-hi-tech-yellow-liquid-wax-473ml/p-11420-83069923325-cat.html


Is this worth it ? This is going to be my first polishing & waxing experience and will be doing this by hand, so will need something that is easy to use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
I've personally used C845 on top of Meg's UP. No problem with bonding. Works perfectly. May be because C845 is a liquid wax (hybrid) and is quite solvent heavy which dissolves anything underneath it! You can try C845 on some tar spots and see the result - it dissolves them with ease.
Oh , I was not aware of that. You Can Use It No Problem
NOTORIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 22:31   #7892
BHPian
 
NOS Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 388
Thanked: 55 Times
Default

M26 sells for a lot cheaper than the 700 sticker you guys have got. Less than 600. And thats Meguiars Indian MRP.
NOS Power is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 22:58   #7893
BHPian
 
Biraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NCR
Posts: 546
Thanked: 969 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS Power View Post
M26 sells for a lot cheaper than the 700 sticker you guys have got. Less than 600. And thats Meguiars Indian MRP.
+1. I purchased one on Saturday from Khan Market (Delhi). MRP was ~590 and the dealer gave me a discount (without asking) of Rs. 80. At Rs. 510 per bottle, the frequency with which I wax my cars is going to increase.

I waxed my car on Sunday and loved the results. Cleaned the car today with ONR Wash&Wax as QD. Quite happy with the results. I have decided to wash the car with W&W twice a week and wax the car with M26 every 15-20 days. NCR is extremely dusty and the car catches dust within 10 mins of cleaning thus, I have planned this schedule. Am I overdoing it? Or is there scope for inceeasing the frequency of ONR and M26?
Biraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 11:09   #7894
Senior - BHPian
 
sohail99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,258
Thanked: 163 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Thanks for that info mate! Much appreciated!

Well, my car is nearly 9 years old, and has a fair amount of swirl marks all over. I had got it detailed back in March, and all the swirl marks had disappeared. Thanks to Car Cares . A month ago, had another round of wax put on it as the car had been through heavy rains and slush for many weeks. While the shine is still there, the swirl marks are becoming quite prominent. Especially when viewed under fluorescent lights.

Anyways, I was wondering if I could apply some Glaze myself. Do I need a DA/polisher? And, is this product the right thing? I've already got the Ultimate Polish & Quick Detailer from Meguiars at home.

Thanks again for helping out fellas! Cheers!
Yes, you can apply the glaze yourself with a foam applicator or a microfiber by hand.

But when working by hand, you'll have to wipe off the first panel after applying to it to 3 panels and so on.

Ultimate polish has mild abrasives as well as fillers(glaze), you can use that too, but since it has abrasives, I'd recommend that you work the product on the panel for sometime before moving onto the next panel as abrasives need to be worked in order for them to refine the surface. After working it in, leave for a few minutes before wiping off.

Follow up with a good wax/sealant

And as always, work in a shaded environment and rehydrate frequently!
sohail99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 13:15   #7895
BHPian
 
sourav9385's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: London, U.K
Posts: 437
Thanked: 729 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
But when working by hand, you'll have to wipe off the first panel after applying to it to 3 panels and so on.

Ultimate polish has mild abrasives as well as fillers(glaze), you can use that too, but since it has abrasives, I'd recommend that you work the product on the panel for sometime before moving onto the next panel as abrasives need to be worked in order for them to refine the surface. After working it in, leave for a few minutes before wiping off.
Thanks for that info mate! Much appreciated!

So you suggest that I apply the glaze on the first panel, move on to other panels, and come back to the first panel after, say, 10-15 minutes?

And, I don't have any paste wax with me. All I have is the Meguiars Quick Wax. Will that help in sealing in the glaze & polish? Or do I need to get C845/M26?

Thanks again for the help! Cheers!
sourav9385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 13:35   #7896
Senior - BHPian
 
sohail99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,258
Thanked: 163 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Thanks for that info mate! Much appreciated!

So you suggest that I apply the glaze on the first panel, move on to other panels, and come back to the first panel after, say, 10-15 minutes?

And, I don't have any paste wax with me. All I have is the Meguiars Quick Wax. Will that help in sealing in the glaze & polish? Or do I need to get C845/M26?

Thanks again for the help! Cheers!
Yes! But I'd say you come back to wipe it off after 5-10-15 mins depending on the weather. (if its extremely hot outside, then the stuff will dry pretty quick, so then you come back to wipe it off after 5 mins or even sooner)

A dedicated wax or sealant is highly recommended. A Quick wax is great for touch ups between weekend maintenance details. Alone, it wont last as long! It will help in sealing glaze/polish, but I'm unsure about its durability when used without a basecoat of a sealant or wax.
sohail99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 13:47   #7897
BHPian
 
sourav9385's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: London, U.K
Posts: 437
Thanked: 729 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Yes! But I'd say you come back to wipe it off after 5-10-15 mins depending on the weather. (if its extremely hot outside, then the stuff will dry pretty quick, so then you come back to wipe it off after 5 mins or even sooner)

A dedicated wax or sealant is highly recommended. A Quick wax is great for touch ups between weekend maintenance details. Alone, it wont last as long! It will help in sealing glaze/polish, but I'm unsure about its durability when used without a basecoat of a sealant or wax.
That is some good info there. Thanks again!

Got a long weekend coming up from Friday, so will give it a try and post some pictures. Hopefully, the glaze gets here in time for me to try it out.

Being a n00b when it comes to detailing, I guess I've understood something finally. The process is like this, I guess?
  1. Wash
  2. Clay with Quick Detailer
  3. Polish
  4. Glaze
  5. Wax/Sealant
  6. Top up with wax/glaze/quick detailer as required

Does this make sense?
sourav9385 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 13:56   #7898
Senior - BHPian
 
sohail99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,258
Thanked: 163 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
That is some good info there. Thanks again!

Got a long weekend coming up from Friday, so will give it a try and post some pictures. Hopefully, the glaze gets here in time for me to try it out.

Being a n00b when it comes to detailing, I guess I've understood something finally. The process is like this, I guess?
  1. Wash
  2. Clay with Quick Detailer
  3. Polish
  4. Glaze
  5. Wax/Sealant
  6. Top up with wax/glaze/quick detailer as required
Does this make sense?
Yes, thats it!
Some ppl couple the wash with clay (like after the final rinse, while the car is still wet, you start the claying process with the QD(water alone isnt that good of a lubricant) and go around the car and afterwards give it another rinse before drying.

I love to blot dry as it reduces the risk of unseen contaminants on the paint being dragged around causing scratches.

Rest all the steps are good but you should make sure to take breaks in between as, if you're going to do all that in one go, its going to be really taxing on the body and mind. I'd recommend keeping a coolbox with you filled with chilled beverages and glucose drinks!
sohail99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 22:52   #7899
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: India
Posts: 349
Thanked: 91 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
Yes , i suggested that wax because 845 will have bonding issues with ultimate polish. and if you say that you will do a ipa wipedown before 845 , then it defeats the purpose of glaze because the that polish will hide minor swirls and ipa will remove polishing oils of ultimate polish.


You can always try small samples of both the products i have mentioned , they are available at your nearest meguiars stockist @ Rs 49/- each
Will the sealants also have bonding issues over Megs UP? How do we protect the paint in that case?

The second query is what is the exact effect of using polishes like Megs UP or any other polish. Does it lead to thinning of the coat and is harmful in the long run? Or does it only do the job of filler? If its only a filler then will it be useful in getting rid of minor scratches where the paint is intact but on a very close inspection a line is visible?
torque18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2013, 10:33   #7900
BHPian
 
gypsyFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mysore-Benglur
Posts: 320
Thanked: 188 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Yes, thats it!
Some ppl couple the wash with clay (like after the final rinse, while the car is still wet, you start the claying process with the QD(water alone isnt that good of a lubricant) and go around the car and afterwards give it another rinse before drying.

I love to blot dry as it reduces the risk of unseen contaminants on the paint being dragged around causing scratches.

Rest all the steps are good but you should make sure to take breaks in between as, if you're going to do all that in one go, its going to be really taxing on the body and mind. I'd recommend keeping a coolbox with you filled with chilled beverages and glucose drinks!
Thanks for compiling.
I am also a newbie here. After some offroading, my black Scorpio has lots of scratch marks, none of them have peeled of the paint. But they are clearly visible. What would be the best solution to bring the shine back?

Read somewhere on the forum that Formula1 Scratch out works but is not recommended for black paint.

I am not keen on using abraisive materials, to avoid paint damage.

Will Claying be a good option to fill up the scratches followed by polishing and then a sealant. If yes, could anyone recommend good non abraisive products for below
  1. Wash Shampoo
  2. Clay with Quick Detailer
  3. Polish
  4. Glaze
  5. Wax/Sealant
  6. Top up with wax/glaze/quick detailer as required
gypsyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2013, 11:38   #7901
BHPian
 
Parthasarathig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pothole-city
Posts: 878
Thanked: 489 Times
Default

Got a Karcher 3.2 wet and dry vaccum cleaner plus a ton of stuff from Keystone last night.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130904_205413.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130904_205423.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130904_205505.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130904_211319.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-20130904_211630.jpg  

Attached Images
 

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 5th September 2013 at 11:46.
Parthasarathig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2013, 14:34   #7902
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,848
Thanked: 7,257 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Some of those pictures look like they should be on the Team-BHPers Pets thread! Do you let those Karcher guys sleep on the bed?

Very nice purchases, especially the Karcher pair.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2013, 15:02   #7903
Senior - BHPian
 
sohail99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,258
Thanked: 163 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
Thanks for compiling.
I am also a newbie here. After some offroading, my black Scorpio has lots of scratch marks, none of them have peeled of the paint. But they are clearly visible. What would be the best solution to bring the shine back?

Read somewhere on the forum that Formula1 Scratch out works but is not recommended for black paint.

I am not keen on using abraisive materials, to avoid paint damage.

Will Claying be a good option to fill up the scratches followed by polishing and then a sealant. If yes, could anyone recommend good non abraisive products for below
  1. Wash Shampoo
  2. Clay with Quick Detailer
  3. Polish
  4. Glaze
  5. Wax/Sealant
  6. Top up with wax/glaze/quick detailer as required
Clay is only used for surface bonded contaminants! (the bumps that you feel when you run your hand across the paint surface)

It'll make your paint smooth and remove stubborn films thats it.

To remove scratches(I'm assuming they're swirls) you need a polish with abrasives in it. A polish like Megs ultimate polish should be good and easy to use, as it has fillers too and it combines polish and glaze into one step.

A polish without abrasives can be called a glaze. It has only fillers, but it wont yield satisfactory results on heavy swirls + it will probably wash off after 2-3 washes.
Depending on the paint condition and thickness of clear you will have to decide whether to use a polish or a glaze!
sohail99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2013, 15:51   #7904
BHPian
 
gypsyFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mysore-Benglur
Posts: 320
Thanked: 188 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post

Clay is only used for surface bonded contaminants! (the bumps that you feel when you run your hand across the paint surface)

It'll make your paint smooth and remove stubborn films thats it.

To remove scratches(I'm assuming they're swirls) you need a polish with abrasives in it. A polish like Megs ultimate polish should be good and easy to use, as it has fillers too and it combines polish and glaze into one step.

A polish without abrasives can be called a glaze. It has only fillers, but it wont yield satisfactory results on heavy swirls + it will probably wash off after 2-3 washes.
Depending on the paint condition and thickness of clear you will have to decide whether to use a polish or a glaze!
Mine is 1 year old Scorpio. I am not keen abrasives.
In glaze, what options do we have.

Other than megs how about Formula1 products?
gypsyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2013, 16:00   #7905
Senior - BHPian
 
sohail99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,258
Thanked: 163 Times
Default Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

I have used almost all formula1 products in the past and I wont recommend them even as a last resort, lol!

All of Formula1 products have abrasives, even waxes(those are called cleaner waxes).

You can buy stuff from Eco car care etc. Loads of places in Bangy sell quality products like Megs, Optimum etc.

With glazes, you'll never be able to permanently sort the problem, it'll keep coming back and you'll have to apply the glaze every week to keep up the appearance!

An acrylic glaze will be best for you, as it'll help a sealant to bond to it!
3M has a few variety of glazes, all of them will work! Be sure to wax/seal the surface after glaze. (follow the instructions on the bottle)
sohail99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cleaning, Polishing, Painting, etc - Carz Spa (Mangalore, KA) james Other Cities 7 17th December 2017 21:43
Car Detailing and Cleaning - 3M Car Care (Koramangala, Bangalore) nareshtrao Bangalore 26 16th September 2017 22:38
Professional Car Detailing - Sparkle Detailing (Delhi) tsk13 Delhi NCR 11 22nd October 2016 08:34
Windshield Polishing & Detailing: Glass Polish India Ltd (Chembur, Mumbai) Epic Mumbai 3 23rd March 2016 10:25
Car Cleaning & Polishing: Thejas Autospa (Phoenix Mall, Chennai) razorBlades Chennai 3 24th August 2015 11:05


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:28.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks